Agenda and minutes

County Council Local Committee for Carlisle
Thursday, 9th May, 2019 10.00 am

Venue: Conference Room A/B, Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle, CA1 1RD

Contact: Lynn Harker  Email: lynn.harker@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

ELECTION OF CHAIR

To elect a Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,     that Mr C Weber be appointed Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

 

Mr Weber thereupon took the Chair.

 

2.

ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIR

To elect a Vice-Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,     that Mr J Mallinson be appointed Vice?Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

 

3.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr N Marriner and Mr R Watson.

 

4.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

            (a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

            (a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

            (b)       Either –

 

(i)                 The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)               If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

There were no disclosures of interest on this occasion.

 

5.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting for any items of business on this occasion.

 

6.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There are no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

There were no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

7.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 248 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 19 March 2019 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

(1)       With reference to minute 86(7) – Referral Re: Tarn End Hotel (Talkin) Petition the local Member for Brampton raised the concerns of constituents regarding the fence which had been erected by the Developer.  The Highways Network Manager agreed to investigate this matter and report back direct.

 

(2)       With reference to minute 88 – Carlisle Infrastructure Development Working Group a discussion took place regarding the change of use of footpaths to shared use as part of the cycle network.  Members were informed this would require a traffic regulation order and upgrading of the footpath, highlighting that this was cost prohibitive for the Local Committee.

 

RESOLVED,    that the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 19 March 2019 be confirmed as circulated and thereupon signed by the Chair.

 

8.

AREA PLANNING REPORT pdf icon PDF 211 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update on its agreed activity, a financial statement in support of these activities and requests decisions on a range of issues.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which requested members to note the budget commitments, grant allocations from the recommendations of its Strategic Grants Panel and other relevant matters relating to Area Planning.

 

Members were informed that Councillor C Bowditch had resigned from Morton Community Centre, therefore, a vacancy existed for a member to be nominated by the Local Committee.

 

A discussion took place regarding grant allocations and members highlighted the previous decision agreed by the Local Committee to help deliver the Area Plan and identify areas each year to support applications.  It was suggested that future reports should include an explanation as to what priority theme each grant application met.

 

The local Member for Longtown gave a positive update on a grant of £2,000 which had been allocated to Arthuret Parish Council towards tackling issues around alcohol misuse.  Members were informed there had been an 80% reduction in alcohol related crime in the area.

 

RESOLVED,     that the following be noted:-

 

                            (1)       the commitments made and the remaining balances within delegated budgets (as detailed in Appendix 1 of the report);

 

                            (2)       a grant of £2,000 to Gateway4Women towards staffing and room hire for a dedicated fitness and dance programme;

 

                            (3)       a grant of £1,000 to Wetheral Cricket Club towards replacing grass covers for the grass wicket;

 

                            (4)       a grant of £2,000 to Cumbria Indoor Bowls Club towards a marketing and promotional programme with an aim to encourage younger members;

 

                            (5)       a grant of £2,000 to Music on the Marr music and arts festival towards running costs;

 

                            (6)       Mr J Bell be appointed as the Local Committee’s representative on the Morton Community Centre Management Committee.

 

9.

2019/20 HIGHWAYS BUDGET/PROGRAMME PROGRESS REPORT pdf icon PDF 238 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports, combined with the highways programme progress information, as detailed in the attached appendices.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which informed the Local Committee of the Highways Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports, combined with the highways programme progress information (detailed in the appendices attached to the report).

 

The local Member for Dalston and Burgh referred to the Scheme scheduled for the B5299 Dalston Village and asked if this would include junction improvements at The Grange development on Station Road, Dalston.  The Highways Network Manager anticipated the proposed Scheme would include some junction improvements explaining that the Developer was also responsible for improvements at this location. 

 

The local Member for Upperby raised his concerns regarding the condition of the road surface on Upperby Road, Carlisle.  Whilst acknowledging this did not form part of the current Programme it was felt this should be included as a future priority.  The Highways Network Manager confirmed this had been identified and would be considered this year if any Department for Transport finance became available.

 

The local Member for Stanwix Urban raised her concerns regarding the deteriorating road surface on Brampton Road, Carlisle.  Whilst the Highways Network Manager acknowledged the decline in the condition of the highway network due to the lack of funding he explained that schemes were allocated in accordance with the Authority’s Asset Management Policy.

 

The local Member for Belah raised a concern regarding the lack of traffic signals at the entrance to the new housing development on Windsor Way, Carlisle.  Members were informed that, as part of the development, it had been agreed that the developer would provide improvements at the junction.  The Highways Network Manager agreed to investigate this and report back direct.

 

A discussion took place regarding minor tree works and concerns were raised regarding the maintenance of a number of trees.  Members were informed that tree surveys were undertaken by an arboriculturist.  It was explained that a Tree Management Update report would be considered at the next meeting of the Carlisle Highways and Transport Working Group.

 

The local Member for Dalston and Burgh raised a concern regarding a tree in his Division at Raughton Head.  The Highways Network Manager confirmed he would investigate this matter and report back direct as soon as possible.

