Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Eden
Monday, 28th September, 2020 10.30 am

Contact: Nicola Harrison  Email: nicola.harrison@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

18.

ROLL CALL AND APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Roll Call and to receive any apologies for absence

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence.

 

19.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for            profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                                         interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the    area of the authority; and

 

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one            hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

There were no disclosures of interest made on this occasion.

 

20.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda

Minutes:

RESOLVED,       that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda.

 

21.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch of Agenda

Minutes:

There were no public questions, petitions or statements made on this occasion.

 

22.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 103 KB

To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 14 July 2020

Minutes:

RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 14 July 2020 be agreed with the following amendments:-

 

Minute No 10 – Active Cumbria – on page 10 4th paragraph, in the sentence stating ‘reducing obesity and inactivity levels in early years and offered to attend etc....insert the words ‘the Senior Manager’ so it now read ‘in early years and the Senior Manager offered to attend’.

 

Minute No 13 – Additional Pothole Action Fund 2020/21 – on page 14 2nd paragraph change the figure £2,022k to read £2.02m and take out the repeated words ‘had been.

 

On Minute No 14 Resolution 1 - the Area Manager proposed an amendment to the resolution ‘The Chair invite the Leader and Chief Executive to a future meeting with the committee to discuss local planning’ which was then put to a vote and was carried.

 

On Minute No 15 – Update from Representatives on Outside Bodies – change the spelling of Guilford to Gillford.

 

23.

AREA PLANNING IN EDEN pdf icon PDF 115 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services.

 

The Area Manager’s report brings together information from across the Community teams including Community Development and Services, Public Health and Waste Prevention. This report provides Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of the budget position.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services, which brought together information from across the community teams including community development and services as well as public health. This report provided Local Committee with an update on the work of each area identified activity against priorities, highlighted current issues and provided an overview of the budget position.  

The Eden Local Committee Communities Budget allocation is based upon the 2020-21 Budget agreed by Council on 13 February 2020. The Local Committee is able to vire funding between budget lines during the course of the financial year, subject to any restrictions set by Cabinet and/or Council regulating the use of such funds. The Committee is not able to vire money from capital budgets to revenue budgets.

The Area Manager took members through the report.

He reassured members that the local multi-agency community group would continue to meet to review recovery and collectively manage/escalate any emerging issues. The team was currently talking to local support agencies about additional capacity that could be secured to further support Eden residents via local application of a hardship fund recently awarded to the Council from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

The Children and Young people working group met on 8 September. The group finalised their proposal to ask Local Committee to endorse Coaches in Mind – an emotional wellbeing and mental health pilot project in Eden – in support of the group’s strategic priority. The project, which would be delivered by Carlisle Eden Mind, aimed to deliver an online and face to face emotional wellbeing coaching and mentoring programme for young people in secondary schools in Eden. All five secondary schools had agreed to participate. Funding would enable 150 young people across the district to access the programme.

Members heard a grant application from Right2Work to enable a local scheme supporting young people with learning disabilities and complex needs into local outdoor work placements. The group supported the officer recommended amount of £4,618.60. More details on this project can be found in appendix J of the report.

On discussing the Local Committee’s 0-19 budget the CYPWG noted that, following grant awards to a number of excellent projects, the budget was now reporting a balance of £1,386.40.  Given the expected additional needs of young people recovering from COVID-19, the group would like to recommend that Local Committee agrees to vire £10,000 from Area Planning to 0-19 to continue to support youth projects in Eden at this important time.

At the Local Committee meeting of 31 October 2018, members considered a report on the establishment of Local Committee working groups. The report asked members to constitute three Eden Local Committee working groups and agree membership of these, in line with the County Council’s Constitution.

The Area Manager offered an apology to the members as he had inadvertently included an old version of the Terms of Reference for the working groups.  He asked that this discussion be deferred until the next  ...  view the full minutes text for item 23.

24.

LOCAL CYCLING AND WALKING INFRASTRUCTURE PLAN FOR PENRITH pdf icon PDF 118 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Penrith Town Divisions]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

This report informs Members of the progress on the production of a local cycling and walking infrastructure plan (LCWIP) for Penrith and to seek a contribution from Cumbria County Council Local Committee for Eden towards the programme.

