Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland
Tuesday, 27th November, 2018 10.15 am

Venue: Cleator Moor Civic Hall and Masonic Centre, Jacktrees Rd, Cleator Moor CA25 5AU

Contact: Stewart Consterdine  Email: stewart.consterdine@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

46.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr D Wilson.

 

47.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

Councillor Roberts declared an interest in items 9 and 11 as he is a councillor on the Whitehaven town council.

 

48.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that the press and public be not excluded during consideration of any items on the agenda.

 

49.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements made on this occasion.

 

50.

LOCAL COMMITTEE REVISED TERMS OF REFERENCE pdf icon PDF 81 KB

To note revised Terms of Reference for Local Committees.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The revised Local Committee terms of reference were noted with one amendment of a request to ask the Constitution Review Group to review in 12 months to include the ability to co-opt the Chair of the local Copeland Association of Local Councils who in the interim will be asked to come to meetings as a guest.

 

51.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 116 KB

To receive the minutes of the previous meeting held on 11 September 2018.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that, the minutes of the previous meeting held on 11 September 2018 be agreed as a true and accurate record, and signed by the Chair.

 

52.

MILLOM SCHOOL

Presentation by the Vice Principle of Millom School, on the impact that Local Committee Funding has had.

 

Minutes:

A presentation was given by Ms C Vance, Vice Principle of Millom School and showed the impact that the Copeland Local Committee funding has had in   supporting students wishing to go to higher education.

 

Millom School previously had a low higher education progression rate with the UK national higher educational initial participation rate for 2017 was 49.8%. Millom School higher education progression rate has fluctuated between 35% and 50% over the last few years

 

The Vice Principle described the barriers which faced students on deciding to move to higher education and the solutions which included getting students out to visit universities; getting students to engage with subject-specific workshops and lectures.

 

The funding that Copeland Local Committee had provided had enabled the school to take the students on various trips to a number of universities so they would have experience on what university life is like and what courses were available to them.

 

The funding enabled these visits to be made free of charge and had also helped the students applying for university places.

 

This has had a positive impact on the students and 14 of 24 students (58%) have made applications to the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service

(UCAS), including one application to Oxford.

 

During discussions a question was asked about the main barriers to students not applying for higher education.

 

The Vice Principle mentioned that finance was one of the main barriers as families are unable to afford student fees and there is no clear information available with regards to student loans which are available.

 

The Members thanked the Vice Principle for her very informative presentation.

 

53.

MONEY ADVICE CONTRACT REPORT pdf icon PDF 115 KB

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Manager, Citizens Advice Copelandpresented the report.

 

The report provided Local Committee with an overview and update of the work delivered by Citizens Advice Copeland.

The report provided the first performance update since the 2018/19 contract was awarded in March 2018. Members noted that support for ex-service people was written into that contract, as a new addition for the year.   

The service could be accessed Monday to Friday via drop in advice sessions, specialist appointments and telephone advice. The website had links to advice pages which can be accessed 24/7 and which offered advice on a range of issues including debt, welfare benefits, consumer, family, relationship, employment, immigration and housing problems.

The service was delivered by a small team of paid staff and a dedicated team of volunteers who take on roles including advisers, administrators, receptionists, campaigners, telephone advisers and trustees. As an independent charity CAB Copeland relies on grants such as the one provided by Cumbria County Council to provide services throughout the borough. CAB are passionate about protecting the right for everyone to access free advice and support to deal with their issues and the funding from Local Committee  in 2018/19 will allow them to continue delivering a Money Advice service on behalf of Cumbria County Council.

The specialist money advice team was authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and two of the workers were registered Debt Relief Order intermediaries with the Insolvency Service. CAB Copeland tailor the service to meet the needs of the individual and offer a range of options from self-help guides, face to face specialist appointments, telephone advice and budgeting support. The holistic service provided ensures that all issues are discussed, and workers would deal with, or make in house referrals to deal with benefit, housing, energy and employment issues as well as any other problems which impacted on a person’s life.

They receive referrals from several organisations for specialist support including Copeland Borough Council, Age UK West Cumbria, Mind, Phoenix Enterprise Centre, Cumbria County Council HAWKs, Health Professionals, Howgill Family Centre, Macmillan, Sellafield Aftercare vetting team, MP, Copeland Community Mental Health Team, Adult Social Care and Children’s Services.

The team received referrals from the Royal British Legion and worked with them to identify options for dealing with an individual’s problems. They offered appointments to clients to look at their income, identify all debts, prepare a financial statement and then inform the RBL on how they could support the client for example providing a grant to cover the cost of bankruptcy of debt relief order fees. They had attended local RBL meetings to explain how to work in partnership and also to explore options to work together in the future. The offices have referral information, leaflets and displays about the services each partner can provide and routinely ask each client that attends if they have a military connection. Over the next few months this partnership would be strengthened by links to information on website and social media as well as identifying  ...  view the full minutes text for item 53.

54.

Whitehaven Relief Road Consultation pdf icon PDF 98 KB

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report was presented by the Programme Lead - Infrastructure Planning.

The purpose of the report was to provide Local Committee with details of Highways England’s consultation on potential improvements to the A595 around Whitehaven and the role of a Whitehaven Relief Road in supporting this.

To support the preparation of a consultation response by the Executive Director, Economy and Infrastructure, the views of Local Committee were sought on the consultation.

The Cumbria Local Enterprise Partnership’s Strategic Economic Plan recognised the importance of Whitehaven and the A595 to Cumbria’s economy. Reflecting this, in 2017 Cumbria County Council and Cumbria LEP worked together to prepare a business case for upgrades to the A595 corridor and Whitehaven Relief Road.

 

In 2017 the Secretary of State for Transport announced that there would be a public consultation on proposals for a Whitehaven Relief Road. Reflecting this, Highways England were now undertaking a 6 week consultation.  This commenced on 7th November and would run until 19th December 2018.

Focused on the Highways England Network, the current consultation was concentrated on the identification of issues on the A595 between Whitehaven and Sellafield. With this it also outlined the potential role of a Whitehaven Relief Road.

The outcome of this consultation would assist DfT in considering whether the Whitehaven Relief Road and other A595 enhancements should be included in the Highway England investment pipeline for the period 2020-2025 known as Road Investment Strategy 2 (RIS2).

Responses on the consultation were sought through a series of questions detailed in Highways England consultation booklet and set out in Appendix 1 to the report. To inform the County Council’s response the views of Local Committee were sought. In particular views were sought on:

·         Key issues on the A595 around Whitehaven;

·         What should be the key objectives for improvements to the route;

·         The value of a Whitehaven Relief Road; and

·         Any other improvements you may wish to see on the Strategic Road Network around Whitehaven.

 

During a discussion the following suggestions were made for consideration;-

 

a)    For the relief road to go as far South of Whitehaven as possible;

b)    For a spur to the West Cumberland hospital;

c)    To futureproof the relief road to take in to consideration industrial estates and increased traffic flow;

d)    To consider the elimination of “rat-running” through villages;

e)    To consider the protection of the local economy by improving infrastructure, such as the Moresby embankment;

f)     Careful consideration of the route of the relief road;

g)    Consideration of rail improvements;

h)    That notwithstanding the Nugen announcement there is still a strong case for improvements

i)     That improvements are important to ensure better access for business and workers to the north, including at the West Cumberland hospital.

j)     Improvements for road safety.

 

It was AGREED that this matter be an item for further discussion for the Highways Working Group on 10 December 2018.

 

Members thanked the Programme Lead - Infrastructure Planning for his report.

 

55.

Traffic Calming; Moresby Parks Road, Moresby Parks pdf icon PDF 90 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report was presented by the Traffic Management Team Leader (West).

The purpose of the report was to up-date Members following the statutory consultation and advertisement of the proposed traffic calming measures at Moresby Parks Road, Moresby Parks, Whitehaven.

During resurfacing works earlier in 2017, Cumbria County Council received a number of complaints from residents of Moresby Parks regarding the speed of traffic travelling through the village along Moresby Parks Road.

Residents acknowledged that there were a number of existing traffic calming measures, namely five speed humps, located between the junction of Moresby Parks Road with School Brow, and St Mark’s Methodist Church.

However, it was requested that additional road humps be installed to cover the Moresby Railway Bridge at the southern extent, as well as at north of the village towards Distington.

An additional six speed humps were therefore consulted upon and advertised; three to the north, and three to the south of the existing measures.  A plan detailing the proposal is attached as Appendix 1 of the report.

Three responses were received during the statutory consultation and advertisement period, which are summarised in Appendix 2 to the report.  None of the representations were against the introduction of the road humps.

RESOLVED that Members agreed to implement the proposed additional six road humps along Moresby Parks Road, Moresby Parks,Whitehaven, as shown on the Location Plan attached as Appendix 1 of the report.

 

56.

WHITEHAVEN TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER AMENDMENT pdf icon PDF 106 KB

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report was presented by the Traffic Management Team Leader (West).

The purpose of this report was to provide Members with the background and details of proposed amendments to the Traffic Regulation Order for Whitehaven, following statutory consultation and advertisement and seeks a recommendation to bring into force the order referred to in paragraph 3.1 of the report to the extents specified therein.

 

The report would enable the local elected Members to make a balanced decision taking into account letters of representation/objection received during the statutory objection period. Subject to the recommendation being approved by Members, Officers would progress with the suggested implementation of the Order detailed at paragraph 3.1 of the report.

The review of the current Whitehaven Traffic Regulation Order was carried out following concerns having being raised by residents, St Beghs School and Church, to highway officers and the Local Member regarding a short, narrow lane on The Gardens, Whitehaven.

 

The proposed solution by officers was to install a short section of one way traffic restriction, with a prohibition of entry, as shown on the plan attached as Appendix 2 of the report. The proposal required an addition to the Whitehaven Traffic Regulation Order (TRO).  Due to the lengthy processes involved when amending a TRO, this had presented an opportunity to also address some other minor issues as additional proposals.

 

Informal consultation was undertaken in April and May 2018, on a number of proposed alterations to traffic restrictions in the Whitehaven area. Statutory advertisement was carried out during September and October 2018 on the proposals detailed below. A copy of the Notice, which summarises the above proposed restrictions, was attached as Appendix 1 of the report:-

 

a)    Proposal Number 1 – The Gardens, Whitehaven.  To introduce a One Way System prohibiting vehicles from travelling in a southerly direction.  As referred to in the paragraph above, concerns were highlighted by a number of residents and the proposal had been designed to reduce “rat-running” and the potential risk to pedestrians in the road.  A plan showing the proposal was attached as Appendix 2 of the report.

 

b)   Proposal Number 2 – Coach Road, Whitehaven.  To introduce a section of “No Waiting at any Time” restrictions (double yellow lines) and a section of “Disc Parking” Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm.  The proposed addition of double yellow lines here had been requested by residents, following inappropriate parking on this section of highway causing obstructions to pedestrians and other road users.  The proposed addition of a disc parking bay allowed for greater turnover of vehicles in this busy area.  A plan showing the proposal was attached as Appendix 3 of the report.

 

c)    Proposal Number 3 – Cleator Moor Road, Whitehaven.  To introduce a section of “No Waiting at any Time” restriction (double yellow lines).  This proposal was designed to improve visibility at its junction with Overend Road.  A plan showing the proposal was attached as Appendix 4 of the report.

 

d)   Proposal Number 4 – High Road, Kells, Whitehaven.  To  ...  view the full minutes text for item 56.

57.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP 16 OCTOBER 2018 pdf icon PDF 85 KB

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Highways Network Manager (Copeland) presented the report.

 

The report gave details of the outcome of the meeting of the Copeland Highways Working Group (HWG) held on 16th October 2018.

RESOLVED that, Copeland Local Committee note the minutes of the Highways Working Group meeting held on 16 October 2018 attached as Appendix 1 to the report.

 

58.

2018/19 LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED BUDGET - HIGHWAYS pdf icon PDF 102 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report was presented by the Highways Network Manager (Copeland).

The report presented the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with an update on the Highways Programme. Detail of which is contained within the attached appendices to the report.

 

The latest Highways Devolved Revenue budget is £629,648 and the latest Highways Devolved Capital budget is £1,919,000.

The attached appendices to the report provided details of budget allocations for both Revenue and Capital budgets. The appendices also contained project and expenditure detail including progress to date as of the end of November 2018.

 

Members were advised to note a number of virements between budget headings in Appendix 2 of the report.

 

Members would also note and as agreed at Copeland Local Committee in September a £50,000 acceleration of funding to support emergency repairs at Linbeck (Badger Set). This in turn amended the devolved budget for 18/19 to £1,919,000.

 

RESOLVED that:-

 

a)    Local Committee note the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2018-19 and the commitments and expenditure recorded in Appendices 1 and 2.

b)    Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Revenue budget, attached as Appendix 1 fo the report, is currently projecting a £27,135 overspend.

c)    Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Capital Budget, attached as Appendix 2 of the report, is currently projecting a balanced budget at this stage.

d)    Members agree to the suggested virements contained within the comments section of Appendix 2 of the report.

 

59.

AREA MANAGER REPORT - COPELAND pdf icon PDF 138 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services.

 

This report brings together information from across the Community teams including Community Development, Libraries, Archives, Public Health and Waste Prevention, and provides Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of the budget position.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Area Manager – Copeland presented this report.

 

The report brought together information from across the Community Team, including Community Development, Libraries, Archives, Public Health, Active Cumbria and Community Waste Prevention. The report provided Local Committee with an update on the work of each area identified against priorities and highlights current issues and provides an overview of the budget position.

COMMUNITY GRANTS AND STRATEGIC ACTIVITY

At a grants panel on Wednesday 31 October 2018 Members considered a number of applications and recommended the following grants:

a)    An allocation of £2,000 from the 0-19 Universal Services budget to the Tony Ward Memorial Trust towards a programme of athletics development work including 5 Star 5 Steps and athletics coaching courses.

b)    An allocation of £1,385 from the General Provision budget to Bootle & District Community First Responders to purchase equipment for new volunteers.

c)    An allocation of £650 from General Provision to purchase slippers to support fall prevention work in Millom.

d)    An allocation of £3,000 from General Provision ring-fenced for Active Cumbria to use for equipment in support of further physical inactivity work with community groups and organisations.    

COPELAND CHILDREN & YOUNG PEOPLE’S PARTNERSHIP 

The meeting of the Partnership on 19th October 2018 included the following agenda items:

a)    Anti-social behaviour and young people in Copeland

b)    Safe Families for Children

c)    Presentation from Safety Net on a Copeland Schools Programme

d)    Update from Howgill Family Centre on the former Kells Library builsing

e)    West Cumbria Bounce Back

f)     Children’s Healthy Lifestyle Programme

g)    Role of Health & Wellbeing Officer and a Copeland Overview

Minutes from the meeting were attached at Appendix 2 of the report.

COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT

The Community Development Team had arranged a series of community training events covering Suicide Alertness and Introduction to Autism.

Through funding made available by Local Committee, two ‘Introduction to Autism’ workshops were delivered by Autism Together. 23 delegates attended in the morning and 16 in the afternoon from a variety of front line organisations that offer services in Copeland.

St Bega’s C of E School was presented with a £500 prize, courtesy of Local Committee, having travelled the most miles by bike during the Tour of Britain Schools competition. Pupils, staff and parents took part in a variety of activities that enable their 31 children to tally 512 miles!    

Assistance was being provided by the team in planning for Millom BeWellfest which was due to take place on 6th April 2019. The event was led by Furness Rotary and will follow the format of previously held events in Barrow and Ulverston.

Following May Local Committee, and the discussions on constitutional changes, the Constitutional Review Group (CRG) have agreed to the request for co-opted membership at local committees.  Members previously advised they would like the Mayor and Deputy of Copeland Borough Council (CBC) and the Chair of the Copeland Local Association of Councils (CALC) to be non-voting members of the committee. They also requested that the Chief Executive of CBC be invited to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 59.

60.

FIRE AND RESCUE CHAMPION

To consider appointing a Fire and Rescue Champion from Copeland Local Committee.

 

Minutes:

It was AGREED that Councillor CP Turner become the Fire Champion for Copeland Local Committee.

 

61.

COPELAND CHAMPIONS UPDATE

To receive updates from the Copeland Champions

 

Minutes:

Autism Champion

 

The Autism Champion updated members on current items of interest to the Local Committee.

 

Children’s Champion

 

The Children’s Champion updated members on current items of interest to the Local Committee.

 

Armed Forces Champion

 

The Armed Forces Champion updated members on current items of interest to the Local Committee.

 

62.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee

 

Minutes:

No updates were given.

 

63.

NUCLEAR ISSUES

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues

 

Minutes:

The Cabinet Member for Nuclear Issues gave members a brief update.

 

An update was given on Toshiba’s decision not to fund the Moorclose project , this has now come to an end. He was pleased to see the support at Council to recover the situation however this may not be for another 5 – 6 years.

 

64.

LOCAL COMMITTEE CHAIRS AND LEADERSHIP MINUTES 9 JULY 2018

Minutes for Information.

 

Minutes:

It was AGREED  that the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs meeting of the 9 July 2018 be circulated to Members.

 

65.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on 15 January 2018 at 10.15 am at the Cleator Moor Civic Hall and Masonic Centre, Jacktrees Road, Cleator Moor CA25 5AU

 

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on 15 January 2019 at Cleator Moor Civic Hall.