Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland
Monday, 2nd September, 2019 10.15 am

Venue: Westlakes Science Park, Ingwell Hall, Moor Row

Contact: Lorraine Davis  Email: lorraine.davis@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

28.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Ms E Williamson and Mr M Starkie.

 

29.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

Mr G Roberts declared a non pecuniary interest under the members code of conduct in Agenda Item No 9 – Working Together and Agenda No 10 – Copeland Speed Limit Review as he is a member of Whitehaven Town Council.

 

30.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item of business on the agenda.

 

31.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There are no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements to be considered at the meeting.

 

32.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 88 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 2 July 2019 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 2 July 2019 be agreed.

 

33.

COPELAND UPDATE

To receive a report from the co-opted District Council member of the Committee (copy to follow).

 

Minutes:

This item was deferred to the next meeting.

 

34.

2019/20 Local Committee Devolved Budget pdf icon PDF 104 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Devolved Budget Finance figures including an update on the Highways Revenue and Capital Programme.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Local Committee considered a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented the Highways Devolved Budget Finance figures combined with an update on the Highways Revenue and Capital Programme.  The appendices contained projected and expenditure detail including progress to date as of the end of July 2019.  It was noted that the revenue budget was forecasting a balanced budget at this stage and the devolved capital budget was forecasting an overspend of £13,000.

 

The local member for Egremont North and St Bees highlighted safety concerns raised by parents about the lack of a pavement in Outrigg at St Bees.  This street was used as a walking route to the local primary school.  The Parish Council were offering to part fund a safety scheme.

 

A lengthy discussion took place around verge, weed and gully maintenance. It was recognised that discussions needed to take place with Copeland Borough Council to better plan and coordinate road maintenance.  The Area Manager had regular meetings with Copeland Borough Council representatives and agreed to raise this matter at that forum.

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  the devolved revenue and capital budget allocations for 2019/20 and the commitments and expenditure recorded in Appendices 1 and 2 be agreed and kept under review;

 

(2)  the Highways Revenue budget currently forecasting a balanced budget taking into account last year’s overspend be noted;

 

(3)  the Devolved Highways Capital Budget currently forecasting an overspend of £13,000 be noted;

 

(4)  a report on verge, weeding and gully maintenance be placed on the Copeland Highways Working Group agenda.

 

 

35.

Proposed Amendments to Copeland Remainder Traffic Regulation Order pdf icon PDF 129 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report is to provide members with the background and details of proposed changes to the County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Copeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) Order 2018, following informal consultation.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which provided the background and details of the proposed changes to The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Copeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) Order 2018, following informal consultation.  Fifteen proposals had been informally consulted upon and a total of 25 representations had been received, a summary of which together with officer comments, was attached at Appendix 18 of the report. 

 

Members discussed and welcomed the proposals.  The officers confirmed that the proposals around the Sellafield site were treated and assessed in  the same way as other proposed alterations.  Officers further explained that a private works agreement was in place with Sellafield.

 

The local member for Cleator Moor West asked for the inclusion, in the statutory consultation and subsequent advertisement, of a yellow line to replace a white line on Birks Road, Cleator Moor. 

 

RESOLVED,

 

(1)  to proceed to statutory consultation and advertisement of the proposals summarised in paragraph 4.18 and shown on the plans which are attached as Appendices 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15 and 17 inclusive by way of a consolidation and variation of The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Borough of Copeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) Order 2018 (“the Order”);

 

(2)  subject to there being no unresolved objections received at the end of the statutory consultation and advertisement of the proposals referred to in paragraph 3.1 above, that the Order be brought into operation, as advertised having taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which are more specifically referred to at paragraph 7.2 of the report be agreed;

 

(3)  officers, if possible, include the replacement of the white line with a yellow line on Birks Road, Cleator Moor in the statutory consultation and advertisement.

 

36.

Working Together pdf icon PDF 108 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report is to provide Members with an understanding of the next proposed steps for the Working Together Service.

 

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure outlining the next proposed steps for the Working Together Service.  The report highlighted the development of a number of draft trial agreements with a number of third parties to establish the suitability of the agreement document and support in determining the resources required to roll out the service county wide.  Two examples of the proposed agreements were made available at the meeting for members’ perusal. 

 

The Highways Network Officer informed members that the Working Together Service had been developed to formalise and streamline existing lengthsman agreements and volunteer activities to ensure safety and structure, not to stop these activities.   Members were assured that that the County Council would be responsible for carrying out the risk assessments, ongoing support and input had been sought from CALC and officers would attend Town and Parish Councils to engage and develop agreements.

 

The CALC representative agreed to report back on the development of the service.  The Chair suggested an example agreement be circulated to Parish Councils to help raise awareness and to be informed of the liabilities they would be open to if they didn’t engage.

 

RESOLVED, that the report be noted.

 

37.

Copeland Speed Limit Review pdf icon PDF 130 KB

To consider a report by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report is to provide Members with the background and details of proposed alterations to speed restrictions in the Copeland area, following statutory consultation and advertisement.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report, the purpose of which was to provide Members with the background and details of proposed alterations to speed restrictions in the Copeland area, following statutory consultation and advertisement. A copy of the Notice, which summarised the proposed restrictions in the Order, was attached as Appendix 1 to the report. The report enabled Members to make a balanced decision takinginto account letters of representation received during the statutory consultation period.  Six proposals were progressed to statutory consultation and advertisement and a brief summary of the proposals and feedback was listed in the report.

 

A lengthy discussion took place regarding proposal 2, to relocate the existing 30mph speed limit extents at Harras Moor.  It was agreed not to proceed with this proposal as there were serious concerns about speeding on that road. 

