Agenda and minutes

County Council Local Committee for Barrow - Tuesday, 15th March, 2022 10.30 am

Venue: Community Room, Nan Tait Centre, Barrow-in-Furness, LA14 1LG

Contact: Lynn Harker  Email: lynn.harker@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

Ms S Bibby and Ms M Burgess attended for agenda item 6 – Developing the Sacred Heart Community Hub (minute 62 refers).

 

57.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Ms H Wall and Mr R Worthington.

 

58.

Disclosures of Interest

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

            (a)    Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)    Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer.

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)    The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)    The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

            (a)    That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

            (b)    Either –

 

(i)            The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

                     (ii)        If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

Mr K Hamilton declared a non?pecuniary interest in agenda item 6 – Developing the Sacred Heart Community Hub (Minute 62 refers) as he was a member of the Sacred Heart Community Hub Committee.

 

59.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item of business.

 

60.

Public Participation

(1)       To receive a petition requesting a review of parking restrictions in Ramsden Street, Barrow-in-Furness.

 

(2)       There are no public questions or statements relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

Minutes:

(1)       The Committee received a petition from Mr K Bland requesting a review of parking restrictions on Ramsden Street, Barrow-in-Furness near the junction of Marsh Street.

 

            Mr Bland explained that the existing parking restrictions were originally put in place when the area formed part of a regular bus route explaining that this was no longer the case.  It was highlighted that the restrictions on the north side of Ramsden Street prevented residents parking close to their homes and it was felt that their removal as well as the restrictions on the opposite side of the road would alleviate parking problems in the area.

 

            The local Member for Hindpool supported the petition and acknowledged the concerns raised.  It was suggested that this matter be investigated as soon as possible and that a study of parking around the town centre be undertaken in the future.

 

            The Chair thanked Mr Bland for the petition and acknowledged the issues raised.  It was agreed that the matter would be considered further at a future meeting of Barrow Highways Advisory Sub?Group and that in due course a parking study around the town centre should be undertaken. 

 

(2)       There were no questions or statements relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

61.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 316 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 17 January 2022 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the minutes of the meeting held on 17 January 2022 be confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

 

62.

Developing the Sacred Heart Community Hub

To receive a verbal update from representatives of the Sacred Heart Community Hub.

 

Minutes:

Mandy Burgess and Stacey Bibby attended the meeting and gave an update on the recently formed Sacred Heart Community Hub which was based in the Presbytery of the Church alongside the Nursery. 

 

The Committee was informed that the Hub, although in its early stages, now had an enthusiastic Committee.  It was explained that it was anticipated the Hub would include a foodbank, clothing bank, IT support and services as well as the provision of access to local services including Citizens Advice Bureau, Women’s Centre, local housing, health visitors, police and community support officers.

 

Members were informed that an official logo had been agreed, therefore, a website and Facebook page would soon be created to promote the services available at the Hub.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, welcomed the partnership working and congratulated everyone involved.

 

63.

Barrow Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan pdf icon PDF 225 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report seeks approval of the Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) for Barrow-in-Furness.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which sought approval of the Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) for Barrow-in-Furness.

 

The Committee was informed that the Barrow LCWIP was not a funded plan, however, having this in place would put the Council in the best possible position to secure future funding for the delivery of improvements.  It was explained that it provided a prioritised investment plan for cycling and walking in the Barrow District over the next 15 years.

 

Members noted that the Plan considered the overlaps and synergies with other plans, schemes and strategies.  It was explained that this meant the network priorities would be reviewed and updated periodically, particularly if there were any significant changes in local circumstances, such as the publication of new policies or strategies, new development sites, successful funding bids and as walking and cycling networks matured and expanded.

 

The Committee was informed the LCWIP for Barrow-in-Furness was a live document that would be regularly reviewed to ensure the most appropriate routes for cycling and walking were identified and prioritised for future delivery.

 

The local Member for Roosecote raised his concerns regarding emergency vehicle access on?highway lightly segregated cycleways.  The Lead Officer Infrastructure Planning explained that this would be investigated in?depth at the detailed design stage.

 

The local Member for Dalton North welcomed the Plan, highlighting the positive connections between rural and urban areas.  During discussion it was suggested that the appropriate local Member also be consulted if any necessary minor amendments were needed to the Barrow-in-Furness LCWIP prior to its publication.

