Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Barrow - Tuesday, 15th November, 2022 10.30 am

Venue: Conference Room, Nan Tait Centre, Barrow-in-Furness, LA14 1LG

Contact: Lynn Harker  Email: lynn.harker@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

A minute’s silence was observed in memory of Mr J Garnett and Mr C Kitchin.

 

38.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr M Worth and Mr R Worthington.

 

39.

Disclosures of Interest

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

            (a)    Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)    Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer.

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)    The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)    The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

            (a)    That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

            (b)    Either –

 

(i)            The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

                     (ii)        If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

 

Minutes:

There were no disclosures of interest made on this occasion.

 

40.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item of business.

 

41.

Public Participation

There are no public questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, statements or petitions relating to the business of the Committee on this occasion.

 

42.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 239 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 16 September 2022 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the minutes of the meeting held on 16 September 2022 be confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

 

43.

Flood and Development Management Update pdf icon PDF 253 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents an overview of Flood and Development Management activities in the Barrow area.

 

Minutes:

(The local Member for Hindpool raised concerns as to whether the details in the report would prejudice those members of the Local Committee who were also members of the Planning Committee.  Officers gave reassurances that the information provided was for information only and would not affect members).

 

Members considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which presented an overview of Flood and Development Management activities in the Barrow area.

 

The local Member for Walney South asked why it was recommended that an objection be made with regards to the application at Combe House, Central Drive, Barrow.  The Lead Officer, Flood and Development Management explained that inadequate information had been received and further details were awaited.

 

Members were informed that no additional Section 106 funding contributions had been received and there were no flooded properties to report since the last meeting.

 

The Local Committee raised concerns about communications regarding planning applications in their divisions.  The Chair of the Local Committee emphasised the need for good communication with members.  It was agreed that the appropriate local Member and Chair and Vice-Chair of the Local Committee would be kept updated on all future applications.

 

RESOLVED,   that the report be noted.

 

44.

Business and Intellectual Property Centre (BIPC) Programme pdf icon PDF 186 KB

To receive a presentation (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

The Committee received a presentation regarding the Business and Intellectual Property Centre (BIPC) Programme which was ran by the British Libraries and offered free support for emergent and new and established businesses specialising in three main areas of advice and support.

 

Members were informed sites were now based in Barrow and Carlisle libraries which continued to form meaningful links with other sectors.  The Committee noted an on?line offer and social media had been launched with bookings actively being taken up and completed with the assistance of the eight experts recruited and in residence.

 

The Committee was informed that the on?line offer and implementation of webinars on the website continued to build with the public launch planned for 18 November to which all members were invited to attend.  Members welcomed the inclusion of the third sector organisations and building further meaningful links with partners and branching out to other library settings.

 

In conclusion members were informed that the main aim was to be a conduit to all the quality support and advice which already exists within Cumbria, to offer a ‘catch all’ approach and a chance to engage a new audience through the Library service and to host events, share good practice, signpost and feed into other providers

 

The local Member for Dalton North asked how engagement was being undertaken with other organisations and whether communication packs were available for members to allow them to link with organisations such as parish councils.  The BIPC Programme Manger explained that communications and social media platforms were increasing but welcomed any relationships from members with other agencies and agreed to provide the Committee with information packs. 

 

The local Member for Hindpool welcomed the Project echoing the need for strong communications and suggested that more social enterprise would build confidence in people.  The BIPC Programme Manager explained there was a proposal to work with larger local companies such as BAE to help promote the initiative.  During the course of discussion the local Member for Ormsgill suggested links also be made with the Rotary Clubs in the Barrow area.

 

A discussion took place regarding the length of the Programme and members were informed that initially funding for staff had been secured for two years but this had now been extended until 2026.  It was explained that the vision of the Authority was that the Programme would be included as part of the Library Service.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, welcomed the Programme and thanked the BIPC Programme Manager for the update.

 

RESOLVED,     that the update be noted.

 

45.

Parking Services Update pdf icon PDF 183 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update to Members on the enforcement of on- street parking in the Barrow Local Committee area.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which provided an update to members on the enforcement of on?street parking in the Barrow Local Committee area.

 

The local Member for Dalton North asked for an update on a previous referral from Barrow Local Committee regarding the proposal to apply to the DVLA to devolve powers to Cumbria County Council as the Local Highway Authority to take enforcement action on untaxed vehicles on the roads in their area.  The Chair of the Local Committee confirmed this matter was still being investigated.

