Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland
Tuesday, 15th May, 2018 10.15 am

Venue: Cleator Moor Civic Hall and Masonic Centre

Contact: Jackie Currie  Email: jackie.currie@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

ELECTION OF CHAIR

To elect a Chair for the forthcoming year

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     Mr K Hitchen be elected as Chair of Copeland Local Committee for the forthcoming year.

 

2.

ELECTION OF VICE CHAIR

To elect a Vice Chair for the forthcoming year

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     Mr D Wilson be elected as Vice Chair of Copeland Local Committee for the forthcoming year.

 

 

3.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr M Hawkins and Mr A Wonnacott.

 

4.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

Mr GRPM Roberts declared a non pecuniary interest under the Members’ Code of Conduct in Agenda Item No 10 – Area Manager’s Report Copeland in relation to any discussions about the libraries, as  he is a member of Whitehaven Town Council.

 

Mr D Wilson declared a non pecuniary interest under the Members’ Code of Conduct in Agenda Item No 10 – Area Manager’s Report Copeland in relation to any discussions about the libraries, as he is a member of Millom Town Council.

 

He also declared a non pecuniary interest under the Members’ Code of Conduct in Agenda Item No 10 – Area Manager’s Report Copeland in relation to any discussions about Millom Swimming Pool, as he is a governor of Millom School.

 

5.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the press and public be not excluded during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

 

6.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements made on this occasion.

 

7.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 116 KB

To receive the minutes of the previous meeting held on 27 March 2018 (copy enclosed)

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the minutes of the previous meeting held on 27 March 2018 be agreed as a true and accurate record, and signed by the Chair.

 

8.

2018/19 LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED BUDGET - HIGHWAYS pdf icon PDF 91 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed)

 

This report presents the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with an update on the Highways Programme, detail of which is contained within the attached appendices.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with an update on the Highways Programme, detail of which is contained within the attached appendices.

 

The Highway Network Manager reported that at this stage of the financial year the Devolved Highway Revenue budget and the devolved Highways Capital budget were both projecting balanced budgets.

 

The Local Member for Egremont North and St Bees was aware that to enable any traffic calming measures to be implemented at Moor Row would need developer contributions through a Section 106 Agreement.  He asked officers to ensure that a public consultation exercise was carried out once the agreement was in place.

 

Members were aware that the issues on Low Road had still not been resolved and had been ongoing for a long time.  They asked if this could be added to the agenda for a future meeting of the Copeland Highways Working Group for discussion.  This was AGREED.

 

The Local Member for Millom asked for an update on the review of Millom Traffic Regulation Order.  He would be attending a meeting of Millom Town Council tomorrow and wanted to update them on progress.  The Traffic Management Team Leader AGREED to provide an update.

 

The Local Member for Cleator Moor East and Frizington asked for an update on the Copeland Speed Limit review.  The Traffic Management Team Leader AGREED to provide an update.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

(1)       Local Committee note the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2017-18 and the commitments and expenditure recorded in Appendices 1 & 2;

(2)       Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Revenue budget, attached as Appendix 1, is currently projecting a balanced budget at this stage;

(3)       Members note the Highways Devolved Capital Budget, attached as Appendix 2, is currently projecting a balanced budget at this stage.

 

9.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP - 11 APRIL 2018 pdf icon PDF 90 KB

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed)

 

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Local Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services, which gave details of the outcome of the meeting of the Highways Working Group (HWG) held on 11 April 2018 and presented the HWG recommendations to the Local Committee for approval.

 

(1)       Minutes

 

One of the members queried whether the heading for Minute No 125 Highway Network Manager’s – Rothersyke and Haverigg was correct. The Highway Network Manager confirmed this should read ‘Rothersyke and Homewood Road’. Democratic Services to update the Highways Working Group minutes to reflect this.

 

RESOLVED that, Copeland Local Committee note the minutes of the Highways Working Group meeting held on 11 April 2018 and the recommendations contained within these.

 

(2)       Traffic Concerns – Beckermet

 

The Traffic Management Team Leader took members through the report which had been presented to the Highways Working Group, and highlighted the following:-

 

·         Although the officers’ recommendation contained within this report was not to introduce the proposed ETRO, the evidence suggested that there was a significant amount of traffic using the village of Beckermet as a through route, justifying the potential need for improvements.

·         Ultimately, the inadequacy of the A595 during peak periods was having a negative effect on local communities and the increased use of County Council’s network, in turn putting a further demand on local devolved maintenance budgets.

·         Alternative measures to be investigated included:-

 

Ø  Prohibition of Motor Vehicles (except for Access) restrictions;

Ø  Robust traffic calming measures, i.e. speed humps or cushions;

Ø  Pedestrian improvements;

Ø  Prevent access via one route;

Ø  Liaise with Sellafield to reduce commuting traffic;

Ø  Liaise with Highways England to achieve improvements to the A595

 

The Local Member for Egremont said that commuter traffic had built up over the years in this location, and it had been thought that improvements to the A595 from developer contributions associated with the Nuclear New Build Project would help to resolve this.  However, with plans for a nuclear new build being put on hold, it seemed unlikely this funding would come forward.  He felt that the experimental traffic regulation should have been implemented and then reviewed after 6 months to assess the affect of this on traffic flows.

 

All members agreed that action needed to be taken to improve the inadequacy of the A595.

