Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Allerdale
Tuesday, 3rd September, 2019 10.00 am

Venue: Wigton Market Hall, Wigton

Contact: Daniel Hamilton  Email: daniel.hamilton@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

32.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Mr M Johnson, Mr S Stoddart and Lord R Liddle.  

33.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for       profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                        interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the         area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one       hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest made on this occasion.

34.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business.

 

35.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

None for this meeting at the time of despatch.

 

Minutes:

There were no public questions, petitions or statements made on this occasion.

36.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 86 KB

To confirm the minutes of the last meeting held on 2 July 2019 as an accurate and complete record (copy enclosed).

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 2 July 2019 be confirmed as an accurate and complete record with the following amendment.

 

·         Cllr Tibble be listed as having given apologies to the meeting held on Tuesday 2 July 2019.

37.

LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED BUDGET 2019-2020 MONITORING REPORT HIGHWAYS BUDGET pdf icon PDF 119 KB

[Electoral Divisions:All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members had before them a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services.

 

The Local Committee’s 2019-20 proposed Cash Limited Budget was approved by Council on 14 February 2019. Members were informed that the latest Highways Devolved Revenue budget was £1,137,330 and that the latest Highways Devolved Capital budget was £3,581,894.

 

The Highways Network Manager explained that £39,932 overspend brought forward from the 2018/19 Devolved Highway Revenue budget was to be offset in 2019/20 by reductions in the following: Better Highways; Cleansing & Verge Maintenance. Similarly, it was discussed that there was underspend on the following Devolved Capital schemes and that these were to be vired into BH Permanent Repairs, Minor Structural Maintenance:

 

 

·         Criffel Street, Silloth

·         Anthorn Village

·         Briarbank, Cockermouth

·         BargrowLonning

·         GreySouthern to Crow Wood

 

 

The Local Committee allocated £20,000 toward the Keswick Transport Study which had been vired to the Infrastructure and Planning team who managed this specific project.   

 

The underspend on the devolved Capital Scheme at Square was used to fund new schemes at Blecogo Village, Station Street Keswick, Nelson Street Maryport and Camerton Village. A discussion took place regarding the positive feedback from the residents in Keswick who praised the completed scheme as did the Local Member. The Highways Network Manager detailed the work and informed members how savings had been made and informed them that the project had been completed earlier than estimated. Members thanked the Highways Team for their efforts.

 

A discussion took place regarding the shared responsibility of the County Council and Allerdale District Council to work together and to improve communication, with each other and with the public, so as to improve awareness and accountability.

 

Members discussed roadside verges in Cumbria and recognised that they were a valuable resource for wildlife. Members sought assurances regarding the situations when it would be beneficial to leave verges uncut. It was AGREED that the Council’s policy for verge cutting be circulated to members.

 

It was RESOLVED that,

 

1)    Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Revenue budget and agree the highlighted virements to enable a balanced budget to be achieved. 

 

2)    Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Capital Budget and agree the highlighted virements to enable a balanced budget to be achieved. 

 

38.

Road Safety Update

To receive an update from the Road Safety Co-Ordinator.

Minutes:

This item was deferred to a future meeting.

39.

Cockermouth Traffic Regulation Order Review pdf icon PDF 148 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Cockermouth]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which detailed the proposed changes to parking restrictions in and around Cockermouth following statutory consultation and advertisement which concluded on 9 August 2019.

 

The Traffic Management Officer highlighted some amendments to Proposal No. 3 - Brewery Lane, Cockermouth, to introduce No Waiting at Any Time restrictions where parked vehicles often obstruct access on a very narrow stretch of road. 1 response had been received in support of the proposal, however requesting a slight reduction in the proposed length of restriction. The Officer agreed with the suggested alteration and detailed the proposal for members. 

 

As referred to in the Recommendation at paragraph 3.2 of the report, one other objection had been received from a member of the public relating to an existing disc parking area on Isel Road, Cockermouth. Officers explained that this did not relate to any of the proposed alterations of the Cockermouth Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) Review.

