Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Barrow
Monday, 18th January, 2021 10.30 am

Venue: This will be a virtual meeting, therefore, will not take place in a physical location. To view this event please click link below:

Contact: Lynn Harker  Email: lynn.harker@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

42.

Roll Call for Members and Officers

Minutes:

All of the above members and officers were present at the meeting.

 

43.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

An apology for absence was received from Mr R Worthington.

 

44.

Disclosures of Interest

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

            (a)    Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)    Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer.

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)    The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)    The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

            (a)    That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

            (b)    Either –

 

(i)            The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

                     (ii)        If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

There were no disclosures of interest made on this occasion.

 

45.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item of business.

 

46.

Public Participation

There are no public questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

47.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 105 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 18 November 2020 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

With reference to minute 34 – Cumbria Highways Asset Management Strategy (2020?2025) members were informed that a joint Task and Finish Group had been established with Barrow Borough Council and other partners to consider future maintenance of trees in the Barrow area.

 

RESOLVED,    that the minutes of the meeting held on 18 November 2020 be confirmed as a correct record.

 

48.

Devolved Highways Capital and Revenue Update 2020/21 pdf icon PDF 106 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports and updates Members as to current progress on these budget lines.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports and updated members as to current progress on those budget lines.

 

The Committee noted that the original Devolved Highways Revenue budget of £782,608 was now £849,635 and the original Devolved Highways Capital budget of £1,323,034 was now £1,179,802.

 

RESOLVED,     that the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2020/21 and the commitments and expenditure recorded to the end of November 2020 (as detailed in appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report) be noted.

 

49.

Barrow Highways Advisory Sub-Group pdf icon PDF 114 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report gives recommendations for approval by Barrow Local Committee from the Highways Advisory Sub-Group meeting held on 11 December 2020.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which gave details of the discussion and recommendations of the Highways Advisory Sub-Group for the Barrow area which met on 11 December 2020.

 

The local Member for Hindpool drew the Committee’s attention to a concern regarding flooding on the highway at the bottom of Cows Tarn Lane since the development of the new housing estate; emphasising the dangers this caused during freezing conditions and asked that this be investigated as a matter of urgency. 

 

The local Member for Walney North asked who was responsible for the matter and it was confirmed this was shared between the Developer and County Council, explaining that as the problem crossed onto the highway it became the Authority’s responsibility.  During the course of discussion the local Member informed the Committee that prior to approval of the planning application concerns regarding flooding in the area had been highlighted in a public meeting.

 

The Local Highways Network Manager agreed to raise this matter as soon as possible with colleagues and report back to members.

 

The local Member for Dalton North drew attention to the discussion which had taken place regarding parking issues on the corner of Fell Croft and Chapel Street, Dalton and sought reassurance that this matter would be investigated and confirmation of a timescale.  The Local Area Network Manager confirmed this work would not be undertaken during the current financial year and explained that next year’s Works Programme was currently being investigated and he would provide an update to the local Member in due course.

 

The local Member for Hindpool drew attention to the traffic calming measures which were in place on Holker Street and raised her concerns regarding problems incurred due to the increasing number of large heavy vehicles which used this route and asked if this could be investigated.  The Local Highways Network Manager acknowledged the changes which had occurred since the implementation of the traffic calming measures and agreed this should be looked into.

 

During the course of discussion attention was drawn to potential site visits to back streets in member divisions and it was agreed that, due to the current pandemic restrictions, this would be postponed.

 

The Chair of the Local Committee drew attention to the concerns which had been raised regarding the number of abandoned boats and trailers on Rampside and the Promenade.  He informed members that Barrow Borough Council was introducing a revised Waste Policy which would include the removal of such abandoned vehicles together with caravans and trailers parked on residential streets. 

 

The local Member for Roosecote informed the Committee that the Commissioner for Wrecks Regulations did not include the removal of small boats but he would continue to investigate this matter further.

 

The local Member for Walney North highlighted the concerns he had raised regarding the lack of enforcement of 20mph limits by the Police and asked if a response had been received from the Chief Constable.  The Chair of the Sub?Group confirmed  ...  view the full minutes text for item 49.

50.

Barrow Area Planning Report pdf icon PDF 534 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update on its work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.  It also includes a financial statement in support of the work of the Local Committee for Members’ information.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which detailed information from across the Community teams including Community Development, Archives and Libraries, and provided a detailed update on work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee as follows:-

 

Ø   Covid Response

Ø   Financial Wellbeing Summit

Ø   Christmas Support

Ø   Barrow Town Deal

Ø   Borderlands

Ø   Area Working and Community Services Update

Ø   Sport and Physical Activity

Ø   Barrow Libraries and Archives

Ø   Children’s Trust Board - Barrow Children & Families Partnership

Ø   Local Committee Budget

 

The Committee welcomed the successful collaborative bid of just over £83,000 which had been awarded in December and noted the benefits of the funding.

 

Members were informed that a positive initial meeting of the Borderlands Dalton Town Team had taken place and the Committee would be updated on future progress.

 

The Committee was informed that due the pandemic and current lockdown measures the Library was providing a click and collect service and essential PC access.

 

The Chair of the Children and Families Partnership thanked officers and partners for their inspirational work which had been undertaken.  She informed members that young care leavers and foster carers had been overwhelmed during the Christmas period by the generosity and support of officers and partners.