 

The local Member for Hindpool, whilst welcoming the Plan, highlighted current issues with regards to the cycle lane on Greengate Street and asked that consultation take place with residents for any future schemes.  The Lead Officer Infrastructure Planning explained that consultation would take place on all individual schemes.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, welcomed the LCWIP and thanked officers.

 

RESOLVED,   that

 

                          (1)       the LCWIP for Barrow-in-Furness (attached at Appendix 1 to the report) be approved;

 

                          (2)       authority be delegated to the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure in consultation with the Chair and Vice Chair of the Local Committee and appropriate local Member to make any necessary minor amendments to the Barrow-in-Furness LCWIP prior to its publication.

 

64.

Parking Services Report pdf icon PDF 315 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the activity of the Parking Team for the first 10 months of this financial year, 2021/22.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented the activity of the Parking Team for the first 10 months of the current financial year.

 

During the course of discussion it was confirmed that the recent referral from Barrow Local Committee regarding the proposal to apply to the DVLA to devolve powers to Cumbria County Council as the Local Highway Authority to take enforcement action on untaxed vehicles on the roads in their area would be considered by Cabinet on 17 March 2022.

 

The local Member for Dalton North asked for financial information regarding income against the total number of Parking Enforcement Notices issued.  The Parking Manager confirmed this information would be included in the Parking Annual Report which would be presented to the Committee at their meeting in September.  The local Member also asked if the Service had any agreed key performance indicators and it was confirmed there were no targets set for Parking Enforcement Officers.

 

The Committee referred to the areas highlighted in the parking enforcement information detailed at paragraph 4.3 of the report and asked for confirmation as to where this referred to.  Officers explained the information referred to district wards rather than current divisions and it was agreed this would be investigated.  During the course of discussion it was suggested that information relating to the Town Centre and Outer Barrow would be appreciated in the future.

 

A discussion took place regarding the revised Parking Team staffing structure; the Parking Manager confirmed that two vacant posts for the Barrow and South Lakeland Team would be dedicated to the Barrow area whilst highlighting the need for resilience between the two teams.

 

The local Members for Walney North and Walney South highlighted issues in their divisions and asked for Penalty Charge Notice information specific to their areas.  It was agreed the Parking Manager would provide this information direct.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, congratulated the Parking Manager on his recent appointment to the post and the award which the Team had received.  Members asked their thanks and appreciation be passed onto the Team for their support regarding the parking issues on Crellin Street.

 

RESOLVED,   that the report be noted.

 

65.

Barrow Area Planning Report pdf icon PDF 727 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update on its work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.  It also includes a financial statement in support of the work of the Local Committee for Members’ information.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a detailed report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which included information from across the Community teams including Community Development, Archives and libraries, and provided an update on work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.

 

The Committee received an update on the Dalton Borderlands Place Programme and noted that the Place Plan for Dalton had now been endorsed.  It was explained that the Town Team would form workstream groups to progress the next phase of the Programme.

 

Members were informed that the Place and Enterprise Team were developing a commission to appoint an external consultant to help shape the identified projects in the programme into Green Book compliant business cases.

 

The Committee received a positive update on the Barrow Town Deal and noted that work continued to progress to drive the projects forward.  The Area Manager explained that additional temporary capacity had been recruited to the Community Team to assist with the delivery of the projects.

 

The local Member for Dalton North informed the members that Dowdales School were installing a 3G pitch due to be opened soon, and thanked the Community Team and Local Committee for their support in this matter.

 

The Committee was informed that a vacancy had arisen for a Local Authority committee member at Newbridge House Pupil Referral Unit (PRU).  It was explained that the process for appointment to a PRU was undertaken by the Local Authority and as this PRU covered both the Barrow and South Lakeland area it was a joint appointment by both local committees.  Members noted that the current Local Authority Committee Member was Councillor Janet Willis who had expressed an interest to continue in this position.

 

Members were informed that as at 31 January an overspend of £1,276 had been reported in relation to School Crossing Patrols.  It was explained that Local Committee was able to vire funding across their budget lines, therefore, the Committee was asked to consider viring £7,000 from General Provisions to School Crossing Patrols for the remainder of the financial year.

 

Members received a positive detailed update from the Library Customer Manager.  The Committee was informed that the Barrow Library and Archive Service continued to deliver a wide range of activities and work across communities within the borough.  The Committee was informed that opening hours of all branch libraries would revert back to pre?pandemic hours with the exception of Roose and Walney which would no longer close at lunchtime.

