Agenda and minutes

County Council Local Committee for Eden - Tuesday, 23rd March, 2021 10.30 am

Contact: Nicola Harrison  Email: nicola.harrison@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

69.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Ms H Fearon.

70.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for            profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                                         interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the    area of the authority; and

 

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one            hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

Mr N Hughes declared a non-pecuniary interest in Agenda item 7 in relation to the Carlisle and Eden Citizens Advice Bureau as he used to volunteer for them.

71.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda

Minutes:

RESOLVED        that, the press and public not be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda.

 

72.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch of Agenda

Minutes:

There was no public participation for this meeting.

73.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 456 KB

To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 20 January 2021

 

Minutes:

Corrections:

 

Page 7: Nicola Parker – Infrastructure Planning Manager be added to the list of attendees.

 

Page 11, Minute 62, Resolution, 4th line to read ‘additional revenue to support the traffic management costs of the Appleby Horse Fair’.

 

RESOLVED that, subject to the corrections above, the minutes of the meeting held on 20 January 2021 were agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

74.

PRESENTATION: EDEN YOUTH COUNCIL

To receive a presentation on Eden Youth Council

Minutes:

Members received a presentation from the Targeted Youth Support Worker on the Eden Youth Council (EYC).

 

The presentation covered the following:

 

·         Eden Youth Council: The Youth Voice Group for Eden

·         The current team

·         Group Outcomes 2020

·         Group Outcomes (so far) 2021

·         Cumbrian youth votes in Make Your Mark votes over time and across all issues

·         Cumbrian youth votes for Mental Health over time

 

Following the presentation, the Chair talked positively about his work with EYC. He explained that he had attended Eden Youth Council’s meetings since he became a County Councillor in 2017and commented on the exceptional calibre and skill set of the members of EYC. He reported that the members of EYC had recently met with the Committee’s Children and Young People’s Working Group. He was pleased to champion EYC.

 

After talking about mental health and extolling the virtues of a young person in his division who was excelling in journalism particularly relating to mental health, a member expressed how important youth clubs were in Eden. He offered to speak with EYC on the ‘Free University’. He referred to the lack of public transport in the Eden area. He asked the Targeted Youth Support Worker to outline the aspirations of EYC and asked what the Committee could do for young people in Eden.

 

The Targeted Youth Support Worker outlined the ‘Make Your Mark’ Ballot process and commented that transport was an issue for young people. He explained how the Ballot issues were identified and that EYC’s work focussed on the top three issues. He highlighted that young people in Eden voted differently depending on their location in Eden. The Chair welcomed that the issues were driven by young people.

 

A number of members reported on their engagement with EYC and commented positively on the talents of its members. One member expressed the importance of drilling down information to a local level in order to understand local variations in Eden. This would help members connect with local young people and understand what was important to them. She asked that the ‘Make Your Mark’ ballot results be compared to the results from around the country so differences could be identified.

 

The same member expressed her surprise that Domestic Violence was positioned so high up on the ‘Make Your Mark’ ballot results. She queried whether this was due to a lack of support or because this was being reported more frequently. She asked that this be explored further.

 

The Targeted Youth Support Worker thanked the Committee for engaging with young people as he encouraged them to engage with decision makers. He explained how in 2021, data had been collected centrally due to the COVID 19 pandemic and considered that drilling information down to a local level would be beneficial and would be considered by his team following discussions with the British Youth Council. He was pleased to report that he was meeting with the Senior Manager - Health and Care Integration to look at the issue of domestic violence in more detail.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 74.

75.

AREA PLANNING IN EDEN pdf icon PDF 429 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services

 

This report provides Local Committeewith an update on the work of each area, identified activity againstpriorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of thebudget position.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services was considered which brought together information from across the community teams including community development andservices as well as public health. The report provides Local Committeewith an update on the work of each area, identified activity againstpriorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of thebudget position.

The Area Manager presented the report. He referred to the first anniversary of the COVID 19 Pandemic lockdown and added that there was optimism now due to the vaccination programme. The response to the pandemic continued to be a critical work stream for the Community Team. An increase in the number of people added to the shielding list had not led to a significant demand for practical support via the County Council’s support structure. Members were informed about the Area Planning Activity undertaken by the Team which included member attendance at an area planning and budget workshop on 23 February where £5,000 had been recommended to be awarded to Citizens Advice Carlisle and Eden, a youth employment hub and Cumbria Council for Voluntary Service.

