Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Barrow
Friday, 18th September, 2020 10.30 am

Venue: This will be a virtual meeting, therefore, will not take place in a physical location. To view this event please click link below:

Contact: Lynn Harker  Email: lynn.harker@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

15.

Roll Call for Members and Officers

Minutes:

To note all the above members and officers were in attendance at the meeting.

 

16.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence on this occasion.

 

Mr W McEwan left during the meeting due to technical issues which were out of his control.

 

17.

Disclosures of Interest

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

            (a)    Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)    Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer.

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)    The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)    The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

            (a)    That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

            (b)    Either –

 

(i)            The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

                     (ii)        If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

Mr B Shirley declared an interest in Agenda Item 7 – Tackling Physical Education (minute no 21 refers) as he was the Chair of Barrow and District Junior Football League.

 

18.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item of business.

 

19.

Public Participation

There are no public questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

20.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 94 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 7 July 2020 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the minutes of the meeting held on 7 July 2020 be confirmed as a correct record.

 

21.

Tackling Physical Inactivity pdf icon PDF 1 MB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To receive a presentation from Active Cumbria (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a detailed presentation from Active Cumbia regarding Tackling Physical Inactivity in both adults and children and young people.

 

Members welcomed the presentation but raised their concerns regarding the language and images which had been used.  It was felt that the language could have psychological effects and that the images should include a range of  ages and body images.  The Senior Manager – Active Cumbria agreed to look at the language and images and include information which was more reflective of the population. 

 

The Committee was informed that the Five Year Plan was being shaped and suggested that the local members for Dalton North and Old Barrow who had initially raised the concerns regarding images and language, together with a representative from Public Health be involved in discussions to ensure it contained motivating language and images.

 

The Committee praised the work undertaken by Active Cumbria in Barrow but felt there was a need to engage with the community to motivate and promote the activities available for all generations.  Officers acknowledged this was key and felt there was a need to introduce behaviour change supported by campaigns. 

 

The Committee discussed the new cycling initiatives and officers highlighted how those were emerging with the development of the Barrow Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan.  Members suggested that an Area Planning event be scheduled to discuss these further and consider how a Community Trust could be established to help maintain cycling routes in the Barrow area in the future. 

 

The Committee raised their concerns regarding a number of the statistics in the presentation.  Officers explained that behaviour change was important to improve health and wellbeing and that children and families were being encouraged at an early age.  Members felt there was a need to have a wide range of activities available to encourage and stimulate children and young people.  Members highlighted the need to focus on activities other than those sport?related and that use should be made of the natural environment in the Barrow area.

 

A discussion took place regarding the effects of deprivation on the health of communities.  It was agreed that a list of the priority Lower Super Output Areas and divisions that were identified by Active Cumbria for Older Adults and Low Socio?Economic Groups respectively would be circulated to all members.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, thanked the officer for an informative presentation.

 

RESOLVED,   that

 

                          (1)          the update be noted;

 

                          (2)          an Area Planning event be scheduled to consider a Community Trust for cycling in the Barrow area;

 

                          (3)          the local members for Dalton North and Old Barrow, together with a representative from Public Health, be involved in discussions regarding the language and images in the Five Year Plan.

 

22.

Parking Services Update pdf icon PDF 122 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the activity of the parking team for the first five months of this financial year 2020/21 and the Parking Annual Report for the financial year 2019/20.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which detailed the activity of the Parking Team for the first five months of the financial year 2020/21.  It was explained that much of that period was during the lockdown of the COVID 19 pandemic when proactive enforcement had been reduced.  It was noted that the parking officers were redeployed to assist in local communities but enforcement had returned on a phased approach from June.

 

Members also received the Parking Annual Report for the financial year 2019/20 which gave a summary of parking activities during that year.

 

The Committee was informed that towards the end of the 2019/20 financial year, when the COVID-19 pandemic became prevalent across the UK and the Library, where parking permits were distributed from, was closed and permits were issued remotely. 

