Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Barrow
Wednesday, 9th May, 2018 10.30 am

Venue: Committee Room 4, Town Hall, Duke Street, Barrow-in-Furness, LA14 2LD.

Contact: Lynn Harker  Email: lynn.harker@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Election of Chair

To elect a Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,     that Mr K Hamilton be appointed Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

 

Mr Hamilton thereupon took the Chair.

 

2.

Election of Vice-Chair

To elect a Vice-Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,     that Mr W McEwan be appointed Vice-Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

 

3.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr B Shirley and Mr M Worth.

 

4.

Disclosures of Interest

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

            (a)    Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)    Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer.

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)    The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)    The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

            (a)    That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

            (b)    Either –

 

(i)            The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

                     (ii)        If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

There were no disclosures of interest made on this occasion.

 

5.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item of business.

 

6.

Public Participation

There are no public questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

7.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 88 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 5 March 2018 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the minutes of the meeting held on 5 March 2018 be confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

 

8.

Local Committee Highways Devolved and Non Devolved Budget 2017-18 Provisional Out-turn Report pdf icon PDF 93 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides the provisional outturn expenditure coded against the Local Committee’s Highways Revenue and Capital Budgets as at 31 March 2018.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways which presented the provisional outturn expenditure coded against the Local Committee’s Highways Revenue and Capital budgets as at 31 March 2018.

 

Members were informed that the additional DfT pothole funding allocation for the Barrow district was anticipated to be between £305,000 and £350,000. 

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, thanked the officer for a positive report.

 

RESOLVED,     that the Devolved Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non Devolved Capital budget provisional outturns for 2017/18 (as detailed in appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report) be noted.

 

9.

Highways Advisory Sub-Group pdf icon PDF 97 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways (copy enclosed).

 

This report gives recommendations for approval by Barrow Local Committee from the Highways Advisory Sub-Group meeting held on 4 April 2018.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways which gave details of the discussion and recommendations of the Highways Advisory Sub-Group (HASG) for the Barrow area which met on 4 April 2018.

 

The Committee received an update regarding the School Crossing Patrol located at Bath Street.  Members were informed that a permanent scheme to increase safety measures in the area would be undertaken during the school summer holidays.  It was explained that as an interim measure temporary barriers had been located at the site and the School Crossing Patrol had been issued with a body camera.

 

The local Member for Walney South raised his concerns regarding the lack of communication regarding new road markings on Carr Lane, Walney.  The Committee were informed this was part of the ‘England Coast Path’ which was led by Natural England.  It was explained this did not change any existing restrictions on the length of highway.  During the course of discussion the local Member requested that a reduction in the speed limit in that area be considered and reported to the next meeting of the Barrow Highways Sub?Group. 

 

The Committee received a brief update regarding the forthcoming scheme on Walney Bridge.  Members were informed that Story Contractors had been appointed to waterproof Jubilee Bridge with works beginning in June 2018 and an anticipated finish date of end of September 2018.  It was explained that the Contractor would return in the summer of 2019 to paint the bridge.

 

Whilst acknowledging the disruption the scheme would create it was highlighted that works had been scheduled to keep this as minimal as possible.  Officers explained that two lanes of traffic would operate during the day when it was anticipated most of the works would be undertaken, with a single lane available overnight.  Members were informed that as part of the Contract traffic management personnel would be available throughout the delivery of the scheme seven days a week, 24 hours a day to deal with any issues.

 

The Committee were informed that members of the Community Development Team were in the process of organising a number of engagement events and would also be using social media sites to communicate with the public.  It was also agreed that the Highways Network Manager would contact Stuart Dolan, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Services to discuss the traffic management plan.

 

Members received an update on weed spraying in the Barrow district and were informed that the first spray had been undertaken with the second one to follow at the end of July.  The Highways Network Manager asked to be updated by members with regards to any areas which had not been sprayed.