 

The Chair of the Local Committee raised his concerns regarding the safety of Civil Enforcement Officers and asked that the use of full?time cameras on a loop system be investigated.  The Traffic Manager confirmed that the Parking Manager was investigating this matter and an update would be made available to members.

 

The local Member for Hindpool drew attention to the significant increase in Penalty Charge Notices issued during November 2021.  The Parking Team Leader suggested this was probably due to the training of newly appointed Parking Enforcement Officers.

 

The local Member for Ormsgill referred to the close joint working which took place with a number of agencies to address parking?related issues.  It was explained that a representative from Stagecoach regularly attended meetings of the Barrow Highways Advisory Sub?Group to discuss such matters and invited the Traffic Manager to a future meeting.

 

The Chair, on behalf of the Committee, asked that their thanks and appreciation be passed to the Parking Team for the excellent work they undertook, highlighting in particular the Town Centre.

 

RESOLVED,     that

 

                            (1)       the report be noted as an update on the performance of the on-street parking enforcement service in the Barrow locality;

 

                            (2)       the Parking Services Annual Report 2021/22 be noted;

 

                            (3)       members identify any ongoing issues with enforcement and parking management in their divisions so that these can be considered in marking improvements to the Service.

 

46.

Devolved Highways Capital and Revenue Update 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 167 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports and updates Members as to current progress on these budget lines.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which provided the Highways Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget finance reports and updated members as to the current progress on those budget lines.

 

Members were informed that the revised Devolved Highways Additional Pothole Repairs Capital budget was £750,404.  It was explained that in September top?slicing was also applied to the Capital elements of the budgets and following this the current Devolved Highways Capital budget was £483,909.  The Committee noted that the Devolved Highways Additional Pothole Repairs Capital budget was now £451,959.  The Local Area Highways Network Manager reminded members that at the end of September top?slicing had yet to be applied to the Revenue budget.

 

The Committee was informed that at this stage the Devolved Highways Revenue budget was forecasting an accelerated spend and the Devolved Capital budget was also forecasting an accelerated spend at the financial year end.  It was explained that the local Highways Team was working to manage those and look closely at spends and forecasts wherever possible.  Officers expected that the full programme of capital works could be delivered by the end of the financial year.

 

The local Member for Roosecote raised a concern regarding flooding on Rampside Road.  The Highways Network Engineer confirmed the land referred to was owned by Barrow Borough Council and he would pass the information onto the Officer concerned.

 

The local Member for Hindpool asked for further information regarding the Barrow Sea Walls project.  The Local Area Highways Network Manager confirmed this was a small budget allocation to fund any minor works which were required on the Promenade at Walney. 

 

A discussion took place regarding the C6010 Ruskinville Railway No 64 scheme.  The Local Area Highways Network Manager explained this was structural works and confirmed there was an agreement in place with Network Rail to determine who was responsible for the costs.

 

The local Member for Roosecote asked for an update regarding the significant length of time Manor Road had been closed.  The Local Area Highways Network Manager confirmed that negotiations were still ongoing with English Heritage and members would be kept updated.

 

The local Member for Dalton North drew attention to a recent road traffic accident which involved an incident on North Road (junction of Jute Road).  He explained that constituents had raised their concerns that the barriers on Michaelson Road and Bridge Road cycleways had delayed the emergency services attending the scene and suggested this should be investigated further with the emergency services to try and alleviate any future problems.

 

The Chair of Barrow Highways Advisory Sub?Group raised his concerns regarding the lack of contact with the County Council from the local media with regards to a potential article about potholes in the local area.  The Local Area Highways Network Manager confirmed that he had contacted the County Council’s Communications Team with regards to this matter.  It was agreed that the Chair of the Barrow Highways Advisory Sub?Group  ...  view the full minutes text for item 46.

47.

Barrow Speed Limit Traffic Regulation Order pdf icon PDF 196 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Environment (copy enclosed).

 

The report sets out the responses to the statutory consultation and advertising of The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the Borough of Barrow-in-Furness) (Consolidation of Provision of Speed Limits) Order 20>< (“the Order”).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which detailed the responses to the statutory consultation and advertising of The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the Borough of Barrow-in-Furness) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) Order 20>< (“the Order”).

 

The local Member for Dalton North referred to the advertisement and asked why this had appeared in the Westmorland Gazette.  The Traffic Management Team Leader agreed to look into this matter and report back direct.

 

RESOLVED,     that The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the Borough of Barrow-in-Furness) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) Order 20>< be brought into operation as advertised, having taken into account the objections and representations which were received, and having also taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which are more specifically referred to in paragraph 7.2 of the report.