 

Officers explained the basis of the objection. Firstly that a section of Disc Parking on the west side of Isel Road, narrowed the carriageway and restricted the passage of  emergency vehicles in to and out of the Community Hospital and secondly that no review of the restrictions on Isel Road had taken place since the opening of the Community Hospital.A discussion took place in which Officers assured members that the Community Hospital were satisfied with the section of Disk Parking.

 

Members raised concerns over the TRO proposals for Cockermouth and the consultation with members. The Officer agreed to look into this.

 

It was RESOLVED that,

 

1)    having taken into consideration the representations which were received to the proposals summarised in the Notice attached as Appendix 1 of the report, and the matters contained in section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which are more specifically referred to at paragraph 7.2 of this report, that Members of the Local Committee agree that “The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Cockermouth and Surrounding Area) (Traffic Regulation) Order 20><” (“the Order”) be brought into operation, as advertised, save that the proposed introduction of “no waiting at any time” restrictions on the south-east side of Brewery Lane, Cockermouth, terminate at a point 137m west of its junction with Wyndham Row, to the extent shown on the plan attached as Appendix 5, a reduction of 2m from that which was advertised.

 

2)    Members of the Local Committee note that an objection to an existing disc parking area on Isel Road, Cockermouth, near the Community Hospital, which does not form any part of the proposals specified in the Notice attached as Appendix 1 of the report, has been received from a member of the public, as referred to at paragraphs 4.23 and 4.24 of the report.  The objector advised that unless and until their request to have the disc parking area on Isel Road be removed, has been satisfied, that they intend to make an application to the High Court  ...  view the full minutes text for item 39.

40.

Keswick Traffic Regulation Order pdf icon PDF 126 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Keswick]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure. The purpose of the report is to provide Members with the background and details of proposed amendments to parking and traffic restrictions in Keswick and its surrounding area following an informal consultation which concluded on 9 January 2019.

 

The Officer took members through the report and noted that members gave their support to the proposals.

 

It was RESOLVED that,

 

1)    Local Committee agrees to proceed to statutory consultation and advertisement on the proposed amendments to parking restrictions in Keswick and its surrounding area, as shown on the plans attached as Appendix 1 of the report.

 

2)    Local Committee agrees that, subject to there being no unresolved objections received at the end of the statutory consultation and advertisement of the changes referred to in paragraph 1) above, that the changes be brought into operation, as advertised, having taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which were more specifically referred to at paragraph 7.2 of the report.

 

41.

Area Planning pdf icon PDF 145 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members had before them a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which detailed the work of the committee and partner organisations to achieve shared aspirations in the community.

The Area Manager took members through the report and highlighted a number of projects including the success of Mini Marras family fun days which links with the Feed and Read initiative to support families experiencing financial exclusion during the school holiday period. Activities include Summer Reading Challenge, Crafts, Slime Master Class, a Nature Walk and an interactive session from Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service.

It was noted that since writing the report, the Government announced that further awards were being made and Maryport was due to benefit from this. Members were pleased to hear this.

Members noted that since reporting to the last local committee, the Portfolio Holder Health and Care Services had recently visited Aspatria and met with representatives from the town council and staff from Park Lodge Care Home and the Childrens’ Centre.

The Community Services Team also facilitated a drop-in session at the library in Aspatria on 24 July to talk to residents about current and future demand for services in the town and to generate ideas for a firm proposal to be taken forward.

Members were brought up to date with the services available at the Maryport Community Hospital  as the hospital now has a purpose built day unit which is open 7 days a week (8am to 8pm) including bank holidays. The Local Member reminded the Local Committee that the Hospital had also recently lost end of life care services.

The Local Member for Silloth reminded officers of the need to address the situation in the library where  more capacity within the workforce was required.

Members were aware that national funding to Citizens Advice Bureau had increased and it was AGREED that the Area Manager would investigate whether as a result of this Allerdale would receive an increase in funding.

It was RESOLVED that,     Members note the contents of the report.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

42.

Investments in our Communities pdf icon PDF 113 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report sets out the priority areas in relation to people across Allerdale and identifies projects that are considered to improve the lives and opportunities for the local population.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which provided an update on the activity of the Council and partners that contributed to the community. The report also sets out the details of funding available and grant applications submitted against those funds that required local committee approval.

