Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Barrow
Wednesday, 18th November, 2020 10.30 am

Venue: This will be a virtual meeting, therefore, will not take place in a physical location. To view this event please click link below:

Contact: Lynn Harker  Email: lynn.harker@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

28.

Roll Call for Members and Officers

Minutes:

The members and officers listed above were presented at the meeting.

 

29.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

An apology for absence was received from Mr S Wielkopolski.

 

30.

Disclosures of Interest

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

            (a)    Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)    Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer.

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)    The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)    The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

            (a)    That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

            (b)    Either –

 

(i)            The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

                     (ii)        If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

Mr B Shirley declared a pecuniary interest in agenda item 8 – Barrow Consolidation Traffic Regulation Order Variation No 39 (minute 35 refers) as members of his family owned the Escape Hotel, Lawson Street and land on Buccleuch Street, Barrow, and took no part in any discussions.

 

31.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item of business.

 

32.

Public Participation

There are no public questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

33.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 87 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 18 September 2020 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

With reference to minute 24 – Barrow Area Planning Report – the LEA Governor nomination to the Newbridge House Pupil Referral Unit should have read Councillor Assouad and not Councillor Seward.

 

RESOLVED,    that with inclusion of the above amendment the minutes of the meeting held on18 September 2020 be confirmed as a correct record.

 

34.

Cumbria Highways Asset Management Strategy (2020-2025) pdf icon PDF 84 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update on the Cumbria Highways Asset Management Strategy which was approved by Cabinet in July 2020.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which provided an update on the Cumbria Highways Asset Management Strategy that had been approved by Cabinet in July 2020.

 

The Committee was informed it had been developed to improve the management of the Council’s highways assets and allowed for the longer term planning; taking into consideration customer needs, local priorities and asset condition whilst making the best use of the available resources.

 

Members noted that the Highways Asset Management Strategy set out how the Council would deliver a Highways Service over the next five years and drive decisions about investment in the highway network and the direction for future models of service delivery.

 

The Committee discussed the implementation of the new permitting scheme to manage and co?ordinate all highway and utility works on the highway network, which would help reduce delays caused by roadworks across the county.  Members were informed that any company undertaking works on the highway were now issued with a defined timescale and if they failed to complete works within the deadline the Authority had legal powers to penalise and issue them with fines. 

 

During the course of discussion it was felt that if fines were not set high enough it would not give companies the incentive to complete works within agreed timescales.  Officers explained the permit system was a national agreed set of charges but also highlighted the Authority had legal powers to take the matter to a court if necessary.  Members were informed that since the scheme had been introduced in February there had been a definite improvement and positive work continued with utility and other companies.

 

Members were informed that the Authority’s Streetworks Team actively monitored works which were undertaken to ensure they met the required standard.

 

Officers explained that information regarding all roadworks being undertaken across the entire road network in the country was now available on a national database which was accessible to everyone.

 

A discussion took place regarding data sharing and the recognition that a key improvement area was the availability of data and the provision of timely information to customers with a concern being raised regarding issues being referred from the Authority to other agencies.  The Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure acknowledged that this was not acceptable and explained that one of the key pieces of work for the revised system was for the Authority’s Digital Team to investigate the reporting mechanism in anticipation that this would improve those issues and have a seamless end to end system.

 

During the course of discussion, whilst members welcomed HIMS, highlighted the need for better engagement with the public regarding the system.  Officers agreed there was a need for improved communication and informed members that this would be taken into account when the new system was launched in March/April 2021.

 

The Committee welcomed the focus on climate and environmental change whilst highlighting the significant issues with regards to coastal erosion in the Barrow area and along the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 34.

35.

BARROW CONSOLIDATION TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER VARIATION ORDER NO 39 pdf icon PDF 122 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report sets out the responses to the statutory consultation and advertising of the traffic regulation order.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

(Mr B Shirley declared a pecuniary interest in this item and took no part in the discussion).

 

The Local Committee considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which detailed the responses to the statutory consultation and advertising of the traffic regulation order, The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Barrow-in-Furness) (Consolidation and Minor Amendment of Traffic Regulations) (Order 2001) Variation Order (No 39) 20><, (“the Order”) which included proposals for various locations in Askam?in?Furness, Barrow?in?Furness and Dalton-in-Furness.