 

48.

Barrow Traffic Regulation Order - Variation Order (No 45) pdf icon PDF 219 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Environment (copy enclosed).

 

This report sets out the responses to the statutory consultation and advertising of the Order.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which detailed the responses to the statutory consultation and advertising of the Barrow Traffic Regulation Order – Variation Order (No 45).

 

The local Member for Ormsgill drew attention to the comments regarding the Town Centre and the lack of enforcement in the area and emphasised that any parking restrictions must be introduced and vigorously enforced in order to be effective.  The Traffic Management Team Leader explained that the Parking Team were working hard to improve parking enforcement and conversations would continue regarding increased enforcement.

 

The local Member for Hindpool referred to Crellin Street and raised concerns regarding the length of time this proposal was taking.  The Traffic Management Team Leader informed members that a Traffic Regulation Order was required and apologised for the delay.  It was agreed the Traffic Management Team Leader would look into this as a matter of urgency and a further discussion would take place at the next meeting of Barrow Highways Advisory Sub?Group.

 

RESOLVED,     that The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Barrow-in-Furness) (Consolidation and Minor Amendment of Traffic Regulation) (Order 2001) Variation Order (No 45) 20>< (“the Order”) be brought into operation as advertised, having taken into account the objections and representations which were received, and having also taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (more specifically referred to in paragraph 7.2 of the report).

 

49.

Barrow Area Planning Report pdf icon PDF 424 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Barrow]

 

To consider a report by the Assistant Director – Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update on its work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.  It also includes a financial statement in support of the work of the Local Committee for Members’ information.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report by the Assistant Director – Customer and Community Services which detailed information from across the Community teams including Community Development, Archives and libraries, and provided an update on work and agreed activity since the last meeting of the Committee.

 

The Committee received an update on the Make a Change Project; as this had now ceased members were recommended to de?commit the £50k back into the 0-19 budget.  It was explained that if this was agreed it would enable funding to be considered for other projects.

 

Members were then informed of the work of the Community Development Team with Barrow Borough Council to support engagement for delivery on the Town Deal and Levelling Up Fund developments.  In order to continue to effectively engage with young people and undertake targeted activity and events, the Committee was asked to consider awarding £5k towards delivery of the activity and events.

 

The Committee was informed of the Christmas Support project for vulnerable families and individuals which had taken place for the last two years and noted this year Project John would be leading this.  It was felt that more people would be affected this year by the affordability of Christmas due to the cost of living crisis, therefore, Barrow Local Committee had been asked to consider providing £10,000 funding to Project John, as project lead, to enable this to go forward.

 

The Committee received an update on Horizon Music who were one of the key organisations in the Make a Change project and had also delivered in partnership with RV Projects the successful HAF programme during summer.  Members were informed they would like to run Music Production/Personal Development workshops with young people providing two-hour drop-in sessions, once a week for six months.  The Local Committee was, therefore, recommended to consider funding this Project and to agree whether they wished to support it for four or six months.

 

Members received an update on the emergency referral process co-ordinated by Walney Community Trust through Spring Mount which was launched in September 2021 noting this was to provide a co-ordinated single distribution point for supporting families and individuals across Barrow Borough.

 

The Committee was informed that the total amount of funding received for the project through Barrow Local Committee and Barrow Borough Council had been in the region of £90k.  It was explained that given the success of this project, and the cost of living crisis, members were asked to consider providing an additional £15k funding from the 0-19 budget to enable this project to continue until March 2023.

 

The Chair of the Children and Families Partnership gave an update on the wide range of discussions which had taken place at the last meeting which included the HAF Summer Programme, update from the Furness Youth Work Partnership, Nursery Provision in Barrow and Local Government Reorganisation.

 

Members were informed of the concerns raised regarding the negative effects on young children, including school infant aged, of the recent pandemic and noted that  ...  view the full minutes text for item 49.

50.

Reports from Members Serving on Outside Bodies

To enable local members to give verbal reports on and share information in respect of outside bodies to which they have been appointed.

 

Minutes:

There were no updates from members serving on outside bodies on this occasion.

 

51.

Date of Next Meeting

The next scheduled meeting will take place on Monday 16 January 2023 at 10.30 am in the Conference Room, Nan Tait Centre, Barrow?in?Furness, LA14 1LG.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,    that the next scheduled meeting will take place on Monday 16 January 2023 at 10.30 am in the Conference Room, Nan Tait Centre, Barrow?in?Furness, LA14 1LG.