A briefing was given on the business being undertaken by the Alston, Penrith, Appleby, Kirkby Stephen and Eden Lakes area planning groups. A detailed report was given on the business conducted at the Local Committee’s working groups. Members were informed that going forward, there would be a regular Public Health and Wellbeing update for members in the Area Planning in Eden report.

A member referred to the Eden Area Plan’s ‘access to services’ priority. She considered that the report did not refer to this and stated that as the end of lockdown was approaching, everyone was mindful that grants for transport services may be ending. Members were informed about the Cabinet review on transport for the future. The member referred to the request for a report on bus services in Eden adding that this was now an important piece of work for the Committee as improvements could not be made until there was an understanding of the current position. She expressed her concerns about the public’s access to transport services after lockdown.

The Area Manager advised the Committee of the legal advice confirming that Local Committees were now able to award grants to charitable transport services under community investment grant criteria. He commented on the project work that would be undertaken with the Rural Issues Working Group to identify transport issues and how the Committee could take the matter forward and this would be reported to a future meeting of the Committee. A member asked that all members had an input into this work as the issues affected all of Eden.

Mr N Hughes declared a non-pecuniary interest in the discussion relating to the Carlisle and Eden Citizen’s Advice Bureau as he used to volunteer for the organisation.

A member referred to £50,056 of unallocated resources and expressed his embarrassment that although there were needs in the Eden area, funds remained unallocated. He  ...  view the full minutes text for item 75.

76.

LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED BUDGET ALLOCATIONS pdf icon PDF 402 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services

 

This report outlines proposals, following a Local Committee seminar on 24 February 2021, toallocate the communities budget during the year 2021/22.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services regarding the Local Committee Devolved Budget Allocations. The report outlined proposals, following a Local Committee seminar on 24 February 2021, to allocate the communities budget during the year 2021/22.

 

The Area Manager guided members through the report and advised that members had reviewed the budget lines at a seminar session on 24 February 2021.

 

A member referred to the population numbers in the Electoral Divisions. She asked that the figure for Penrith East be reviewed due to the increase in new housing developments in the division. The same member suggested a member discussion on how the Environment Fund money would be allocated. The Area Manager confirmed the intention to hold a seminar on this issue and undertook to review the Penrith East population figures.

 

A member asked if money could be vired between budgets at any time of the year. With reference to the priorities table at Appendix A to the report, the same member asked if priorities could be amended. On the priority table, under the Rural Issues Working Group priorities, the member asked that the first sub priority link be amended to read ‘’integrated public and community transport’. The member referenced Integrated Care Communities, and asked for regular updates on the issue, particularly in relation to mental health. The Area Manager suggested that the proposed change be discussed at the working group and ratified at a future member workshop.

 

The Chair presented the recommendations to the Committee for agreement. As there was no dissent, it was,

 

RESOLVED, that

 

1             £24,332 is allocated to Area Planning from the Local Committee base budget.

2             £18,000 is allocated to Community Grants from the Local Committee base budget.

3             £29,464 is allocated to 0-19 Grants from the Local Committee base budget.

4             £10,000 is allocated to 0-19 Strategic development from the Local Committee base budget.

5             £9,696 be allocated to the School Crossing Patrol Servicefrom the Local Committee base budget.

6             £17,016 be allocated towards 11-19 Universal Servicesfrom the Local Committee base budget under the allocations described in paragraph 4.14.

7             The decision by Council to allocate an amount of£34,870 towards the Money Advice Service from the Local Committeebase budget be noted.

8             The allocation of an Environment Fund of £200,000, which is a one-off allocation for 2021/22 only be noted

77.

Eden Highways Revenue Budget 2021/22 pdf icon PDF 384 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

This report requests members to determine the distribution of resources among the budget heads within the highway maintenance revenue budget.

Minutes:

A report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure was considered regarding the Eden Highways Revenue Budget 2021/22. Members were requested to determine the distribution of resources among the budget headings within the highway maintenance revenue budget.

The Local Area Network Manager guided members through the report and explained that the Committee was now in a position to finalise the Highways Revenue Budget for 2021/22. He added that for the second year in a row, the revenue budget had increased in line with inflation. He drew members’ attention to the allocation of funding and in particular to the Appleby Fair budget. He reminded members of the workshop held where it was accepted in principle that £30,000 would be allocated to provide traffic management for the Fair on the understanding that costs for staff time would be funded from a county wide budget. Consequently, the estimated cost to Local Committee had reduced to £30,000 rather than £50,000.

A member noted that the Committee was advised to allocate the money even though at this current time, the Fair would not take place at its usual time of year, but may take place later in the year. A member asked for clarification as to whether a County Council central budget would cover staff costs. This was to ensure that Eden Local Committee would not need to fund the costs from a different budget. The Local Area Network Manager confirmed that staff costs at £20,000 would be funded from a county wide budget.

A number of members welcomed the explanation of how the Fair would be funded. One member talked about how the cost burden of funding the traffic management costs of the Fair fell to Eden Local Committee only because it was located in the Eden area and highlighted the dilemma that some work in Eden may not be completed due to the necessary allocation of funding to the Fair. However, the member was grateful that the corporate centre had taken on funding part of the associated Fair costs. Officers were congratulated for their efforts in keeping costs to the Committee to a minimum.

The Vice Chair of the Committee was thanked for the work he had done in bringing the Cabinet’s attention to this issue. The member considered this to be a good compromise for the people of Eden.

The Chair concurred with the previous member’s statement and looked forward to working jointly to reduce costs further.

The Chair put the recommendation to the Committee for agreement. As there was no dissent, it was,

RESOLVED that, the distribution of the devolved highways maintenance revenue budget for 2021/22 as proposed in paragraph 4.3 of the report be agreed.

 

78.

EDEN SPEED LIMIT REVIEWS pdf icon PDF 406 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

This report advises the Local Committee of the representations received during the statutory consultation and advertisement on a number of proposed speed limit changes throughout Eden. This is part of an ongoing Highways Capital programme to implement new and alter existing speed restrictions, where appropriate within the District.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure was considered regarding Eden Speed Limit reviews. The report advised the Local Committee of the representations received during the statutory consultation and advertisement on a number of proposed speed limit changes throughout Eden. This was part of an ongoing Highways Capital programme to implement new and alter existing speed restrictions, where appropriate within the District.A resolution was sought for the proposed introduction of the Order as detailed in Paragraph 3.1 of the report.

The Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden guided members through the report. She highlighted consultation responses for the Armathwaite proposals and the response of officers to the responses was provided.

Mrs Bell thanked the Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden for the work undertaken on the Beacon Edge proposal and highlighted that work continued on other proposals in the area. The Traffic Management Team Leader provided a timetable for the works at Beacon Edge.

A member asked for a speed limit review to be undertaken at Bolton Appleby.

After thanking the Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden for the work undertaken in Alston, Ms Driver thanked the residents of Nentsbury and Nenthall who had campaigned for a speed reduction in their area. Officers were thanked for working closely with the residents.

Mr Wentworth Waites thanked officers for the work undertaken in his electoral division and looked forward to the positive impact speed limits would have in his area.

Mrs Carrick thanked the Traffic Management Team Leader – Carlisle for the work he had undertaken with the Local Committee. She welcomed the work on a buffer zone in her electoral division.

The Chair put the recommendation as set out in the report to the Committee for agreement. As there was no dissent, it was,

RESOLVED that, having taken into consideration the representations which were received during the statutory consultation and advertisement period, and the matters contained in section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, which are more specifically referred to at paragraph 7.2 of this report,  the Local Committee agree that “The County of Cumbria (Various Towns and Villages in the District of Eden) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) Order ><” (“the Order”) be brought into operation, as advertised.

79.

