Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland
Tuesday, 5th March, 2019 10.15 am

Venue: Cleator Moor Civic Hall and Masonic Centre, Jacktrees Rd, Cleator Moor

Contact: Shamim Lindsay  Email: shamim.lindsay@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

82.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

An apology for absence was received from Mr M Barbour.

 

83.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

Mr M Hawkins declared a non pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in Agenda Item No 9 - Copeland Area Planning Report, as he is a member of the Healthy Hopes Team.

 

Mr G Roberts declared a non pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in Agenda Item No 4 – Public Participation as he is currently the Mayor of Whitehaven Town Council. 

 

Mr A Wonnacott declared a non pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in Agenda Item No 9 – Copeland Area Planning Report, as he is a Governor at Mayfield School.

 

Mrs E Williamson declared a non pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in Agenda Item No 9 – Copeland Area Planning Report, as she has been involved in the Well Whitehaven Project.

 

84.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,        that the press and public be not excluded during consideration of any items of business on the agenda.

 

85.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

(a)  There were no questions, or petitions at the time of despatch.

(b)  Mr J Crewdson wishes to make a statement about the lack of progress on the traffic and regeneration problems in the Coach Road /Ginns and Pow Beck area of Whitehaven.

 

 

Minutes:

Mr G Roberts declared a non pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in this item, as he was currently the Mayor of Whitehaven Town Council. 

 

The Chair invited Mr Crewdon to introduce his statement and make his presentation.

 

Four years ago Mr Crewdson had attended Copeland Local Committee to raise concerns about the lack of progress on the regeneration of Meadow View and Duddon Bridge.

 

Today he wanted to raise similar concerns about the lack of progress with traffic and regeneration of the Coach Road/Ginns and Pow Beck areas of Whitehaven.

 

Some of the sites on Coach Road/Ginns had been empty for almost 20 years.  In recent times ASDA had expressed an interest in developing the site, but this had fallen through, due to the fact that the County Council would not allow the development to go ahead unless ASDA funded road improvements.  Mr Crewdson felt this was very short sighted and that no-one was going to invest if they had to pay additional funds for work which should be funded by the County Council.

 

Mr Crewdson then read out two sections of the Cumbria County Council Local Transport Plan 2006-2011, which referenced Pow Beck Spine Road and Coach Road.

 

In the current Local Transport Plan 2011-2016 neither of these schemes were included. No development had taken place at these sites so why have they been removed from the new plan.

 

Mr Crewdson then raised the issue of the deprived wards in Mirehouse and Sandwith, which without investment would never be improved.  Future plans for additional housing would only make things worse.  He wondered how Cumbria County Council could express concerns for deprived areas, when schemes had been proposed for improvement and then ignored. 

 

Mr Crewdson was disappointed at the lack of cohesive thinking and joined up working to resolve some of the issues to enable the schemes to go ahead.

 

The Chair thanked Mr Crewdon for attending and gave the following response:-

 

I would like to start by thanking Mr Crewdson for attending Local Committee and taking the time to highlight your concerns in person. It’s reassuring that as a resident you are as passionate as this Local Committee in the development of the area.

 

If I can quickly outline the role of this Local Committee and budgets currently devolved to it. As a Local Committee we are responsible for a number of highway budgets. A Capital budget which focuses on improvements to the Non Principal Road Network. This includes carriageway resurfacing, drainage, footway and traffic related improvements. Over the course of the last 3 years this Local Committee has supported spend in the region of £3.5m - £4m per year, which included work to Coach Road.

 

In addition as a Local Committee we readily lobby with support of CCC officers to provide improvements to the Principal Road Network (your A Roads) and work with the Department of Transport to obtain additional funding, such as the Pothole Fund, as a recent example. In  ...  view the full minutes text for item 85.

86.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 213 KB

To receive the minutes of the previous meeting held on 15 January 2019 (copy enclosed)

 

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,     that the minutes of the meeting held on 15 January 2019 be agreed with the following amendment:-

 

On Minute No 71 – Integrated Risk Management Plan delete the last sentence and replace with the following ‘Members proposed a motion to oppose the plans for Frizington Fire Station.  This was AGREED.’

 

87.

Presentation - Children & Young People's Service pdf icon PDF 196 KB

To receive a presentation from the Children & Young People’s Service

 

Minutes:

Members received a presentation from Lesley Sanczuk, the Senior Manager – Children and Families, Allerdale and Copeland, which detailed the following:-

 

·         Children and Young People Service

·         District Contacts

·         Children Looked After (CLA) Strategy 2018

·         National Corporate Parenting Principles

·         Copeland Statistics

·         Early Help

·         Child in Need Plans

·         Child Protection Plans

·         Children Looked After in Copeland

·         CLA Placements

·         Foster Carers

·         Care Leavers

 

Members asked if the figures quoted in the presentation were available by electoral division.  Members suggested it may be helpful to provide figures based on the location of the Children’s Centres in Copeland.  The Senior Manager agreed to investigate this.

