Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Carlisle - Monday, 13th September, 2021 10.00 am

Venue: Conference Room A/B, Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle, CA1 1RD

Contact: Lynn Harker  Email: lynn.harker@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

Temporary Superintendent Richard Quinn, Cumbria Constabulary attended for agenda item 6 (referred to at minute 20).

 

The Chair, on behalf of members, welcomed Roger Dobson to his first meeting of the Committee.

 

15.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

An apology for absence was received from Mr T Allison.

 

16.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

            (a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

            (a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

            (b)       Either –

 

(i)                 The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)               If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

(1)       Ms D Earl declared a non?pecuniary interest in agenda item 8 – Area Planning Report (minute 22 refers) as she was employed by Carlisle Key.

 

(2)       Mrs E Mallinson declared a non?pecuniary interest in agenda item 8 – Area Planning Report (minute 22 refers) as she was the Local Committee’s representative for Carlisle Key.

 

17.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting for any items of business on this occasion.

 

18.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

(1)       To receive the following petitions:

 

            (a)       junction of Dykes Terrace and Brampton Road, Carlisle;

            (b)       Sandsfield Lane/Road/Lonning, Carlisle.

 

(2)       There are no public questions or statements to be considered at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

(1)       There were no public questions or statements to be considered at this meeting.

 

(2)       The Committee received petitions regarding the following matters:-

 

            (a)       the junction of Dykes Terrace and Brampton Road, Carlisle.

 

                        Christine Raphael presented members with a petition regarding the junction of Dykes Terrace and Brampton Road, Carlisle.  Members were informed that Dykes Terrace comprised of 16 houses (including St Michael’s Vicarage), five garages which belonged to properties on Brampton Road and numerous allotment plots which were only accessible via Dykes Terrace.  The Committee was informed of the close proximity of a number of junctions on Brampton Road and emphasised the petitioners safety concerns when exiting Dykes Terrace due to the lack of vision of speeding vehicles, blocked view due to parked vehicles, lack of warning signs to alert drivers to the sharp bend in the road, the lack of information on the sign in front of the University whilst also highlighting that this was obscured by foliage.

 

                        Members noted that due to the dangers on the road a number of residents only turned left when exiting Dykes Terrace and made a detour through Croft Road or Longlands Road making those roads busier than necessary.

 

                        The petitioners asked that the following suggestions be taken into consideration by officers when they were considering safety improvements at the junction:-

 

Ø   installation of a two speed monitors before Well Lane and Vallum Close;

Ø   double yellow lines in front of the house to the left of Dykes Terrace junction;

Ø   installation of a sign to warn of the sharp bend and junctions;

Ø   the trees in the grounds of the University be cut-back and maintained;

Ø   traffic calming measures installed on Brampton Road before Vallum Close;

Ø   installation of mirrors to allow drivers to see vehicles travelling along Brampton Road from the town.

 

                        The local Member spoke in support of the petition highlighting the issues raised had been a concern for a number of years.  Mrs Mallinson highlighted the volume and speed of traffic emphasising her concerns regarding safety for both drivers and pedestrians.  During the course of discussion the local Member suggested that relevant officers of the County Council liaise with the Police, CRASH Group, local residents and herself to investigate the matter further.

 

                        The Chair thanked Ms Raphael for her petition and gave the following response:-

 

                        You have been liaising with Amy Hutson, Highways Network Manager to address some safety concerns at the junction of Dykes Terrace with Brampton Road.

 

                        To date some of those issues have been addressed.  The overhanging tree outside the University building has been cut back to improve visibility and safe passage for pedestrians and the damaged warning sign has been replaced with the inclusion of a junction leg.

 

                        The speeding issues and subsequent traffic safety request has been submitted to the Police CRASH Group for discussion. Abigail Dodds, the Traffic Team Leader will be able to update the outcome of this when the investigations have taken place; this will raise discussion around speed  ...  view the full minutes text for item 18.

19.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 328 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 19 July 2021 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 19 July 2021 be confirmed as circulated and thereupon signed by the Chair.

 

20.

CUMBRIA POLICE AUTHORITY

To receive a verbal update from Cumbria Police Authority.

 

Minutes:

Members received a verbal update from Temporary Superintendent Richard Quinn from Cumbria Constabulary which included details of overall crime and disorder statistics in the Carlisle district and the key challenges over the previous 12 months.