 

The Chair highlighted the importance of good communications between officers and members when works were being undertaken in their division.

 

RESOLVED,    that

 

                           (1)         the minutes of the meeting held on 4 April 2018 be noted;

 

                           (2)         the applications received for Advisory Disabled Person’s Parking Bays between 1 March 2017 and 1 March 2018 (as  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

Local Committee Update pdf icon PDF 123 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update on its work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.  It also includes a financial statement in support of the work of the Local Committee for Members’ information.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Corporate Director - Health, Care and Community Services which provided an update on work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.

 

Mr W McEwan, Autism Champion for Barrow, highlighted the success of a scheme at Millom Library to make the facility autism-friendly.  It was agreed that this would be investigated for Barrow Library.

 

RESOLVED,     that

 

                            (1)       the report be noted;

 

                            (2)       the proposed changes to the Barrow Local Committee Area Priorities (as detailed in paragraph 4.3 i of the report) be agreed;

 

                            (3)       the 2018-19 proposed Cash LimitedBudget that was agreed at Full Council on 15 February 2018 (as shown in Appendix 1 of the report) be noted;

 

                            (4)       the proposed allocation of the devolved funding for the year 2018/19 (outlined in Appendix 2 developed in the Area Planning Session outlined in paragraph 4.3 of the report) be noted;

 

                            (5)       the summary provisional outturn for Barrow Local Committee’s Communities budget 2017-18 (referred to at Appendix 6 of the report) be noted;

 

                            (6)       work be undertaken to make Barrow Library autism?friendly following the Millom model.

 

11.

Children and Young People's Working Group pdf icon PDF 104 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report gives recommendations for approval by Barrow Local Committee from the Children and Young People’s Working Group meeting held on 24 April 2018.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a positive report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services which provided an update on the Children and Young People’s Working Group.

 

The successful step-up programme which had been funded by the Children and Young People’s Working Group and matched by Action for Children was highlighted.  Members noted that the original step?up programme had targeted 11?19 year olds who were experiencing difficulties in the home and portraying violence with siblings and parents.  It was explained that Action for Children had worked with Restorative Solutions to develop a programme for 8-11 year olds. 

 

Members were informed that following the programme three working groups had been established to look at the programme with a view to adjusting the content with a focus on more activities.  It was explained a further programme would start in September which it was hoped could be embedded within Action for Children services in the future. 

 

The Committee then received an update from Alison Meadows, Community Development Officer on the PREP pilot which focussed on a concentrated area in the Central Division. It was explained this was a collaborative approach between partners using existing partner agency volunteers who had accredited training to support families using a pre?early intervention model within their home setting.  Members were informed that the Working Group had provided start?up funding with additional funding for a five year programme being sought from the Lankelly Chase who were an independent foundation working in partnership with people across the UK to change the systems that perpetuate severe and multiple disadvantage.

 

It was explained that a community café was due to be held at Greengate Children’s Centre in early May to consult with families and discuss their desired outcomes from the programme.  It was noted that following this there would be an event involving Lankelly Chase to develop a funding bid.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, congratulated members and officers for the successful work they had undertaken.

 

RESOLVED,     that the report be noted.

 

12.

Nomination of Local Authority Governors of Nursery, Primary and Secondary Schools pdf icon PDF 37 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a schedule by the Corporate Director – Health Care and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report seeks approval of nominated County Council Governors of Nursery, Primary and Secondary Schools.

 

Minutes:

The Committee considered a schedule which outlined the position regarding vacant County Council Governor positions at County Council nursery, primary and secondary schools in the area.

 

RESOLVED,    that subject to their approval the following be appointed:-

 

                           School                                                             Nomination

 

                           Barrow Island Community School              Mrs H Wall

 

                           Ormsgill Nursery and Primary School        Mr W McEwan

 

13.