 

Members emphasised their concerns regarding the decision taken by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure to continue with the remote distribution of permits permanently without any consultation with the Local Committee.  Members explained their vision for a central one?stop shop, to include both the Borough and County Councils, to be based in the Barrow Town Hall, highlighting their wish for this service to remain in Barrow and, therefore, retain employment in the local area.  The Local Committee agreed that when the COVID 19 pandemic was over and the central reception desk at Barrow Town Hall was open they would be asking for the Barrow parking permits to be issued from there.

 

A discussion took place regarding resources within the Service and it was confirmed that a Barrow Team Manager remained in post with an additional Parking Enforcement Officer for the Barrow area to be recruited imminently.

 

Members drew attention to concerns regarding issues for temporary residents, contractors and armed forces personnel in the Barrow area, obtaining Residents’ Parking Permits.  The Traffic Manager confirmed that temporary parking permits were available initially for six months and asked members to contact him direct with any specific problems.

 

The local Member for Hindpool raised concerns regarding the lack of on?street parking in her Division due to the number of parking permits issued for multiple occupancy residential accommodation.  The Traffic Manager informed the Committee that a Parking Study was being undertaken in the Eden area and part of that Study would include discussions regarding the number of on?street parking permits issued per household which would be taken into consideration for the whole of the county.

 

During the course of discussion a concern was raised regarding the delay in the issue of new Blue Badges.  Officers confirmed that enforcement of out?of?date Blue Badges would not take place in the foreseeable future. 

 

A discussion took place regarding the number of outstanding Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs)  It was confirmed there was a delay in PCNs issued and payment received highlighting that the number of outstanding payments was for those issued in August.

 

RESOLVED,   that the report be noted.

 

23.

Barrow Local Committee Highways Capital and Revenue Programme Update 2020/21 pdf icon PDF 109 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports and updates Members as to current progress on these budget lines.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which detailed the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports and gave an update as to current progress on those budget lines.

 

The Committee noted that the original  Devolved Highways Revenue budget was £782,608 and Devolved Highways Capital budget was £1,323,034.  It was explained that the carry forward of the under or accelerated spend during 2019/20 was approved at a meeting of Cabinet inJune 2020 which meant that the Devolved Highways Revenue budget was now £849,635 and the Devolved Highways Capital budget £1,179,802.  Members were informed there was a considerable work programme for this year (as detailed in the appendices to the report).

 

The local Member for Roosecote raised concerns regarding the safety of pedestrians on Redmans Way, the walkway along Channelside and the Local Area Highways Manager confirmed that works would start on the bridge imminently.

 

The local Member for Hindpool asked for more detailed information regarding works which had been undertaken and works scheduled on the various backstreets.  The Local Area Highways Manager agreed to provide an updated list.

 

The local Member for Dalton South asked for an update on Coronation Drive.  Members were informed the scheme was outside a school, therefore, needed to be undertaken during school holidays.  The works, due to have taken place during the summer holidays, had been postponed due to the current pandemic but were scheduled to take place next year.  It was explained that if the budget could be carried forward this would take place during the summer holidays of 2021 but otherwise works would be undertaken during either February or Easter half term.

 

RESOLVED,   that the report be noted.

 

24.

Barrow Area Planning Report pdf icon PDF 370 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update on its work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.  It also includes a financial statement in support of the work of the Local Committee for Members’ information.

 

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which brought together information from across the Community teams including Community Development, Waste Prevention and Libraries and provided an update on work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.

 

Members received information regarding an application from Cumbria Youth Alliance which was a registered charity established in 1997 set up to be the lead organisation for youth work in Cumbria and support young people aged 14 to 25 who were furthest from the labour market.