 

The Committee was informed that issues during the COVID 19 pandemic had been the most challenging with an increase in domestic?related violence, sextortion and enforcement of Government rules during the lockdown period.  During the course of discussion Cumbria Constabulary were congratulated on how they had professionally dealt with the Government’s guidance during lockdown whilst still maintaining public confidence in them.

 

Members received an update on the development of the Local Focus Hub and were also informed of the intention to have two dedicated full?time Police Officers in Carlisle City Centre and a further full?time Officer situated in the west of Carlisle.  It was confirmed that there was now one dedicated Police Officer and two Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) deployed from the Shadygrove Road Police Station.

 

A discussion took place regarding PCSOs and concerns were raised regarding the frequent changes of them in local areas.  Temporary Superintendent Quinn acknowledged the concerns raised and explained that going forward the Force was looking to maintain the current number of PCSOs.

 

During discussion a member asked about the possibility to re?introduce police officers on foot in local areas.  The Committee was informed that whilst there was an aspiration to have this, particularly in the city centre, the resources were not available to provide this service and no commitment could be made to make this provision in local areas.

 

Members raised their concerns regarding domestic abuse and children’s safeguarding.  It was explained that the domestic abuse programme continued after the lockdown period together with a strong focus on children’s safeguarding. 

 

A discussion took place with regards to the Authority working in collaboration with Cumbria Constabulary to make improvements to physical risks.  Members were informed there were a number of processes in place where the two organisations worked together which included a Casualty Reduction Officer and Community Safety Adviser.

 

A concern was raised regarding the use of sirens in residential areas and whilst this was acknowledged members were informed that the decision to activate them was the responsibility of the individual officer and Cumbria Constabulary had no concerns regarding their use.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, thanked Temporary Superintendent Richard Quinn for an informative update.

 

21.

ACTIVE CUMBRIA pdf icon PDF 2 MB

To receive a presentation from Active Cumbria (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

The Committee received a presentation from Active Cumbria which was part of a national network of 43 active partnerships,  The service provided leadership, expertise, insight and connectivity to improve the health and wellbeing of residents and included a contribution towards the COVID recovery for Cumbria.

 

Members were informed of the challenges for Carlisle and received details of the Five Year Plan 2021-2026 and Outcomes, noting that priorities across the lifecourse included:-

 

Ø   supporting children in early years to improve levels of physical literacy, ensuring the best start in life;

 

Ø   enabling children, young people and families to develop a positive relationship with movement;

 

Ø   enabling opportunities for those of working age to develop positive long?term physical activity habits;

 

Ø   supporting older adults, particularly those with or at risk of long-term health conditions to be more active.

 

The Committee noted the national and locally funded programmes, services and events recognising that tackling inactivity needed to be a top priority as it was responsible for 1 in 6 UK deaths and for up to 40% of long-term medical conditions.  Members acknowledged the need to explore ways in which resources could be maximised and used to leverage those available locally.

 

A discussion took place regarding facilities in the Carlisle area which currently provided sport and other activities.  It was explained that if their capital developments could support health inequalities it was possible that funding could be made available.  It was agreed that a separate discussion would take place between officers and the local Member for Yewdale on this matter.

 

The Committee asked for further information regarding funding for people with disabilities.  It was explained that further details were being sought with regards to social events and it was agreed that a further discussion would take place with the local Member for Belle Vue on this matter.

 

A discussion took place regarding the data taken from the Active Lives Survey and members asked that the previous year’s survey be circulated to the Committee.

 

The Chair thanked the Officer for an informative presentation.

 

22.

AREA PLANNING REPORT pdf icon PDF 329 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update on its agreed activity, a financial statement in support of these activities and requests decisions on a range of issues.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which provided members with recommendations and matters to note relating to budget commitments, grant allocations from the recommendations of its Strategic Grants Panel and other relevant matters relating to area planning.

 

Members had previously approved a schedule of works regarding the Contain Outbreak Management Fund with a proviso that any amendments would come back to Committee for agreement.  The Local Committee was, therefore, requested to agree a variation to the proposed schedule of works based on greater knowledge of deliverability since the initial schedule was agreed on 19 July 2021, whilst noting that the Contain Outbreak Management Fund works must be delivered within the current financial year.

 

RESOLVED,   that

 

                          (1)          the commitments made and the remaining balances within delegated budgets together with the grants (as detailed in Appendix 1 of the report) be noted;

 

                          (2)          the grant of £3,000 to deliver 12 weeks of MOG in Longtown Primary School Year 6 KS2 made from the joint Sports Hardship Fund (as detailed in Appendix 2 of the report) be noted;

 

                          (3)          the following grants from the Local Committee’s Contain Outbreak Management Fund (as listed below and summarised in Appendix 3 of the report) be noted:-

 

                                        (a)         £5,000 to Carlisle Key to provide drop-in service for homeless young people (meets the requirements of the welfare group);

 

                                        (b)         £2,000 to Cumbria Meals on Wheels towards volunteer and transport costs;

 

                                        (c)          £3,000 to Brampton Area Action Group (BAAG) to provide additional equipment for both their food project and their hardship project;

 

                                        (d)         £5,000 to The Parish of 4 Communities (TP4C) to appoint a youth worker for their four communities which will be universal provision and open to all;

 

                                        (e)         £5,000 to Every Life Matters, a suicide prevention charity, to create a mural to go on the street art trail themed around suicide prevention and raising awareness of telephone/text support services available to those dealing with thoughts of suicide.  The mural will be the launch of Safer Suicide Carlisle and the funding will be conditional on agreement that the image is pre-approved;

 

                                        (f)          £3,000 to Step Together Volunteering to work with the Armed Forces Co-ordinator at Cumbria CVS and the Heathlands Project to create a new community garden.  Step Together will be providing an opportunity for veterans whilst creating a safe space that leaves a legacy for years to come;

 

                                        (g)         £4,000 to Brampton Acting Together (BAT) to develop a Parkrun at Talkin Tarn;

 

                          (4)          the following grants over £5,000 from the Local Committee’s Contain Outbreak Management Fund (as listed below and detailed in Appendix 3 of the report) be approved:-

 

                                        (a)         £9,560 to Carlisle Youth Zone to provide healthy lifestyle activities as part of a healthy weight pilot project for the Children and Families group and WHO Healthy City Group;

 

                                        (b)         £11,883 to Citizens Advice Carlisle and Eden to provide Digital Advisor service once original advisors return to face-to-face support (this meets the requirements of the welfare group);  ...  view the full minutes text for item 22.

23.

INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT PLAN WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 227 KB

To receive the notes of the Infrastructure Development Plan Working Group meetings held on 29 April and 10 August 2021 (copies enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received the minutes of the Infrastructure Delivery Plan Working Group meetings held on 29 April and 10 August 2021.

 

The Committee noted there were ongoing issues regarding the necessary infrastructure which was required to deliver the Local Plan with the IDP Funding Gap report still awaited.  Members raised their concerns regarding the increasing number of additional housing developments which had secured planning permission and the potential consequences they could have on the infrastructure and future provision of education.

 

RESOLVED,that the minutes be noted.

 

24.

2021/22 HIGHWAYS BUDGET/PROGRAMME PROGRESS REPORT pdf icon PDF 435 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports, combined with the highways programme progress information, as detailed in the attached appendices.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented the Highways Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports, combined with the highways programme progress information.

 

The local Member for Botcherby asked if the funding was still available for the scheme on Warwick Road, if it would be resurfaced this year and be included on the next programme progress report.  The Local Area Highways Network Manager confirmed the funding was still available and a report would be considered at a future meeting of the Carlisle Highways and Transport Working Group.

 

The local Member for Botcherby asked for further information about the length of the Eastern Way scheme and clarification regarding the inclusion of the pavement and drainage works on the Victoria Road, Wood Street to Warwick Road A69 scheme.  It was agreed the Local Area Highways Network Manager would investigate those matters and report back direct.

 

RESOLVED,     that the following be noted:-

 

                            (1)       the Highways programme progress information (as shown in Appendices 4 and 5 of the report);

 

                            (2)       the various Highways Revenue budget allocations and headings (detailed in Appendix 1 of the report);

 

                            (3)       the various Highways Capital budget allocations and headings (referred to in Appendix 2 of the report.

 

25.

EXPERIMENTAL SCHOOL STREETS ORDER - SAFER STREETS pdf icon PDF 464 KB

[Electoral Division: Harraby North & Belle Vue]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report informs Carlisle Local Committee of the responses to the Statutory Consultation undertaken for the proposal to introduce two School Streets in Carlisle, at St Bede’s Catholic School and Inglewood Infants, under an Experimental Order.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which informed members of the responses to the Statutory Consultation undertaken for the proposal to introduce two School Streets in Carlisle, at St Bede’s Catholic School and Inglewood Infants, under an Experimental Order.  It was explained that the School Streets initiative was aimed at reducing traffic levels outside of schools during the arrival and departure times.

