Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Eden - Thursday, 30th September, 2021 10.30 am

Venue: The George Hotel, Devonshire Street, Penrith, CA11 7SU

Contact: Nicola Harrison  Email: nicola.harrison@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

16.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence had been received from Mrs P Bell and Ms C Driver

17.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for            profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                                         interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the    area of the authority; and

 

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one            hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

Miss H Fearon declared an interest in Agenda item 11 Parking Permit Protocol – Penrith as she lives in Penrith, within a parking zone and would be affected the same as other residents by the proposals.

18.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda

Minutes:

RESOLVED that, the press and public not be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda.

 

19.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch of Agenda

 

 

Minutes:

There was no public participation at the meeting.

20.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 452 KB

To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 29 July 2021.

 

Minutes:

Page 11, Minute 18, 2nd paragraph, change ‘Funky’ to ‘Phunky’.

 

RESOLVED that, subject to the correction above, the minutes of the meeting held on 29 July 2021 were agreed as a correct record.

 

A member referred to the small number of members present at the 29 July meeting. He added that this was because the meeting was held during the school summer holidays. The Senior Democratic Services Officer explained how the meeting dates were programmed throughout the year in order for the Community Team to carry out its work then prepare reports in line with Access to Information legislation.

21.

Children and Young People Service Presentation to Eden Local Committee pdf icon PDF 282 KB

To receive a presentation from the Senior Manager Carlisle and Eden and MASH

Minutes:

The Senior Manager - Carlisle and Eden and SGHUB gave a presentation which provided an update to members on the Children and Young People Service in Eden. The presentation covered the following:

 

·         The areas covered by the service

·         The number of open cases in Eden

·         Trends in Eden (referrals, open cases, child protection plans and Children Looked After)

·         Reasons for contact – in Cumbria

·         What could members help with

 

The Senior Manager - Carlisle and Eden and SGHUB concluded the presentation by congratulating staff on the work they had undertaken during the pandemic. She acknowledged how social workers and staff had worked hard to ensure that the service continued to provide support to children in Cumbria during the COVID 19 pandemic. Eden along with the rest of Cumbria was now experiencing a lack of placements for children, particularly teenagers which reflected the national picture. A number of Committee members thanked staff for their work during the pandemic.

 

In referring to Child Protection Plans, a member asked if children had had more contact with staff, the number of Plans would have increased. The Senior Manager - Carlisle and Eden and SGHUB explained that although COVID had impacted on staff including work related stress, visiting and contact with families had been maintained where there were safeguarding concerns. The number of contacts during lockdown did reduce so some children may not have come to the Team’s attention until after lockdown but the number of children on a child protection plan was still on a downward trend.

 

After being asked about family networks, the Senior Manager - Carlisle and Eden and SGHUB explained the practice methodology for putting these in place, how they were identified and the role of Social Workers and other professionals in the network.

 

The numbers of Children Looked After pre and post pandemic were reported. After being asked by a member if mental health was an issue in Eden, the Senior Manager - Carlisle and Eden and SGHUB talked about how mental health was a national crisis and there was a lack of mental health resource including beds nationwide.

 

A short discussion took place on the number of Children Looked After (CLA) in Eden and how early help was an important factor in preventing children becoming CLA. The Early Help agenda was explained to members.

 

In order to understand how members could help the Senior Manager - Carlisle and Eden and SGHUB, a member asked why the number of referrals was so volatile. The Senior Manager - Carlisle and Eden and SGHUB stated that this was not clear. She explained how schools were the main source of referrals and it was not fully understood as yet, if lockdown had impacted on the volatility of referrals. Research would need to be undertaken to ascertain if the volatility was historical. Members were informed that rurality had an impact on referrals and rurality was an issue in Eden. A member highlighted that national holidays could have an impact on numbers.

 

How  ...  view the full minutes text for item 21.

22.