 

The local Member for Botcherby raised concerns regarding highway matters in his Division and it was confirmed that the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure had responded to him direct.

 

Whilst members acknowledged budget constraints they raised their concerns regarding the lack of dropped kerbs in the Carlisle area and how this affected access to local facilities.  During the course of discussion the surplus income from on?street parking enforcement was highlighted and it was explained this was used for highway related matters.  The Local Committee noted that at present this had been allocated for signs and lines but it was suggested that access improvement issues could be considered in the future.  It was agreed this matter would be raised at a future Local Committee Chairs  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 193 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides details of the meeting of the Highways and Transport Working Group held on 15 April 2019 and presents recommendations for the Local Committee to consider.  

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which gave details of the meeting of the Highways and Transport Working Group held on 15 April 2019 and presented recommendations to the Local Committee for approval.

 

(1)       Minutes

 

RESOLVED,     that the minutes be noted.

 

(2)       2018/19 Highways Budget/Programme Progress Report

 

RESOLVED,     that the following be noted:-

 

                            (a)       the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2018/19 and the commitments and expenditure recorded (detailed in appendices 1, 2, and 3 of the report, attached as appendix 2);

 

                            (b)       the programme progress information (referred to in appendices 1, 2 and 5 of the report, attached as appendix 2);

 

                            (c)        the Highways Revenue budget has been split for use against various budget headings;

 

                            (d)       the additional local transport capital budget allocations for 2018/19, the commitments, expenditure and the programme progress information (recorded in appendices 4 and 5 of the report, attached as appendix 2).

 

(3)       2019/20 Highways Budget/Programme Progress Report

 

RESOLVED,     that the following be noted:-

 

                            (a)       the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2019/20 and the commitments and expenditure recorded (detailed in appendices 1 and 2 of the report, attached as appendix 3);

 

                            (b)       the programme progress information (referred to in appendices 1 and 2 of the report, attached as appendix 3);

 

                            (c)        the Highways Revenue budget has been split for use against various budget headings.

 

(4)       Parking Issues on California Road

 

RESOLVED,     that this item be deferred to the next meeting of the Highways and Transport Working Group.

 

11.

INFRASTRUCTURE WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 229 KB

To receive the notes of the Infrastructure Working Group meeting held on 12 April 2019 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

The Notes of the meeting of the Infrastructure Working Group held on 12 April 2019 were noted.

 

12.

MEMBER CHAMPION UPDATES

To receive verbal updates from Carlisle Member Champions as follows:-

 

(a)       Armed Forces

(b)       Children in Care Council

(c)       Autism

 

Minutes:

(1)       Armed Forces

 

The Local Committee received a verbal update from Mrs V Tarbitt, Armed Forces Champion.  Members were informed that the Veterans’ Breakfast Club continued to flourish.  It was explained that a local Carlisle café, ‘Gone to the Dogs’, was providing meals for the homeless with food provided by local businesses.

 

A concern was raised regarding the lack of any reference to veterans on County Council application forms which the Champion would investigate.

 

(2)       Children in Care Council

 

Mrs EA Mallinson, Children in Care Council Champion informed members there had not been a meeting of the Children in Care Council since the last Local Committee.  It was noted that a fun day for foster parents and children would take place the following Saturday and members would be updated at the next Local Committee meeting. 

 

(3)       Autism

 

The Committee received an update from Mrs C Bowditch, Autism Champion which included positive feedback from the Autism Week.

 

Members were informed that the performance at the Old Fire Station had been very good and the creative art ‘autists’ had been enjoyed by all who had painted and listened about autism. 

 

The Committee noted that The Lanes Management Team meeting had been a great success.  Members were informed that The Lanes were looking to introduce an autism friendly shopping hour.  The meeting had concluded that they ‘wanted to accept everyone’ acknowledging ‘freedom, acceptance and equality’. 

 

The Champion had also met with teenage representatives from Carlisle Youth Zone who had shown a positive interest in autism.

 

Members were informed that two County Council officers now attended Autism Champion meetings emphasising the importance of their involvement with regards to improving employment experiences.  It was explained that at a recent Autism Champion meeting there had been an in?depth look at the County Council’s Apprenticeship Scheme.  The Committee received a positive update regarding a member of the Authority’s Children and Family Advisor Team who had responsibility for employees with autism. 

 

Mrs Bowditch welcomed and appreciated her role as Autism Champion highlighting the opportunities it gave her, on behalf of the County Council, to develop autism awareness.

 

13.

LOCAL COMMITTEE FOR CARLISLE - FORWARD PLAN pdf icon PDF 181 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

The Forward Plan of items for meetings of the Local Committee for Carlisle is attached for information.

 

Minutes:

The current Forward Plan of business for future meetings of the Local Committee was noted.

 

14.

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

To note that the next meeting of Carlisle Local Committee will be held on Tuesday 9 July 2019 at 10.00 am in Conference Room A/B, Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the next scheduled meeting will take place on Tuesday 9 July 2019 at 10.00 am at Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle.