Agenda and minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland
Tuesday, 17th July, 2018 10.15 am

Venue: Cleator Moor Civic Hall and Masonic Centre, Jacktrees Rd, Cleator Moor CA25 5AU

Contact: Stewart Consterdine  Email: stewart.consterdine@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

16.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr GRPM Roberts, Mr C Whiteside and Mr D Wilson.

 

17.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 

18.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that the press and public be not excluded during consideration of any items on the agenda.

 

19.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements made on this occasion.

 

20.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 119 KB

To receive the minutes of the previous meeting held on 15 May 2018.

 

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that, the minutes of the previous meeting held on 15 May 2018 be agreed

  as a true and accurate record, and signed by the Chair.

 

21.

Parking Services Update report pdf icon PDF 106 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented an update on Parking Services within the Copeland area.

 

The County Council’s Parking Manager explained that the majority of off-street parking enforcement still rested with the district councils and appropriate land owners. Civil Enforcement Officers, (CEOs), enforce parking restrictions where Traffic Regulation Orders are in force. Elsewhere, where parking causes an obstruction of the highway, the police were responsible for enforcement as with moving traffic offences.

A total of 3965 Penalty Charge Notices, (PCN), were issued for on-street parking contraventions in the Copeland locality during 2017/18. In 2016/17 a total of 3453 Penalty Charge Notices were issued across the same area.

In the first 3 months of 2018/19 a total of 998 PCN’s had been issued for on-street parking contraventions in the Copeland locality.

The Parking Manager explained that in the Copeland locality the Parking Services team (the Team) consisted of 8 full-time CEO’s, who also cover the Allerdale locality.  3.5 CEOs were allocated to the Copeland locality. In addition a mainly operational Parking Team Leader covered both the Copeland and Allerdale localities and was tasked to liaise with local communities to address parking concerns and provide a first point of contact for Member queries.

The Team regularly received reports regarding inconsiderate parking outside schools which creates potential safety issues for children and other road users. CEOs have visited a number of areas across the locality to carry out enforcement and educational patrols which had been well received by schools, parents and the wider community. The Team aims to carry our regular visits to schools across the area, both proactively and reactively, and the initiative will be repeated throughout the academic year at both the start and finish of the school day. The Team also work in partnership with Orian, the school crossing service provider, to address parking issues in proximity to schools.

Members noted that the Council's Parking Services Annual Report 2016/17 had been shortlisted by the Parking and Traffic Regulations Outside London (PATROL) Joint Committee’s Independent Review Group for their PARC (Parking Annual Report by Councils) Awards. The winners were announced on 10 July 2018 and the Service was highly commended for best practice reporting in customer services.

The Parking Services Annual Report 2017/18 provided an overview of on-street and selected off-street parking enforcement across Cumbria between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2018. The report incorporated a breakdown of the number of PCNs issued by contravention code, a summary of how the PCNs were handled and the parking account summary. In addition the report provided some background information on Service developments and initiatives during the year.

During the discussion a question was asked on how enforcement was organised, if officers worked alone or with a colleague and if there was any method of tracking them in the event of problems arising.

The Parking Services Team Leader (West) advised that a weekly patrol rota was prepared which was not the same each week.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 21.

22.

2018/19 Local Committee Devolved Budget - Highways pdf icon PDF 99 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed)

 

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with an update on the Highways Programme, detail of which was contained within the attached appendices.

 

The Highways Network Officer reported that at this stage of the financial year the Devolved Highway Revenue budget and the devolved Highways Capital budget were both projecting balanced budgets

The Local Committee’s 2018-19 proposed Cash Limited Budget was determined by the County Council in February 2018.The Local Committee was able to vire funding between budget lines during the course of the financial year, subject to Corporate Policy and Service Standards. The Committee was not able to vire money from capital budgets into revenue budgets.

The Highways Network Officer advised that the latest Highways Devolved Revenue budget was £648,803 and the latest Highways Devolved Capital budget was £1,867,000.

 

Members asked if the County Councils programme of Gully cleaning be linked to the Borough Councils programme of street cleaning.

 

The Highways Network Officer advised that meetings are being arranged with the Borough Council to look at this issue.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

1)    the Local Committee note the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2018-19 and the commitments and expenditure recorded in Appendices 1 & 2 of the report.