 

Members welcomed the schools which would be included in the initiative whilst noting that both sites identified were ‘no through’ roads and asked how officers would apply the principles to ‘through’ roads.  The Traffic Management Team Leader confirmed that this scheme was being rolled out across the county with the inclusion of ‘through’ roads in other areas and information would be shared regarding each scheme. 

 

During the course of discussion concerns were raised with regards to moving the problems to surrounding streets; the Traffic Management Team Leader confirmed that regular contact would be made with the schools to identify any issues.

 

RESOLVED,     that having taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (more specifically referred to a paragraph 7.2 of the report), approve the introduction of an Experimental School Street Order, outside St Bede’s Catholic School and Inglewood School, on Strathclyde Avenue and School Road, Carlisle respectively, for a period of 1 hour at either end of the school day, with permitted exemptions, (as shown on the plans attached as Appendix 1 to the report).

 

26.

COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TEAM REPORT pdf icon PDF 545 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report gives an overview of the work of the Community Development Team during COVID.

 

Minutes:

Members considered a detailed report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which gave an overview of the work of the Community Development Team during COVID to date from late March 2020 to end of August 2021. 

 

The Committee was provided with a summary of partnership work of the Community Development Team, including case studies showcasing the work they had undertaken.  Members were also provided with a summary of community grant activity processed by the Team during the same period which crossed two financial years.

 

Members welcomed the report and paid tribute to the Team for the outstanding work they had undertaken during the pandemic.

 

RESOLVED,     that the report be noted.

 

27.

MEMBER CHAMPION UPDATES

To receive verbal updates from Carlisle Member Champions.

 

27a

Children in Care Council Champion

Minutes:

Members received a verbal update from Elizabeth Mallinson the Committee’s Children in Care Council Champion who informed the Committee of the positive engagement which had taken place during the summer period with Looked After Children.

 

Mrs Mallinson thanked staff and carers for their valued on?going support and made particular reference to their positive engagement during the pandemic.

27b

Autism Champion

Minutes:

Members received an update from Christine Bowditch, the Local Committee’s Autism Champion who highlighted that an important aspect of her role was to point people in the direction of help and support for themselves and their families.  The Committee was informed there were at least six organisations offering a range of valuable help and support for autistic people and their families and carers which included NHS, third sector organisations, County Council Local Offer as well as the National Autistic Society who had support services based in Cumbria.

 

The Committee welcomed the establishment of an autism group by the University of Cumbria together with the free live one?to?one chats available on the Parent action website.

 

Mrs Bowditch explained that in addition to autism people can also have severe/ moderate learning differences, therefore, was considering extending her Champion role, in line with the excellent County Council Disability and Autism Board, to support this additional category of people and their families where needed.

 

In conclusion, Mrs Bowditch suggested that, here today, members promise themselves that they think of individuals as ‘different‘ and emphasised the need to start to change the thinking revolution.

27c

Armed Forces Champion

Minutes:

The Local Committee’s Armed Forces Champion informed members that due to the relaxation of lockdown restrictions it was now possible for veterans’ meetings to take place and welcomed back the Breakfast Club once a venue had been sought.

 

Mrs Tarbitt explained that the Allotment Project continued at Heathlands and thanks were received from the Team for the Committee’s funding support.

 

The Committee noted that Mrs Tarbitt continued to support a number of veterans via Gateway and encouraged members to seek support from her for veterans in their Division.

 

 

The Chair thanked all of the member champions for their enthusiasm and invaluable support.

 

28.

LOCAL COMMITTEE CHAIRS AND LEADERSHIP MEETING pdf icon PDF 229 KB

To note the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meetings held on 5 July 2021 (copy to follow).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,   that the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 5 July 2021 be noted.

 

29.

LOCAL COMMITTEE FOR CARLISLE - FORWARD PLAN pdf icon PDF 256 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

The Forward Plan of items for meetings of the Local Committee for Carlisle is attached for information.

 

Minutes:

The current Forward Plan of business for future meetings of the Local Committee was noted.

 

30.

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

To note that the next meeting of Carlisle Local Committee will be held on Tuesday 9 November 2021 at 10.00 am in Conference Room A/B, Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the next scheduled meeting will take place on Tuesday 9 November 2021 at 10.00 am in Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle.