Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for South Lakeland
Thursday, 28th November, 2019 10.00 am

Venue: Council Chamber, County Offices, Kendal

Contact: Nicola Harrison  Email: nicola.harrison@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

43.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr G Archibald, Mr J Airey, Mr R Bingham, Mr J Bland and Mrs S Sanderson.

44.

Public Participation

At the time of Agenda publication there is a Petition being presented by residents of Kiln Croft and Skelsmergh Hall for a pedestrian link alongside A6 Shap Road, Skelsmergh.

 

Minutes:

1          Request for a pedestrian link alongside the A6, Shap Road, Skelsmergh

 

Mr Graham White handed over a petition with 31 signatures on it, on behalf of the local community. A footpath was requested and this was supported by the Parish Council.

 

Mr John Chapman – Chairman of Skelsmergh and Scalthwaiterigg Parish Council (in supporting the petition) made the following points in his statement:

 

·         The parish of Skelsmergh and Scalthwaiterigg straddles the A6 to the north of Kendal from the town boundary to the Selside boundary approximately 3 miles north.

·         The current year’s precept was £4661 of which a substantial part is committed to staff costs and standing expenditure. The statutory maximum permitted amount for Section 137 discretionary spending is £3,101.84.

·         Efforts by the parish council to establish a surfaced path date back to the consultation by SLDC on the application to convert redundant agricultural buildings in 2000. The parish council’s recommendation was disregarded at the planning stage.

·         County Councillors Thornton and Collins had provided financial support when the parish council tried to revive the establishment of a surfaced path, the total cost of which was over £60,000.

·         The establishment of a surfaced path was the solution to which the parish council and the residents remain committed and they will continue to argue for

·         In the interim, a measure the residents would be prepared to accept was a mown strip but this, too, has been denied by highway managers, allegedly to comply with conservation measures.

·         Research has identified that a relatively cheap and easy solution could be found by the use of free-draining Terram ‘Grass Protecta’ matting, the sort of product which is used extensively for surfacing car parks at venues and events. This is held in place by ground staples and permits grass to grow through.

·         We have no estimate for labour as yet but if it were to equal the cost for materials the whole project could be realised for less than £10,000.  The main issue is the need to have the approval of highway engineers.

·         We believe that the works would have no measurable effect on the adjacent highway and we also submit that it should be paid for as a minor highway improvement.

·         We think that there is a good case so residents of Kiln Croft can have access to local shops on foot. We ask officers to consider the proposal and ascertain its feasibility and ask that the County Council funds the footpath.

 

The Chair thanked Mr Chapman

 

Mr White then made a statement covering the following points:

 

·         On the face of it, the petition appeared simple – a request to have a verge cut along a stretch of the A6

·         The petition was the latest act in exasperation after nearly 20 years of campaigning for a footpath alongside the stretch of road

·          He had documentation in support of the campaign starting with a please to Skelsmergh Parish Council dated September 2000 which included letters of support from current and previous MPs

·         It was a  ...  view the full minutes text for item 44.

45.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items on the agenda.

Minutes:

RESOLVED that, the press and public not be excluded from the meeting for any items of business.

46.

Disclosures of Interest

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be           executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                                     interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the          area of the authority; and

 

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one        hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

During the public participation item relating to the recreational ‘off road’ use of county roads, Mr Hogg advised that he was currently a member of the Lake District National Park Authority and at this meeting, he would only be listening to the information presented by the member of the public.

47.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 145 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 30 September 2019

Minutes:

Correction: Page 9, Minute 29, Public Participation, 1st paragraph, last line, remove the word ‘which’.

 

RESOLVED  that, subject to the correction above, the minutes of the meeting held on 30 September 2019 be confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

 

48.

PRESENTATION: bicycle mayor for Cumbria

To receive a presentation from the Bicycle Mayor for Cumbria, Mr Richard Ingham

Minutes:

Mr Richard Ingham, the Elected Bicycle Mayor for Cumbria, gave a presentation on ‘Bicycle Mayor of Cumbria – an ambition to change the way people of Cumbria travel’. Mr Ingham outlined the history behind his appointment as Cumbria’s Elected Bicycle Mayor and talked about the importance of health and wellbeing, how the Elected Bicycle Mayor was a global initiative, the promotion of cycling as a mode of transport to be a catalyst for change, his support from all six MPs in Cumbria for the scheme, the election process and his remit. He reported on how he made his journey from Carlisle to Kendal to get to the meeting.

 

The presentation covered the following:

 

·         Healthy Transport = Healthy Lives

·         Emissions data for Oxford

·         How to get the most from Kendal X cycle infrastructure

·         Kendal X Cycle Plan

·         Moving the Nation – a joint report

·         Getting the best from Shap Road Cycleway

·         Actions needed to achieve best value

 

Members welcomed the presentation and made a number of comments on cycling in general and provided specific examples of their experiences with cyclists in their divisions. Members commented on their support for sustainable public transport and the Healthy Ways to School initiative.

