Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Allerdale
Tuesday, 5th June, 2018 11.00 am

Venue: Moorclose Community Centre, Needham Dr, Workington CA14 3SE

Contact: Jackie Currie  Email: jackie.currie@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

ELECTION OF CHAIR

To elect a Chair for the forthcoming year

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     Mr AJ Markley be appointed as Chair for the forthcoming year.

 

2.

ELECTION OF VICE CHAIR

To elect a Vice Chair for the forthcoming year

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     Mr A Barry be appointed as Vice Chair for the forthcoming year.

 

The outgoing Chair thanked all the officers for their work in supporting him during his term of office.  He congratulated Jack Wilson and Pamela Wilkinson from the Community Team, on behalf of Allerdale Local Committee for their recent success at the Cumbria County Council Excellence Awards.

 

3.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr DS Fairbairn, Mr HGG Graham, Mr A Kennon,  Lord R Liddle, Mrs C McCarron-Holmes, and Mrs C Tibble.

 

4.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for            profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                                         interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the    area of the authority; and

 

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one            hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

Mrs RC Hanson declared a non pecuniary interest under the Members’ Code of Conduct in Agenda Item No 8 – Proposed Amalgamation of Maryport Infant and Junior School, as her business has in the past provided services to these schools, however, she is not currently working with either of the schools.

5.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business.

 

6.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no public questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch.

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements made on this occasion.

 

7.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 105 KB

To confirm the minutes of the last meeting held on 3 April 2018 (copy enclosed)

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,     the minutes of the previous meeting held on 3 April 2018 be agreed as a true and accurate record.

 

8.

PROPOSED AMALGAMATION OF MARYPORT INFANT AND JUNIOR SCHOOL pdf icon PDF 95 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Maryport North, Maryport South ]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – People (Deputy Chief Executive)

 

This report provides background on the current formal consultation being undertaken by the county council on the proposed amalgamation of Maryport Infant School and Maryport CE Junior School. The consultation document is attached as Appendix A.  The consultation has been undertaken at the request of the governing bodies of the two schools and with the support of the Carlisle CE Diocese.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members had before them a report from the Executive Director – People, which provided background on the current formal consultation being undertaken by the County Council on the proposed amalgamation of Maryport Infant School and Maryport CE Junior School.

 

The governing bodies of Maryport Infant and Maryport Junior schools approached Cumbria County Council to carry out a public consultation into the proposed amalgamation of the two schools to form an all-through primary school.

 

The governing bodies believe that a single school would provide a more stable base to cope with fluctuations in pupil numbers and funding. 

 

Both the schools currently occupied two ends of the same building on a single site in the town of Maryport, and would continue to do so as an all-through primary.

 

The amalgamation would mean that parents of pupils would no longer need to apply for a place on transfer from the infant to the junior school, as amalgamation would remove this need and guarantee a place in the school until it was time to move to secondary school.

 

Whilst parents in Maryport had the option of a CE junior education, there was currently no such option at the infant stage. This would be provided through amalgamating the two schools to form a new CE primary school.

 

Should the proposal be approved Maryport Infant School would be discontinued on 31 August 2019 and the age range at Maryport CE Junior School would be extended to cover the primary phase on 1 September 2019. 

 

The proposed new school would be Voluntary Controlled, meaning that decisions on admissions would still be taken by Cumbria County Council and staff would continue to be employed by the council.

 

Any change to a school had the potential to impact on the quality of education on offer, and it was important that the Cabinet was able to take account of local views before deciding whether to proceed.  The Allerdale Local Committee was invited to take part in the consultation process, and its views would be considered by the Cabinet and the school governors before they decided on the next steps.

 

Members asked if the schools currently shared any infrastructure.  The School Places Manager said the schools shared the same site, but operated as two separate schools.

 

One of the members asked about the procedure for the appointment of the Headteacher at this school. The School Places Manager said it would not be appropriate to discuss this as no decision has yet been made to amalgamate.  Members were reminded that the school and the governors would be responsible for the appointment of the Headteacher, not the County Council.

 RESOLVED that,

 

(1)       the Local Committee note the contents of the report;

(2)          members supported the proposals, in principle, pending Cabinet’s consideration of feedback from the consultation.

9.

2018/19 LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED BUDGET - HIGHWAYS pdf icon PDF 97 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Corporate Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed)

 

This report presents the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with the Highways Programme Progress report, as detailed in the attached appendices.

 

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Local Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy an Infrastructure, which presented the Highways Devolved Budget Finance report combined with the Highways Programme Progress report, as detailed in the attached appendices.

 

The Highway Network Manager asked members to note that at this stage of the financial year the Devolved Highway Revenue budget, and the Devolved Highways Capital Budget were both projecting balanced budgets.

 

Members asked for an update on the weed spraying programme.  The Highway Network Manager said all orders had been placed with the contractor and works would commence immediately with visibility cuts at junctions being carried out first.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

(1)       Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Revenue budget, attached as Appendix 1, is currently projecting a balanced budget at this stage of the financial year;

(2)       Local Committee note the Highways Devolved Capital Budget, attached as Appendix 2, is currently projecting a balanced budget at this stage of the financial year.  

 

10.

ALLERDALE HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 63 KB

To receive the minutes of the Allerdale Highways Working Group held on 2 May 2018 (copy enclosed)

 

 

 

Minutes:

In relation to road closures and highways works the Local Member for Bothel and Wharrels said he had been receiving complaints from members of the public about signage not being removed after works were completed and he asked the Highway Network Manager to follow this up.

 

The Local Committee’s representative on CRASH gave members a brief update on the recently held CRASH meeting.  This was noted.

 

RESOLVED that,     the minutes of the Allerdale Highways Working Group held on 2 May 2018 be received and noted.

 

At the end of this item the Highways Network Manager gave the members a demonstration of the new pages on the County Council’s website which details the road closures and highway works planned for Allerdale.

 

11.

ALLERDALE AREA MANAGER'S REPORT pdf icon PDF 126 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report provides members with an update on the activities of the Allerdale Community Services Team and presents the budget for the current financial year.

 

 

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services, which provided members with an update on the activities of the Allerdale Community Services Team and presented the budget for the current financial year.

 

The Area Manager took members through the report and drew attention to:-

 

·      Area planning

 

Area Planning and the future role of local committees was currently under discussion to ensure that area working became fully embedded locally and that there was more joined up thinking at a local level between Members, CCC Service Leads and other organisations.

 

As this became more refined, this type of approach would continue to ensure that local risks were mitigated and opportunities were taken advantage of, to the benefit of people living and working across Allerdale.

 

The Joint Liaison Group with Allerdale Borough Council had been re-established and a smaller officer working group had also been established which regularly reviewed the built assets of both organisations, the services provided and considered where co-location and joint working would be beneficial. The Joint Liaison Group would form part of the area working approach going forward and report back to Local Committee.

 

·      Allerdale Community Services

 

The team was well represented at the recent Excellence Awards in the West across ten categories, a total of 9 nominations. There were two outright winners from within the team:-

 

   Jack Wilson (Community Development Assistant) – Apprentice of the Year

   Pamela Wilkinson (Operational Lead) – Inspirational Leader of the Year

 

Members were delighted to learn of this, and congratulated both members of staff.

     Local Authority Governors

 

Nominations had been agreed with the local Members for Local Authority governors at the following schools:

 

     St Gregory’s Catholic Primary School – Ms R Greenhow

     Crosscannonby St John’s C of E School – Ms M Miller

     St Matthews C of E School, Westnewton – Mrs B Sanderson

 

Members noted the nominations.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

(1)  members note the expenditure to 31 May 2018 from the 2018-19 budgets as set out in Appendix 1 of the report;

(2)  members note the continuing area planning activity in the current year;

(3)  members note the update on recent activity of the Community Services Team as set out in paragraphs 4.6 to 4.20 of the report;

(4)  members note the nomination of the following Local Authority governors:-

 

   St Gregory’s Catholic Primary School – Ms R Greenhow

   Crosscannonby St John’s C of E School – Ms M Miller

   St Matthews C of E School, Westnewton – Mrs B Sanderson

12.

INVESTMENT IN COMMUNITIES pdf icon PDF 127 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report provides members with an update on the activities of the Allerdale Community Services Team and presents the budget for the current financial year.

 

 

 

Minutes:

Allerdale Local Committee members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services, which set out the priority areas in relation to people across Allerdale and identified projects that were considered to improve the lives and opportunities for the local population.

 

This report was prepared to give Members an overview of the issues and concerns affecting the people who live in Allerdale.

 

A General Provision budget was allocated to Allerdale Local Committee of £77,399. It was agreed at its meeting on 3 April 2018 to set aside a fund of £16,000 to be awarded to small community projects. Further allocations of the General Provision were not made.  The projects in this report sought to improve the lives of people who live in Allerdale and to meet the agreed funding priorities.

 

·      Allerdale Health Data Update

 

The Area Manager pointed out to members that Allerdale was in the bottom (worst) quartile in England and Wales for Healthy Life Expectancy (HLE) and HLE inequality for both males and females, and that this data helped to provide evidence to support the previously agreed grant giving priorities.   Members noted this.

 

·      Community Projects

 

The applications before members were:-

 

a)    Project 1 - Tour of Britain

 

The Tour of Britain would be coming to Cumbria once again this year and the County Council was keen to use the event to promote public health issues by working with communities and groups to encourage people to become more active. The Community Services Team was working with partners to identify a wide range of activities and events in the run-up to the events which would start on 3 September 2018.

