Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Allerdale
Monday, 5th February, 2018 10.00 am

Venue: ENERGUS Conference Centre, Lillyhall, Workington

Contact: Jackie Currie  Email: jackie.currie@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

74.

ELECTION OF VICE CHAIR

To elect a Vice Chair for the rest of the municipal year

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that Mr AJ Markley be appointed as Vice Chair for the remainder of the municipal year.

 

The Chair and Vice Chair paid tribute to the Mr D Fairbairn for the excellent work he had done as the Vice Chair of Allerdale Local Committee.  All members agreed with this and asked that the best wishes of members be conveyed to him.

 

75.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr D Fairbairn, Mr HGG Graham, Mr A Kennon, Mrs M Rae.

 

76.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for            profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                                         interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the    area of the authority; and

 

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one            hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

Mr AJ Markley declared a non-pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in relation to Agenda Item No 12 – Investment in Children and Young People as he is a member of Silloth Town Council and they were referenced in the grant details for Silloth AFC.

 

Mrs C Tibble also declared a non-pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in relation to Agenda Item No 12 – Investment in Children and Young People, as she chaired the Seaton Village Hall Committee, who were landlords to Seaton Scouts.

 

77.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business.

 

78.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements made on this occasion.

 

79.

PRESENTATION - SUSTRANS

To receive a presentation from Nickie Wingfield and Gina Clark from Sustrans

 

Minutes:

Members received presentations from Ms G Clark and Ms N Wingfield from Sustrans.

 

Ms Clarke introduced herself as Sustrans Land Manager for the North East of England, which included Cumbria.  She updated members on the following:-

 

·      Who we are

·      What we do

·      Drainage Works

·      Route Management

·      Structures Management

·      Litter and Anti Social Behaviour

·      Working in Partnership with others

 

One of the members asked for further details on the de-vegetation works undertaken by Sustrans.  There was a problem in the Cockermouth area and she wondered if Sustrans had any specialist advisors that might be able to help.  Ms Clarke AGREED to leave her contact details.

 

Ms Wingfield, Sustrans Project Manager updated members on the Tracks of the Ironmaster Project, and detailed the following:-

 

·      The place

·      The outcomes

·      Access Improvements of the projects

 

Members were delighted to receive the updates and thanked the officers for attending today to give informative presentations.

 

80.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 118 KB

To confirm the minutes of the last meeting held on 5 December 2017 (copy enclosed)

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the minutes of the previous meeting held on 5 December 2017 be agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chair.

 

81.

LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED BUDGET 2017/18 - MONITORING REPORT HIGHWAYS BUDGET pdf icon PDF 91 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale ]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways (copy enclosed)

 

This report presents the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with the Highways Programme Progress report, as detailed in the attached appendices.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways which presented the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with the Highways Programme Progress report.

 

The Highways Network Manager said negotiations were taking place with United Utilities about damages to the highway on a couple of schemes.  She would keep members posted on this.

 

RESOLVED that,

(1)       Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Revenue budget, attached as Appendix 1 to the report, is currently projecting a balanced budget at this stage of the financial year;

(2)       Members note the Highways Devolved Capital Budget, attached as Appendix 2 of the report, is currently projecting a balanced budget at this stage of the financial year.

82.

ALLERDALE HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP - 10 JANUARY 2018 pdf icon PDF 93 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways (copy enclosed)

 

This report gives details of the outcome of the meeting of the Highways  Working Group (HWG) held on 10 January 2018 and presents the HWG recommendations to the Local Committee for approval.

The Local Committee is also asked to consider additional recommendations related to the matters considered by the HWG.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways, which gave details of the outcome of the meeting of the Highways Working Group (HWG) held on 10 January 2018 and presented the HWG recommendations to the Local Committee for approval.

 

The Local Member for Wigton raised concerns with speeding traffic on the Wigton Bypass.  A couple of days ago another fatality had occurred and he asked the HWG to look at this.  He felt the speed limit along the length of the bypass was too fast and should be reduced to 30mph around the junctions with traffic islands and turn right lanes.  These concerns were noted and the Traffic Management Team Leader would speak to the CNDR to find out when the last safety audit was carried out and would report back to the Highways Working Group, and local member on this.

 

The Local Member for Wigton had in the past spoken to officers about a possible scheme for the introduction of a footpath at Cross Lane, which was not included in the list presented.

 

The Highways Network Manager explained that the list before members was for schemes to renew/reconstruct existing highway, not to create new footways.  Officers would review this and liaise with the Local Member.

 

(1)          Minutes

 

RESOLVED that Allerdale Local Committee notes the minutes of the meeting held on 10 December 2018 and the recommendations.

 

(2)          Provisional Devolved Capital Programme for Allerdale 2018/29

 

RESOLVED that Local Committee agree the proposed Devolved NPRN Programme of Works for 2018/19, as set out within the report as attached as Appendix 2, subject to Cabinet’s confirmation of the devolved highways budget allocations for 2018/19.

 

(3)          Provisional Devolved Highways Revenue Budget for Alledale 2018/19

 

RESOLVED that members agree the proposed Devolved Highways Revenue Budget for Allerdale 2018/19, as set out within the report as attached as Appendix 3, subject to Cabinet’s confirmation of the devolved highways budget allocations for 2018/19.

 

(4)          Maryport Traffic Regulation Order Review

 

RESOLVED that, having taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 more specifically referred to at paragraph 7.2 of the report attached as Appendix 4, “The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Maryport and Surrounding Area) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) Order 20><” (“the Order”) be brought into operation, as advertised.

 

83.

ALLERDALE AREA MANAGER'S REPORT pdf icon PDF 128 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report provides members with an update on the activities of the Allerdale Community Services Team and presents the budget for the current financial year.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Local Committee considered a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services which provided members with an update on the activities of the Allerdale Community Services Team and presented the budget for the current financial year.

 

The Area Manager provided updates on:-

 

·      Area Planning

·      Public Health and Communities

·      Library Services

·      Member Champions

 

The Area Manager advised members of an issue which had occurred recently at Maryport Library.  There had been an incident of anti social behaviour in  the library, which had resulted in the library having to be closed.  Staff members from the Community Development Team had been working out of the library in the short term o ensure the service remained open to the public.

 

Members were concerned about this, especially in relation to the lone worker element.  The County Council had a duty of care to keep employees safe and they asked that a more detailed report on the lone worker policy be brought to a future meeting.  This was AGREED.

 

In relation to the Member Champion it was AGREED that Mrs C Tibble be appointed as the Allerdale Mental Wellness Champion.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

(1)       Budget - members note the expenditure to 31 January 2018 from the 2017-18 budgets as set out in Appendix 1 of the report;

(2)       Area Planning - members note the continuing area planning activity in the current year;

(3)       Public health - members note the update on recent activity around Health and Wellbeing across Allerdale as set out in paragraphs 4.6 to 4.15 of the report;

(4)       Library Service - members note the update on recent activity in the library service across Allerdale as set out in paragraphs 4.16 to 4.21 of the report;

(5)       Member Champions – Mrs C Tibble be appointed as the Mental Wellness Champion from Allerdale Local Committee.

 

84.

ALLERDALE LOCAL COMMITTEE GRANTS pdf icon PDF 158 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report sets out the priority areas in relation to people across Allerdale and identifies projects that are considered to improve the lives and opportunities for the local population.

 

Minutes:

Members had before them a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services which set out the priority areas in relation to people across Allerdale and identified projects that were considered to improve the lives and opportunities for the local population.

 

A General Provision budget was allocated to Allerdale Local Committee of £77,164.  It was agreed at its meeting on 10 July 2017 to set aside a fund of £16,000 to be awarded to small community projects and a fund of £50,000 to be awarded to projects that meet the priorities and funding criteria agreed by local committee.  The former were awarded in consultation with the Local Member, those awarded from the larger fund required local committee approval and were presented in this report.

 

Members had not fully appreciated how the criteria for funding for these budget lines would work, and asked a number of questions about this.  The Area Manager provided them with a response.

 

The Area Manager outlined the projects presented to members today for funding, including:-

Community Waste Projects

·         Project 1 - Friends of Holme St. Cuthbert School

The weekly Eco Club was set up in September 2017 and was run by volunteers and parents. The club was run at the school but was open to the wider community..

The club had proved very successful and the group would like to develop this further. The group had applied for funding towards purchasing containers for planting, a composter, a worm villa, recycling bins and a recycled garden bench.

The cost of the project would be £3,603 and the group were applying for the full cost.  The group had previously fundraised to enable them to start the Eco Club and purchase materials.

·         Project 2 - North Allerdale Development Trust

NADT run an upcycling programme aimed at young people who were at risk of falling out of full time education.  The programme worked with individuals and the families to create a tailored project which was delivered by youth work professionals in a workshop environment in Wigton.

The project encouraged the reuse of waste products which were previously destined for landfill, these items were then upcycled or refurbished into something that could be sold. The individual would learn new skills and could add the project to their CV.

The group would like funding to purchase a gazebo to create an outdoor sanding area and some new equipment which would allow them to include larger furniture items in their programme.

 

·         Project 3 - Melbreak Communities

Melbreak Communities were a voluntary group made up of people from four parishes covering - Buttermere, Lorton, Loweswater and Blindbothel.  Formed in 2009 and brought together to put together an Action Plan for the area addressing issues under safety, security and independent living, housing, transport, recreation and social activities and environment.

Funding would be used to put on a series of free starter workshops entitled 'Make and Mend' in four venues in Lorton and Loweswater. The aim was to encourage members  ...  view the full minutes text for item 84.

85.

INVESTMENT IN CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE pdf icon PDF 163 KB

[Electoral Divisions:  All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report sets out the priority areas in relation to children and young people across Allerdale and identifies projects that require grant funding from local committee to improve the lives and opportunities for children and young people.

 

Minutes:

Mr AJ Markley declared a non-pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in relation to Agenda Item No 12 – Investment in Children and Young People as he is a member of Silloth Town Council and they were referenced in the grant details for Silloth AFC.

 

Mrs C Tibble also declared a non-pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in relation to Agenda Item No 12 – Investment in Children and Young People, as she chaired the Seaton Village Hall Committee, who were landlords to Seaton Scouts.