 

A request was made by the CALC representative for officers to action work on a large hedgerow in Holmrook that seriously obscured motorists view while exiting from a road junction.  Officers agreed to look into this.

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  having taken into consideration the matters contained in section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which are more specifically referred to at paragraph 7.2 of the report, “The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the Borough of Copeland) ( Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) Order  20><” (“the Order”) proposals 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 be brought into operation, as advertised, be agreed and proposal 2 be kept under review but not implemented at this time;

 

(2)  officers investigate the request made by the CALC representative.

 

38.

AREA PLANNING REPORT pdf icon PDF 329 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides Copeland Local Committee with an update on work and activity undertaken to promote and progress Area Planning since its last meeting. It is also to advise Local Committee on their current budget position. 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services that provided an update on work and activity undertaken to promote and progress Area Planning and advised the Local Committee on their current budget position.

 

The Area Manager informed members that the Millom Network Centre had been handed back to the County Council on 5 August 2019 with the aim to ensure that the community continue to benefit from access to and improvement of services from the facility. 

 

An update on the Whitehaven Community hub was given.  Planning permission had been granted and consultation and engagement would take place later in the year on activity and use of the facilities.

 

The Area Manager advised members on the current position of Borderlands. The Whitehaven Future High Street Fund bid was a successful Expression of Interest for the funding stream and the team were now developing the next stage of the bidding process.  The Borderlines Place Programme was being finalised with an Outline Business Case and this would contain details of each local area being submitted.  Copeland’s area would be agreed between the Local Committee and Copeland Borough Council.

 

The grants panel had met on 31 July and their recommendations were contained in the report.  In discussion, members had been pleased to support the Egremont Crab Fair by paying for the publicity costs required for a Traffic Regulation Order but were keen to ensure a resolution for future events.  It was agreed that this issue be referred to the Highways Working Group.

 

A lengthy discussion took place around the Money Advice Contract and community skills and learning.  Members were keen to develop employment opportunities and discussed using facilities, such as the Millom Network Centre, for adult education classes and training events.  It was explained that the DWP funding was split between two areas, the north of Copeland controlled by the Whitehaven office and the south of Copeland by the Barrow office. 

 

The discussion led on to Universal Credit and the breakdown of figures contained in Appendix 2 of the report.  It was agreed that representatives from the Department of Work and Pensions and Citizen’s Advice Bureau be invited to give a presentation on this issue at the next meeting of the local committee.

 

The Area Manager advised that, since the last local committee meeting, four local authority governors had been appointed in consultation with the local members.

 

Members were informed that the Archive Centre would temporarily close to allow for the extension work to incorporate the library, community learning and registrars and there would be no access during this time to original archives, facilities for depositing or enquiry services.  Some popular material and microfilms would be available at Whitehaven Library on a self-serving basis.  A consultation and engagement meeting with service users was being organised for October/November 2019.

 

Members were asked to note all the public health events and campaigns that had taken place and to note upcoming events. The local member for Mirehouse informed members of a  ...  view the full minutes text for item 38.

39.

COPELAND CHAMPIONS UPDATE

To receive updates from the following Copeland Champions:-

 

Armed Forces Champion

Autism Champion

Children’s Champion

Dementia Champion

Fire Champion

Health Champion

 

Minutes:

The following updates were given at the meeting:-

 

Health Champion

 

Mr Whiteside updated members on events relating to Health Services.  A report had been submitted to Cumbria Health Scrutiny Committee on the closure of the Acorn Unit (mental health services) at Carlisle.  More details and alternative provision was needed.

 

Autism Champion

 

Mr Hawkins informed members that the Autism Champions met on a regular basis and that Mr A Connelly had been appointed as Eden’s Champion.  The Chair agreed to raise the lack of an Allerdale Autism Champion at the next meeting of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership.

 

Mr Hawkins was progressing an autism friendly waiting times programme with the patient liaison group at the local doctor’s surgery.  A policy to support County Council employees with autism would be launched in September.  The new Allerdale/Copeland parent support office had been opened in Moor Row.

 

Dementia Champion

 

The Chair advised members on events relating to dementia and Alzheimers.  The Community Development Officer agreed to follow up from a presentation by the Alzheimers group on dementia friendly communities.

 

The Copeland group were meeting this week to agree on actions for the future.

 

The Champions were thanked for their updates.

 

40.

Local Committee Chairs and Leadership pdf icon PDF 77 KB

To receive the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 8 July 2019 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

Members received, for information, the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 8 July 2019.

 

The Chair highlighted Minute No 12 – Infrastructure Delivery Plans (IDPs) and the lack of an update to date Copeland Local Plan.  The Leader of the County Council had wrote to Copeland Borough Council for closer joint working and it was hoped that the development of an IDP would encourage this.

 

RESOLVED, that the minutes be noted.

 

41.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members serving on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee.

 

Minutes:

There were no updates from members for this meeting.

 

42.

NUCLEAR ISSUES

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues.

 

Minutes:

Mr D Southward, the Cabinet Member for Economic Development and Property updated the Committee on nuclear issues.  Mr Southward informed members that he would be attending the NuLeaf meeting at Manchester and outlined events at Sellafield.

 

It was noted that the Cumbria LEP had established a Nuclear Sub Committee.

 

The Chair thanked the Cabinet Member for the update.

 

43.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting of Copeland Local Committee will be held on 12 November at 11.15 am at Millom Network Centre, Millom.

 

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on 12 November at 11.15 am at Millom Network Centre, Millom.