 

Members commented that one of the reasons for the high figures quoted for Copeland for Early Help Services was due to the length of time it took for referrals from schools to be processed.

 

The Senior Manager said an exercise had been carried out recently to examine the processes for Early Help and similar comments had been received from head teachers across the county.

 

The Elected Mayor of Copeland asked, given how extreme the figures appeared to be for Copeland, whether the funding allocated matched the need.

 

The Senior Manager said the County Council had recognised these issues and said that during the recent recruitment exercise for Family Resilience Workers Allerdale and Copeland had appointed 5, whereas the other areas had only appointed 2/3.  This was based on the recognised need in Copeland.

 

The Senior Manager commented that when she was first appointed to work with children and families in Copeland some of the families she had worked with then, she was now seeing again, but this time as grandparents.  The County Council needed to look at this in more detail to understand how this circle could be broken.

 

The Area Manager asked whether some of the numbers quoted were linked to the PAUSE project, and the Senior Manager responded to say that this may be the case.  However, there had been some very positive outcomes from this project.

 

Members asked if there was anything they could do to help reduce the figures in Copeland.  The Senior Manager would welcome any help members could provide for the recruitment of Foster Carers, and to influence the commissioning of services.

 

One of the members asked whether the Senior Manager felt the abolition of Truancy Officers had had any effect on the increase in truancy figures in the county, and if the County Council had any interventions in place to re-track these young people.

 

The Senior Manager responded to say that the County Council had an Inclusion Team that dealt with truancy issues and in west Cumbria a strong School Inclusion Panel had been established which worked collaboratively to improve school attendance.

 

The Chair reminded all members that they all had a role to play as Corporate Parents, and the Children’s Champion responded to say that if any members needed further information on this to get in touch with her.

 

The Chair thanked the Senior Manager for her informative presentation, and members noted  ...  view the full minutes text for item 87.

88.

Highways Budget 2018/19 - Year End Summary pdf icon PDF 255 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director - Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed)

 

This report presents the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with an update on the Highways Programme, and also highlights the suggested Devolved Highways Revenue allocation for 2019/20.

 

 

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Local Committee considered a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with an update on the Highways Programme. The report also highlighted the suggested Devolved Highways Revenue allocation for 2019/20.

 

The Highway Network Manager asked members to note that recommendation 3 in the report was not required as this would be dealt with under the Highways Working Group Report.

 

The attached appendices provide details of budget allocations for both Revenue and Capital budgets for 2018/19. The appendices also contained project and expenditure detail including progress to date as of the end of January 2019.

 

Members were advised of a number of proposed virements between budgets 

headings in Appendix 2. Members also recognised that Appendix 2 contained schemes devolved to Local Committee that were accelerated from 2019/20 as a result of additional funding from DfT, hence the increased grand total within the Appendix.

 

The Highway Network Manager explained that the report also outlined to members the suggested devolved Local Committee revenue budget allocation for 2019/20. The recommendations contained in this report were based upon a budget of £648,803 which was equal to that allocated during 2018/2019.

 

Members were reminded that the Revenue budget included highway inspections ‘Find and Fix’ reactive maintenance, gully cleansing, street lighting inspections and repairs. These were carried out by the Council’s own staff. The budget also included verge maintenance and road markings and signage replacement.

 

The Highway Network Manager said officers were currently in the process of reviewing the frequency/priorities for the routine gully cleansing programme to support a wider risk based approach.

 

One of the members asked if it would  be possible to have a schedule of gulley cleaning works planned for the next 12 months.  The Highways Network Manager AGREED to provide this.

 

The Local Member for Cleator Moor East and Frizington asked why the scheme for Rheda Close Junction had been deferred.  The Highway Network Manager would investigate and respond to the local member.

 

The Local Member for Mirehouse asked when it was likely the scheme for Egremont Road would go ahead.  The Highway Network Manager said he would investigate and respond to the local member.

 

Members recognised the huge amount of work undertaken by the Copeland Highways Team to ensure all the pot holes were fixed within a tight timescale.  They asked that their thanks be recorded to the officers for this.

 

Members commented that they felt digital solutions should be explored to make public meetings more accessible to members of the public, and the use of new technology should be explored further to allow this to happen.

 

RESOLVED,     that

 

(1)       Members note the Highways Devolved Revenue budget for 18/19, attached as Appendix 1 is showing an overspend of £27,448. Members must also be aware that this is based on a revised budget of £629,648 following an overspend of £19,155 during 2017/18;

(2)       Members note the Highways Devolved Capital Budget for 2018/19 attached as Appendix 2 to the report  ...  view the full minutes text for item 88.

89.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP - 13 FEBRUARY 2019 pdf icon PDF 175 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director - Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed)

 

This report gives details of the outcome of the meeting of the Copeland Highways Working Group (HWG) held on the 13 February 2019 and presents the HWG recommendations to the Local Committee for approval.

 

 

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Copeland Local Committee considered a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure, which gave details of the meeting of Copeland Highway Working Group held on 13 February 2019 and presented recommendations to the members for approval:-

 

(1)       Minutes

 

RESOLVED that, Copeland Local Committee note the minutes of the Highways Working Group and the recommendations contained within these.

 

(2) Provisional Devolved Highways Revenue Budget 2019/20

 

The report presented to the HWG detailing the provisional Revenue budget for Copeland 2019/20 attached as Appendix 2 to this report contained all of the background information.

 

Members commented that although many of the schemes had been implemented this year there was still a long list of schemes outstanding.  They asked whether Cumbria County Council would be bidding for any additional funding for highways works.

 

The Highways Network Manager said the County Council were expecting to receive an additional £128,000 from DfT to support pot hole repairs.

 

Cumbria County Council had also been allocated £1.6m from the Department for Transport (DfT) to spend on trialling new technology and surface materials to fill potholes.  Cumbria was one of just 8 local authorities in the country to be selected to carry out tests using new highways technology and methods on local roads.

 

Members asked for an update on the progress with proposed speed limits to be introduced in Copeland.  The Traffic Management Team Leader gave members an update.

 

Members asked given the serious nature of the recent crash on Steel Brow, whether this would be raised with the CRASH Group.  The Traffic Management Team Leader would raise this.

 

RESOLVED that, Copeland Local Committee accept the RECOMMENDATION from the HWG to agree the devolved draft highways revenue budget for 2019/20 as proposed.

 

90.

COPELAND AREA PLANNING REPORT pdf icon PDF 416 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report brings together information from across the Community Team and provides Copeland Local Committee with an update on work and activity undertaken to promote and progress Area Planning since the last meeting of the Committee.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mr M Hawkins declared a non pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in this item, as he is a member of the Healthy Hopes team.

 

Mr A Wonnacott declared a non pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in this item, as he is a Governor at Mayfield School.

 

Mrs E Williamson declared a non pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in this item, as she has been involved in the Well Whitehaven Project.

 

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure, which brought together information from across the Community Team and provided them with an update on work and activity undertaken to promote and progress Area Planning since the last meeting of Committee.

 

In relation to the Area Planning Update the Area Manager detailed the range of briefings and event that had taken place since the last meeting.  She then took members through the Area Planning Projects, detailing:-

 

·      Whitehaven Community Hub

·      Millom Area Planning

·      Whitehaven Area Planning

 

Members asked whether the new building for the Whitehaven Community Hub would be fully disabled accessible.  The Area Manager reassured members that the building would comply fully with the latest Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) regulations.

 

The Chair had received a letter from the Elected Mayor about Millom, and members proposed meeting up with the Mayor to discuss this further.  It was proposed that the meeting would take place on 22 March at 10.30am.  This was AGREED.

 

With reference to the High Street Fund, which was one of the current opportunities for the area.  The aim of this was to ‘renew and reshape town centres and high streets in a way that would improve experience, drive growth and ensure future sustainability.’  The Borough Council would be the applicant for this fund but it was important that bids were supported by partners within the area.  Officers have been working with colleagues from the Borough Council as they develop a High Street Fund application as an Expression of Interest.  Local Committee were asked to confirm their support for the development and submission of this bid.

 

Members noted that National No Smoking Day would be held on 13 March 2019.  Stopping smoking remained the best change that someone could make to improve their health and wellbeing. Following on from the January Health Harms campaign this encouraged people to quit and highlighted the support available to them.

 

The Area Manager highlighted that the NHS Cervical Screening Programme was established in 1988 and had made a significant impact on cervical cancer mortality, saving an estimated 5,000 lives a year. However, coverage was at a 20-year low. To help address this issue, on 5 March 2019 Public Health England would launch its first national multimedia cervical screening campaign.

 

The Area Manager then detailed the Libraries and Archives Update for members, specifically detailing:-

 

·      One off cultural events

·      Arts Out West

·      Cleator Caring Moor

·      Seascale Library Community Asset Transfer (CAT)

 

Following the roll-out of IT one to ones at Whitehaven and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 90.

91.

CHAMPIONS UPDATE

To receive updates from the Copeland Champions

 

Minutes:

Updates were received from:-

 

·         Children’s Champion

·         Dementia Champion

·         Autism Champion

 

The Chair thanked the Champions for their updates.

 

92.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee

 

Minutes:

There were no updates given from Outside Bodies/External Committees on this occasion.

 

93.

NUCLEAR ISSUES

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues

 

Minutes:

Mr D Southward updated Copeland Local Committee on a meeting he had attended yesterday with Richard Harrington, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.

 

The discussions had centred around the Moorside Development in West Cumbria and Mr Harrington acknowledged that future nuclear power developments in the country would need to have some Government support.

 

The Chair thanked Mr Southward for the update.

 

94.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on 21 May 2019 at Millom Network Centre at 10.15am (to be confirmed)

 

 

Minutes:

The next meeting will be on 21 May 2019 at Millom Network Centre at 11.15am.

 

Please note the change of start time.