Agenda and minutes

County Council Local Committee for Eden
Tuesday, 14th July, 2020 10.30 am

Venue: Please note this will be a virtual meeting and, therefore, will not take place in a physical location. Please follow the link to view this event:

Contact: Nicola Harrison  Email: nicola.harrison@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Please note this will be a virtual meeting and, therefore, will not take place in a physical location. Please follow the link to view this event:

2.

Roll Call of Members and Officers

Roll Call of Members and Officers

Minutes:

A roll call of Members and Officers was taken.

3.

Election of Chair

To elect a Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

Minutes:

RESOLVED that, Mr Dew be appointed as Chair for the ensuing year.

4.

Election of Vice Chair

To elect a Vice Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

Minutes:

RESOLVED that, Mr Whipp be appointed as Vice Chair for the ensuing year.

5.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Ms H Fearon.

6.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for            profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                                         interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the    area of the authority; and

 

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one            hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

There were no disclosures of interest made at the meeting.

7.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda

Minutes:

RESOLVED        that, the press and public not be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda.

 

8.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch of Agenda

Minutes:

There were no items of Public Participation for this meeting.

9.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 114 KB

To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 10 March 2020.

Minutes:

Corrections:

 

Page 14, Minute 89. Eden Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) – Consolidation of and Changes to Existing Restrictions and Introduction of Proposed New Restrictions:

 

3rd line, add an ‘s’ to ‘restriction’

5th line, replace ‘consolidation’ with consolidate’

 

RESOLVED that, subject to the corrections above, the minutes of the meeting held on 10 March 2020 be agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

10.

Presentation - Active Cumbria pdf icon PDF 936 KB

To receive a presentation from the Senior Manager (Development) Active Cumbria

Minutes:

A presentation was received from the Senior Manager (Development) Active Cumbria about tacking physical inactivity. The presentation covered the following:

 

·         Why physical activity?

·         The inactivity challenge – adults

·         The inactivity challenge – children and young people

·         3 year plan 2018-2021

·         Local delivery

·         Primary role headline priorities

·         Primary role priority areas

·         Looking ahead – post COVID 19 and a new 5 year plan

·         How can you help?

 

The purpose of the presentation was to inform members about what was being done to tackle inactivity in Cumbria and Eden. Since COVID 19, there had been a shift in opinion and now exercise was seen as a necessity. The Officer talked members through the presentation.

 

A member raised that some members of the public had been self-isolating during the COVID 19 lockdown and would be reluctant to leave home and asked how Active Cumbria would address this and if there was any Government guidance on this matter. The Senior Manager talked members through Active Cumbria’s continuing virtual support for individuals and families and the online resources available to support people through the lockdown period. He referred to leaflets from Public Health England (PHE) for older adults about exercise which had been circulated to those shielding or who may have been isolated during lockdown.

 

The same member referred to the 5 year plan regarding supporting the Climate Emergency agenda via Active Travel. He noted it was acceptable to encourage people to actively travel but asked what could be done if there was no public transport available and asked for suggestions on how this could be addressed. The Senior Manager reported on joint working with colleagues in Highways and Transport on this matter and highlighted a request from the DfT relating to when children returned to school to try to reduce the demand on public transport. The Senior Manager reported on a number of options to reduce demand such as creating more park and ride schemes and encouraging a drop off further away from school so children could walk part of the way.

 

Members were informed that the presentation could be widely shared and an offer was made for Active Cumbria to give the presentation to other interested groups. The Area Manager invited an Active Cumbria representative to join the Eden Recovery Group. The Chair informed the Committee about an Active Cumbria officer whose attendance was welcomed at the Committee’s Children and Young People Working Group. He reported on the physical activity initiatives that had been introduced through the Working Group.

 

The Local Member for Alston welcomed that the division was mentioned in the presentation and made a plea that there was visibility in the localities of the work that was being undertaken by Active Cumbria. She considered that joint working with support groups in Eden would maximise activity opportunities in the localities. The Senior Manager asked that if there were any physical activity and sports initiatives that members knew of, that they contacted his colleague Becky Underwood so Active Cumbria could engage and unlock  ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.

