Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Carlisle
Wednesday, 15th January, 2020 10.00 am

Venue: Conference Room A/B, Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle, CA1 1RD

Contact: Lynn Harker  Email: lynn.harker@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

Sandra Radcliffe, Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Co?ordinator attended for agenda item 6 – Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking (minute 68 refers).

 

63.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Dr K Lockney and Mr R Watson.

 

64.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

            (a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

            (a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

            (b)       Either –

 

(i)                 The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)               If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

Mr SF Young declared a non?pecuniary interest in agenda item 7 – Area Planning Report (minute 69 refers) as he was a Trustee of Currock Community Centre.

 

65.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting for any items of business on this occasion.

 

66.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There are no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

There were no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

67.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 103 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 12 November 2019 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 12 November 2019 be confirmed as circulated and thereupon signed by the Chair.

 

With reference to the issues which had arisen since KFC had begun trading in Carlisle members were informed discussions were ongoing.

 

Further to minute 58 (Area Planning) the Committee was informed that the Chair had received a letter of apology from the appropriate football club regarding the disturbance at the Remembrance Day Service and was assured this would not happen again.

 

68.

Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking pdf icon PDF 216 KB

To receive a presentation from Cumbria Police Authority (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a presentation from Sandra Radcliffe, Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Co?ordinator.  The presentation included the following statistics:-

 

Ø   In 2018 there were 6,994 referrals of potential victims of modern slavery reported into the Competent Authority; this was a 36% increase on the 2017 total.

 

Ø   Between 1 April and 30 June 2019 there were 2,320 referrals of potential victims of modern slavery, which was an increase on the previous quarter of 8% and a 40% increase on the same quarter in 2018.

 

Ø   UK Nationals were the highest referred nationality, the majority of which were minors at the time of referral.

 

Ø   The number of minors referred had increased by 48% compared with 2017.

 

Ø   The most common type of exploitation for both adults and minors was labour which included criminal exploitation.

 

The Committee received information regarding the different types of exploitation which included sexual, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude, forced criminality and removal of organs.  It was explained that, with the exception of the removal of organs, all other types of exploitation had been reported in Cumbria.

 

Members were informed of the National Referral Mechanism; a framework for identifying and referring potential victims of modern slavery and ensuring the appropriate support was received.  It was explained that, if required, potential victims would be allocated a place within Government funded safe house accommodation.  The Committee noted that victims would be offered support which included relevant legal advice, protection and independent emotional and practical help.

 

The Committee was informed of the new Unseen App and the Safer Car Wash App which had been developed to allow the public to report any signs of modern slavery to a Helpline.  Members were encouraged to report any concerns as appropriate.

 

Members were informed that the Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Co?ordinator post had an initial two years funding.  It was explained that the role and expectation included the introduction of a guidance document which would include information from a number of partner organisations, including the Local Safeguarding Board, which would provide help and guidance for victims.  It was emphasised that exploitation could not be eradicated and the importance of raising awareness was highlighted. 

 

A discussion took place regarding the sources of intelligence, it was suggested that the Inland Revenue could also be pro-active in this and asked whether they were involved in the process.  The Co?ordinator agreed to investigate this further and report back.

 

The Committee discussed all forms of intelligence and co?ordination with local businesses in communities, and local shops was highlighted as a possibility.  Members were informed that information was made available to service stations and larger supermarkets but agreed local communities should also be included.  It was agreed that discussions would take place with local voluntary groups to consider this further.

 

During the course of discussion a query was raised regarding discussions taking place with groups of non UK residents to help them understand information.  It was suggested this  ...  view the full minutes text for item 68.

69.

AREA PLANNING REPORT pdf icon PDF 122 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update on its agreed activity, a financial statement in support of these activities and requests decisions on a range of issues.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which provided members with recommendations for grants and asked to consider, note and approve recommendations in respect of budget commitments, grant allocations from the recommendations of its strategic Grants Panel and other relevant matters relating to area planning.

 

Members were given an update regarding the Thriving Communities priorities and Commemorations of the 75th Anniversary of VE and VJ Day.  It was explained that following the success of the Thriving Communities pilots in South Lakeland and Barrow this would be rolled out to Carlisle as soon as possible.  Officers anticipated this would require some pump priming funding to enable alternative provision.

 

The Committee noted that with respect to the Commemorations of the 75th Anniversary of VE and VJ Day, the Local Committee Chair and Vice Chair had been in discussions with colleagues from the Royal British Legion and Lord Lieutenants Office to celebrate and commemorate VE day and VJ Day.  It was explained that VE Day falls soon after the financial year end and there may not be sufficient time to process requests for any funding or support in the new financial year. 

