Agenda and minutes

County Council Local Committee for Carlisle
Tuesday, 13th November, 2018 10.00 am

Venue: Conference Room A/B, Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle, CA1 1RD

Contact: Lynn Harker  Email: lynn.harker@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

48.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr R Betton, Mr J Mallinson and Mr N Marriner.

 

49.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

            (a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

            (a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

            (b)       Either –

 

(i)                 The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)               If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

Mrs EA Mallinson declared a personal and prejudicial interest in agenda item 8 – Highways and Transportation Working Group (minute 55 refers) as she was a resident of Wordsworth Court, Carlisle and took no part in the discussion.

 

50.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting for any items of business on this occasion.

 

51.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There are no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

There were no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

52.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 85 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on Thursday 13 September 2018 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

(1)       Mrs V Tarbitt be added to the list of members present.

 

(2)       With reference to minute 41 – Community Budget and Finance Statement it was agreed that the following words should be added to resolution (10) a contribution ‘of £4,000’ be made to Carlisle Christmas lights …..

 

RESOLVED,    that with inclusion of the above amendments the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 13 September 2018 be confirmed as circulated and thereupon signed by the Chair.

 

53.

COMMUNITY BUDGET AND FINANCE STATEMENT pdf icon PDF 108 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update on its agreed activity, a financial statement in support of these activities and requests decisions on a range of issues.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which provided members with recommendations for grants and asked the Local Committee to consider, note and approve recommendations in respect of:-

 

·                Budget commitments

·                Grant allocations from the recommendations of its Strategic Grants Panel

·                Other relevant matters relating to Area Planning.

 

Members had previously agreed that the new approach to Area Planning should be evidence based, inclusive and attempt to make the best of the assets at the Council’s disposal.  It was noted that Brampton had been suggested as a potential area to examine how an area planning approach to assets and services, using asset based community development, could work together to redesign services in the area.  It was explained that a technical officer group had been established to take the work forward and this would also form part of the next area planning event for members.

 

The local Member for Yewdale thanked the Grants Panel for considering the late application from Yewdale Community Centre (Nursery) following an incident at the premises.  He explained to the Committee that the agreed amount would be a contribution towards the cost of new fencing which would make the Centre more secure and enable the nursery to re?open.

 

RESOLVED,     that

 

                            (1)       the commitments made and the remaining balances within the delegated budgets (as detailed in Appendix 1 of the report) be noted;

 

                            (2)       the allocation of the following grants from the General Provision budget be approved:-

 

                                        (a)       £1,000 to Burgh by Sands Parish Council towards costs of installing a Speed Indicator Device;

 

                                        (b)       £1,000 to Beaumont Parish Council towards costs of installing a Speed Indicator Device;

 

                                        (c)       £3,450 to Yewdale Community Centre (Nursery) towards the costs of fencing;

 

                                        (d)       £2,400 to Period Poverty North Cumbria towards the cost of developing a community based pilot project;

 

                            (3)       a grant of £1,500 awarded to Invisible Women be decommitted;

 

                            (4)       the allocation of £750 from the 0-19 Community Grants budget to Harraby Catholic Club (U7s) towards the costs of training equipment be approved.

 

54.

2018/19 HIGHWAYS BUDGET/PROGRAMME PROGRESS REPORT pdf icon PDF 95 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports, combined with the highways programme progress information, as detailed in the attached appendices.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented the Highways Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports, combined with the Highways Programme progress information.

 

The local Member for Brampton passed on thanks from a member of the Parish Council regarding resurfacing work which had recently been undertaken in the Milton area.

 

RESOLVED,     that the following be noted:-

 

                            (1)       the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2018/19 and the commitments and expenditure (as detailed in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report);

 

                            (2)       the programme progress information (referred to in Appendices 1 and 2 of the report);

 

                            (3)       the Highways Revenue budget has been split using against various budget headings.

 

55.

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 101 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides details of the meeting of the Highways and Transport Working Group held on 11 October 2018 and presents recommendations for the Local Committee to consider.  

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Environment and Infrastructure which gave details of the meeting of the Highways and Transport Working Group held on 11 October 2018 and presented their recommendations for approval.

 

(1)       Minutes

 

RESOLVED,     that the minutes be noted.