 

The local Member for Walney South raised his concerns regarding the entry in Appendix 4 of the report which referred to restrictions for The Promenade, Walney.  A single response was received in objection to the extension of the existing double yellow lines.  In the summary and recommendation outcome for The Promenade on Walney it was indicated that the proposal would not be implemented as advertised.  The local Member for Walney South was concerned that the proposal should be implemented.  Members noted that after checking Appendix 4 of the report the entry referred to, the Traffic Management Team Leader was able to explain that it was an error and it should have indicated that it be recommended that the proposal should be implemented as advertised.

 

The local Member for Walney North welcomed the proposals for the entrance to North Scales village but raised his concerns regarding the proposed parking restrictions near the Crown Hotel and asked why his suggestion to extend the double?yellow lines to in front of the Hotel to improve visibility had not been agreed.  The Traffic Management Team Leader explained that once the Traffic Regulation Order had been advertised anything added to it which was more onerous or restrictive would result in it being advertised again and delaying the process, therefore, proposed that ‘keep clear’ markings were placed there for the time?being and the extension of the double?yellow be considered in a future Traffic Regulation Order.

 

The local Member for Hindpool raised concerns regarding lines which had eroded at a disabled parking bay in her Division.  It was agreed details would be made available to the Traffic Management Team Leader for further investigation.

 

The local Member for Roosecote raised concerns about the lack of correspondence regarding a proposed disabled parking bay in his Division and highlighted a number of issues raised by local residents in his area.  It was agreed that details of the disabled parking bay be forwarded to the Traffic Management Team Leader for further investigation and that a site visit would be arranged with officers and the local Member to look at the other issues in the Division.

 

The local Member for Dalton South raised a query about disabled parking bays on a street that may no longer be required by the resident.  A discussion took place regarding disabled parking bays and officers asked members to inform them of any which it was felt were no longer required.

 

RESOLVED,   that having taken into consideration the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 35.

36.

Barrow Highways Devolved Capital and Revenue Update 2020/21 pdf icon PDF 107 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports and updates Members as to current progress on these budget lines.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which detailed the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports and updated the Committee as to current progress on those budget lines .

 

The Committee was informed that the original Devolved Highways Revenue budget of £782,608 was now £849,635 and the Devolved Highways Capital budget of £1,323,034 was now £1,179,802.

 

The local Member for Dalton North asked for confirmation regarding the expenditure to date on the Market Street and Nelson Street schemes and officers confirmed this was due to staff costs for preparation of the works.  A discussion took place regarding the expected completion date of the schemes and it was agreed the Local Highways Network Manager would investigate this matter and report back direct to the local Member.

 

The local Member for Dalton South suggested that drainage works be undertaken as part of the Market Street scheme.

 

The local Member for Roosecote raised his concerns regarding the current closure of Manor Road.  The Local Highways Network Manager explained colleagues were currently in discussion with English Heritage to determine responsibility for the structure and agreed to provide the local Member with further information.

 

The local Member for Hindpool raised her concerns regarding the condition of back streets in the Barrow area and suggested that any unallocated funds be used to resurface them.  The Local Highways Network Manager, whilst acknowledging the concerns raised, informed the Committee that currently there was no spare funding available.  It was explained that a survey of the back streets would be undertaken over the following months and a prioritised list would be made available to members.  During the course of discussion it was agreed a member could accompany the officer on a site visit.  Officers suggested that a proportion of any future additional pothole funding from Government could be used for works on the back streets.

 

RESOLVED,   that the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2020/21 and the commitments and expenditure recorded to the end of September 2020 (detailed in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report) be noted.

 

37.

Barrow Highways Advisory Sub-Group pdf icon PDF 127 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report gives recommendations for approval by Barrow Local Committee from the Highways Advisory Sub-Group meeting held on 13 October 2020.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which gave details of the discussion and recommendations of the Highways Advisory Sub-Group for the Barrow area which met on 13 October 2020.

 

(1)       Minutes

 

The local Member for Walney North asked for an update on the entrance to Hollywood Retail Park and it was explained that study work was being undertaken and details would be made available to members on completion.

 

RESOLVED,    that the minutes of the meeting held on 13 October 2020 be noted.

 

(2)       Review of Traffic Regulations 2020/21 – Variation Order No 42 Proposals

 

RESOLVED,    to agree to proceed to statutory consultation and advertisement of a variation to The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Barrow-in-Furness) (Consolidation and Minor Amendment of Traffic Regulations) Order 2001, (“Variation Order No. 42”) in respect of the restrictions (set out in Appendix 1 of the report to the HASG), having taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (referred to in paragraph 7.2 of the report to HASG).