Local Committee Revised Terms of Reference pdf icon PDF 353 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services

 

This report informs members of the recently changed Local Committee Terms of Reference.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Senior Democratic Services Officer  presented a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services regarding the revised Terms of Reference for Local Committees. The Terms of Reference were attached to the report, which members were asked to note.

 

The reasons for the revised Terms of Reference were explained and it was noted that the Terms of Reference had been agreed at the meeting of full Council on 7 September 2021.

 

In expressing that she was not content to note the report, a member felt that the Local Committee’s power and independence was being eroded and she did not want to follow the policy of the Administration. She was unhappy that the power to protect residents from on street parking charges had been delegated to the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure. She did not know how the new Terms of Reference strengthened members’ ability to represent their residents or how it would improve the Committee’s decision making powers, particularly in relation to parking. She considered that the changes made to decision making functions were opposite to a devolution of power to localities.

 

A member stated that because of Local Government Review, it would be unlikely that car parking charges would be introduced in the near future. He highlighted that even if this was the case, it would not apply in Eden. He hoped that devolving more power to the localities would include Parish and Town Councils.

 

The Chair proposed the recommendation as set out in the report. This was agreed by assent of the Committee. Miss Fearon expressed that she was not happy to note the report.

 

RESOLVED, that the Terms of Reference of the Local Committee be noted.

 

 

23.

Area Planning in Eden pdf icon PDF 429 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services

 

This report provides Local Committeewith an update on the work of each area, identified activity againstpriorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of thebudget position

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services regarding Area Planning in Eden. The report brought together information from across the community teams including community development and services as well as public health. The report provided members with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlighted current issues and provided an overview of the budget position.

The report was presented by the Area Manager. He explained the work undertaken to date by the Community Team. Members’ attention was drawn to the allocation of £400,000 from the Contain Outbreak Management Fund (COMF) to Eden Local Committee. He stressed that officers were prioritising this work stream and working hard to award grants.  He stated how long it took to work up projects and the time taken to process grant applications. He outlined a number of pipeline projects currently being worked on by officers which would be considered for grant awards in due course. Members were advised how flexible the COMF was and how the criteria for awarding grants had changed since the initial allocation at the height of the pandemic’s restrictions. The criteria was explained to members. Members were invited to let the Community Team know of any groups or projects that would benefit from the COMF.

The Area Manager advised that Cumbria Community Foundation bid had been successful therefore the supplementary funding award from the Area Planning Budget line to extend the Linking Lives project into the 2022/23 financial year (as outlined in 4.12 of the report) would be £375.

A member referred to the amount of money left unspent in the General Provision Fund. He acknowledged that it was sensible to use the COMF to support projects and schemes but highlighted that some schemes had been committed to in 2019. The member asked how member representatives had been appointed to the Eden COVID Resilience Group. The Area Manager explained the appointment process to the Group. After acknowledging that the Integrated Care Community would be under pressure due to COVID, the member stated that there had been no communication from them during the pandemic. The member stated that there was no information about the public engagement events for the A592 Safer Roads. The Area Manager undertook to speak to the Capital Programme team to obtain information about the events. The member welcomed that Stainmore railway was being supported as its use would have the potential for easing climate change.

In reference to the Linking Lives project, a member queried how isolated people would be reached by the project and how would they know they needed support from the project. The Area Manager undertook to provide a written response on this question.

Vaccination rates in Penrith West was raised by the Local Member. She asked how the rates of vaccination were measured and what plans were in place to address the low rate of vaccination. The Area Manager undertook to provide a written response on this question.

The Chair proposed the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 23.

24.

HIGHWAYS PROGRAMME PROGRESS REPORT 2021/22 pdf icon PDF 388 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

This report presents the Devolved Highways Revenue, Devolved Highways Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget reports combined with programme progress information as detailed in the appendices attached to the report.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Highways Programme progress 2021/22. The report presented the Devolved Highways Revenue, Devolved Highways Capital and Non-Devolved Capital budget reports combined with programme progress information.