 

Allerdale Local Committee considered a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services which set out the priority areas in relation to children and young people across Allerdale and identified projects that required grant funding from local committee to improve the lives and opportunities for children and young people.

 

The Area Manager reminded members that all applications go through a robust scrutiny to ensure that grant giving at Allerdale Local Committee was consistent with the grant giving priorities, key themes and would provide longer term benefits.  The Area Manager then talked members through the individual projects.

 

All of the projects would be funded from the Allerdale Local Committee 0-19 budget line.

 

·         Project 1 - Silloth AFC

 

Silloth Sports Association was working with Silloth Town Council to raise funding to install a floodlit multi-use games area (MUGA) and outdoor fitness equipment.  This would provide access to football, rugby, netball and basketball pitches and outdoor gym equipment.

 

The intention for the new facilities was to enhance the existing sporting facilities in the area and promote healthy lifestyles. The new area would allow children and young people to participate in recreational sport all year round and would address some of the anti-social behaviour issues in the Town.

 

The total cost of the project was £138,000 and the organisation had applied for £5,000.

 

·         Project 2 - CADAS

 

CADAS would like to run a pilot to deliver drug and alcohol education sessions in secondary schools following an increase in substance use by young people and young people being affected by a family members substance use.

 

CADAS will deliver group education sessions to increase the knowledge and understanding around substance use, how to keep themselves safe and where they can approach for help.

 

The total cost of the project was £4,500 and the organisation has applied for 100% of the cost.

 

·         Project 3 - Great Clifton Community Youth Group

 

The Great Clifton Community Youth Group (GCCYG) was set up in 2017 with the support of the Parish Council in response to complaints from residents of antisocial behaviour by young people.

 

The spirit of Great Clifton when it was a mining community had been progressively lost, and had recently suffered from an influx of families in difficulty.  The rugby league team was disbanded in 2016 in part because there were no suitable changing rooms. There was now an active junior rugby club, but players must leave at age eleven, again because there were no changing  ...  view the full minutes text for item 85.

86.

NOMINATIONS - LA Governors of Nursery, Primary and Secondary Schools pdf icon PDF 43 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report by the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

The report seeks approval of nominations of Cumbria County Council Governors of Nursery, Primary and Secondary Schools

 

Minutes:

Members still had a number of concerns about the process for nominating school governors to nursery, primary and secondary schools in Allerdale.  More than one member had been placed in the embarrassing situation of having to go back to someone they had nominated to say the school had chosen someone else.  The Area Manager confirmed this was a problem right across the county, not just in Allerdale, and the Area Managers were looking at this.

 

RESOLVED that subject to their agreement, the following be nominated to serve as governors of nursery, primary or secondary schools in Allerdale:-

 

Wigton Infants School        AfsahOoomar Snaith

12 Highfield Court

Wigton

Cumbria CA7 6DR

 

Our Lady & St Patricks        Mr M Watmough

Catholic Primary School     Challoner

                                                Ambleside Road

                                                Keswick

                                                Cumbria CA12 4AF

 

Grasslot Infant School        Ms K Allen

                                                19 Maple Close

                                                Ellenborough

                                                Maryport

                                                Cumbria CA15 7DF

 

West Cumbria Learning     Ms J Beech

Centre                                    17 Church Road

                                                Seaton

                                                Workington

                                                Cumbria CA14 1PG

 

87.

ACTIONS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS pdf icon PDF 40 KB

[Electoral Divisions –  All Allerdale ]

 

To consider a report by the Area Support Manager (copy enclosed).

 

This report updates the Committees on actions arising from previous meetings.

 

Minutes:

In considering the outstanding actions progress list it was AGREED that the following items be removed from the list, as they were now completed:-

 

·         5 December 2017 Minute No 67 – Defibrillator Training – this had now been arranged, and would be taking place on 27 February.

·         5 December 2017 Minute No 71 – Children’s Champion Update – the letter to Overend Road had been sent to staff

·         5 December 2017 Minute No 72 – Iggesund Local Liaison Group – Mrs Tibble was now receiving invites to the meetings

 

88.

CHILDREN'S CHAMPION UPDATE

To receive a verbal update from Allerdale Local Committee’s Children’s Champion

Minutes:

There was no update from the Children’s Champion for this meeting.  However, he did refer to the recent good news that Ofsted inspectors had concluded in their latest inspection report that all services for children provided by Cumbria County Council had improved significantly.  As a result, the intensified monitoring of the council’s performance by the Department for Education would now end.

 

All members were delighted to hear this news.

 

89.

VERBAL REPORTS FROM MEMBERS SERVING ON OUTSIDE BODIES

Members representing Allerdale Local Committee are invited to report back verbally on recent meetings they may have attended.

Minutes:

Mrs Tibble gave members an update on the recently held Cumbria Police and Crime Panel meeting.  It was AGREED that the Allerdale Divisional Commander should be invite to attend a future meeting.

 

90.

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on 3 April 2018 at Wigton Market Hall at 10am.

 

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on 3 April 2018 at Wigton Market Hall at 10am