Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland
Tuesday, 15th January, 2019 10.15 am

Venue: Cleator Moor Civic Hall and Masonic Centre, Jacktrees Rd, Cleator Moor CA25 5AU

Contact: Shamim Lindsay  Email: shamim.lindsay@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

66.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence received.

 

67.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest made on this occasion.

 

68.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,            that the press and public be not excluded during consideration of any items on the agenda.

 

69.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There are no public questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion at the time the agenda was despatched.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements made on this occasion.

 

70.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 119 KB

To receive the minutes of the previous meeting held on 27 November 2018 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

(1)  With reference to Minute Number 52- Millom School, it was agreed for the word “principle” to be changed to “principal”.

 

RESOLVED,            that with the inclusion of (1) the minutes of the previous meeting held on 27 November 2018 be agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chair.

 

It was suggested that agendas should include a section for representatives to give an update on cooperative working. It was AGREED this would be incorporated into the Area Planning report going forward.

 

71.

INTEGRATED RISK MANAGEMENT PLAN CONSULTATION pdf icon PDF 11 MB

To consider the Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service Draft Integrated Risk Management Plan Consultation 2019?23 (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a paper and presentation by the Chief Fire Officer. It was explained that the Integrated Risk Management Plan (IRMP) was in draft form and undergoing consultation. The Plan was for 4 years and would reflect changes in demand, technology and communities.  It was stated that every fire and rescue service is required to produce an IRMP. The current Plan covers the period 2016- 2020, however must be continually reviewed in line with the latest information about risk. The Fire Service had updated both the IRMP and Risk Based Evidence Profile to ensure it reflects the most up-to-date risk analysis.

 

Consideration was given to the Council’s vision and desired outcomes for the people of Cumbria. The most significant aim for the Fire Service was for people in Cumbria to be healthy and safe, as part of this, the service carried out the following in the past year:

-       Over 10,000 safe and well visits

-       324 Heartstart courses

-       Over 1000 fire safety audits

-       82 RAT courses

-       Responded to an average of 11 incidents per day

 

The Local Member for Kells and Sandwith asked whether the fire service had linked up with schools following a number of fires over the summer period. The Area Manager advised that firefighters undertook targeted work with schools.

 

It was explained that the Fire Service as a whole was experiencing national challenges in relation to the aging population, terrorism, Brexit, the Police and Crime Act, changes in demographics and climate change. Cumbria Fire Service would work innovatively to manage demand and would aim to work smarter, ways of doing this included piloting rapid response vehicles and the introduction of blue light hubs.

 

Members watched a short film on the new rapid response vehicles which would be piloted in the upcoming months. The Area Manager- Prevention and Protection gave technical details of the vehicles. A Member asked whether the vehicles would replace the traditional fire engine, in response it was advocated that the service would retain fire engines but the rapid response vehicles would replace some engines to provide a more efficient service. It was portrayed that the vehicles would be better suited to the environment in Cumbria. It was explained that the vehicles would be manned by three firefighters rather than the current figure of four which is used to operate fire engines. A Member asked whether this had been discussed with staff and Trade Unions and in response it was explained that this would form part of the consultation.

 

A Member asked whether the rapid response vehicles would have the same equipment as traditional fire engines, it was explained that the vehicles would have ladders and similar sized pumping capacity hoses. The vehicles would be more suited to attend RTC’s and stabilise situations whilst awaiting further support. The vehicles would also be good at off-roading and would allow better access.

 

An in-depth discussion ensued in relation to the area of Frizington and concerns were raised regarding the possible loss  ...  view the full minutes text for item 71.

72.

WORKING TOGETHER PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 2 MB

To receive a presentation by the Highways Network Manager (Copeland) and Senior Highways Network Technician (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

Consideration was given to a presentation by the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which discussed the Working Together Programme which would work to formalise arrangements with 3rd parties working on the highway.

 

The presentation gave details under the following headings:-

 

-       The Council’s vision and approach

-       Promises

-       Maintaining roads, verges and hedges

-       Safety

-       A refreshed approach

-       New partnership agreements

-       Next steps

 

It was explained that a voluntary agreement would be in place for low risk activities and the Working Together Agreement would be in place for low to medium risk activities. The aim of the agreement was to formalise and make safe arrangements already in place with Parish/ Town Councils and third parties alike.

 

Officers explained they would present to Local Committee with the agreements once finalised. In the meantime the most common questions and answers would be circulated to Members to support discussions with Parishioners or members of the community.

 

A Member asked whether a pilot of the agreement would be undertaken and it was explained that officers are working closely with key parishes to support the development of the agreements. Officers were hopeful that through this engagement with key parishes, the agreements would be fit for purpose once made public.

 

73.

PROPOSED DEVOLVED CAPITAL PROGRAMME - COPELAND 2019/2020 pdf icon PDF 101 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which contained proposals for the NPRN, road lighting and traffic related improvements programme of works for 2019/20 based on assumed funding allocation of £1,803,000.

 

The provisional programme was tabled at Copeland Highways and Transport Working Group on the 16th October for member’s information. Following discussions at the Working Group confirmation of the devolved highways budget allocations for 2019/2020 were attached to the report.

 

A Member asked why there was only one highways related report historically a highway progress and budget monitoring report for that financial year is tabled bi-monthly. In response the Highways Network Manager believed this followed a change in the terms of reference as part of the reshaping of Local Committees, which would allow Members to look in detail at highways quarterly rather than every meeting. A question was raised in regards to how Members approve suggested virements between schemes on a regular basis with the new approach. The Area Manager explained that the scheme of delegation delegated authority to the Highways Network Manager to make virements in consultation with the Chair and Local Member.