  

RESOLVED that,

 

(1)       Local Committee agree NOT to proceed with the introduction of an Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (ETRO), the effect of which would be to;

 

a) Prohibit any vehicle, other than buses and pedal cycles, which is proceeding along the B5345 in southerly or south-easterly direction, from entering the C4014 Morass Road, Beckermet; and

b)Prohibit any vehicle, other than buses and pedal cycles, proceeding in a south-westerly direction along the C4013 Nursery Road, Beckermet, from continuing in that direction beyond a point 295m south-west of its junction with the A595.

 

(2)          That members agree that alternative measures to reduce the volume of traffic passing through Beckermet be investigated.

 

(3)       Strategic Highway Network Review –  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

AREA MANAGER REPORT COPELAND pdf icon PDF 145 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report brings together information from across the Community teams including Community Development, Libraries, Archives, Public Health and Waste Prevention, and provides Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of the budget position.

 

  

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mr GRPM Roberts declared a non pecuniary interest under the Members’ Code of Conduct in Agenda Item No 10 – Area Manager’s Report Copeland in relation to any discussions about the libraries, as  he is a member of Whitehaven Town Council.

 

Mr D Wilson declared a non pecuniary interest under the Members’ Code of Conduct in Agenda Item No 10 – Area Manager’s Report Copeland in relation to any discussions about the libraries, as he is a member of Millom Town Council.

 

He also declared a non pecuniary interest under the Members’ Code of Conduct in Agenda Item No 10 – Area Manager’s Report Copeland in relation to any discussions about Millom Swimming Pool, as he is a governor of Millom School.

 

Members had before them a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which brought together information from across the Community teams including Community Development, Libraries, Archives, Public Health and Waste Prevention. This report provided Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of the budget position.

 

Strategic Grants Panel

 

At an interim Grants Panel meeting held on Thursday 12 April 2018 members recommended that an allocation of £9,500 be granted to Howgill Family Centre, to part fund a Volunteer and Participation Coordinator who would help parents and carers to find employment and volunteering opportunities, also training Home Learning volunteers. This was AGREED.

 

Children and Young People’s Partnership

 

At the first meeting of the Children and Young People’s Partnership held on 20 March 2018, it was agreed that the reporting mechanism to Local Committee would be either through the Area Manager’s Report or a stand-alone report where timescales and deadlines allowed. An amended Terms of Reference was attached at Appendix 3 of the report for agreement.  This was AGREED. 

 

The second meeting of the Partnership was held on 27 April and Local Committee was asked to approve a grant of £20,000 to Cumbria Youth Alliance towards the West Coast Bounce Back Resilience Project for Copeland.  Members AGREED this.

 

Community Development Team

 

The Community Development Team was working with colleagues in the Allerdale Community Development Team to establish a West Cumbria Food Partnership to bring together work around food insecurity based on the principles of the Feeding Britain local network pilots.

 

The Team had supported an event in Carlisle to generate interest in the roll out of FareShare; 18 Community Food Members had expressed an interest which would be enough to sustain a collection point, providing more communities with access to quality surplus food. 

 

The Area Manager informed members that Maria Hewitt had been nominated for the Innovation and Improvement Team Award at the recent Excellence Awards for her work on FareShare.  The Area Manager was delighted to report that Maria won the award.  Members congratulated Maria and felt the award was well deserved.  They gave her a round of applause.

 

Library Update

 

Whitehaven Library launched its Autism Friendly Library  ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.

11.

NOMINATIONS - LA GOVERNORS OF NURSERY, PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS pdf icon PDF 43 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report seeks nominations for Governors of Nursery, Primary and Secondary Schools

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     subject to their agreement, the following go forward as nominations for LA Governors of nursery, primary and secondary schools:-

 

Bransty Primary School      Mr S Telford

                                                7 Caldbeck Rpad

                                                Whitehaven

                                                Cumbria

                                                CA28 6XQ

 

Seascale Primary School   Ms S Fawcett

                                                Little Fold

                                                Gosforth

                                                Cumbria

                                                CA20 1HW

 

Mayfield School                   Mr A Wonnacott

                                                69 Bowthorn Road

                                                Cleator Moor

                                                Cumbria                    

                                                CA25 5JT

 

12.

CHAMPION UPDATES

To receive an update from the Copeland Champions.

 

 

Minutes:

Dementia Champion

 

The Dementia Champion and one of the Community Development officers updated members on current items of interest to the Local Committee.

 

Autism Champion

 

One of the Community Development officers updated members on current items of interest to the Local Committee, on behalf of the Autism Champion.

 

Children’s Champion

 

The Children’s Champion updated members on current items of interest to the Local Committee.

 

Health Champion

 

The Health Champion updated members on current items of interest to the Local Committee.

 

 

13.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee

 

Minutes:

CRASH Update

 

Mr P Turner provided an update on the rectnly held CRASH meeting.

 

Copeland Disability Forum

 

He also provided an update on the recent Copeland Disability Forum meeting.

 

Cumbria Community Foundation

 

Mr K Hitchen updated members on the proposed changes to the Chair at Cumbria Community Foundation.    

 

14.

NUCLEAR ISSUES

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues

 

Minutes:

The Cabinet Member for Nuclear Issues gave members a brief update.

  

15.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 17 July 2018 at Cleator Moor Civic Hall at 10.15am

 

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 17 July 2018 at Cleator Moor Civic Hall at 10.15am