The Cumbria Fire Local Pension Board (‘the Board’) is responsible for assisting the Scheme Manager of the Cumbria Firefighters Pension Scheme to secure compliance with relevant regulations and legislation and the requirements of the Pensions Regulator in relation to the Firefighters Pension Scheme (FPS); and to ensure the effective and efficient governance and administration of the FPS.
The Board is constituted under the Public Service Pension Act 2013 and the Fire Pension Scheme (Amendment) (Governance) Regulations 2014 and is therefore not subject to the requirements of s.101 of the Local Government Act 1972. The Board has no remit as a decision making body but is established to assist the Scheme Manager fulfil its functions which shall be deemed to cover all aspects of governance and administration of the Pension Scheme.
There is a legislative requirement on Members of a Local Pension Board to develop a level of knowledge and understanding of pension matters sufficient to enable them to provide effective, constructive and informed support to the Administering Authority. The responsibility is an individual one rather than a collective one.
Membership of the Board
It is composed of:-
· 2 scheme member representatives; and
· 2 scheme employer representatives.
Details of current members of the Board including biographical information:
Scheme member representatives:
· Dominic Harrison (Chair),
· Dominic Harrison is an experienced Risk Management Professional, working on the Sellafield site in West Cumbria. Dominic is the former Chief Fire Officer for Cumbria County Council, and has many years of Board level and leadership experience in local government, fire and safety services, the nuclear industry and organisational development. Dominic is a retired scheme member.
· Mark Nicholson,
· Mark Nicholson is a Station Manager based in West Command with the Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service and is a member of the Fire Brigades Union currently holding the position of Officer Branch representative. Mark has previously served in the Armed Forces and has also worked in the chemical and nuclear industries. Mark is both an active and deferred pension scheme member.
Scheme employer representatives:
· Janet Willis (Vice-Chair),
· Janet Willis is a County Council Member for Low Furness holding the role of Cabinet Member for Customers, Transformation and Fire & Rescue. Janet is Company Secretary and Director of Greenodd PO Ltd and is a Director of NW Fire Control Limited. In addition she is a member of a number of outside bodies such as the LGA Fire Service Commission & the North West Fire & Rescue Forum. Janet is also Chair of the Pupil Referral Unit, Barrow, Finance Committee and Governor of Pennington C of E School.
· Gareth Michael Ellis,
· Gareth Michael Ellis is a County Council Member for Belah holding the role of Deputy Cabinet Member for Customers, Transformation and Fire & Rescue. Gareth is also a Carlisle City Councillor and is a Director of NW Fire Control Ltd. In addition Gareth is a member of the North West Fire & Rescue Forum, the Lowther St Trust and the Belah Centre.
The agendas, minutes and reports for the meetings of the Board and dates for future meetings are available on the website. Meetings are open to the press and public. Occasionally, the Board may meet in private to discuss specific confidential matters.
Register of Interests and Code of Conduct
Prior to appointment to the Board all Members are required to sign up to the Board’s Code of Conduct and Conflicts of Interest Policy. As a body representing the public interest the Code of Conduct and Conflicts of Interest Policy of Members of the Fire Local Pension Board will be aligned to those applicable to Members on other Council Committees and are available at:Constitution - Part 4B - Members' Code of Conduct and guidance : Cumbria County Council
Further details of the work of the Board may be found in the Board’s Terms of Reference, reflected as the Functions of the Board which are available at: Constitution - Part 2Q - Cumbria Fire Local Pension Board : Cumbria County Council
Support officer: Jackie Currie. Email: email@example.com
Phone: 01228 221030