2)    the Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Revenue budget, attached as Appendix 1 of the report, is currently projecting a balanced budget at this stage.

3)    the Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Capital Budget, attached as Appendix 2 of the report, is currently projecting a balanced budget at this stage.

 

23.

Area Manager Report - Copeland pdf icon PDF 131 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report brings together information from across the Community teams including Community Development, Libraries, Archives, Public Health and Waste Prevention, and provides Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of the budget position.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members had before them a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which brought together information from across the Community teams including Community Development, Libraries, Archives, Public Health and Waste Prevention. This report provided Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of the budget position.

 

COMMUNITY GRANTS AND STRATEGIC GRANT ACTIVITY   

The Copeland Children and Young People’s Partnership met on the 15 June, and considered a number of grant applications:

·         A grant of £10,000 to West Cumbria Learning Centre to support the cost of a Transition Worker based at Lakes College who will assist the smooth transition of students moving from WCLC provision into post 16 education. The role had proven to be successful in enabling students to stay engaged in education. Since the agenda had been published further outside funding had been obtained and it was AGREED that a reduced grant of £5,000 be recommended.

·         A grant of £200 to Distington Club for Young People towards the costs of the sports and healthy eating sessions within a Summer Play Scheme.

·         A grant of £1,000 toward the costs of a Summer Play Scheme for Greenbank Community Association.  

Members AGREED to all recommendations made.

COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TEAM AND ACTIVE CUMBRIA

The Community Development Team had worked with colleagues from Active Cumbria to facilitate a range of activities around the Tour of Britain and its arrival in Cumbria during September 2018.

Three Copeland Schools were nominated to receive the ‘Pedal Your Way to Health’ roadshow featuring a motivational, healthy lifestyle assembly with Mr Stretch from the Bread &Butter Theatre Company.

Moor Row, Frizington and Hensingham Community Primary schools were nominated due to their successful engagement with PhunkyFoods, the 100 Mile Challenge and the Active Lives Survey.

It was previously agreed to keep Members informed on progress of the buildings which were previously Kells, Hensingham and Mirehouse Libraries. The Kells building had been sold to Howgill Family Centre to support their Early Years activity.  Hensingham library was sold to a private buyer through auction in April; and Mirehouse library had opened as the ‘Top of the Shops’ social enterprise café and community hub from the end of June. 

At the last meeting of Local Committee Members were advised on a request to demolish the Millom School Swimming Pool. The pool had been closed following a condition survey which highlighted a number of significant issues. As an update Millom Town Council hosted a ‘Save Our Pool’ public meeting where local residents were able to hear from the group about their proposals in relation to renovating the old pool.  The Council had agreed to arrange for the ‘Save our Pool’ group to meet with the surveyors and relook at the costings.  An update would be brought back to Local Committee once further details were available.

LIBRARY UPDATE

As part of the progress for a Community Asset Transfer on Seascale Library the team has continued discussions with  ...  view the full minutes text for item 23.

24.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP – 13 JUNE 2018 pdf icon PDF 92 KB

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Local Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure, which gave details of the outcome of the meeting of the Highways Working Group (HWG) held on 13 June 2018 and presented the HWG recommendations to the Local Committee for approval.

 

1.            Minutes

 

RESOLVED that, Copeland Local Committee note the minutes of the Highways Working Group meeting held on 13 June 2018 and the recommendations contained within these.

 

2.            NPIF Bransty Row / North Shore Road Junction Improvements

The report also presented to the HWG relating to the NPIF Bransty Row / North Shore Road Junction Improvements scheme was attached as Appendix 2 to the report and contained all of the background information.

RESOLVED that,

(1)  the Local Committee agree to proceed to statutory consultation and advertisement of the changes to The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Whitehaven) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) Order 2018, in relation to the proposed removal of traffic restrictions, as per the designs attached as Appendix 1 of the report to HWG, and the addition of traffic restrictions, as per the designs attached as Appendix 2 of the report to HWG, which was attached as Appendix 2 to the report;

(2)  the Local Committee agree that, subject to there being no unresolved objections received at the end of the statutory consultation and advertisement of the changes referred to in paragraph (1) above, that the changes be brought into operation, as advertised having taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which are more specifically referred to at paragraph 7.2 of the report to HWG which was attached as Appendix 2 to the report;

(3)  the Local Committee agree to commence the statutory legal procedures in connection with the proposed introduction of a raised table and Toucan Crossings and the proposed removal of speed cushions on Tangier Street, as per the drawing attached as Appendix 5 of the report to HWG, which was attached as Appendix 2 to the report.