 

(2)       2018/19 Highways Budget/Programme Progress Report

 

RESOLVED,     that the following be noted:-

 

                            (a)       the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2018/19 and the commitments and expenditure recorded in the report (attached as Appendix 2 in the report);

 

                            (b)       the programme progress information (referred to in the report attached as Appendix 2);

 

                            (c)        the Highways Revenue budget has been split for use against various budget headings (detailed in the report attached as Appendix 2).

 

(3)       A595 Peter Lane to Thursby Roundabout – Existing National Speed Limit: Proposal to Reduce to 50MPH Speed Limit

 

A detailed discussion took place regarding the recommendations to Local Committee and members noted that part of the length of the A595 in question fell under the control of the Allerdale Local Committee area, therefore, would also need to be considered by them.

 

The local Member for Dalston and Burgh emphasised his concerns regarding the length of highway in question and highlighted the need for traffic calming measures to be undertaken.

 

The local Member for Yewdale drew attention to the Background details in the report and felt there was a suggestion from the independent road safety study undertaken that no changes were required.  The Highway Network Manager explained that the study had recommended that consideration should be given to the reduction of the speed limit down to 50 mph, highlighting that following consultation future recommendations may differ from those at present.  A discussion then took place regarding the cost of the works to be undertaken and it was confirmed the budget allocation of £45,000 was required from Carlisle Local Committee’s budget with additional funding being provided by Allerdale Local Committee.

 

During the course of discussion the Committee were informed that Allerdale Local Committee had met the previous week and had agreed not to proceed with the recommendations, therefore, it was

 

RESOLVED,    

 

                            (a)       not to proceed to statutory consultation and advertisement to introduce a 50mph speed limit on the A595 between the District Boundary at Nealhouse and Peter Lane Roundabout, a distance of approximately 2.50 miles (as shown on the plan in the report attached as appendix 3);

 

                            (b)       that a further report be considered at the next meeting of the Highways and Transport Working Group to determine how to proceed.

 

(4)       Proposed Advisory Disabled Parking Bays – Linden Terrace and Blencarn Park, Carlisle

 

RESOLVED,     that the advisory disabled parking bays (as detailed in the report attached as Appendix 4) are not introduced.

 

(5)       Carlisle Traffic Regulation Order – Variation 2018-19

 

The local Member for Belle Vue raised her concerns regarding the proposed variation at the junction of Thomas Lane and Marconi Road highlighting the potential parking difficulties this could cause for local residents.  The Highway Network Manager explained that  ...  view the full minutes text for item 55.

56.

NOMINATION OF GOVERNORS FOR NURSERY, PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS pdf icon PDF 35 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a schedule by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

A schedule of recommendations for local authority governor nominations to schools in Carlisle.

 

Minutes:

The Local Committee considered a schedule of recommendations for the nomination of County Council representatives on the governing bodies of county, nursery, primary and secondary schools.  There were no nominations put forward for the schools listed.

 

The individual local members raised issues regarding governor vacancies at Warwick Bridge Primary School, Lees Hill School and Bewcastle School and the Area Manager agreed to investigate those and report back direct.

 

57.

CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE'S WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 108 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy to follow).

 

This report gives an update on the development of the new Children & Young People’s Working Group.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which updated members on the development of the new Children and Young People’s Working Group.  It was noted that a nomination to the Working Group from the Liberal Democrat/Independent members was still outstanding.

 

Members noted that the Working Group had a potentially wide remit if it was to consider all aspects of work relating to 0-19 year olds across the city.  It was explained that the Terms of Reference would take this into account and working on key priorities would better define what work it will undertake.  The Committee noted that following suggested areas for future discussion:-

 

Ø   Developing priorities and clearer criteria for how the 0-19 year old grants can be used which would greater inform and guide the Grant Panel and officers in making recommendations.

Ø   The Working Group to consider regular Universal Youth Provision developments before they are reported to Local Committee.

Ø   Involve and engage young people in identifying their priorities.  An example of this is in Appendix B which shows a County wide survey of young people as part of the ‘Making Your Mark’ project.

Ø   Informing Local Committee in the development of its Area plans to ensure that priorities for children and young people are identified within the area plan development process.  Monitor the delivery of any children and young people specific area plan developments.

Ø   Local Committee would also be able to use the Working Group to look at priorities/issues as necessary.