 

One member commented on a local issue where cyclists belonging to a social media page aimed to attain the fastest speed through a local village and wore dark clothes so they were therefore difficult to see. He commented on their use of bad language and asked Mr Ingham, as their representative, to encourage cyclists to have more considerate behaviour. Another member commented on similar cyclist behaviour but acknowledged it was not all cyclists. He referred to locked bicycle storage facilities at a car park in Kendal.

 

Another member commented on the lack of provision for bicycles on and the difficulty of booking space on trains. He asked Mr Ingham to lobby train companies to improve this situation. Mr Ingham stated that he would be addressing this and reported that in other countries, park and ride schemes were successful with bicycles available at train destinations.

 

A member expressed her opposition to the Shap Road Cycleway, detailing her objections. She commented on the inadequate width of the cycleway, it wasn’t designed to a high standard and part of the route was very dangerous which could leave the County Council open to claims if someone was hurt. She did however, support safe routes.

 

In reporting on injuries sustained by a resident following a collision with a cyclist in his division a member asked Mr Ingham to ensure a full programme of education was available and that he lobbied for cycle ways which were fit for purpose.

 

One member considered that setting clear priorities was essential for the future to ensure people were more active and improved their mental health. The member emphasised the need for all schools to have a robust Travel Plan.

 

In response to members’ points, Mr Ingham commented that bad behaviour was a snapshot of small numbers of cyclists and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 48.

49.

AREA PLANNING - SOUTH LAKELAND pdf icon PDF 196 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services

 

This report provides information and offers recommendations to the Local Committee for approval from meetings of the Strategic Planning Working Group and the Children and Young Peoples Working Group. It also updates the Local Committee on previously agreed activity supported with the latest financial statement.

 

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services regarding Area Planning in South Lakeland. The report provided service information and offered recommendations to South Lakeland Local Committee for approval from the Strategic Planning Working Group meeting held on 28 October 2019 and the Children and Young People’s Working Group meeting held on 16 October 2019. The report also provided Local Committee with an update on activity against agreed priorities and provided an overview of the current budget position.

The Area Manager guided members through the activity undertaken since the last meeting of the Committee and drew members’ attention to Ulverston’s nomination to the Borderlands Board for inclusion in the Place Programme. The Local Member for Ulverston East welcomed the nomination and reported on initiatives in the area such as Healthy Town initiative and on the strong network of interest groups which would work towards the success of the Place Programme. The nomination was supported by the Committee and a suggestion was made that the Local Committee hold a meeting in Ulverston.

Discussion turned to the work of the Children and Young People’s Working Group. The Area Manager commented on the effectiveness of the work of the Group and advised that the Working Group would continue to support the Local Committee’s agreed priorities but that not all of the additional funding may be spent. Mrs Evans thanked the Committee for the £10,000 to be vired into the 0-19 budget for investment in the priorities for young people. She invited members to the meeting of the Children and Young People’s Working Group in January where young people would be attending.

In discussing the draft Minutes of the Windermere Ferry Advisory Group, it was moved and seconded that the wording in the report before the Local Committee (at 4.13(ii)) be amended to remove ‘reduction’ and replace it with ‘review of’. This was agreed by assent of the Committee. A member commented on the recent changes to charges and advised that the County Council had not been adversely affected by the changes.

In relation to Working Together, the Area Manager reported on the lack of resources issue raised by members at the 30 September 2019 meeting. As agreed, she had informed the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure of members’ concerns and additional resources had been put in place to enable the service to be effectively rolled out.

A member commented on the library review and emphasised their essential role as a central hub in the community. He asked for a full list of libraries. The library report would be circulated to the Committee by the Area Manager.

A short discussion took place on the importance of Parish Meeting members being invited to the South Lakeland Association of Local Councils meetings as well as Parish Councils. It was confirmed at the meeting that they were able to be a member of CALC if they wished.

RESOLVED that,

1.1         Members note the budget update for 2019-20 including the commitments  ...  view the full minutes text for item 49.

50.

2019/20 Highways Devolved Revenue and Capital Budget Update Report pdf icon PDF 106 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

This report provides details of the Local Committee’s Highways Revenue and Capital and Non-Devolved Capital Budgets.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

An update report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the 2019/20 Highways Devolved Revenue and Capital Budgets. The report presented the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital Budget finance reports and updated members as to current progress on the budget lines as detailed in the appendices attached to the report.

The Highways Network Manager explained that the figures in the report were to the end of September 2019 and therefore were slightly out of date. He asked members to contact him directly with local queries.

For the January 2020 meeting, he advised that the 2019/20 Highways Devolved Revenue and Capital Budget Update Report would be despatched after the Agenda was published to ensure the most up to date figures were included.

