Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Allerdale
Monday, 18th November, 2019 10.00 am

Venue: Moorclose Community Centre

Contact: Daniel Hamilton  Email: daniel.hamilton@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

50.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Lord R Liddle, Mr K Little and Mr T Lywood.

 

51.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for       profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                         interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the          area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one        hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest made on this occasion.

 

52.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED, that     the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business.

53.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

None for this meeting at the time of despatch.

Minutes:

There were no public questions, petitions or statements made on this occasion.

 

54.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 98 KB

To confirm the minutes of the last meeting held on 3 September 2019 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED, that                 the minutes of the meeting held on 3 September 2019 be confirmed as an accurate and complete record with the following amendments.

 

Minute 37 - Local Committee Devolved Budget 2019-2020 Monitoring Report Highways Budget – GreySouthern should read Greysouthen.

 

Minute 41 – Area Planning - It was AGREED that officers investigate whether the increase in Citizen’s Advice Bureau funding nationally would result in an increase in funding locally.

55.

Working Together Service pdf icon PDF 103 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To receive a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

To provide Members with an understanding of the next proposed steps for the Working Together Service.

 

Minutes:

Members had before them a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure, the purpose of report was to provide Members with an understanding of the next proposed steps for the Working Together Service. The update highlighted the development of a number of draft trial agreements with third parties to establish the suitability of the agreement document and support the determining of resources required to roll out the service county wide. There had been a 12 month long public engagement carried out around the county to enable the collation of information and the development of the service.

The service provided two clearly defined partnership agreements to first allow town and parish councils to employ an authorised ‘person’ to undertake agreed work on the highway categorised as low to medium risk activities. The second was designed to enable community groups to undertake low risk volunteer activities, with support and supervision from Cumbria County Council.

A list of example activities which could fall within these partnership agreements was provided;-

§  Maintaining ditches

§  Cleaning channels                          

§  Clearing outfalls                              

§  Rodding pipes (off highways)       

§  Cleaning leaves from gully grate              

§  Cleaning signs (non illuminated)                                      

§  Painting signs                                  

§  Removing vegetation

§  Grass cutting

§  Sweeping

§  Litter picking

§  Removing flyposting

§  Graffiti Removal

§  Cleaning bus shelters

§  Verge maintenance

§  Weed clearance

A discussion took place regarding the consultation that took place with CALC (Cumbria Association of Local Councils) and Members suggested more needed to be done to assure that Parishes and Community Groups know their responsibilities in line with this policy. It was AGREED that officers contact the clerks from the parish councils to arrange that the Working Together Service be formalised as an agenda item at parish meetings.

 

The Member for Cockermouth North requested that the Council engage with Cockermouth Civic Trust regarding the scheme.

 

The Highways Network Manager assured Members that the outcome of the draft trial would be fed back to Local Committee.

 

RESOLVED,             that Members note the contents of the report.

 

 

 

56.

Parking Services Update Report pdf icon PDF 121 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To receive a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update to Members on the enforcement of on and selected off-street parking in Allerdale.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which provided an update to Members on the enforcement of on-street parking in the Allerdale Local Committee area.

 

Members were informed that there were currently  2 vacancies for the role of Civic Enforcement Office in Allerdale. Interviews were held on 13 September 2019 and the positions had since been offered subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks. The Parking Manager told members that total number of Penalty Charge Notices that had been issued in Allerdale in 2019/20 to date was 5,470.

 

The report included the Parking Services Annual Report 2018/19 which provided information on the activities of the Service across Cumbria. Members thanked the Parking Manager for the informative report but suggested future reports are made more specific to each district. Members put Allerdale forward as a location that would we be willing to take part in any pilot schemes that the service may arrange to test new schemes.

 

A discussion took place regarding the issues that arise from enforcing parking restrictions and in particular problems that arise when parking near schools. Members heard about the work of Active Travel who have promoted Walking Bus/Park and Stride initiatives, which involve parking away from schools at designated sites and then having children walk with a chaperone to school.

Members thanked the Parking Services team for their work in meeting this issue and asked that they keep working to resolve these issues whilst keeping children’s safety as the priority.

 

Members sought clarification on the legal status of pavement parking. The Parking Manager discussed with Members the plans to initiate a short trial which will see the issuing of warning notices to deter vehicles parking on the pavement. The warning notices are not Penalty Charge Notices but are designed to act as a highly visible warning to educate motorists that pavement parking may present a hazard for many pedestrians including those with disabilities.