 

Members were, therefore, requested to allocate £15,000 from the currently unallocated £26,000 of General Provision funding to enable those two areas to progress in the current financial year.  During the course of discussion the need for communication with parish councils was highlighted to avoid duplication of events.

 

A discussion took place regarding the Future High Streets Fund and Town Deal Funding.  The Committee highlighted the importance of maximising the use of resources and minimising duplication.  The Leader of the County Council welcomed the joint work being undertaken with Carlisle City Council and thanked the Leader of Carlisle City Council for his initiative. 

 

During the course of discussion the local Member for Yewdale asked that investment also be considered for local shopping precincts in the Carlisle area highlighting the benefits this could make to local communities.

 

RESOLVED,   that

 

                          (1)       the commitments made and the remaining balances within delegated budgets and the grants (detailed in Appendix 1 to the report) be noted;

 

                                      (2)       the following grants made from General Provision funding (as detailed in Appendix 2 of the report) be noted:-

 

                                      (a)       £1,000 to Brampton and District Tennis Club towards the purchase of equipment;

 

                                      (b)       £1,965 to Sustainable Carlisle towards co?ordination time for a worker to support volunteers with a series of local activities in two specific areas over six months from February to July 2020;

 

                          (3)       a grant of £1,100 to Currock Community Centre towards running a one week Easter Playscheme and a two week summer playscheme in 2020 for children living in the area from 0?19 Grant funding (as detailed in Appendix 3 of the report) be noted;

 

                          (4)       £15,000 be allocated from General Provision budget to Thriving Communities and VE/VJ Day commemorations.

 

70.

2019/20 HIGHWAYS BUDGET/PROGRAMME PROGRESS REPORT pdf icon PDF 120 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports, combined with the highways programme progress information, as detailed in the attached appendices.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which detailed the Highways Revenue, Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports, combined with the highways programme progress information.

 

The local Member for Yewdale, whilst acknowledging the backlog of works to be undertaken, raised his concerns about an outstanding scheme in his area regarding the placing of bollards.  The Local Area Highways Network Manager agreed to investigate this matter and report back direct.

 

The local Member for Botcherby highlighted concerns regarding a number of postponed schemes in his area; Durranhill Viaduct, surface sealing on Victoria Road and flooding issues on Broad Street.  The Local Area Highways Network Manager informed the Committee that detailed discussions had taken place with the local Member regarding Victoria Bridge and an inspection would be undertaken to determine what work was required; Victoria Road would be considered when determining next year’s Programme of Works and Broad Street had previously been allocated a significant amount of money, therefore, schemes in other areas had also to be considered in a future Programme. 

 

The local Member for Corby and Hayton raised his concerns regarding the delay in repairing a pothole in his Division and the Local Area Highways Network Manager agreed to investigate this matter further and report back direct.

 

During the course of discussion it was agreed that the local Member for Longtown would receive an update on Longtown Bridge.

 

RESOLVED,   that the following be noted:-

 

                          (1)       the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2019/20 and the commitments and expenditure (recorded in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report);

 

                          (2)       the programme progress information (shown in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report);

 

                          (3)       the Highways Revenue budget has been split for use against various budget headings.

 

71.

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 107 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides details of the meeting of the Highways and Transport Working Group held on 3 December 2019 and presents recommendations for the Local Committee to consider.  

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which provided details of the meeting of the Highways and Transport Working Group held on 3 December 2019.

 

(1)       Minutes

 

RESOLVED,   that the minutes be noted.

 

(2)       2019/20 Highways Budget/Programme Progress Report

 

RESOLVED,   that the following be noted:-

 

                          (a)       the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2019/20 and the commitments and expenditure (as detailed in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report);

 

                          (b)       the programme progress information (shown in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report);

 

                          (c)       the Highways Revenue budget has been split for use against various budget headings.

 

(3)       Wallholme Bridge – Introduction of 7.5 Tonnes Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight Restriction

 

RESOLVED,   that The County of Cumbria (U1051 Wallholme Bridge, near Low Row) (Prohibition of Heavy Commercial Vehicles over 7.5 Tonnes Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight) Order 20>< be brought into operation as advertised, having taken into consideration the matters contained in section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

 

(4)       Hynam Bridge – Reduction in Weight Limit from 25 Tonnes Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight to 10 Tonnes Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight

 

RESOLVED,   that The County of Cumbria (U1210 Hynam Bridge, near Castle Carrock) (Prohibition of Heavy Commercial Vehicles over 10 Tonnes Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight) Order 20>< be brought into operation as advertised having taken into consideration the matters contained in section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

 

(5)       Parking Issues on Wingate Road and Surrounding Areas

 

RESOLVED,   that the following be noted:-

 

                          (a)       officers are to carry out further discussion with Carlisle City Council and local businesses and the car park owner, to seek measures that they can put in place to reduce on?street parking demand.  This demand has been created by the removal of the free car park on Rosehill industrial estate which has since been replaced with a pay and display facility, and agree to delay any action to introduce on?street parking management measures on Wingate Road until these discussions have taken place;

 

                          (b)       a further report be considered at the next meeting of the Carlisle Highways and Transport Working Group on 12 February 2020.

 

(6)       Traffic Regulation Order – Broad Street Rear Lanes, Carlisle

 

RESOLVED,   that no further action be taken with regard to the introduction of the remaining part of The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Carlisle Urban and Rural Area) (Consolidation and Minor Amendment of Traffic Regulations (Order 2001) Variation (No 56) Order 20><, namely the introduction of the “No Waiting, 8 am–6 pm, Monday to Friday” proposals for Broad Street Play Area (Broad Street rear lane, Petteril Street rear lane and River Street rear lane) (as shown on the plan attached as Appendix 1 to the report), as any further consideration of changes to parking management can be considered as part of the Zone B Parking review due to be commenced in the next 18 months.

 

72.

MEMBER CHAMPION UPDATES

To receive updates from Carlisle Member Champions.

72a

Autism Champion pdf icon PDF 72 KB

(copy enclosed).

Minutes:

The Local Committee received an update from the Autism Champion.  Members were informed that the Library was still waiting for their approval from the National Autistic Society for the development of their sensory room. 

 

Mrs Bowditch intended to visit the Library to offer further support and assistance with the development of an autism friendly session and The Lanes Management Suite, accompanied by an adult with autism, to allow them to give their views on what support would be beneficial.

 

The Committee was given an update on new ventures noting that Asda was intending to develop an Autism Friendly session in their Kingstown store. 

 

Members were informed that the main Sainsbury’s and Tesco stores in Carlisle had introduced a system which invited people who may need support to ask for a special lanyard to alert staff to the possible need for help. 

 

The Member Champion intended to meet with Triple A, an Autism awareness group, to offer support.  It was noted that Mrs Bowditch continued to attend Autism Champion meetings and the Learning Disability Partnership Board.

 

In conclusion it was highlighted that Autism Week would take place from 30 March to 5 April 2020 and welcomed support from members.  Mrs Bowditch emphasised that she was still hopeful that the County Council would add an autism awareness slogan to their website and would follow this up.

72b

Children in Care Champion Update pdf icon PDF 83 KB

(copy enclosed).

Minutes:

Members received an update report from the Children in Care Council Champion.

 

The Committee noted the background for 2019 and welcomed the update looking forward to 2020 which included looking at the latest ward based data around childhood obesity and piloting projects in key areas of need based on the data, working with Carlisle Carers to look at funding for projects, reviewing the Universal Youth Provision project and looking at recommendations for the future, updates from Active Cumbria, looking at the latest “Making your Mark” ballot (National and Regional Based Survey of young people), meeting up with young people for the Carlisle Youth Council and other youth groups in February half term to obtain greater involvement from young people and their views.

 

Mrs Mallinson had attended the successful Looked After Children’s Christmas events held both in Carlisle and Barrow and thanked officers in both Children’s Services and the Communications Team for making them successful.

72c

Armed Forces Champion

(verbal update).

 

Minutes:

Members received an update from the Armed Forces Champion.  It was explained that work with veterans continued to be recognised, particularly through the Armed Forces Covenant Partnership meetings. 

 

Mrs Tarbitt had met with the Support Hub Manager from Phoenix House, a recovery centre at Catterick Garrison, and would meet the Team in the near future to convey her thanks for their support.

 

The Committee was informed that under the Employers Recognition Scheme the Authority were already Bronze and Silver Award holders and the process had begun for the Gold Award for 2020.

 

In conclusion, a request was made for a display area in the foyer of Cumbria House.

 

 

The Chair thanked the Member Champions for their updates.

 

73.

Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Meeting pdf icon PDF 70 KB

To receive the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 15 November 2019 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,   that the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 15 November 2019 be noted.

 

74.

LOCAL COMMITTEE FOR CARLISLE - FORWARD PLAN pdf icon PDF 86 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Carlisle]

 

The Forward Plan of items for meetings of the Local Committee for Carlisle is attached for information.

 

Minutes:

The current Forward Plan of business for future meetings of the Local Committee was noted.

 

75.

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

To note that the next meeting of Carlisle Local Committee will be held on Wednesday 11 March 2020 at 10.00 am in Conference Room A/B, Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the next scheduled meeting will take place on Wednesday 11 March 2020 at 10.00 am at Cumbria House, Botchergate, Carlisle.