Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Eden
Tuesday, 26th March, 2019 10.30 am

Venue: Control Room, Fire Headquarters, Penrith, Cumbria

Contact: Nicola Harrison  Email: nicola.harrison@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

104.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Miss H Fearon and Mr T Wentworth Waites.

105.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for            profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                                         interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the    area of the authority; and

 

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one            hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

No disclosures of interest were made at the meeting.

106.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda

Minutes:

RESOLVED,       that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda.

 

107.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements made at the meeting.

108.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 302 KB

To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 28 January 2019 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

Amendments were made to the Minutes as follows:

 

Minute 90 Presentation – Police and Crime Commissioner. Spelling correction - Mr Welch

 

Minute 93 Draft 2019/20 Highways Revenue Budget Allocation. Last paragraph insert the words ‘for traffic management’ before for Appleby Horse Fair.

 

Minute 97 Area Planning in Eden. Mr Hughes asked to be referred to as the Local Member for Eden Lakes.

 

Minute 97 Area Planning in Eden, page 16 5th line. Spelling correction – ‘for’ rather than ‘or’

 

RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 28 January 2019 be agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

 

109.

Area Planning pdf icon PDF 277 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed - Appendix O to follow).

 

The Area Manager’s report brings together information from across the Community teams including Community Development and Services, Public Health and Waste Prevention. This report provides Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of the budget position.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which brought together information from across the Community teams including community development and services and Public Health and Waste Prevention. The report provided an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlighted current issues and provided an overview of the budget position.

 

The Area Manager – Eden drew members’ attention to the work of the tripartite working group aimed at developing Penrith and supporting vibrancy. Initial meetings had been positive. Members were asked to support officers joining ta tripartite Penrith Town Development Group. Partial staffing changes at Kirkby Stephen library were reported.

 

A member expressed his disappointment at the amount of funding unallocated at the end of the financial year, asking that spending be spread throughout the year. Written confirmation was requested as to whether Shap continued to receive 11-19 funding. The Area Manager confirmed that Shap does not receive any 11-19 funding, but could make an application for 0-19 funding.

 

A member expressed a desire for an Armed Forces update at a future meeting and the Area Manager confirmed that he would look into this. It was questioned whether there had been independent verification of the appropriateness of the Share a Smile project. The Area Manager explained that the outcomes of the project were being tracked by Carlisle Eden Mind and that Integrated Care Communities would assist with this.

 

The Chairman advised members that the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure had been invited to a future Committee Seminar to talk about the Keswick to Penrith railway. It was noted that the appointment to the Local Committee’s Children and Young People Working Group would be decided at the next meeting of the Committee. Regular updates to Committee on the Eden Affordable Warmth Partnership were requested.

 

Support was given from a number of members for the new ways of working in Area Planning activity, in particular, working in partnership with other organisations was commended. In talking about Area Planning activity, a member commented on the merits of a co-production model rather than a consultation model and on the Committee being innovative in shaping area planning activity.

 

A number of members congratulated the residents of Nenthead for their vision and aspirations regarding the village play area project with a member advising on the future of the project once it was completed. A formal letter of congratulation would be sent from the Committee for the work undertaken on the play area.

 

In discussing the activity outlined in the report, a member asked officers to ensure that Eden Affordable Warmth Partnership targeted the people who needed it most and a query was made on the total actual and committed spend in the General Provision budget. An update was requested on Eden and South Lakeland Credit Union for a future meeting of the Committee, with a Committee Member offering to work with the Area Manager on a brief to provide to the organisation.

 

A member  ...  view the full minutes text for item 109.

110.

Highways Non Devolved Capital Programme for Eden 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 240 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Eden]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report advises members of the County Council’s Highways Non-Devolved Capital programme in Eden for 2019/20.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which advised on the County Council’s Highways Non Devolved Capital programme in Eden for 2019/20.

 

The Highway Network Manager guided members though the report highlighting that the cost of the Lowther Bridge scheme would increase, funding was available for three countryside access improvement schemes with further details to follow and that an update would be provided to Committee on surfacing and drainage schemes, once confirmation of the 2019/20 programme had been obtained.

 

The Chair reminded members to speak with the Highway Network Manager outside of the meeting regarding issues relating to their electoral division. A query was raised whether funding had been obtained from an organisation who had offered a funding commitment once planning permission had been granted for their development. This would be picked up outside of the meeting.

 

RESOLVED that the Highways Non-Devolved Capital programme in Eden for 2019/20 be noted as detailed in the report and attached appendices

111.

Highways Devolved Capital Programme for Eden 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 278 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Eden]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report sets out the proposed programme of works which is anticipated can be delivered through the devolved Highways Capital funding available for 2019/20.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Highways Devolved Capital Programme for Eden 2019/20. The report set out the proposed programme of works which it was anticipated could be delivered through the devolved Highways Capital funding available for 2019/20. The proposed capital programme allocations were summarised in the Appendices to the report.

 

The Highways Network Manager advised members on the Reported Defects; Planned Works Programme. Detailing improvements on how defects would be dealt with by the highways team through planning permanent repairs as opposed to reactive repairs, which made better use of the budget. Members were advised how this would happen in practice by utilising the Highways Integrated Management System or through safety inspection reports. The proposal to deal with gully emptying was highlighted and the Highways Team would initially be programming two days of scheduled work and three days ‘planned’ reactive work to deal with a backlog, while continually monitoring and reviewing performance.

 

Discussion took place on the expectations of the public and organisations such as Parish Councils that potholes were repaired and surface water removed from the roads. It was considered essential that how the Council used its budget to repair the highway and how schemes were chosen was open and transparent. It was questioned whether there could be urgent virement of money to pay for some schemes.