Minutes:

Eden Local Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which informed members of the progress on the production of a local cycling and walking infrastructure plan (LCWIP) for Penrith and sought a contribution from Eden Local Committee towards the programme.

 

Cumbria County Council had tendered for consultancy support for the production of LCWIPs, appointing WSP in May 2020, and after securing local funding, work on preparing the first LCWIP in the programme began in Barrow-in-Furness as phase one of the commission.

 

The cost for a LCWIP for Penrith to be produced by WSP was £23,775, which, if it commenced in October 2020, should be completed in April 2021.

 

The officer informed members that discussions had been held with Eden District Council (EDC) and the Cumbria LEP to secure funding for the Penrith LCWIP, Cumbria LEP was providing £5,000 while EDC were considering the matter with a suggest even split of balance of £9,388 per authority.

 

The cost of the Penrith LCWIP was less than that of the other Cumbrian LCWIPs and reflected the work already undertaken in the Penrith Parking and Movement Study.

Prior to the Covid-19 emergency the Government had announced a £2 billion walking and cycling programme, confirmed in July 2020 with the publication of the ‘Gear Change’ programme.  The production of a LCWIP was a requirement to access funding from this stream.

 

The Lead Officer – Infrastructure Planning said that the LCWIP programme was considered important to the future recovery of the Cumbrian economy once the Covid-19 restrictions eased later in the year.

 

The Local Member for Eden Lakes commented that he hoped, if money was forthcoming via the Borderland Project that the cycling routes would be extended to include not just Penrith, but also the surrounding areas.

 

The Lead Officer responded to say that currently most of the local cycling and walking schemes were based around urban locations, not rural, and that the Penrith Scheme was the smallest of all of the proposals, which was a challenge to a county such as Cumbria.  The schemes being considered for Borderlands funding did include one for the Eden Valley.

 

The Local Member for Penrith North was concerned to see a reference in the paper which implied that Eden District Council was still considering whether to financially support this scheme.  Given the interdependency between both local authorities she would be disappointed if they did not support this project.  She asked whether it would be possible for officers to press Eden District Council for a decision on funding, so the plans could move forward at pace.

 

The Area Manager confirmed that officer discussions with Eden District Council had only been ‘in principle’.  The formal ask of Eden District Council for a funding contribution was currently underway.

 

RESOLVED,     that Eden Local Committee allocate £9,388 from the Area Planning budget to allow the development of a Penrith LCWIP. 

 

25.

Penrith Parking and Movement Study pdf icon PDF 128 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

This reportpresents information about the Penrith Parking and Movement Study.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Eden Local Committee considered a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which informed them that Cumbria County Council, Eden District Council and Penrith Town Council had jointly funded a project to develop a coherent and comprehensive parking and movement study for Penrith.

 

The overarching aims of the Penrith Parking and Movement Study were to understand how existing parking provision in Penrith could be improved, whilst seeking to enhance walking and cycling connectivity between car parking areas and the town centre, key employment sites and the bus and railway station.

 

The Penrith Parking and Movement Study had been prepared in four stages

 

·      Stage 1:      Baseline Information and Assessment;

·      Stage 2:      Identify Interventions;

·      Stage 3:      Develop Interventions; and

·      Stage 4:      Produce the Penrith Parking and Movement Study Report (and Non-Technical Summary)

 

It was acknowledged from the onset of the study that funding for the improvements was not currently available but that the study would provide a strong evidence base to enable the partner organisations to bid for and secure funding opportunities.

 

The eight packages of improvements identified in the Penrith Parking and Movement Study were:-

 

·      Package 1 - Additional Parking Capacity

·      Package 2 - Long Stay Parking in Penrith

·      Package 3 - Town Centre Parking

·      Package 4 - On-street Parking (Residential)

·      Package 5 - Penrith Town Centre Improvements

·      Package 6 - Addressing Nuisance Parking

·      Package 7 - Cycling and Walking Connectivity Improvements

·      Package 8 - Travel Demand and Technology Improvements

 

The PPMS presented the evidence base for a comprehensive package of interventions to improve parking and movement with Penrith, however, it was recognised that further scheme development would be required to enable their further assessment.  In addition it was envisaged that at Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) would be developed for Penrith and this could be supported by the PPMS, specifically in Package 7.