EDEN BRIDGES 7.5T WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS pdf icon PDF 350 KB

[Electoral Divisions:Kirby Stephen and Alston and East Fellside]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

This report advises Members of representations received in response to the informal consultation to introduce weight restrictions on three bridges in the Eden area, those being Castle Bridge, Mallerstang; Rose Cottage Bridge, Hartley, and Broad Meadows Bridge, Melmerby.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure was considered regarding Eden Bridges 7.5t Weight Restrictions. The report advised members of representations received in response to the informal consultation to introduce weight restrictions on three bridges in the Eden area, those being Castle Bridge, Mallerstang; Rose Cottage Bridge, Hartley, and Broad Meadows Bridge, Melmerby. The report sought approval from members to proceed to statutory advertisement and consultation as referred to at paragraph 3.2 of the report, and then to bring the Order, into operation should there be no unresolved objections.

 

The Traffic Management Team Leader – Carlisle guided members through the report and highlighted residents’ concerns raised during the informal consultation on the three bridges. As a result of the proposals, further assessment would be undertaken by the Bridges team and inspections would continue to be carried out at Rose Cottage and Broad Meadows Bridges.

 

A member commented on a number of issues at Askham Bridge in Penrith which related to HGVs hitting the bridge. He asked if there were any plans for strengthening the bridge. The Traffic Management Team Leader – Carlisle advised that this question would be referred to the Bridges Team.

 

In referring to Melmerby Bridge, a member asked how the bridge condition would be monitored and how would residents be kept informed of future plans. The member highlighted that vehicles using the bridge were heavier than the bridge could support. The Traffic Management Team Leader – Carlisle provided information on the current assessment of the bridge and on the two courses of action being undertaken by the Council to resolve the issues at the bridge. A fuller response would be provided once the work had been completed.

In relation to Broad Meadows Bridge, a member expressed her concern that it was too weak to carry vehicles over 18t, however the recommendation was to take no further action at this time. The member asked what would happen if there was an accident and what was the risk to the County Council. The Traffic Management Team Leader – Carlisle provided a synopsis of the current situation and advised that the Bridges Team considered the risks to be minimal. He clarified that there would be further action in terms of assessment. In terms of both bridges where no further action was proposed, he confirmed that the bridges were currently safe to support the number and weight of vehicles using them.

The Chair thanked the Traffic Management Team Leader – Carlisle for his support to the Committee and wished him well for his retirement on behalf of the Local Committee.

The Chair presented the recommendations as set out in the report for agreement. As there was no dissent, it was,

RESOLVED that,

1       Members agree to proceed to statutory consultation and advertisement of a Traffic Regulation Order to introduce a 33 tonnes maximum gross vehicle weight restriction on the U3420 over the full extent of Castle Bridge, Mallerstang (“the Order”).

2     Any unresolved representations received to the Order,  ...  view the full minutes text for item 79.

80.

LOCAL COMMITTEE CHAIRS AND LEADERSHIP MINUTES pdf icon PDF 232 KB

To note the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 29 January 2021.

Minutes:

The Chair of the Committee presented the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 29 January 2021.

 

After welcoming the proposal for the creative use of buses which were not being used, a member asked how much input members would have on spending the Rural Mobility Fund. The Area Manager advised that members would be informed on the next steps as soon as the information became available. A member suggested that the Cabinet Working Group on transport provision across the county would likely be the most appropriate place to consider the Rural Mobility Fund.

 

RESOLVED that, the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 29 January 2021 be noted.

81.

UPDATE FROM REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies they attend on behalf of Eden Local Committee

Minutes:

There were no updates on Outside Bodies

82.

ACTION LOG pdf icon PDF 8 KB

To update Members on progress of Actions agreed from previous meetings.

 

Minutes:

Members reviewed the Action Log.

 

The Area Manager took the Committee though the Actions on the Action Log and provided an update on each entry. He proposed that all actions be removed.

 

A member referenced Action 2 and asked that when it was reported in the Area Planning in Eden report, that gaps were identified, priorities were set on factual information and that any progress made was reported.

 

A request was made for officers to establish the different mechanisms for funding bus routes. The Area Manager highlighted that this information would be gathered as part of area working and transport project work being undertaken alongside the Rural Issues Working Group.

 

Items 1, 2 and 3 were removed from the Action Log.

 

RESOLVED that, changes to the Action Log be made by the Senior Democratic Services Officer

83.

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on 24 May 2021 and will commence at 10.30am

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Committee would be held on 24 May 2021 at 10.30am.