Fire and Rescue Service Member Champion pdf icon PDF 71 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Chief Fire Officer (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Assistant Chief Fire Officer which provided an overview and expectation in relation to the proposed reinvigoration of Fire Member Champions to support, assist and provide constructive challenge to the Council’s Fire, Rescue and Resilience Directorate.

 

The Committee were informed that Member Champions were elected Members who acted as an advocate or spokesperson for a specific area of the Council’s business.  It was explained the main responsibility for each Member Champion was to encourage communication and positive action over the issue they represented.  Members noted that the role of Champion complemented the responsibilities of the respective Portfolio Holder, the Chairs of Scrutiny Committees and other elected members with designated responsibilities.

 

During the course of discussion members were also informed that there was currently a campaign to recruit 10-12 on?call firefighters in the Barrow area with an anticipated start date of October 2018.

 

It was agreed that the Fire and Rescue Service would organise an event to enable members to visit the fire station at Barrow and the control room.

 

RESOLVED,     that

 

                            (1)       Mr M Worth be elected as the Barrow Local Committee’s Fire and Rescue Service Member Champion;

 

                            (2)       a visit be organised to the Barrow Fire Station and control room.

 

14.

Barrow Public Health and Community Development Update pdf icon PDF 115 KB

To receive a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report by the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services which updated members on the work of the Public Health Locality Manager and the Community Development Team to improve health and wellbeing outcomes in Barrow.

 

Members received an update on the Bay Health and Care Partners, Drugs Related Harm, Egerton Court, #BeWellFest and Older People Outreach.

 

The Committee congratulated the Team on the work they had undertaken particularly with regards to Drug Relating Harm in the Barrow area.  Members raised their concerns at the negative media coverage regarding this matter and were informed that the Public Health Locality Manager had contacted the County Council’s Communications Manager with regards to promoting the positive work which was being undertaken in the area.

 

The Public Health Locality Manager suggested that an event be organised by her Team to raise awareness of the problems which were encountered in the area through drug misuse and highlight the support which was available.  Members agreed that such an event take place and involve representatives from Barrow Borough Council and third sector organisations.

 

The Chair thanked the Public Locality Manager and her Team for a positive report.

 

RESOLVED,     that

 

                            (1)       the report be noted;

 

                            (2)       an event be organised regarding drug related harm.

 

15.

Reports from Members Serving on Outside Bodies

To enable local members to give verbal reports on and share information in respect of outside bodies to which they have been appointed.

 

Minutes:

The Committee received an update from Helen Wall in her role as a member of Inspiring Barrow Steering Group which was funded by the Big Lottery Fund.

 

Members were updated on the Kick Start Programme which was aimed at working with children who had been identified by a school to be in need of assistance in improving self-confidence, communication skills, improved self-efficacy, self-esteem and teamwork.  The successful Programme was delivered by Dave Cassidy, who had worked in training and education for over 20 years and was spread across the academic term calendar with Year 6 participating in term 1, Year 8 in term 2 and Year 7 in term 3.

 

The Programme offered a wide range of fun and challenging activities including half-term field trips of educational or self- improvement value and drew on various learning styles.  It illustrated that everybody had a different skill set and that transferable skills were essential in life for both school and work.  It was noted that mentoring was also available for children in Year 6 to prepare them for the transition to secondary school.

 

The Committee welcomed the positive update and members suggested that officers speak with representatives from Inspiring Barrow to ensure everyone was aware of the work being undertaken by all parties to ensure there was no duplication.

 

16.

Date of Next Meeting

The next scheduled meeting will take place on Friday 13 July 2018 at 10.30 am in Committee Room 4, Town Hall, Barrow?in?Furness, LA14 2LD.

 

Minutes:

It was suggested that future meetings of Barrow Local Committee take place at the Nan Tait Centre.  On being put to the vote it was

 

RESOLVED,    that the next scheduled meeting will take place on Friday 13 July 2018 at 10.30 am in Committee Room 4, Town Hall, Barrow-in-Furness, LA14 2LD.