 

The Committee was informed that in addition to the proposals for the 2022?23 funding, members also agreed to support a contribution of £1,500 for the Library Service.   Officers explained this would act as match for funding from the Borough Council’s Heritage Action Zone to enable the restoration of the heritage lamp stand as reported at the last meeting of Local Committee.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, thanked the Community Team for their invaluable support.

 

RESOLVED,   that

 

                          (1)       the report be noted;

 

                          (2)  ...  view the full minutes text for item 65.

66.

Devolved Highways Capital and Revenue Update 2021/22 pdf icon PDF 201 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports and updates Members as to current progress on these budget lines.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports and updated members as to current progress on those budget lines.

 

Members were informed that currently the Devolved Highways Revenue budget was forecasting an underspend and the Devolved Capital budget was forecasting an accelerated spend at the financial year end.  The Committee noted that the Local Highways Team was working to manage those and undertake additional works wherever possible. It was explained that it was expected that the full programme of capital works would be delivered by the end of the financial year.

 

A discussion took place regarding the calculation and allocation of funding and concerns were raised regarding the reduction in budgets.

 

RESOLVED,   that Committee note the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2021/22 and the commitments and expenditure recorded to the end of January 2021 (as shown in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report).

 

67.

Barrow Local Committee Provisional Devolved Highways Capital and Revenue Programme 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 312 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report seeks approval from Barrow Local Committee for the final Devolved Highways Capital and Revenue Programme 2022/23 including funding allocated within the additional pothole fund stream.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which sought approval for the final Devolved Highways Capital and Revenue Programme 2022/23; including funding allocated within the additional pothole fund stream, which would form the basis of the Local Committee’s Devolved Highways Capital Programme for 2022/23 and provide a core programme for future years subject to annual review. 

 

The Committee was informed that the allocation for 2022/23 was £991,000 for the Devolved Capital element and £728,000 for the additional pothole fund allocation.  The revenue allocation for 2022/23 is £822,996. 

 

The Local Area Highways Network Manager highlighted the increase in the gulley cleansing funding allocation informing members that all other budget allocations had remained the same as the previous financial year.

 

During the course of discussion the Local Area Highways Network Manager confirmed that Westshore Road was a footway scheme.

 

A discussion took place regarding the additional £200,000 Pothole funding allocated at a recent meeting of full Council.  The Local Area Highways Network Manager confirmed that members could suggest schemes to be undertaken using this additional funding which would be agreed by the Local Committee at a later date.

 

The local Member for Hindpool asked for further information regarding the installation of a pelican crossing and deployment of a Speed Indicator Device on Greengate Street.  It was agreed the Traffic Manager Team Leader would investigate those matters further and report back direct.

 

RESOLVED,   that the proposed Devolved Highways Capital and Revenue Programmes for 2022/23 (as detailed in the Appendices to the report) be approved.

 

68.

Barrow Highways Advisory Sub-Group pdf icon PDF 301 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report gives recommendations for approval by Barrow Local Committee from the Highways Advisory Sub-Group meeting held on 11 February 2022.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which gave details of the discussion and recommendations of the Highways Advisory Sub-Group (HASG) for the Barrow area which met on 11 February 2022.

 

The local Member for Dalton North asked for confirmation of S106 allocations.  The Local Area Highways Network Manager confirmed that the identified allocation would be secured as developments and applications progressed.

 

(1)       Minutes

 

RESOLVED,    that the minutes of the meeting held on 11 February 2022 be noted.

 

(2)       Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) Procedure

 

RESOLVED,    that the current TRO process be changed so that officers may proceed to statutory advertisement and consultation of TROs following consultation with the local member(s).

 

69.

Reports from Members Serving on Outside Bodies

To enable local members to give verbal reports on and share information in respect of outside bodies to which they have been appointed.

 

Minutes:

It was noted there were no updates from members serving on outside bodies on this occasion.

 

70.

Date of Next Meeting

The next scheduled meeting will take place on Wednesday 11 May 2022 at 10.30 am in the Community Room, Nan Tait Centre, Barrow?in?Furness, LA14 1LG.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the next scheduled meeting will take place on Wednesday 11 May 2022 at 10.30 am in the Community Room, Nan Tait Centre, Barrow in Furness, LA14 1LG.