 

RESOLVED, that

 

1)    the update on the performance of the on-street parking enforcement service in the Allerdale locality be noted.

 

2)    the Parking Services Annual Report 2018/19 be noted.

 

3)    any ongoing issues with enforcement and parking management in the Allerdale division be considered in making improvements to the service.

 

57.

Allerdale Highways Working Group Minutes pdf icon PDF 63 KB

To receive the minutes of the last meeting of the Allerdale Highways Working Group held on 9 October 2019 (copy to follow).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,                 Members note the minutes of the last meeting of the Allerdale Highways Working Group held on 19 October 2019.

58.

Local Committee Devolved Budget 2019-2020 Monitoring Report Highways Budget pdf icon PDF 110 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To receive a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report asks Members to agree the Local Committee Devolved Budget 2019-2020 Monitoring Report Highways Budget.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members had before them a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with the Highways Programme Progress report.

 

The Highways Network Manager explains that a £16,113 underspend brought forward from the 2018/19 Devolved Highway Capital budget is to be vired into Minor Drainage together with £20,000 from Oaktree Crescent, Cockermouth.

 

The Local Member sought clarification regarding the works at Oaktree Crescent, Cockermouth and it was explained that works on the footway would be carried out at the end of the 2019/20 financial year and work on the carriageway would begin at the start of the 2020/21 financial year. The Local Member asked officers to note that work began at Oaktree Crescent in the last financial year and that delays had been caused by this. The Highways Network Manager responded by stating that scheduling the work as they had done would result in less obstruction for the public as all maintenance could be carried out consecutively. 

 

Members were informed that a further £10,000 underspend from Station Street, Keswick was to be vired into Minor Structural Maintenance.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

1)    Members note the Highways Devolved Revenue budget,

 

2)    Members note the Highways Devolved Capital Budget, and agree the highlighted virements to enable a balanced budget to be achieved.  

 

 

59.

Highways Asset Management Strategy pdf icon PDF 107 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To receive a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report which presented the details of the refreshed Highway Asset Management Strategy and a copy of the Delivery Plan that supports the Strategy. This refreshed Strategy was built upon the Strategy agreed by Cabinet in November 2015 and had been updated to include the adoption of the Well Managed Highway Infrastructure: A Code of Good Practice.

 

The Highways Network Manager informed Members that the Strategy was to be considered by Cabinet in January 2020 after which it would serve as evidence of self-assessment to the Department of Transport (DfT) as part of the Incentive Fund Self-Assessment. The Highways Network Manager took Members through the Delivery Plan and showing how it was structured around the five Council Plan key strands which were as follows:

 

·         Our Customers

·         Working Together

·         Enterprise and Efficiency

·         Prevention and Early Intervention

·         Digital Transformation

 

Members had a detailed discussion about the importance of embedding the principle of “No Surprises” which would ensure Members were the first to be contacted regarding events and issues in their Divisions.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

1)    the process for refreshing the Highway Asset Management Strategy be noted,

 

2)    the Delivery Plan that has been developed in support of the refreshed Highway Asset Management Strategy be noted.

 

60.

Area Planning pdf icon PDF 176 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides members with an update on agreed actions and activity within Allerdale.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members had before them a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which detailed the work of the committee and partner organisations to achieve shared aspirations in the community.

Members considered the report which highlighted a number of projects and detailed some of the discussion that took place at the most recent Area Planning session. She highlighted how the discussion at that session around libraries was fed into a county wide presentation at Local Committee Chairs and Leaders meeting. At the same session, Members were joined by officers from the Allerdale Borough Council to discuss the various funding streams that would benefit towns across Allerdale. In particular, the Borderlands Growth Deal funding was discussed as it could see one town in Allerdale benefitting directly from Place funding. The Area Manager reported that Silloth had been put forward by the district council to be considered. However, the Area Manager had received feedback about the level of engagement with local committee members, particularly as Silloth could qualify for separate funding as a coastal town. It was AGREED that the County Council and Allerdale Borough Council would continue to work together to identify and agree the location to be considered for Borderlands Growth Deal funding. 

In reference to Cockermouth’s Linking Lives project which aims to combat loneliness through church based events, Members asked whether officers would investigate how this could be rolled out across all of Allerdale.

RESOLVED that,

1)    County Council Members and officers continue to work with Allerdale Borough Council to identify and agree which town in Allerdale will be put forward formally by the County Council for the Borderlands Growth Deal funding,

 

2)    Members note the contents of the report.

 

 

61.