 

RESOLVED,             that the Committee agree to the proposed Devolved NPRN Programme of Works for 2019/20 as set out in the attached appendix, subject to Cabinet’s confirmation of the devolved highways budget allocations for 2019/20.

 

74.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP - 10 DECEMBER 2018 pdf icon PDF 84 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report from the Acting Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report which gave details of the Copeland Highways Working Group held on 10 December 2018.

 

RESOLVED,            that Local Committee notes the minutes of the meeting of the Highways Working Group held on 10 December 2018.

 

75.

COPELAND AREA PLANNING REPORT pdf icon PDF 136 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members were guided through a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which brought together information from across the Community team and provided the Local Committee with an update on work and activity undertaken to promote and progress area planning since the last meeting of the Committee.

 

A Member asked whether libraries were holding exhibitions to commemorate the holocaust memorial. In response the Area Manager stated it was up to each individual library on how they wanted to mark the occasion and could link up with archives to collect information in the area.

 

It was explained that a school governor nomination had been missed out of the report and was tabled at the meeting.

 

RESOLVED,             that

 

(1)  members note the updates in the report;

(2)  members agree to the grant recommendations outlined at paragraph 4.2.4 of the report; and

(3)  subject to their approval the following be appointed:-

 

School                                                         Nomination

Arlecdon Primary School                          Mr O David

 


76.

UPDATE ON CONNECTED COMMUNITIES

To receive a presentation on Connected Communities within Copeland.

 

Minutes:

Suzanne Wilson, a Research Fellow in Social Inclusion and Community Engagement, attended the meeting to give a presentation titled Cultivating Citizenship through Community Capital. The presentation discussed the following:-

 

Background

·         The presenter gave an overview of West Cumbria and described the area using terms such as geographically isolated and a post industrial area.

·         The research used the Mirehouse and Woodhouse areas as samples.

·         The study shown the area had low levels of loneliness with older people having the greatest level of loneliness.

 

Method

·         The study used peer interviews, self-reporting and focus groups as the design.

·         The sample was young people, parents and police officers.

 

Key Findings

·         The group demonstrated empathy to the needs of the local community by learning and reflecting on experiences of the community.

·         The young people felt empowered and reflected on their role as a member of society.

·         Community connections were built upon.

·         The group undertook independent engagement in social action and carried out a number of fundraising events such as a sponsored walk, cake sale, coffee morning and car boot sale.

·         Furthermore the group took part in social action activities such as litter-picks, photography and public presentations.

 

Co-production of Intergenerational Projects to Build Community Connections

·         £5,000 was awarded for the group to work with Cumbria Film Studios to create short films to raise awareness of mental health issues.

·         £5,000 was awarded by the #iwill fund to employ a youth connectors lead to help actualise the girls actualise their ideas to overcoming loneliness in older people.

·         A Family Fitness Programme was being designed that would be piloted in the community.

 

The Chair thanked Ms Wilson for the informative presentation.

 

77.

CHAMPION UPDATE - AREA PLANNING pdf icon PDF 96 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

A report on Champion Updates going forward under Area Planning and to receive any updates from committee Champions.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Local Committee received a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services. The report gave details of the work of Member Champions and how this can support and enhance area planning and embed local knowledge into service provision.

 

The Children’s Champion informed the Committee that HMS Biter, a Navy ship, would be in Copeland on the 25th of January and would be open to the public for tours. Members were encouraged to raise awareness.

 

It was noted that Cllr Hitchen was omitted from the list of Member Champions and was still the Dementia Champion for the Copeland area.

 

RESOLVED,             that Members note the content of the report.

 

78.

MEMBERS UPDATE ON OUTSIDE BODIES - AREA PLANNING pdf icon PDF 97 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

A report on Outside Bodies updates going forward under Area Planning and to receive any updates from members on Outside Bodies.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was presented by the Executive Director – Corporate Customer and Community Services which identified opportunities where Members appointed to represent Local Committee on outside bodies can support and enhance area planning through embedding local knowledge into service provision or through partnership working.

 

A Member informed that they had been trying to get appointed to the Wasdale Head Executive Group however it had not been possible. It was explained that the Committee had to prioritise appointments and keep to a minimum to save costs. Another Member expressed their opinion that with the increased emphasis on area planning it would be a good idea to appoint a Member to the Lake District National Park Authority to look at area planning in the area. Following a discussion it was AGREED that the Area Manager would look into the benefits to Local Committee having membership on the Wasdale Head group and Lake District National Park Partnership.

 

RESOLVED,             that Members note the content of this report.

 

79.

NUCLEAR ISSUES

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues

 

Minutes:

It was noted that the RWM consultation on Site Evaluation was now live and Members asked the Area Manager to work with lead Members and Officers to arrange an all Member briefing on the issue.

 

80.

Local Chairs and Leadership minutes 26 November 2018 pdf icon PDF 59 KB

To receive the minutes from the Local Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 26 November 2018 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

The Committee received the minutes of the Leadership and Local Committee Chairs meeting held on 26 November 2018.

 

81.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 5 March 2019 at 10.15 am at Cleator Moor Civic Hall.

 

Minutes:

It was noted that the next meeting would be held on 5 March 2019 at Cleator Moor Civic Hall.