 

Members noted that to ensure momentum and to support the delivery of the interventions identified in the packages of improvements, an Implementation Group would be established to co-ordinate and monitor progress. The Implementation Group would co-ordinate requests for funding (and seek the relevant approvals from respective committees) to secure the delivery of the interventions. Updates on progress of the delivery of the interventions would be reported through the partner organisations’ committee structures when appropriate.

 

The Local Member for Eden Lakes commented that a number of the proposed schemes, such as the Park and Ride Scheme, and cycling schemes were Penrith based and he hoped they would be extended to include some of the outlying areas.

 

He also commented that the issue of congestion in and around Penrith still needed to be resolved, and he did not necessarily agree that the introduction of additional parking bays in Penrith was the answer.

 

The Infrastructure Planning Manager responded to say that this was currently only a study, and that more development of the schemes would be undertaken before any firm proposals were agreed.

 

The Local Member for Penrith West supported the project.  She had  ...  view the full minutes text for item 25.

26.

PROPOSED CHANGE OF AGE RANGE AT ARMATHWAITE SCHOOL pdf icon PDF 114 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Hesket]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – People (Deputy Chief Executive).

 

This report provides background on the current formal consultation being undertaken by the county council on the proposed change of age range at Armathwaite School to allow the creation of a maintained nursery.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – People, which provided background on the current formal consultation being undertaken by the county council on the proposed change of age range at Armathwaite School.  The change was proposed in response to the recent closure of a privately run nursery operating on Armathwaite School site.

Armathwaite Nursery Group had been operating from the school site for a number of years, but closed at the end of the Summer Term 2020. Since the start of the Autumn Term the governors of Armathwaite School had been providing a ‘governor-led’ childcare provision but they now sought to formalise the establishment of a maintained nursery by changing the age range of the school from the current 4 to 11 to 3 to 11.

The county council’s Early Years Team is supportive of the change, as it ensured that provision was retained in the village. Armathwaite School governors were also keen to retain maintained nursery provision in the village,

Armathwaite was a community school and it was the responsibility of Cumbria County Council’s Cabinet to make the decision on whether to publish notices following the consideration of responses received during the consultation process.

The consultation on the age range change started on 7 September 2020 and runs until 2 October 2020.

The Local Member for Greystoke and Hesket, whose division this was in, was supportive of the proposal.

RESOLVED,     that Eden Local Committee note the contents of the report and also note that the Cabinet will consider feedback from the consultation, including any response made by the Local Committee, before deciding on next steps.

 

 

27.

UPDATE FROM REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies they attend on behalf of Eden Local Committee

Minutes:

Updates were provided from Eden :Local Committee representatives on the following outside bodies:-

 

·         CRASH – this group was now meeting again, and the local committee representative asked all members if they had any issues in their divisions they wanted raised through the group.

 

·         Gillford Centre – a new headteacher was about to be appointed for the centre and she would keep members informed of the progress of this.

 

·         The Children’s Champion updated on the Foster Carer’s Steering Group he had recently attended, the Children in Care Council meeting, and also the Eden Youth Council meeting.

 

·         The Multi Agency Strategic Coordinating Group meeting had taken place on 21 September and discussions had focused on plans for the Appleby Horse Fair 2021

28.

ACTION LOG pdf icon PDF 34 KB

To update Members on progress of Actions agreed from previous meetings.

 

Minutes:

In considering the Action Log it was agreed that the following items be removed:-

 

·         15 January 2020 -  Minute No 71

·         14 July 2020 – Minute No 10

·         14 July 2020 – Minute No 11

 

RESOLVED that,     the Action Log be noted.

 

29.

DATE and TIME OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on 28 October 2020 at 10.30am

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on 28 October 2020 at 10.30am.