RESOLVED that, Local Committee notes the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2019/20 and the commitments and expenditure recorded to the end of September 2019 and shown in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report.

51.

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORTATION WORKING GROUP MEETING 16TH OCTOBER 2019 pdf icon PDF 123 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

This report presents the minutes of the meeting of the Highways and Transportation Working Group held on 16 October 2019 brings forward recommendations for consideration by the Local Committee.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding South Lakeland Local Committee’s Highways and Transportation Working Group meeting on 16 October 2019. The report provided the Minutes of the meeting of the Highways and Transportation Working Group (the Working Group) held on 16 October 2019 and asked Local Committee to note the Minutes.

 

The Chair of the Highways and Transportation Working Group guided members through the business conducted at the meeting held on 16 October 2019. He talked about the presentation from the County Bridges Manager which had been most informative as it had outlined the comprehensive work undertaken by the team and highlighted the team’s commitment to bridge work in the county. The Chair considered that jet patching work would be beneficial on rural roads.

 

Mr Clark thanked Rob Huck and the Highways Team for the work undertaken on the overnight closure of Waterhead as all of the work had been completed on time.

 

RESOLVED that, Local Committee notes the Minutes of the Working Group meeting of 16th October 2019 which are attached as Appendix 1 to the report.

52.

HIGHWAYS ASSET MANAGEMENT STRATEGY pdf icon PDF 108 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

This report presents the Highways Asset Management Strategy.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a presentation from the Senior Manager - Asset Infrastructure and Transport which covered the following:

 

·         The 2015 Highways Asset Management Strategy

·         Highways Asset Management Strategy 2020-2025

·         Highways’ vision

·         Highways Delivery Plan

·         Highways Service customers

·         Working together

·         Enterprise and efficiency

·         Prevention and Early Intervention

·         Digital Transformation

·         Proposed timetable for the new Strategy

 

In concluding the presentation, the Senior Manager - Asset Infrastructure and Transport asked members for any feedback on the Delivery Plan, either directly or through Mr Collins, the Committee’s representative on the Highways Improvement Board.

 

Members welcomed the improved focus on customers. Members talked about the importance of them being informed in good time about work that had been undertaken and future planned work in their own and adjoining electoral divisions. It was essential that they were fully informed about highways work in order for them to be able to pass on information to Parish Councils and residents.

 

It was queried whether a system could be developed that could inform members about works in all divisions. A member thought this kind of system would also benefit officers. Members considered themselves to be key to customer service delivery as use could be made of their local knowledge and they could disseminate information in their divisions.

 

Discussion took place on members being treated as special customers in the Strategy. TheCabinet Member for Customers, Transformation and Fire and Rescue considered that members were customers like the public and therefore should be treated similarly. The Senior Manager - Asset Infrastructure and Transport acknowledged that members should be included in the Strategy and be integral to Highways processes.

 

It was acknowledged by members that customer service had improved in 2019 as email feedback and automated responses to customers had improved.

 

A short discussion took place on including the Cumbria Local Enterprise Partnership in the Strategy. A query was raised on whether progress had been made with the Utility Permit scheme and how customers would benefit from the scheme. The Senior Manager - Asset Infrastructure and Transport explained that the scheme was  scheduled to be implemented in February 2020, would cover all works on the highway and give permits to dig. It was confirmed that permitting information could be shared with the public and that penalties would be in place in order to hold organisations to account for work not completed on time.

 

After a member talked about the commercialisation of local authority services and asked about training for highways staff due to their changing roles, the Senior Manager - Asset Infrastructure and Transport reported on the work undertaken with other local authorities in order to share best practice. The County Council  also worked with ADEPT who undertook research and collated examples of other authorities’ work. He reported that the County Council was at the forefront of some work practices such as undertaking digital surveys. He confirmed that the County Council was assessing training need and undertaking staff training. A member suggested training  for members also.

 

The ability to be able to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 52.

53.

Partner Organisations

53a

Outside Bodies

To receive feedback from members on the outside bodies that they serve, and from the Local Member Champions.

Minutes:

Mr Wilson talked about the Veterans and Armed Forces Covenant work. He considered that it would be useful to work with organisations to see if special events such as the hosting of breakfasts (which were successful in other areas of the country) could take place.

 

As the Committee’s Autism Champion, Mr Wilson was pleased to report on the excellent work going on around the county which was helping families with education and the diagnosis of autism.

53b

Children's Champion

Update by the Children’s Champion.

Minutes:

Mrs Evans reported on a current Christmas collection for Care Leavers. Members were asked to leave their donations in the Area Team office with the Area Manager and Community Development Team.

54.

Date of Next meeting

The next meeting will be held on 29 January 2020 at 10.00am at County Offices, Kendal.

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Committee would be held on 29 January 2020 at 10.00am at County Offices, Kendal.