Agenda and minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland
Tuesday, 27th March, 2018 11.15 am

Venue: Cleator Moor Civic Hall and Masonic Centre

Contact: Jackie Currie  Email: jackie.currie@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

71.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were Mr M Barbour, Mr M Hawkins and Mr F Morgan.

 

 

72.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.)

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)          That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)        The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

Note:

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

Mr GRPM Roberts declared a non pecuniary interest under the Members’ Code of Conduct in Agenda Item No 9 – Bransty Row/North Shore Road Junction Improvements, as he is a Bransty Parish Councillor.

 

73.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item of business on the agenda.

 

74.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements to the committee on this occasion.

 

75.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 144 KB

To receive the minutes of the previous meeting held on 23 January 2018 (copy enclosed)

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 23 January 2018 be agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chair.

 

76.

2017/18 LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED BUDGET MONITORING REPORT - HIGHWAYS BUDGET pdf icon PDF 90 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways (copy enclosed)

 

This report presents the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with the Highways Programme Progress report, as detailed in the attached appendices.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Local Committee considered a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways which presented the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with the Highways Programme Progress report..

 

The Highways Network Manager reported that at this stage of the financial year the Devolved Highway Revenue budget was projecting a small overspend of £8,800, and the Devolved Highways Capital budget was projecting an overspend of £34,078

 

RESOLVED that,

 

(1)       Local Committee note the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2017-18 and the commitments and expenditure recorded in Appendices 1 & 2 of the report;

(2)       Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Revenue budget, attached as Appendix 1, is currently projecting an overspend of £8,800;

(3)       Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Capital Budget is currently projecting an overspend of approximately £34,078.

 

77.

2018/19 LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED HIGHWAYS REVENUE BUDGET COPELAND pdf icon PDF 93 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways (copy enclosed)

 

The County Council’s Budget for 2018/19 was informed to Cabinet in February 2018 and set by Council during that month. Local Committees are allocated a devolved budget for highways and transport. This report sets out the proposed Highways and Transport Revenue Budget for the Copeland area.  The allocations contained in this report for Copeland Local Committee are based on a total revenue budget of £648,803.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members had before them a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways which reminded them that the County Council’s Budget for 2018/19 was informed to Cabinet in February 2018 and set by Council during that month. Local Committees were allocated a devolved budget for highways and transport. This report sets out the proposed Highways and Transport Revenue Budget for the Copeland area.

 

The Highways Network Manager outlined the suggested devolved Local Committee devolved revenue budget allocation for 2018/19. The recommendations contained in this report were based upon a budget of £648,803 which equated to a £30,943 increase on 2017/18 revenue budget.

 

The recommended devolved highways revenue budget was set out in

Appendix 1. It noted the current 2017/18 allocations and the proposed 2018/19 allocations based on the individual budget headings.

 

The Revenue budget included ‘Find and Fix’ reactive maintenance, gully cleansing, street lighting inspections and repairs. These were carried out by the Council’s own staff. The budget also included verge maintenance and road markings and signage replacement.

 

The Network Manager said the proposed revenue programme for 2018/19 would ensure that the County Council was working towards improving the existing issues with the road network as well as protecting and improving the remainder of the Council’s highway assets.

 

All members recognised the challenge the Council faced in relation to reductions in budget allocations from Government.  Within the Borough the money needed to maintain and repair the roads far outweighed the resources available and all members had concerns about this. 

 

The Highways Network Manager informed members that the Department for Transport had announced recently that additional funds would be made available to assist the County Council to repair ‘pot holes’.  Figures were yet to be confirmed but the expected additional funding available for Copeland Local Committees was circa £100,000.  Members noted that this was in addition to that already allocated.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

(1)       the Local Committee approve the proposed allocation of the devolved Highways and Transport revenue budget for 2018/19 as follows:-

 

Better Highways                                                £177, 508

Cleansing                                                          £160,000

Non illuminated traffic signs and

road markings                                                    £35,000

Verge Maintenance                                          £50,000

Lighting and illuminated signs                                   £191,295

Traffic Signals                                                   £20,000

Other (Cyclepath contribution)                       £15,000

 

TOTAL                                                               £648,803

78.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP - 23 FEBRUARY 2018 pdf icon PDF 86 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways (copy enclosed)

 

This report gives details of the outcome of the meeting on the Highways Working Group (HWG) held on 23 February 2018 and presents the HWG recommendations to the Local Committee for approval.  The Local Committee is also asked to consider additional recommendations related to the matters considered by the HWG.

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Copeland Local Committee considered a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways, which gave details of the meeting of Copeland Highway Working Group held on 23 February 2018 and presented recommendations to the members for approval:-

 

(1)       Minutes

 

One of the members requested, that for future minutes of the Highways Working Group, where consultations were mentioned, that links be included to the relevant documents.  This was noted.

 

RESOLVED that, Copeland Local Committee note the minutes of the Highways Working Group and the recommendations contained within these.

 

(2) North Road, Egremont - Traffic Movements

 

Members were aware of the concerns that had been raised by businesses located on North Road, Egremont regarding its existing traffic management arrangements.  At present, North Road was effectively divided into two halves by a kerbed island and traffic bollards. 

 

The measures were introduced in 1993, following the construction of the A595 Egremont bypass.  The main purpose of the improvements was to prevent vehicular access between the northern and southern sections of North Road, whilst maintaining pedestrian and cycle movements.  These measures also prevent ‘rat-running’ by through-traffic using North Road and Egremont Main Street as a shortcut.

 

In 2016, Cumbria County Council officers agreed to undertake a consultation with all residents of North Road to determine the issues. The consultation suggested removing some of the bollards to allow traffic to move in one direction only, therefore implementing a One Way system.  A total of 65 properties were contacted during the consultation, and 43 responses were received.  37 of the 43 responses were against the suggested changes, and 6 of 43 responses were in favour of the suggested changes.

 

Although local officers recognised the concerns raised, as the local Highway Authority members must be focussed on the flow and movement of traffic.  Given the issues experienced on neighbouring routes in the area due to the inadequacy of the A595 during peak times, officers were not recommending any changes be implemented.

 

The Whitehaven Campus planning application had been discussed briefly at the Highways Working Group, but at the time no details were given.  However, these had now been made available, and one of the members felt it should come back to the HWG as there were proposed changes to the start and finish times for the new school, which could have implications for the County Council.  The Area Manager said the changes could affect the School Transport Service and felt the HWG should consider the implications.  This was AGREED.

 

The Highway Network Manager reminded members of the need to notify the officers as soon as possible of any possible speed limit restrictions needed in their divisions.  Members noted this request.

 

One of the members asked a question about Minute 118 with reference to the lack of parking enforcement being undertaken in Copeland.  He wondered if there were any plans to improve this service.  The Highways Network Manager and the Area Manager would raise this with the Parking Manager (Action: KC/GE).

 

RESOLVED that, Copeland Local Committee  ...  view the full minutes text for item 78.

79.

BRANSTY ROW/NORTH SHORE JUNCTION IMPROVEMENTS pdf icon PDF 95 KB

[Electoral Divisions:  Bransty]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways (copy enclosed)

 

The purpose of this report is to provide members of the Local Committee, with an overview of proposed highway improvements to improve the operation of the junction on Bransty Row/North Shore Road and enhance the pedestrian environment to create cohesive development sites within the North Shore area of Whitehaven town centre.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mr GRPM Roberts declared a non pecuniary interest under the Members’ Code of Conduct in this item, as he is a Bransty Parish Councillor. 

 

Members had before them a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Highways, which provided members of the Local Committee, with an overview of proposed highway improvements to improve the operation of the junction on Bransty Row/North Shore Road and enhance the pedestrian environment to create cohesive development sites within the North Shore area of Whitehaven town centre.

 

Britain’s Energy Coast (BEC) was the landowner of a number of development sites on Bransty Row and the lead partner was bringing forward the North Shore regeneration scheme, which included plans for managed work space, a 100+ bed hotel and a multi-story car park, and was fully supportive of the scheme. Copeland Borough Council part owned BEC (alongside Cumbria County Council and Allerdale Borough Council). The deliverability of the North Shore Development opportunities were marginal and required significant highway improvements to facilitate these developments.

 

Cumbria County Council secured £1.66m from the Department for Transport (DFT) through the National Productivity Investment Fund and £834k from BEC to undertake the necessary highway improvements at Bransty Row. The funding has been secured on the basis of reconfiguring the existing priority T-junction at Bransty Row/North Shore Road to improve the operation of the junction and enhance the pedestrian environment to create cohesive development sites.  The funding provided by the Department for Transport requires the proposed changes to be designed and implemented on site within 2 years (2018/2019 and 2019/2020).

 

Numerous alternative junction arrangements had been considered including roundabouts, gyratory systems and priority junction arrangements. The alternative options do not accommodate the forecast traffic volumes or provide any pedestrian connectivity and amenity benefits.

 

Officers had explored options for enhancing the junction at Tangier Street/George Street and four options were modelled to determine the impact of proposals on traffic in the area:-

 

   Design Option 1 – Enhance the existing junction arrangement - Provides the greatest capacity at the junction.

   Design Option 2A – The installation of the mini roundabout gives traffic on George Street priority over Tangier Street, which will create queues on Tangier Street backing up towards the town centre.

