Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland
Monday, 18th January, 2021 10.15 am

Venue: Via Teams

Contact: Lorraine Davis  Email: lorraine.davis@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

46.

Roll Call and APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To carry out a roll call and to receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

All of the above members and officers were present at the meeting.  An apology for absence was received from Mr M Barbour.

 

47.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

Mr A Lamb declared a personal interest in Agenda Item No 11 – Copeland Champions Update - as an employee of North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust.

 

48.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

49.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There are no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements to be considered at the meeting.

 

50.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 95 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 24 November 2020 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

With the amendment to Minute 42, sub heading Autism Champion, first sentence to read The Chair and not The Autism Champion, it was:-

 

RESOLVED,that the minutes of the meeting held on 24 November 2020 be agreed as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

51.

Cleator Moor and Millom Town Deals pdf icon PDF 130 KB

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

Members received a report and presentation from the Programme Lead - Infrastructure Planning inviting feedback on the emerging Town Investment Plans and key proposals within it.  Members were also asked to agree the provision of a letter of support for the Town Deal Submission which would be made by Copeland Borough Council as accountable body for the Town Deal.  The Town Investment Plan was currently being finalised ahead of submission to the Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) by the end of January.  The projects proposed as part of the Town Deal submission were identified at the meeting.

 

RESOLVED, that a letter of support for the Cleator Moor and Millom Town Deal submission be agreed and that delegation be given to the Major Programmes Director in consultation with the Chair of the Local Committee to provide the letter following approval of the final Town Investment Plan by the Town Deal Board. 

 

52.

2020/21 LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED BUDGET - HIGHWAYS pdf icon PDF 102 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Devolved Budget Finance figures and includes an update on the Highways Revenue and Capital Programme for Copeland.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report presenting the Highways Devolved Budget Finance figures and included an update on the Highways Revenue and Capital Programme for Copeland, details of which were contained within the appendices to the report.

 

The Local Member for Egremont North and St Bees asked for an update on the pavement proposal at Outrigg as the Parish Council was keen for this to go ahead.  The Local Area Network Manager gave a brief update at the meeting and agreed to provide further details to the Local Member outside the meeting.  The Local Area Network Manager also agreed to pick up flooding and drainage issues on the B5344 with the Local Member for Gosforth.

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  the devolved revenue and capital budget allocations for 2020/21 and the commitment and expenditure recorded in the appendices to the report be agreed and kept under review;

 

(2)  the Highways Revenue budget, currently forecasting a £10,044 overspend be noted;

 

(3)  the Highways Devolved Capital Budget, currently forecasting a £1,689 underspend be noted.

 

53.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP - 21 DECEMBER 2020 pdf icon PDF 103 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides details of the meeting of the Highways Working Group held on 21 December 2020 and presents recommendations for the Local Committee to consider.  

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report giving details of the outcome of the meeting of the Copeland Highways Working Group held on 21 December 2020 and presented recommendations made by the Working Group to the Local Committee for approval.  The Local Area Network Manager thanked the Local Committee for their support in the delivery of the capital programme and a full programme of gully cleansing.

 

The Traffic Management Team Leader - West Area outlined the background and details of the proposed introduction of a 33 tonnes maximum gross vehicle weight limit on Wha House Bridge, Eskdale.

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  the minutes of the meeting of the Highways Working Group, held on 21 December 2020, be noted;

 

(2)  that the following recommendation of the Working Group be endorsed:-

 

i)             that Local Committee agree to proceed to statutory consultation and advertisement of a Traffic Regulation Order which would consolidate the provisions of The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Borough of Copeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) Order 2020, and propose to introduce a 33 tonnes maximum gross vehicle weight limit on Wha House Bridge, Eskdale, as shown on the plan attached to the Working Group report attached as Appendix 2;

 

ii)             that Local Committee agree that, subject to there being no unresolved objections received at the end of the statutory consultation and advertisement of the Order referred to in paragraph i) above, that the Order be brought into operation, as advertised having taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which are more specifically referred to in paragraph 7.2 of the Working Group report, attached as Appendix 2.

 

54.

AREA MANAGER'S REPORT pdf icon PDF 158 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update of activity undertaken by the Communities Team since its last meeting.  It is also to advise Members on their current budget position.  This report makes reference to the ongoing COVID Response and recovery activities.

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Area Manager with an update of activity undertaken by the Communities Team since the last meeting of the Local Committee.  Members were also advised on their current budget position.  The report made reference to the current Covid 19 response and recovery activities.

 

The Area Manager outlined the work of the Copeland Community Resilience Group/Thriving Communities Groups over the Christmas period and informed members of the work of the Cumbria’s Strategic Recovery Coordination Group in developing a long term recovery strategy to support communities and residents through the negative impacts of the pandemic.  

 

Members noted the summary of the Local Committee budget which was appended to the report.  The Area Manager outlined further support made available from the Government through a Covid Winter Grant.  It was reported that the target of that funding was to support children, families and those most vulnerable over winter to have access to food, household energy and basic essentials. 

 

The report also covered Copeland’s Children and Young People’s Partnership and members noted that the Copeland Positive Role Model programme had been tendered and successfully awarded to Cumbria Youth Alliance. 