 

A detailed discussion took place regarding the countywide survey of young people as part of the ‘Making Your Mark’ project which had been undertaken.  Members emphasised the need to consider the top priorities of young people in north of the county to enable them to direct resources at what young people wanted.  The low prioritisation of ‘Support Youth Services’ was highlighted as a need for consideration taking into account the amount of funding allocated to that service. 

 

A discussion then took place regarding the ‘Equal Pay and Equal Work’ issue and it was suggested that this should be considered further by the Working Group with the possibility of this also being discussed countywide with the relevant Cabinet Portfolio Holder and the Children and Young People’s Scrutiny Advisory Board.

 

The local Member for Yewdale suggested that a representative from the YMCA attend a future meeting of the Local Committee to discuss the outcomes of the survey.  It was agreed this should initially form part of a future meeting of the Working Group.

 

The local Member for Denton Holme requested further information regarding the involvement of the wider age-range and how engagement took place with those young people who were not in education.  The Community Development Officer agreed to investigate this and report back.

 

Mrs EA Mallinson, Chair of the Working Group, agreed to include the matters raised above at their next meeting.

 

RESOLVED,     that

 

                            (1)       the Children and Young People’s Working Group draft Terms of Reference  ...  view the full minutes text for item 57.

58.

MEMBER CHAMPION UPDATES

To receive verbal updates from Carlisle Member Champions.

 

Minutes:

(a)       Children Leaving Care

 

The Committee received an update from Mrs EA Mallinson.  Members noted revised regulations were awaited with regards to young people leaving care and the Committee would be kept updated.

 

(b)       Autism Champion

 

Members received an update from Mrs C Bowditch who had been involved in various issues relating to autism.  The Committee were informed that Carlisle Library was developing strategies to increase accessibility.  It was explained that a large area of the work included developing a sensory room in a vacant space within the Library which would be appropriate for all ages.  Members noted that the Library was working on the criteria to gain the Autism Friendly Award through the National Autism Society.  A further proposal was highlighted which included a ‘safe’ space for use by families affected by autism who were accessing the city centre/Lanes Shopping Centre.  Mrs Bowditch highlighted that she was making links with retailers and cafés in the Lanes and city centre to raise awareness of a fairer society for people with autism.

 

The Committee noted that all the county Autism Champions were considering a visit to Sellafield to find out further information regarding their support project which recognised that large organisations had employees who had links or were living with autism. 

 

Members were informed that the provision of an advocate/responsible person for victims of hate crime was still being investigated by Cumbria Police Authority.

 

In conclusion, Niall McNulty, Community Development Officer, was thanked for his support.

 

(c)       Armed Forces Champion

 

Mrs V Tarbitt updated the Committee on her role as the Armed Forces Champion.  Members were informed that the role had recently become much more of a Civic responsibility. 

 

Members noted the Champion’s involvement in the commemorative ceremonies around marking the 100th anniversary of the end of  WW1 which included an invitation to the opening ceremony of ‘This Day in 1918’ at Carlisle Castle, laying of a wreath at both Longtown's Remembrance Service and the County Ceremony in Rickerby Park and an invitation to Curry Lunch at The Museum of Military Life hosted by The  Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.

 

Members noted that Mrs Tarbitt would ensure that those agencies who supported the Armed Forces were reminded that Cumbria County Council did believe that in signing the Armed Forces Covenant the Authority would continue to support members of the Armed Forces, Veterans and their families.

 

59.

LOCAL COMMITTEE CHAIRS AND LEADERSHIP MEETING pdf icon PDF 122 KB

To receive the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 9 July 2018 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

The possible introduction of on?street parking was raised and members were informed this would be considered by a meeting of full County Council on 15 November.

 

RESOLVED,     that the minutes of the Leadership and Local Committee Chairs meeting held on 9 July 2018 be received.

 

60.

LOCAL COMMITTEE FOR CARLISLE - FORWARD PLAN pdf icon PDF 59 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

The Forward Plan of items for meetings of the Local Committee for Carlisle is attached for information.

 

Minutes:

The current Forward Plan of business for future meetings of the Local Committee was noted.

 

61.

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

To note that the next meeting of Carlisle Local Committee will be held on Wednesday 9 January 2019 at 10.00 am in Conference Room A/B, Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the next scheduled meeting will take place on Wednesday 9 January 2019 at 10.00 am at Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle.