Venue: The LEP, Redhills, Penrith, CA11 0DT
Contact: Nicola Harrison Email: email@example.com
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
To receive any apologies for absence
Apologies for absence were received from Mr T Wentworth Waites.
DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST
Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises
1 Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.
2 Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses. (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.
3 Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority
(a) Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and
(b) Which has not been fully discharged.
4 Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority.
5 Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer.
6 Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)
(a) The landlord is the authority; and
(b) The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.
7 Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where
(a) That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and
(b) Either –
(i) The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or
(ii) If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.
In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.
A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).
No disclosures of interest were made.
EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC
To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda
RESOLVED that, the press and public not be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda.
There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch of Agenda
There was no public participation at the meeting.
To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 30 September 2021
Page 8, Minute 20, first line. Replace ‘18’ with ‘8’.
Page 13, Minute 24, 4th paragraph, last line. Replace ‘only useful in an urban area’ with ‘ more effective in a built up area rather than in a rural area.
RESOLVED that, subject to the corrections above, the minutes of the meeting held on 30 September 2021 were agreed as a correct record.
AREA PLANNING IN EDEN PDF 435 KB
[Electoral Divisions: All]
To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services
This report provides Local Committeewith an update on the work of each area, identified activity againstpriorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of thebudget position
Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services regarding Area Planning in Eden. The report provided Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlighted current issues and provided an overview of the budget position.
The Area Manager presented the report highlighting the impact that COVID was having on the work of the Community Team. He welcomed that the Control Outbreak Management Fund (COMF) would be used to meet the needs of the community and meet the strategic objectives of the Committee. He highlighted a number of events in Eden supported by the COMF. Members’ attention was drawn to the five grant applications before the Committee and were advised of outstanding applications. The Team was working jointly to identify people who would benefit from the COVID Hardship Fund. The Outdoor Space Fund was progressing well. An updated figure was presented for the Unallocated Resource or Variance for the 11-19 Budget. The Area Manager expressed his optimism for a Universal Service in Penrith.
Following a member query, the Network Manager, Eden advised that dropped kerbs may be considered on the B5288 Greystoke Road to Wildriggs and B5320 Ullswater so cyclists could use the route.
A member asked about the grant application from Barton and Pooley Bridge Parish Council regarding the supply of larger capacity bins to meet the additional demand for current services in the village created by the COVID pandemic. She was surprised that the application had been made as the District Council was the waste authority. She considered that there was an opportunity to change behaviour if recycling was encouraged. She supported the application in principle as she did not want to hold up the initiative and thought that it would benefit the community.
The same member supported the grant application from Inspira and asked officers to encourage Inspira to work with young people from the Pupil Referral Unit as they may be working with the same students. This would be progressed once information from Mrs Bell on the matter was received by the Community Team.
Discussion ensued on the grant application from Barton and Pooley Bridge Parish Council. A member queried how often the District Council emptied the bins as more frequent emptying could reduce the need for larger bins. The Area Manager suggested that the County Council’s Waste Prevention Team could be engaged to support waste reduction in the area.
A member asked if a recycling element was added to the application, would the grant application remain the same or would more funding be required. He considered that the Parish Council could be asked to support more recycling facilities. He provided background on the reason for the grant application.
Another member thought that that the County Council could be viewed as being hypocritical by providing bins before establishing the reason why there was a need for them. She offered her support for the grant application but highlighted that there was a fundamental behavioural issue ... view the full minutes text for item 37.
DRAFT EDEN HIGHWAYS BUDGET 2022/23 PDF 415 KB
[Electoral Divisions: All]
To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.
This report sets out the proposed draft programme of works which it is anticipated can be delivered through the devolved highways capital funding available for 2022/23.
A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Draft Eden Highways Budget 2022/23. The report set out the proposed draft programme of works which it was anticipated could be delivered through the devolved highways capital funding available for 2022/23. The proposed capital programme allocations were summarised in paragraph 4.3.1 and detailed in appendices 1, 2, 3, and 4 and 4a of the report.
The Network Manager, Eden presented the report and guided members through the proposed draft programme of works.
Discussion turned to traditional finger post sign refurbishment. A member welcomed that there would be upgrades and improvements to historic sign posts and questioned whether it was realistic for the scheme to retain the current level of funding. The Network Manager, Eden talked about the joint funding which would be used to clear the backlog of work.
A member mentioned local residents’ concerns about a number of issues on the A6 at Clifton and asked what action could be taken. The Network Manager, Eden advised on his meeting with a local resident regarding surface dressing and commented on a number of improvements programmed to take place at Clifton including improved lighting at the traffic island and an extension to the length of the visi rail outside Clifton school. Wider footpaths however, could not be provided as the width of the A6 could not be changed.