3          Whitehaven Traffic Regulation Order

Also the report presented to the HWG relating to Whitehaven Traffic Regulation Order was attached as Appendix 3 to the report and contained all of the background information.

RESOLVED that,

1)    the Local Committee agree to proceed to statutory consultation and advertisement of changes to The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Whitehaven) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) Order 2018 (“the Order”) in relation to the proposed changes shown on the plans attached as Appendices 1, 2, 4 and 5 of the report to HWG, which was attached as Appendix 3 to the report;

2)    the Local Committee agree that, subject to there being no unresolved objections received at the end of the statutory consultation and advertisement of the changes referred to in paragraph (a) above, that the changes be brought into operation, as advertised having taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which were more specifically referred  ...  view the full minutes text for item 24.

25.

NOMINATIONS - LA GOVERNORS OF NURSERY, PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS pdf icon PDF 42 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report seeks nominations for Governors of Nursery, Primary and Secondary Schools.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that, subject to their agreement, the following go forward as nominations

                      for LA Governors of nursery, primary and secondary schools:-

 

St Begh’s Catholic Junior School                                                        Miss Flo Hanlon

 

St Bees Village School                                                                        Alex McCarthy

 

26.

COPELAND CHAMPIONS UPDATE

To receive updates from the Copeland Champions

 

Minutes:

Dementia Champion

The Dementia Champion updated members on current items of interest to the Local Committee.

 

Autism Champion

The Autism Champion updated members on current items of interest to the Local Committee.

 

Children’s Champion

The Children’s Champion updated members on current items of interest to the Local

Committee.

 

27.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee

 

Minutes:

There were no updates on this occasion.

 

28.

NUCLEAR ISSUES

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues

 

Minutes:

The Cabinet Member for Nuclear Issues gave members a brief update.

 

29.

DAY SERVICES- GENERAL SOCIAL CARE UPDATE

Update by the Executive Director – People.

 

To update Members on current issues.

 

Minutes:

The Assistant Director, Strategic Commissioning updated the Local Committee in respect of ASC development within the Copeland Area.

 

The presentation gave details on the Council’s ambitious Extra Care Housing and Supported Living Strategy andoutlined the intention to increase the availability of Extra Care Housing and Supported Living accommodation for the people of Cumbria, enabling them to live independently for as long as possible.

 

The Council will be implementing two approaches to progress the development of Extra Care Housing and Supported Living, following engagement with housing authorities and potential providers:

 

  1. Grant Award Programme

 

Designed to provide the opportunity for potential providers to come forward with proposals for development, where support for the capital costs of the scheme is needed.

 

  1. Framework Agreement

 

Designed for the Council to commission specific developments by calling for sites, or developing Council owned sites in areas the Council has identified as priorities based on levels of need.

 

Homecare

 

The Assistant Director, Strategic Commissioning advised that homecare demand was increasing A question was asked if it was possible to share with member details of the Homecare figures in the Copeland Area. The Assistant Director, Strategic Commissioning agreed to provide these.

 

Modernisation of Cumbria Care

 

An update was given in respect of the new Care Home build. Construction work is progressing well on development of new residential home. It was anticipated that completion would be achieved by March 2019 and the new home would have an enhanced environment, supporting those with dementia and a high level of physical frailty

 

The Transfers to the new home would be completed as sensitively as possible on a home by home basis and families would be supported to be an integral part of the transition process.

 

The Assistant Director, Strategic Commissioning also gave a brief update on the Integrated Care Communities (ICC), advising on progress with this.

 

Members thanked the Assistant Director, Strategic Commissioning for her presentation

 

30.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on 11 September 2018 at 10.15 am at the Civic Hall, Cleator Moor.

 

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on 11 September 2018 at 10.15 am at the Civic Hall, Cleator Moor.