 

The Chair of the Partnership went on to inform members of a significant number of organisations which had taken part in a recent meeting and provided positive feedback on work which was being undertaken.  It was explained it was now the intention of the Partnership to investigate any gaps in the system in order to provide a wraparound service to ensure support was available to children and families to allow them to stay together as one unit wherever possible.

 

The local Member for Old Barrow gave a positive update regarding Signal Films.  She informed the Committee of three films which had been made by young people through the Catchfish Club explaining they had won a prize for the best student film at the White Unicorn International Film Festival.  During the course of discussion she emphasised the importance of individuals being afforded the opportunity to be creative and technical particularly during the current pandemic.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, thanked all officers for the work they had carried out during the current pandemic.  He also relayed his thanks to Marcus Rashford for his involvement with the provision of free schools meals.

 

RESOLVED,     that the report be noted.

 

51.

Health and Wellbeing Update pdf icon PDF 126 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To receive a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report updates Local Committee on the work of the Public Health Locality Manager (PHLM) to improve health and wellbeing outcomes in Barrow.

 

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which updated the Local Committee on the work of the Public Health Locality Manager to improve health and wellbeing outcomes in Barrow.

 

The report included an update on COVID 19, Barrow Health and Wellbeing Partnership and the Morecambe Bay Population Health Investment Fund 2020?2021.

 

The Public Health Locality Manager updated members on the current position regarding the pandemic.  The Committee was informed that since the start of the current lockdown COVID cases in Barrow had plateaued slightly; there had been 407 cases in the previous seven days but was moving at a slower rate.  It was explained that currently 13% of all COVID tests were positive compared to 17% previously, noting that 86% of all positive tests were the new variants.

 

Members were updated on the vaccination and informed that currently the only vaccine being offered was the Pfizer vaccine highlighting there was no evidence to suggest new variants were resistant to it.  The Public Health Locality Manager explained that Barrow had started the vaccination process on 14 December 2020 at a single site on the ground floor of the Alfred Barrow Health Centre with the whole of the Centre being used on a weekend for vaccinations; there were approximately 1,000 people visiting on a Saturday and Sunday. 

 

The Committee was informed that the vaccination of residents over 80 and vulnerable people was almost complete and it was anticipated the vaccination of over 70s would begin by the end of the week.  It was explained that 85% of home care residents and frontline staff had now received the vaccine. 

 

Members were informed that the Oxford vaccine was becoming more prevalent as time moved on as it was easier to access and store.  The Committee was informed that lockdown was effective at the moment and members would be kept updated of the very quick moving situation.

 

The local Member for Dalton North welcomed the update and thanked the Public Health Locality Manager for the information he had received in relation to the roll out process for the vaccination of residents in his Division.  Members noted that vaccinations for constituents in the Dalton North and South divisions would take place in the Ulverston Health Centre and the local Member raised concerns regarding transport to the Centre for vulnerable residents.  The Public Health Locality Manager confirmed that the Ulverston Isolation Group had arranged a transport system with the Community Transport Team to ensure all people were able to visit the Centre free of charge.

 

The local Member for Walney South highlighted a concern from a resident who worked in a local nursery and who had not been afforded the opportunity to remain at home during the current lockdown.  The Public Health Locality Manager confirmed this was a Government directive and not a local authority decision.

 

The Committee was informed that Barrow Health and Wellbeing Partnership had been revitalised and going forward would be accountable to Morecambe Bay Population  ...  view the full minutes text for item 51.

52.

Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Meeting pdf icon PDF 79 KB

To receive the notes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Meeting held on 1 December 2020 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

The Committee received the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 1 December 2020.

 

RESOLVED,     that the minutes be noted.

 

53.

Reports from Members Serving on Outside Bodies

To enable local members to give verbal reports on and share information in respect of outside bodies to which they have been appointed.

 

Minutes:

(1)       Ms H Wall in her capacity as Chair of the Islands and Bays of Barrow Coastal Communities Team raised the concerns of the Warden at South Walney Nature Reserve regarding heavy vehicles and off?road motorbikes illegally driving down the shingle beaches and the damaging effects this was having on the wildlife and vegetation.  The Warden had asked if a gate could installed on the slipway to avoid access to the beach. 

 

            A detailed discussion took place regarding this matter and members acknowledged the concerns which had been raised.  It was suggested that initially warning signs could be displayed to try and deter the use of the beach.

 

            During the course of discussion it was suggested that engagement take place with those people illegally using the beach with a view to investigating the possibility of providing a designated area for the use of off?road motorbikes.

 

            It was agreed that the Local Area Highways Manager would investigate this matter further and find out the legal position regarding the wording on potential signs.

 

(2)       Mr B Shirley updated the Committee in his capacity as the Active Cumbria representative.  He informed members that he was actively working with officers from the Community Team to help Dalton Leisure Centre access funding to allow it to be sustainable for the future.  It was explained the Centre had been deemed not eligible by Barrow Borough Council for any COVID Business Interruption Grants which had further compounded their challenges during the current pandemic.  Members noted that work was being undertaken with Friends of Dalton Leisure Centre and local councillors to try and raise a substantial amount of money for various different projects which included the long?term sustainability of the Centre.

 

54.

Date of Next Meeting

The next scheduled meeting will take place virtually on Wednesday 10 March 2021 at 10.30 am.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the next scheduled meeting will take place virtually on Wednesday 10 March 2021 at 10.30 am.