11.

Area Planning in Eden pdf icon PDF 110 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services.

 

The Area Manager’s report brings together information from across the Community teams including Community Development and Services, Public Health and Waste Prevention. This report provides Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of the budget position.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Corporate, Community and Customer Services regarding Area Planning in Eden. The report brought together information from across the community teams including community development and services as well as public health. An update was also provided on the work of each area identified against priorities. The report highlighted any current issues and provided an overview of the budget position. 

It was confirmed by the Senior Lawyer that now the Local Committee had resumed its public meetings that changes could be made to the recommendations set out in the reports.

The Area Manager introduced the report highlighting a number of key items. He welcomed that during the spread of COVID 19, many organisations, community groups and Council teams had worked together. He reported on the Eden Community Hub and how it was supported by multiple agencies and the work undertaken on the welfare helpline that supported the vulnerable in the community. He was pleased to report on the positive strategic working that had gone on during lockdown. The next phase was stabilisation and recovery in Eden and local stakeholders were sharing best practice to ensure the work already undertaken could be built upon. The existing structures were being formalised for health and wellbeing and policing for the future, post COVID 19. The aim was for recovery to be localised and the Area Manager reported on the work being undertaken in the localities to aid with opening up towns and villages. He thanked everyone involved in all the work that had been undertaken to date.

The Area Manager reported on the allocation of £5,000 to the development project in Matterdale. He drew members’ attention to the allocation of £4,433 for Carlisle and Eden Mind. He reassured members that officers were currently working on ways to reopen Eden Library service in a safe and secure way. Penrith library would be opened first then smaller branch libraries would follow.

A member congratulated all of the Eden based staff for their work and for their excellent joint working with the District Councils and members. All members were encouraged to spend their community budget allocation. The member thanked the County Council officer working with Matterdale residents for the work undertaken so far. He asked that the Living Building Challenge be recognised at Matterdale as the community wanted the community centre to be sustainable. He hoped that this could be then used as an example of best practice for similar projects. The same member asked what plans there were to make constructive use of the money that had not yet been spent in the out-turn budget for 2019/20. In relation to the Matterdale project, the Area Manager stated that the Council would continue to work closely with the community on this project and if further opportunities arose, they would be brought back before the Committee. In terms of the budget, the Area Manager highlighted that during the lockdown period, there had been opportunities to fund projects from other  ...  view the full minutes text for item 11.

12.

2019/20 HIGHWAYS BUDGET/PROGRAMME OUTTURN REPORT pdf icon PDF 102 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

This reportpresents the Highways Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital Budget outturn information, as detailed in the attached appendices.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure. The report presented the Highways Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital Budget outturn information, as detailed in the report’s appendices.

 

The Local Area Network Manager guided members through the report highlighting the budget headings which included the Revenue Budget, Devolved Capital Budget and the non-devolved PRN budget. He drew attention to the outturn spend expressing his thanks to his team for their excellent work. He added that the overspend on the devolved Highways Revenue Budget was £10,000 at the year-end which was an excellent position to be in.

 

The Local Area Network Manager gave a verbal update on the work of the Countryside Access Team, commenting on the work they undertook in 2019 which was not often publicised. He reported on the works already undertaken in a number of parishes in the Eden area this year and explained that their work was similar to Highways except they worked on softer surfaces. He listed works due to commence in a number of areas in Penrith. He explained the types of work currently being surveyed for the Penrith area such as road signage and vegetation clearance.

 

Members were guided through each budget heading identified in the appendices attached to the report and highlighted a number of schemes which had come under budget. A member acknowledged that this had been a challenging year for highways with 2020/21 possibly being the same.

 

A number of members congratulated the Local Area Network Manager and his team on the limited overspend on the Highways Revenue Budget. One member considered this to be a huge achievement given the current circumstances.

 

A number of Parish Councils had expressed their gratitude for the work that had been undertaken recently and this was conveyed to the Local Area Network Manager for him to share with his team.

