To receive updates from the Chair of each of the following:-
Cumbria Police and Crime Panel Mr W McEwan
Cumbria Health Scrutiny Committee Ms C Driver
Scrutiny Panel - Adults Mr M Wilson
Cumbria LEP Scrutiny Mr W Wearing
Scrutiny Panel - Communities and Place Mr S Collins
Scrutiny Panel - Children and Young People Mrs V Tarbitt
The Board received an update on the work of the Scrutiny Advisory Boards, Panels and Committees from each of the Chairs.
(1) Cumbria Police and Crime Panel
The Board received an update on the work of the Cumbria Police and Crime Panel. Members heard that the Panel had met on 7 February 2020 and had agreed the proposed precept of 3.47%. The Panel had made representations to the Commissioner that the establishment provision of 95 PCSOs be maintained. Members heard that 51 new police officers would be recruited this year, with a total of 170 over a three year period. The next meeting in May would be immediately after the Police and Crime Commissioner election. The main focus of that meeting would be to discuss the broad direction and priorities for the emerging new Police and Crime plan.
(2) Members received an update on the work of Cumbria Health Scrutiny Committee. The Committee had met on 10 December and 25 February and considered a number of topics. The next meeting in May would consider innovative staffing models, sustainability of rural and remote hospitals, the impact of ICC on Acute Settings in South Cumbria and review of Winter Pressures.
The Joint Health and Adults Scrutiny Advisory Group were holding a series of joint meetings to look at areas covering the closer integration of Health and Care Services and, at their February meeting, had focused on the County’s Dementia profile. The Joint Cumbria and Lancashire Health Scrutiny Committee was scheduled to meet to scrutinise services across the Morecambe Bay footprint. A new Joint Committee for the whole of the Lancashire and South Cumbria Integrated Care System had been established with the first meeting planned for early April 2020.
(3) The Chair of the Scrutiny Advisory Board – Adults submitted a report updating members of the work of the Board. The Board had met in January 2020 and had considered the new Adult Social Care Staffing Structure and Safeguarding Adults at risk from abuse and neglect. The next meeting would take place on 30 March and would consider DTOCs, Cumbria Care, All Ages Charter and Safeguarding Adults.
(4) The Chair of the LEP Scrutiny Partnership Board updated members on the work of the Board. The last meeting of the LEP Scrutiny Board had considered numerous issues. The next meeting would take place on 3 March and would consider progress on delivery of the Local Industrial Strategy Implementation Plan.
(5) Members received a report on the work of the Scrutiny Advisory Board – Communities and Place. The Board, at its meeting in November 2019, had considered progress on delivery of the Council’s Equality Plan, the Council’s involvement in the Rural Services Network, the Council’s approach to development and management of Section 38 and 278 agreements and the evaluation report of the pilot scheme of the use of Rapid Response Vehicles. Members were informed that a Task and Finish Group would be established to scrutinise the Council’s approach to development and management of Section Agreements. The scope of the Task and Finish Group would be signed off by the Chair and Vice Chair of the Scrutiny Management Board.
(6) A report was submitted updating the Board on the work of the Children and Young People’s Scrutiny Advisory Board. The Board had met in December 2019 and had considered progress on implementing the findings of the SEND Joint Area Inspection and Contextual Safeguarding. The Chair informed members that the next meeting would take place on 20 March 2020 and would be looking at Short Breaks Commissioning, Resource Provision in Schools and receive a presentation from the Executive Director – People on future priorities for children.
It was agreed that the new Executive Director – People be invited to attend the next meetings of the Scrutiny Advisory Boards for Children and Young People and Adults.
(1) the reports be noted;
(2) the Executive Director – People be invited to attend the next meetings of the Scrutiny Advisory Boards for Children and Young People and Adults.