 

One of these activities wa the launch of a Bike Library operating from Workington Library which Local Committee had previously provided funding for. A number of community activities were either free to deliver or could e funded by partners or by charging a participation fee. However, there were a number of activities which would encourage lifelong good health activities which required small amounts of funding or simply encourage communities to come together to celebrate the Tour coming to Cumbria where one or more of the grant giving priorities were met.

 

Local committee was being asked to authorise an amount up to the value of £15,000 to be spent on Tour of Britain associated community activity particularly where it progresses the public health agenda and/or created legacy within a community. This money would be allocated from within the General Provision.  Members supported this project.

 

b)    Project 2 - Support for Refugees

 

Cumbria Leaders Board made a commitment to re-settle 285 refugees across Cumbria over a three year period. This process was now into its second year. Provision was made by central government to support refugees so that they could become members of our communities. Informal support, run alongside the statutory provision, helped refugees to settle and integrate and local committee was being asked to authorise an amount up to the value of £2,000 to be spent  ...  view the full minutes text for item 12.

13.

INVESTMENT IN CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE pdf icon PDF 139 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed)

 

This report provides an update on the key issues affecting children and young people in Allerdale, the headline health statistics and sets out the details of grant applications from the available funds.

 

 

 

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services which provided an update on the key issues affecting children and young people in Allerdale, the headline health statistics and set out the details of grant applications from the available funds.

 

This report sets out the details of applications received for funding from the 0-19 fund that met the needs of children and young people across Allerdale for approval by local committee. The report also presented details of applications to the 11-19 Universal Provision fund to provide youth provision on an open to all basis.

 

The 0-19 fund in the current year was held centrally to directly impact on larger projects that had been identified through need, whether by geography or theme. These projects were presented in this report for Member approval.

 

·      Children and Young People’s Partnership (C&YPP)

 

The Children and Young People’s Partnership (C&YPP) continued to meet to ensure that partners speak with each other, there was broad agreement on the areas to focus and funding following need.

 

The C&YPP was still relatively new and would continue to develop over the course of the financial year but so far had created an excellent forum for networking between providers and funders, and provided opportunities to share information that would benefit children and young people through the organisations that supported them.

 

·      Grant Applications

 

Project 1 - King’s Church Cockermouth

 

King’s Church piloted a fortnightly youth group in May 2017 following reports of anti-social behaviour and a lack of universal youth provision in Cockermouth. The sessions were run on a Friday night, 4-9pm for young people aged 11 to 16. The youth group had gone from strength to strength with around 25 young people attending each session. Despite the growing numbers there were still a number of young people in and around Cockermouth who do not access any provision within the town and surrounding villages.

 

King’s Church would like to build on the existing provision by piloting an outreach youth worker for 12 hours per week for 12 months. The youth worker would work with schools and the local Police to work with young people who were disengaged with the view to encourage the young people into joining existing groups in the town whether that be the Amplify youth sessions or other structured groups.  The pilot would run for 12 months with the aim to engage and encourage more children to join local groups, to tackle social isolation and anti-social behaviour. If the pilot proved successful King’s Church would look at funding to extend the project.

The total cost of the project is £7,000. £2,500 will be funded via Cumbria Youth Alliance for the Friday Night youth session element and the organisation have applied for £4,000 with King’s Church funding the remaining balance.

 

Project 2 - Maryport Youth & Children’s Centre

 

Maryport Youth & Children’s Centre runs a well-established, weekly, children’s club on a Friday night.  The club had a membership of 90 with around 20  ...  view the full minutes text for item 13.

14.

ACTIONS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS pdf icon PDF 42 KB

[Electoral Divisions –  All Allerdale ]

 

To consider a report by the Area Support Manager (copy enclosed).

 

This report updates the Committees on actions arising from previous meetings.

 

Minutes:

In considering the outstanding actions list it was AGREED that the following items be removed from the list:-

 

5 February 2018 – Minute No 83 (Lone Worker Policy)

 

15.

CHILDREN'S CHAMPION UPDATE

To receive a verbal update from Allerdale Local Committee’s Children’s Champion

Minutes:

There was no update given on this occasion.

 

16.

VERBAL REPORTS FROM MEMBERS SERVING ON OUTSIDE BODIES

Members representing Allerdale Local Committee are invited to report back verbally on recent meetings they may have attended.

Minutes:

Members noted the update from CRASH given under the Allerdale Highways Working Group item.

 

There were no other updates given on this occasion.

 

17.

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on 4 September 2018 at ENERGUS, Workington at 10am. 

 

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 4 September 2018 at ENERGUS at 10am