 

A member asked for thanks to be conveyed to the Countryside Access Team for their work undertaken during the lockdown period. It was queried whether the profile of the work of the team could be raised and the size of the budget be shared so that expectations of the public could be managed as to what works could be completed.  The Local Area Network Manager would discuss the raising of the Countryside Access Team’s profile with the team

 

It was reported by a member that Bolton Parish Council welcomed that flood work at Lane End was being addressed. The member asked about the current A592 safety scheme at Patterdale and Ullswater where a number of smaller maintenance and reconfiguration schemes may be subsumed into a DfT Scheme. The Local Area Network Manager reassured the member that the scheme was still programmed to take place. An update was provided on two schemes at Shap which had come in under budget.

 

The Chair proposed to the Committee that the report be noted. As there was no dissent, it was

RESOLVED that,

 

1             Local Area Network Manager to discuss the raising of the Countryside  ...  view the full minutes text for item 12.

13.

ADDITIONAL POTHOLE ACTION FUND 2020/21 pdf icon PDF 99 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

This reportpresents the Additional Pothole Action Fund 2020/21 allocation for Eden, part of the Transport Infrastructure Investment Fund announced earlier this year by DfT.

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the additional Pothole Action Fund 2020/21. The report presented the Additional Pothole Action Fund 2020/21 allocation for Eden, part of the Transport Infrastructure Investment Fund announced earlier this year by the Department for Transport.

 

The Local Area Network Manager presented the positive news that £2,022k had been had been received in Eden to be spent on the NPRN network. He outlined where the money would be spent and was pleased to report that the money was not restricted in how it could be spent so a number of schemes could be brought forward into this financial year. The next Local Committee meeting in September would receive the list of schemes. Members were informed that money would be spent for example on surface dressing, jet patching, pre surface patching and footway works.

 

The Chair proposed to the Committee that the report be noted. As there was no dissent, it was

RESOLVED that, the report be noted.

14.

Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Minutes pdf icon PDF 75 KB

To note the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 2 March 2020

Minutes:

The Committee received the Minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 2 March 2020.

 

A member highlighted that Minute 25 recorded that the Chief Executive and the Leader would be attending the round of Local Committee meetings in May/June/July to discuss Local Plans however, this was not on the Agenda for today’s private member briefing on the rise of the Local Committee meeting. The Chair advised that he would raise this matter and invite them to a Local Committee meeting at a future date.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

1                             The Chair invite the Leader and Chief Executive to a future meeting of the Committee to discuss Local Plans.

2                             The minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 2 March 2020 be noted

15.

UPDATE FROM REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies they attend on behalf of Eden Local Committee

Minutes:

Mrs Bell provided an update on the Guilford Centre. She reported on the work undertaken by the acting Head and teachers for vulnerable children. The Centre was looking forward to opening in September.

 

Mr Dew gave and update on his attendance at the following meetings:

 

·         Multi Agency Strategic Coordinating Group (5 meetings)

·         Children in Care Council (2 meetings)

·         Eden Locality Children’s Partnership (part of Children’s Trust Board)

·         Eden Health and Wellbeing Forum

·         Eden Youth Council

 

A member asked about using the budget allocated for Appleby Fair for a different purpose as the Fair had not taken place this year. The Chair advised that this money would be used to fund an additional gully cleaner.

 

The Chair was asked to share the new priorities for the Children’s Trust Board with the Committee. The Chair confirmed this would happen in due course as they had not yet been agreed.

16.

ACTION LOG pdf icon PDF 26 KB

To update Members on progress of Actions agreed from previous meetings.

Minutes:

The Area Manager advised that the action relating to Mrs Bell as set out in the Action Log would take place once the discussions for next year’s Appleby Fair took place. He stated that he would ensure that Mrs Bell was regularly updated.

 

The Senior Democratic Services Officer advised that actions raised throughout the meeting would be added onto the Action Log.

 

A member highlighted his preference for future meetings to be held in a physical location instead of virtually, to ensure no one was excluded from Committee meetings.

 

RESOLVED that, the Action Log be updated by the Senior Democratic Services Officer.

17.

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on 28 September 2020 at 10.30am.

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Committee will be held on 28 September 2020 at 10.30am.