The poor state of the road at Winter Tarn due to farm detritus was raised by a member. The Network Manager, Eden advised that he had spoken to the new tenant farmer who had undertook to clean the road. This situation would be monitored by officers.
A member thanked the Network Manager, Eden and his team for their work in Eden. She welcomed the allowance of £20,000 to continue the preservation and restoration of traditional highway fingerpost signs. A member advised on a post that needed repaired in her division and would take this up with the Network Manager, Eden outside of the meeting. The Network Manager, Eden was congratulated on the preventative approach to highways improvement in Eden.
Discussion ensued on the protocol for members to use when dealing with an issue raised by a resident in a different electoral division to their own. A member commented on how she dealt with resident enquiries where there was a shared electoral division boundary and queried why a member would ask a question at Local Committee on another member’s electoral division. Another member commented on how as a member of Eden Local Committee, his role was to have the wider Eden interest at heart. It was raised by a member that it was courteous to work on behalf of a resident whatever their division was. A member considered it to be polite and courteous that if a resident contacted a member about an issue, it should be passed onto the relevant Local Member as they were elected to represent residents in that division.
The Chair proposed that the recommendations as ... view the full minutes text for item 38.
PENRITH VARIATION TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER PDF 470 KB
[Electoral Divisions: All]
To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.
This report seeks approval from Members to bring into force the Order which will vary the provisions of The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Penrith) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) Order 2021 to include the proposed changes referred to in the report.
A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Penrith Variation Traffic Regulation Order. The report advised Eden Local Committee of the representations received to the statutory consultation and advertisement of the proposed changes to the Penrith Traffic Regulation Order which were referred to at paragraph 3.1 of the report.
The Traffic Management Team Leader (Eden) presented the report, taking members through the proposed changes and explained that since the report had been published, a number of consultation responses had been received and these had been circulated to the Committee and published on the County Council’s website. A synopsis of the responses had been tabled at the meeting and members were given a short briefing on their content. Attention was drawn to one response from a resident who had been concerned about parking displacement to their property further up the road from the double yellow lines.
A number of members spoke in support of the proposed changes. One member expressed her hope that the Penrith Parking and Movement Study would resolve the parking issues in Penrith and highlighted that the proposed changes would benefit many people.
The Chair proposed that the recommendation as set out in the report be agreed. This was agreed by assent of the Committee.
RESOLVED that, the Local Committee, having taken into consideration the responses which have been received through the statutory consultation and advertisement process, along with the Officers comments, agree that The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Penrith) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) (Order 2021) Variation Order (No. 1) 20><, (“the Order”) be brought into operation, as advertised.
Leadership and Local Committee Chairs Minutes PDF 433 KB
To receive the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 27 September 2021
The chair presented the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 27 September 2021.
A member asked for an update to be circulated to the Local Committee on the Borderlands Energy Plan.
The Area Manager was asked how confident he was that the COMF money would be spent within the stipulated timescale and the Chair asked for confirmation if the 31 March 2022 was the cut-off date to spend the COMF money.
The Area Manager undertook to keep members updated on the Community Ownership Fund.
RESOLVED that, the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 27 September 2021 be noted.
UPDATE FROM REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES
To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies they attend on behalf of Eden Local Committee
Mrs Bell gave an update on the Gillford Centre Pupil Referral Unit. The school was performing well and was working closely on outreach work with pupils. She expressed her concern about children’s lack of access to mental health services. Mrs Bell and the Chair expressed their concern about the improvements needed to the CAMHS service in Cumbria. The Chair outlined the funding support the Local Committee gave to young people in Eden with anxiety.
Mr Hughes offered to circulate notes of a meeting he was due to attend relating to children and young people’s mental health in Eden, if he received them.
The Chair gave an update on the business conducted at the MASCG meetings held on 7 and 25 October 2021. He advised on the dates when Appleby Fair would be held in 2022. He commented on the policing which would be provided in Phase 1 of the Fair and how this would be managed as it coincided with the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations. Members were informed of the lessons learned exercise to be undertaken and on the 2021 Evaluation Report which would hopefully be in effect for the 2022 Fair.
The Chair thanked Tracey Moran, Community Development Officer, who had secured a secondment elsewhere in the County Council. She was thanked for her support to the Committee. The incoming Community Development Officer, Amy Frith was congratulated on her promotion to the post.
DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting will be held on 31 January 2022 at 10.30am
The next meeting of the Committee would be held on 31 January 2022 at 10.30am.