 

The Committee was informed the application was the final year of a three year Big Lottery Funded Project run in partnership with Cumbria County Council.  It was explained that the Group was working jointly to reduce duplication and ensure that they filled the gaps in the emotional/mental health provision for young people in Barrow.  Members noted that the grant would be used to bring in match funding from Big Lottery so it could increase the investment in services that would support the emotional resilience of young people across Barrow.

 

Members noted that if a grant of £10,000 was awarded that enabled the organisation to commission £32,000 of programmes in Barrow Borough, therefore, increasing the impact of what they could achieve with support.  It was highlighted that all of the £10,000 would be used to commission local organisations/services that would directly support young people in the Barrow Borough area.

 

The Committee received an update on the Children’s Services Pilot Approach.  It was explained that in the south of the County a pilot approach to new ways of working was being established with local partners including The Well, Family Action and Women’s Community Matters, together with the police and health colleagues. 

 

Members noted one of the key issues that had been highlighted related to the impact of drugs and alcohol.  It was explained that as a result, and following discussions, a proposal had been made to bring a full time member of staff from The Well in addition to a number of volunteers to support this pilot.  In order to provide capacity around this Project and enable The Well to provide additional staffing resource to the work, Local Committee was asked to consider contributing to funding this position at £7,500 from the Local Committee Children’s Strategic Funding. 

 

The Committee was informed that Barrow Foodbank received community grants a number of years ago to support vulnerable families and children at Christmas time.  It was explained this was to provide extra non-essential ‘nice to have’ food Christmas provisions and a small gift for families and children to go some way to reduce the financial burden/pressure on families at Christmas time. 

 

Members were, therefore, asked to consider awarding a grant of £10,000 from the General Provisions budget towards the cost of the Christmas Provision Pack.  It was highlighted that this would enable further funding to then be applied from funds such as Barrow Borough Council Hardship Fund.

 

The Committee was informed that due  ...  view the full minutes text for item 24.

25.

Health and Wellbeing Update pdf icon PDF 184 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To receive a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

The Committee received a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which gave an update on the work of the Public Health Locality Manager to improve health and wellbeing outcomes in Barrow.  The report detailed information regarding COVID 19, Barrow Health and Wellbeing Partnership and Suicide Prevention.

 

The Public Health Locality Manager gave an update on COVID 19 informing members there had been 60 new cases in the Barrow area which was the highest in Cumbria and double the national average.  The Committee was informed that due to the issues regarding testing a mobile testing unit had been made available in the area for a two week period with plans for a further unit to be made available.

 

A discussion took place regarding the Barrow Health and Wellbeing Partnership which had met twice during the COVID19 outbreak with discussions around ‘new normal’ and how it could support recovery.

 

Members were informed that a trauma-informed approach aimed to provide an environment where a person who had experienced trauma felt safe and could develop trust.  It was explained this required a cultural shift as well as behavioural and a change in the way front-line staff understood the impact of trauma, which in turn influenced their practice.  The Committee noted that work had commenced and, on a locality footprint, representatives from key organisations including NHS, Police, BAE, voluntary sector organisations, Safa and Mind had been brought together to work towards developing an approach to embed Trauma Informed Practice.

 

The local Member for Dalton North raised the concerns of his constituents regarding preparations for a second wave of the pandemic.  He asked if the Public Health Local Manager could provide a written response detailing the actions which had been undertaken to ensure services were better prepared.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Local Committee, thanked all officers for their support and dedication during the pandemic, highlighting their appreciation for the provision of information as requested.

 

RESOLVED,   that the report be noted.

 

26.

Reports from Members Serving on Outside Bodies

To enable local members to give verbal reports on and share information in respect of outside bodies to which they have been appointed.

 

Minutes:

There were no reports from members serving on outside bodies on this occasion.

 

27.

Date of Next Meeting

The next scheduled meeting will take place on Wednesday 18 November 2020 at 10.30 am at a venue to be confirmed.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the next scheduled meeting will take place on Wednesday 18 November 2020 at 10.30 am at a venue to be confirmed.