 

The Highways Network Manager talked about how the contribution of funding from partners could help deliver highway improvement schemes and the potential to look for additional sources of funding for these schemes from anyone who had an interest in a scheme. This would be a new way of working. The Chair offered members’ assistance where possible in securing funding for highways improvement schemes in order for them to be delivered. The importance of guidelines and strategic thinking in order to ascertain the schemes which benefitted the most people was suggested by a member.

 

The Highways Team was thanked for their continued excellent work.

 

RESOLVED that the proposed allocations of the devolved Highways Capital budget for 2019/20 be approved as summarised in paragraph 4.4 of the report and detailed in the appendices to the report.

112.

Eden Highways Revenue Budget 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 254 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Eden]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

Members are requested to determine the distribution of resources among the budget heads within the Highway Maintenance Revenue Budget.

 

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Eden Highways Revenue Budget 2019/20. The County Council’s revenue budget for 2019/20 was approved on 14 February 2019. The funding available for 2019/20 which was devolved to Eden Local Committee was the same as for 2018/19; £746,009. Members were asked to determine the distribution of resources among the budget heads within the Highway Maintenance Revenue Budget.

 

The Highways Network Manager drew members attention to a change in the proposed 2019/20 budget allocation for Appleby Fair which had increased by £5,000. This was to cover temporary traffic management measures on the A685 on areas where no encampments should be tolerated to avoid compromising road safety. The £5,000 had come from the drainage cleansing budget.

 

A member queried whether the decision not to tolerate encampments had been communicated to visitors to the Fair and had alternatives been offered to them. The Committee member who was also the member on the Appleby Horse Fair Multi-Agency Strategic Co-ordination Group (MASCG) advised that the Group had discussed this and it had been accepted the change was not significant but would be strictly enforced. The Group was investigating alternative sites for encampment and identifying Police resources. The Area Manager advised that all mechanisms to convey the message were being considered and appropriate mediums employed via the MASCG communications and engagement strategy.

 

The Highways Network Manager confirmed to members that the £5,000 could be a recurring cost. A member stated how they were often asked about highways related issues so considered it difficult to choose to reduce the budget in order to provide additional temporary traffic management measures. The member was concerned about conveying the message to Parish Councils that they would at best, receive the same level of drainage service as at present when it was widely believed that more would be beneficial.

 

In continuing the discussion, it was queried if other permanent action could be taken to reduce the recurring cost or a different budget be used. The Area Manager advised that this measure was being implemented this year as part of this year’s traffic management plan – a permanent action to resolve the issue was being reviewed.

 

Members made comments on the percentage of the Revenue Budget that the £5,000 represented, the previous referral from the Local Committee to Cabinet on extra funding for the Local Committee to support Appleby Fair, or to deliver residents’ requirements for highways improvements/repairs and how to convey to the public where the budget was spent. A member expressed that he was not comfortable supporting the budget increase.

 

Members talked about their responsibility to Appleby Fair and improving highways, on the difficult decision to be made and whether the solution would be temporary. It was highlighted that the £5,000 would benefit residents who encountered problems arising from the Fair and reduce disruption for them.

 

A member made reference to the recurrence of highway issues on the A685 and the Local Committee referral to Cabinet  ...  view the full minutes text for item 112.

113.

Local Committee Devolved Communities Budget 2019/20 - Proposed Allocations pdf icon PDF 270 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Eden]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

The report outlines proposals, following a Local Committee seminar on 6 March 2019, to allocate the communities budget during the year 2019/20.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services regarding the Eden Local Committee Devolved Communities Budget 2019/20 - Proposed Allocations. The report outlined proposals following a Local Committee seminar on 6 March 2019, to allocate the communities budget during the year 2019/20.

 

Members were updated on the position with the school crossing patrol at Appleby by the Area Manager.

 

RESOLVED that,

1             An amount of £24,093 be allocated to Area Planning Development from the Local Committee base budget.

2             An amount of £18,000 be allocated to Community Grants from the Local Committee base budget.

3             An amount of £29,695 be allocated to 0-19 Grants from the Local Committee base budget.

4             An amount of £10,000 be allocated to 0-19 Strategic Development from the Local Committee base budget.

5             An amount of £9,696 be allocated to the School Crossing Patrol Service from the Local Committee base budget.

6             An amount of £17,016 be allocated towards 11-19 Universal Services from the Local Committee base budget.

7             Local Committee note the decision by Council to allocate an amount of £34,870 towards the Money Advice Service from the Local Committee base budget.

 

114.

UPDATE FROM REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies they attend on behalf of Eden Local Committee.

 

Minutes:

Mr Dew gave updates on the following meetings which he had attended:

 

·         Holehird Trust meeting on 13 March 2019

·         Eden Health and Wellbeing Forum - 4 March 2019 meeting

·         You Said We Did - Being a Child in Cumbria on 23 March 2019

·         Appleby Horse Fair Multi-Agency Strategic Co-ordination Group (MASCG) 25 March meeting

 

Updates would be provided at a future meeting on the following:

 

·         CRASH Group

·         Fire Service Champion work

·         Eden and Carlisle Community Service Partnership

115.

ACTION LOG pdf icon PDF 159 KB

To update Members on progress of Actions agreed from previous meetings (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

Members reviewed the Action Log and made the following additions:

 

·         Penrith to Keswick Railway: Acting Executive Director – Economy and Highways be invited to a future Local Committee Seminar

·         Eden and South Lakeland Credit Union update

·         Appointment to Children and Young People Working Group

·         Regular updates on the Affordable Warmth Partnership

116.

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on 10 June 2019 at 10.30am at Fire Headquarters, Penrith Cumbria.

Minutes:

The next meeting would take place on 10 June 2019 at 10.30am, venue to be confirmed.