   Design Option 2B – The installation of a mini roundabout and reversal of the one way systems on Tangier Street and Church Street addresses the capacity issues on Tangier Street in Option 2A. However, George Street does not have the capacity to cope with the additional traffic

   Design Option 3 – The installation of a signalised junction at Tangier Street results with traffic queuing through Tangier Street signals when showing green light.

 

Officer recommendation was to proceed with Option 1 at Tangier Street/George Street, which would increase the junction capacity and support the deliverability of the North Shore Development Schemes.  The other options would not deliver the required junction capacity and therefore do not meet the aims and objectives of the scheme business case and could not be  ...  view the full minutes text for item 79.

80.

AREA MANAGER REPORT - COPELAND pdf icon PDF 167 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update on its agreed activity, current issues and an overview of the budget position.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Local Committee considered a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services which provided Local Committee with an update on its agreed activity, current issues and an overview of the budget position.

 

Budget Update

 

The Area Manager asked members to note the delegated Communities budget for 2018/19 approved at Full Council on 15th February 2018 and was set out in Appendix 2.  The delegated budget lines were streamlined to afford Local Committee the opportunity to determine specific allocations and priorities in accordance with their Area Plan. 

 

Community and Strategic Grants

 

At the Community Grants Panel meeting on Tuesday 6 March 2018 members considered a number of grant applications to support local community activity. Where grants exceeded £5,000 they required ratification by Local Committee. In summary Members recommended grants under the following categories which total:

 

   General Provision - £44,001

   0-19 Universal Services - £73,109

   Community Waste Prevention Fund - £8,300

   University Access Fund - £4,890

 

The Area Manager took members through the list of recommendations contained within the report, and the grant allocations approved.

 

Local Members’ Scheme

 

The Area Manager explained to new members of the committee that as part of the 2015-16 County Council budget settlement for Local Committee there was a revenue scheme financed over one year to be spent over two years.

 

The Copeland Local Members Scheme budget was fully spent by March 2017 however in November 2017 Local Committee agreed to recoup a sum of £868 from the Kells and Sandwith LMS budget originally committed to Mirehouse Residents Group for youth provision.

 

The Area Manager outlined details of two proposals for consideration with a summary assessment given by the Community Development Officer, having regard to technical or to other advice from colleagues in relevant directorates.

 

   Members are asked to support a revenue grant of £180 from the Kells & Sandwith LMS of Cllr Emma Williamson to St Peter’s Church Hall to support 12 months room hire for the Pit Craic group. 

   Members are asked to support a revenue grant of £688 from the Kells & Sandwith LMS of Cllr Emma Williamson to support community activities within the division.

 

Both of these were fully supported by members.

 

Money Advice Service

 

Copeland Local Committee had given annual support to Citizens Advice Copeland to provide debt and money advice.  The delegated Communities budget for 2018/19 included an amount of £57,060 for this purpose and would focus in particular on;

 

   Providing support for individuals in debt to an extent where their home or liberty are at risk or those whose debts are seriously affecting the health and wellbeing of the individual or family.

   Put in place preventative activity that raises awareness of how to avoid debt; educates people about effective budgeting and money management; and support people to maximise their income.   

 

Members supported this recommendation.

 

School Crossing Patrol

 

Members noted the details contained within the Service Level Agreement (SLA) held with Orion to deliver a school crossing patrol to nine schools  ...  view the full minutes text for item 80.

81.

UPDATE ON LIBRARY BUILDINGS pdf icon PDF 136 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Kells and Sandwith, Mirehouse, Hillcrest and Hensingham]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update on its agreed activity, current issues and an overview of the budget position.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services  which advised members on the work done to date on the Library and Archive Community Hub project and on the 3 branch libraries that were identified as surplus to service requirements.

 

In December 2017 it was agreed that Mirehouse Library, Kells Library and Hensingham Library were surplus to the Library service requirements and would close.  This was due to the limited usage of the facilities and their close proximity to the main Whitehaven Library and it was considered that the community could be better served by alternative provision being provided in these locations.

 

It was agreed that the Chair of Local Committee would work with the local Members and Community team to look at options to re-use these facilities.

 

At the same time the business plan for the new Library and Archive Community Services Hub identified that any income from the sale of these buildings would go to support the build costs.

 

Members and Officers met with a number of groups to identify opportunities and firm proposals had been received in relation to Kells Library building and Mirehouse Library building.  Unfortunately interest in the Hensingham site was not able to materialise into a firm project.

 

Kells

 

The proposal for Kells library was with the Howgill Family Centre who proposed to create a hub of services which would include;

 

   Nursery child care from 2 years old, with sessions in the morning and afternoon

   Specific carer and toddler groups

   Utilising the PhunkyFoods programme to deliver healthy lifestyle sessions

   Parenting courses including Triple P – Positive Parenting Programme and the Solihull Approach

   Domestic Violence Recovery toolkit

   Telling Tales story sessions

   Scope for offering space to other service providers to host drop ins, advice and support

 

Howgill currently offered childcare provision from The Kabin based in the grounds of St Mary’s School. The Kabin was no longer fit for purpose and had structural issues that were limiting its usable life. 

 

Discussions had been around either a lease or sale of the building.  Under a lease significant changes to the building would not be possible and they could not operate as a nursery until a sale or transfer was complete.  Therefore the preferred option of the Howgill Family Centre was to purchase the building in order to undertake a complete and immediate refurbishment. 

 

Mirehouse

 

The proposal for the Mirehouse Library was with the Mirehouse Community Centre Association who proposed to develop a Community Café and hub including;

 

·                  A daytime café promoting healthy eating and social interaction

·                  Evening café and youth zone run by young people under adult supervision

 

The daytime café would be operated as a social enterprise utilising FareShare produce and promoting healthy choices, in the long term there may be social support schemes and vocational training opportunities. 

 

The evening café would be run by young people who had been involved in developing the concept and ideas including a ‘milk bar’.  Advice services  ...  view the full minutes text for item 81.

82.

LOCAL COMMITTEE CHAIRS AND LEADERSHIP MEETING pdf icon PDF 76 KB

To receive the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 25 January 2018 (copy enclosed)

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 24 January 2018 were received and noted.

 

83.

NOMINATIONS - LA GOVERNORS OF NURSERY, PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS pdf icon PDF 41 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Health, Care and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     subject to their agreement the following go forward as nominations for LA Governors of nursery, primary and secondary education:-

 

St Patrick’s Catholic            Mr Hugh Branney

Primary School                     Croasdale Farm

Ennerdale

Cleator

CA23 3AT

                                   

Park View Nursery               Ms Geraldine Lancaster

School                                   East View

Church Walk

Millom

LA18 5BZ

                                   

 

 

 

84.

CHILDREN'S CHAMPION UPDATE

To receive an update from the Copeland Children’s Champion

 

Minutes:

The Committee received a brief update from the Children’s Champion.

Members would be receiving an invite in the near future to a play by the Youth Council in relation to litter.  She encourages all members to attend.

 

The Children’s Partnership had now been established and would be Chaired by the Children’s Champion.

 

The Chair thanked the Champion for her update.

 

 

85.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee

 

Minutes:

Autism Champion

 

In the absence of the Autism Champion an updated had been circulated to members by email. 

 

The Champion had found that social media had been an effective tool helping to spread the message that the Council was serious about making Copeland autism friendly. He had visited the Beacon Museum to talk to staff there about Autism and this had been well attended and the feedback afterwards was very encouraging and they were keen to make the beacon more welcoming to Autistic people.

 

Staff were congratulated for their support on Saturday at the opening of the new autism area at Millom library it was well received by the local community and the Champion was sure it would be a well-used facility.

 

Moving forward the Champion would continue to meet with interested groups and businesses around Copeland.

 

On 29 March the Autism Champion would be attending the Whitehaven Town Council meeting to explain his role and he hoped to visit all Copeland’s Town and Parish Councils throughout the year.

 

Health and Wellbeing Champion

 

The Health and Wellbeing champion had been asked by Charlotte Thompson - Public Health Nurse Clinical Lead to update members on Public Health Nurse Practitioners who were specialist nurses based within each locality and were available to work with schools to identify and address health and wellbeing needs through a school review and bespoke delivery plan at no cost to the school.

 

This service was aimed at lifestyle improvement, through maintaining and promoting mental, emotional and physical wellbeing. key priorities included healthy weight, emotional health, digital wellbeing and risk taking behaviour, all of which impact on the health of the children in Cumbria

 

The team could offer FREE support and advice to address health and wellbeing needs identified from school reviews.  This could include path-ways, school specific health data, pupil surveys, staff training, assemblies, website resources, group work, curriculum development, support with public health campaigns and signposting.

 

Ms Thompson had asked the Health and Wellbeing Champion to ask for members’ help to promote this in secondary schools, where the take up was limited.  Members noted the request.

 

The Chair thanked the Health and Wellbeing Champion for his update.

 

 

 

 

86.

NUCLEAR ISSUES

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues

 

Minutes:

The Portfolio Holder for Nuclear Issues updated members on the latest situation in relation to the geological disposal facilities.

 

The Area Manager asked for local member comments in respect to the 2 live BEIS consultations on the new government approach to a GDF that would be included in the report to cabinet.  Members were asked to send any comments  through by close of play today.

 

Brief updates were also given by the Copeland Local Committee representatives on the Low Lever Waste Repository Site Stakeholder Group and the Risk and High Level Waste Management Group.

 

 

87.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on 15 May 2018 at Cleator Moor Civic Hall at 10.15am

 

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on 15 May 2018 at Cleator Moor Civic Hall at 10.15am.