 

There were no applications for funding in excess of £5,000 from the General Provision.

 

Members were informed that Solway Views health and wellbeing resident research situated in Mossbay / Salterbeck had secured further funding from NIHR (National Institute of Health Research).

 

Discussion then took place regarding the new Women’s Centre which had been launched in Kells, Whitehaven called WOW “Women Out West”. The Area Manager was asked to ascertain how women from towns in Allerdale were able to access the Centre.

 

It was RESOLVED that,      members note the contents of the report.

 

 

43.

Investment in Children and Young People pdf icon PDF 152 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Allerdale]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update on the key issues affecting children and young people in Allerdale, including current health issues. It sets out the details of funding available and grant applications submitted against those funds.

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which provided an update on the activity of the Council and partners that contributed to the Children and Young People’s Partnership. The report also set out the details of funding available and grant applications submitted against those funds that required local committee approval.

 

The breastfeeding and peer support (BAPs) sessions delivered by trained volunteers at Seaton Library had proved so popular that sessions have now been extended to all the service users. The service had received positive feedback about the sessions and pregnant women had now started to attend in preparation for the arrival of a new baby. Training of additional volunteers had been agreed in September to further expand the service.

Members noted that two organisations had applied for funding are Together We to fund a level 3 Personal Trainer apprentice and one from Citizens Advice Bureau to fund a level 3 Business Administration apprentice. Members supported these.

Members discussed the recommendations for appointing to Outside Bodies, some concern was expressed regarding nomination to the Keswick School Trust.

It was RESOLVED that,

 

1)    Members note the contents of the report

 

2)    Members agree to £5,000 of sums previously agreed to be utilised by Together We to fund an apprentice.

 

3)    Members agree to £5,000 of sums previously agreed to be utilised by Citizens Advice Bureau to fund an apprentice.

 

4)    Members agree to nominate a Cllr J Holiday to be appointed to the West Cumbria Learning Centre Management – Pupil Referral Unit.

 

5)    Members noted the position regarding Council representation of Keswick School Trust.

 

 

44.

Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Minutes pdf icon PDF 77 KB

To confirm the minutes of the last meeting of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Board held on 8 July 2019 as an accurate and complete record (copy enclosed).

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     Members note the minutes of the last meeting of Local Committee Chairs and Leadership held on 8 July 2019.

45.

Workington Harbour Management Committee Minutes pdf icon PDF 72 KB

To confirm the minutes of the last meeting of the Workington Harbour Management Committee 18 July 2019 as an accurate and complete record (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     Members note the minutes of the last meeting of Workington Harbour Management Committee held on 18 July 2019.

 

46.

CHAMPION UPDATES

To receive updates from Allerdale’s Local Committee Champions

 

Minutes:

The Armed Forces Champion updated members on the Service Champions training day held in Penrith.  The Chair thanked members for the update.

 

47.

VERBAL REPORTS FROM MEMBERS SERVING ON OUTSIDE BODIES

Members representing Allerdale Local Committee are invited to report back verbally on recent meetings they may have attended.

Minutes:

No verbal updates were provided from members serving on outside bodies.

48.

ACTIONS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

[Electoral Divisions –  All Allerdale ]

 

To consider a report by the Area Support Manager (copy enclosed).

 

This report updates the Committees on actions arising from previous meetings.

 

Minutes:

It was AGREED that,

 

1)    Minute No. 105 – Briefing note on Lone Working Policy be removed when it is circulated after the meeting.  

 

2)    Minute No 14 – Report on appointment of Outside Bodies be removed as concerns regarding Outside Bodies were addressed at the meeting.

 

3)    Minute No 38 – Allerdale Borough Council Public Wifi Update be amended so as to state that it will be delivered as a joint update from Allerdale District Council and Cumbria County Council.

49.

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held at Moorclose Community Centre on 18 November 2019 at 10am.

Minutes:

The next meeting will take at Moorclose Community Centre on 18 November 2019 at 10:00am.