 

Members were asked to approve a grant of £20,000 from the 0-19 services budget to assist young people who have no or limited access to digital devices so they could engage in online learning during the lockdown period.  The Chair of the Children and Young People’s Partnership supported the proposal.  Members noted that the £20,000 would allow the purchase of 120 tablets and the funding would be matched with £20,000 from Copeland Community Fund, £1,000 from One Aim and £1,200 from Morgan Sindall.  In response to questions, members were informed that the digital devices would be data enabled.

 

Members were informed that two Community Asset Transfers, Walkmill Community Woodland and the former Mirehouse Library had been agreed by Cabinet. 

 

An update from Active Cumbria was received.  Members noted that Active Cumbria continued to work to develop a Domestic Abuse – Perpetrators Project where it was hoped that the project could be costed out and funding acquired to start in the spring.

 

The Public Health Locality Manager updated members on local public health matters including an update on the current position and additional information on the vaccination programme.  Members noted that the Copeland Health and Wellbeing Forum would meet on 8 February 2021.  A brief discussion took place on the number of calls received by the support helpline.  The Local Member for Millom thanked GPs and volunteers for the vaccination rollout  arrangements put in place in Millom.

 

An update on the libraries and archives services was given at the meeting.  Members noted the variety of services being offered through the library service.  A brief discussion took place around the take up of Borrow Box and Press Reader.

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  the current budget position, outlined in Appendix 1 to the report, be noted;

 

(2)   that £20,000 be allocated from the 0-19 services budget for the purchase of digital devices to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 54.

55.

Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Meeting pdf icon PDF 79 KB

To receive the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 1 December 2020 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 1 December 2020 be noted.

 

56.

COPELAND CHAMPIONS UPDATE

To receive updates from the following Copeland Champions:-

 

Armed Forces Champion

Autism Champion

Children’s Champion

Dementia Champion

Fire Champion

Health Champion

 

Minutes:

Autism Champion

 

The Autism Champion advised members that no face to face meetings had taken place since 2020 but hoped these would restart when restrictions allowed.  Members were advised on contacts made with organisations such as the Imagine Independence Group and the NHS Autism Assessment Service that had been established in Cumbria.  It was noted that work on the Copeland and Allerdale Autism Support Group hub had slowed down as a result of the pandemic but the Group were offering telephone consultations for families at crisis point. 

 

Health Champion

 

The Health Champion highlighted the enormous pressures that the two Cumbrian hospitals were under and advised on the number of patients admitted to these with Covid. 

 

The Health Champion also advised on the relatively smooth rollout of the vaccination programme and thanked NHS colleagues for the fantastic work being undertaken.

 

Children’s Champion

 

The Children’s Champion briefed members on the fantastic partnership working that had taken place over the festive period to support vulnerable families and thanked all involved.  Members were advised that Family Action had stayed open throughout the period to offer support.

 

Dementia Champion

 

The Dementia Champion advised members that the Dementia bus would not be coming to Cumbria in 2021 but would hopefully visit the county in 2022. 

 

The Champions were thanked for their updates.

 

57.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members serving on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee.

 

Minutes:

There were no verbal updates given at the meeting.

 

58.

NUCLEAR ISSUES pdf icon PDF 91 KB

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues.

 

Further to Minute 44 of the Copeland Local Committee held on 24 November 2020, a copy of the Chair’s letter to RWM and response received are attached for members’ information.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mr D Southward, the Cabinet Member for Economic Development and Property updated the Committee on nuclear issues.  The update focussed on the likelihood that the Government would site the next EPWR at Sizewell C (although there was no clarification on the financing model for this), the backing of the Government for the Rolls Royce initiative on the production of 16 Small Modular Reactors, the interest of the Cumbria LEP’s Clean Energy Panel to site 4 of these at the Moorside site in Copeland and nuclear fusion. 

 

A discussion took place around the invitation to the Leader and Chief Executive for a County Council representative to be appointed to the Radioactive Waste Management’s (RWM) Working Group, established to look at the potential for a Geological Disposal Facility (GDF) Partnership.  As agreed at the last meeting, the Chair had contacted RWM directly expressing the Committee’s interest for a representative on the Working Group and a copy of the Chair’s letter and RWM’s response were included in the Committee’s papers. 

 

Local Committee members expressed concern about the lack of County Council representation on the Working Group and proposed that this issue be referred to Cabinet for consideration.  It was agreed that the referral would ask Cabinet to consider representation on the Working Group or to delegate this decision to the Local Committee.

 

Members also expressed interest in the offer made by RWM to flag their interest to the Independent Chair and other members of the Working Group to engage directly with the Local Committee.

 

RESOLVED, that

 

(1)  a referral to Cabinet be made regarding representation on the RWM Working Group;

 

(2)  a reply be sent to RWM to confirm the Committee’s interest to engage directly with the Independent Chair and other members of the RWM’s Working Group.

 

59.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting of Copeland Local Committee will be held on 2 March 2021.

 

Minutes:

It was noted that the next meeting of the Local Committee will be held on 2 March 2021 at 10.15 am.

 

The Chair concluded the meeting by thanking the Local Area Network Manager and the Traffic Management Team Leader - West Area for all their support and wished them well in their new roles.  The Chair also welcomed the new officers taking on their roles.