Investment in our Communities pdf icon PDF 315 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report sets out the priority areas in relation to people across Allerdale and identifies projects that are considered to improve the lives and opportunities for the local population.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which provided an update on the activity of the Council and partners that contributed to the community. The report also sets out the details of funding available and grant applications submitted against those funds that required local committee approval.

 

At its meeting on 5 June 2018, Allerdale Local Committee agreed to fund £15,000 from the General Provision Fund to support cycling initiatives within the Allerdale area to create a legacy from the Tour of Britain by encouraging good lifelong health activities. Although the overall funding was agreed, the Council’s Constitution Part 2D – Local Committees, section 5.1.2 (d) states that local committees.

 

Approve applications for grants from the Local Committee's budgets for amounts exceeding £5,000 in line with the policy.

 

Therefore, Members considered the application from Beacon Hill Bike Club to fund coaching and bike mechanic courses along with the purchase of a fleet of bikes which would enable the group to provide outreach cycling training sessions within primary schools.

 

A detailed discussion took place regarding Key Outcome Indicators disclosed as part of the Council Plan Delivery Plan. Members were concerned to see the number of outcomes to which were not in line with targets that had been set for the Allerdale area. The Area Manager drew Member’s attention to the fact that 4 of the 5 of the outcome indicators related to children and young people and it was AGREED that these outcomes be further discussed as part of the following agenda item.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

1)    Members note the contents of the report,

 

2)    Members agree to £6,000 of sums previously agreed to be utilised by Beacon Hill Bike Club towards training courses and bikes to provide outreach training sessions for primary age children.

 

 

 

 

62.

Investment in Children and Young People pdf icon PDF 138 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update on the key issues affecting children and young people in Allerdale, including current health issues. It sets out the details of funding available and grant applications submitted against those funds.

 

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which provided an update on the activity of the Council and partners that contributed to the Children and Young People’s Partnership.

 

The Area Manager took Members through the report detailing specific projects such as the study commissioned by the Children and Young People’s Partnership (C&YPP) to better understand the needs of young people at risk of becoming NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training). Members were advised that the results of the study had been shared with officers in the County Council, including the Assistant Director – Education Skills and would be discussed further at the C&YPP.

 

Members turned to the performance indicators that related to Allerdale’s poor performance in areas associated with children and young people. The Senior Manager – Children and Young People addressed some of the concerns of Members. The Local Committee were informed that the primary issue facing provision in the Allerdale area is staff instability and the need for extra resilience in the workforce. It was highlighted that children in need figures were showing improvement, this was due to the recruitment of 7 new social workers to help meet the need. Discussion took place regarding CAMHS which was pushing to improve their waiting times and referral procedure. Members asked that more be done to assure that those in need of the service still pursue a CAMHS assessment.

 

Members heard how interventions for children and young people were considered with support of the whole family in mind rather just the child and that the relevant links had been made with adult social care. As a result of this more practical support can be provided and more effective intervention can occur much earlier and prevent the need for Young People to become Looked After.

 

RESOLVED that,                 Members note the contents of the report.

63.

CHAMPION UPDATES

To receive updates from Allerdale’s Local Committee Champions.

 

Minutes:

The Armed Forces Champion thanked the veteran community for their engagement over recent months.

64.

VERBAL REPORTS FROM MEMBERS SERVING ON OUTSIDE BODIES

Members representing Allerdale Local Committee are invited to report back verbally on recent meetings they may have attended.

Minutes:

There were no verbal updates delivered on this occasion.

65.

ACTIONS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS pdf icon PDF 47 KB

[Electoral Divisions –  All Allerdale ]

 

To consider a report by the Area Support Manager (copy enclosed).

 

This report updates the Committees on actions arising from previous meetings.

 

Minutes:

Minute No 38 - Allerdale Borough Public Wifi Update – It was AGREED that an update be brought back to Local Committee from the Leader of Allerdale Borough Council.

 

Minute No 48 - Champion Updates – Members discussed the role of the Health and Wellbeing Champion and Mrs C McCarron-Holmes volunteered to take on this role. This was supported by Members at the meeting. It was AGREED that Democratic Services would look into whether the appointment could be made in this way or whether a specific recommendation needed to be made as part of a report. This will be clarified for the next meeting.

 

66.

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

To note that the next meeting will be held on Friday 17 January 2020 at Wigton Market Hall, Wigton at 10.00 am.

Minutes:

The next Allerdale Local Committee meeting will take place at 10am on 17 January 2020 at Wigton Market Hall.