 

(3)       Barrow Local Committee Provisional Devolved Highways Capital Programme for 20221/22

 

RESOLVED,    the Provisional Devolved Highways Capital Programme for 2021/22 (detailed in Appendices 1 and 2 of the report to HASG), subject to final determination following the approval of the 2021/22 Council budget early in 2021 be approved.

 

38.

Barrow Area Planning Report pdf icon PDF 131 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update on its work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.  It also includes a financial statement in support of the work of the Local Committee for Members’ information.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which detailed information from across the Community teams including community development, waste prevention, and libraries, and provided an update on work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.

 

The Committee received an update on the COVID response and noted that although the welfare hubs in each of the district areas had been paused, given the ongoing developments and the move to national lockdown and noted that the emergency helpline number was now being actively promoted.  Whilst the hub locally had not been stepped up at this stage, the Team had been briefed and were prepared to provide extra support and capacity if needed.

 

Members were informed that following an Informal Local Committee meeting where issues facing many in the community regarding financial wellbeing had been discussed and how the gaps in support could be addressed, the Area Manager had raised the proposal regarding an initial summit to look at this with the Resilience Group as part of its focus on financial wellbeing, and this suggestion had been strongly supported.  It was also explained that this would link into the work the Borough Council was planning to undertake in relation to a Poverty Truth Commission.  It was, therefore, proposed that a summit was held before Christmas.

 

The local Member for Dalton North drew members attention to the expiry of the Library Contract with Dalton Community Association in August 2021 and asked for reassurance that this would be renewed in a timely manner to enable the local asset to remain in Dalton.  The Area Manager confirmed that initial discussions had taken place and work was being undertaken to review this matter.

 

Members were informed that the project to review the location of children’s centre activities in Dalton had been temporarily paused due to COVID 19, however, the Working Group was now being re?established to take this forward.  The local Member for Dalton North suggested that Mrs A Burns be included in the membership of that Working Group and this was welcomed by the Member.

 

A discussion took place regarding the Local Committee budget and the local Member for Dalton North asked if the remaining balance of £3,280 had been earmarked.  The Area Manager confirmed that at this stage this had not been allocated and explained any identified COVID response work would be considered. 

 

The Committee was informed that the established Borderlands Town Team to look at next steps in terms of development and taking this forward would be meeting soon with a date in early December being confirmed.

 

Mrs A Burns gave a positive update on the Children’s Partnership meeting where the members had worked together to look at priorities.  It was explained that concerns had been raised regarding the widening of the gap in early years for children from disadvantaged areas, therefore, there was a focus on this to try to ensure it did not get any worse.  Members were informed that there  ...  view the full minutes text for item 38.

39.

Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Meeting pdf icon PDF 89 KB

To receive the notes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Meeting held on 14 September 2020 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

The local Member for Dalton North drew attention to the plans which were being drawn up with Area Managers, to look at alternative ways of delivering library books to those who were unable to access local libraries going forward and asked if he could be updated on any plans to re?open Askam and Dalton libraries.  It was agreed the Area Manager would report back direct on this matter.

 

Members noted that the Chair of Barrow Local Committee raised concerns about the health and wellbeing of the homeless, who, during the pandemic, had been living in hotels and were now being evicted.  It was explained that the Government had now set the eviction date as March 2021 and members highlighted the need to ensure preparations were in place for this.

 

The Committee noted that the Chair of Barrow Local Committee had raised concerns about obesity in children and young people.  The local Member for Dalton North gave a positive update on the engagement which had taken place between himself, his constituents and Active Cumbria since the last meeting of the Local Committee and asked for information regarding comparative figures.  The Area Manager agreed to re?circulate the information to all members.

 

RESOLVED,   that the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 14 September 2020 be noted.

 

40.

Reports from Members Serving on Outside Bodies

To enable local members to give verbal reports on and share information in respect of outside bodies to which they have been appointed.

 

Minutes:

There were no updates on this occasion.

 

41.

Date of Next Meeting

The next scheduled meeting will take place on Monday 18 January 2021 at 10.30 am at a venue to be confirmed.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the next scheduled meeting will take place on Monday 18 January 2021 at 10.30 am at a venue to be confirmed.