 

The Local Area Network Manager presented the report and talked members through the budgets as set out in 2.1 of the report. Members’ attention was drawn to the revised Revenue budget which had reduced by £53,417 due to an overspend in 2020/21. An additional £167,000 had been added to the Devolved Highways Capital budget. A £362,000 underspend in the additional pothole fund had been carried forward into this financial year. Funding from the 2020/21 Challenge Fund had been carried forward to allow the completion of outstanding schemes.

 

Members were guided through the appendices attached to the report which identified schemes, programmes and improvements in Eden.  A number of updates to the information in the appendices were reported. Officers were waiting for the final costs of Appleby New Fair and the 2020/21 NPRN Surface Dressing Programme had been completed. Good progress was being made on the Devolved Highways Capital Programme and Footway Maintenance Schemes. The Local Area Transport Safety Schemes were ongoing and the PRN schemes were progressing well.

 

Members’ attention was drawn to the £362,000 underspend brought forward from 2020/21 into the DfT Pot Hole Fund. £156,000 of this was being used to extend a number of the named schemes within Appendix 7 of the report, leaving £205,000 still to be allocated. The schemes that this would be spent on were currently being identified by the Network Team. It was noted that the Countryside Access Team, not the Network Team was delivering the footbridge replacement scheme funded through the Environment Fund. Three schemes were on track which were funded by the Environment Fund and COMF. The Castletown Bridge to Alba Proteins scheme had commenced with the two COMF schemes programmed to be completed sequentially.

 

The Local Area Network Manager explained that he was pleased with the current delivery of schemes taking place in challenging circumstances and it was noted that at this stage, half way through the year it was expected that there would be full scheme delivery of the 2021/22 Eden Highways Programme. He reported that some materials were difficult to source and material costs were rising.

 

A member commented on how Eden was trailblazing the way in Cumbria in terms of its innovative ways of working. The member welcomed that a sensible financial approach meant that programmes and schemes were being delivered efficiently and effectively in Eden.

 

After highlighting his concerns about the effectiveness of the new HIAMS system, a member stated that without the use of grid references, in a rural area it was difficult to identify the exact location of a defect or issue. He explained that he could not report a defect because of this and the system was difficult to use. He considered that a postcode was only useful in an urban area.

 

The Local Area  ...  view the full minutes text for item 24.

25.

EXPERIMENTAL TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER IN SUPPORT OF THE SCHOOL STREET INITIATIVE BEING INTRODUCED AT BEACONSIDE PRIMARY SCHOOL, PENRITH pdf icon PDF 404 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Penrith East]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

This report introduces the School Streets initiative, informs Members of the responses received following statutory consultation of the School Streets Initiative being introduced at Beaconside Primary School, Penrith and seeks approval from Members that Officers do not progress with the implementation of an Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (“ETRO”) in support of the School Street Initiative and, instead, agree to improvements for the area and surrounding streets being covered through the Penrith Traffic Regulation Order Review.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding an experimental Traffic Regulation Order in support of the School Street Initiative being introduced at Beaconside Primary School, Penrith. The report introduced the School Streets initiative, informed Members of the responses received following statutory consultation of the School Streets Initiative being introduced at Beaconside Primary School, Penrith and sought approval from Members that Officers do not progress with the implementation of an Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (“ETRO”) in support of the School Street Initiative and, instead, agree to improvements for the area and surrounding streets being covered through the Penrith Traffic Regulation Order Review with informal consultation anticipated to commence late 2021/22 financial year.

 

The Traffic Management Team Leader (Eden) introduced the initiative and explained the tight timescale to identify schools and complete the related work. The reason for choosing Beaconside School and how the initiative would work at the school was explained. The number of consultation responses and their content was reported. As 23 objections had been received, the Traffic Management Team Leader (Eden) considered that it would not work as it did not have the support in place to make it successful. Residents and parents had objected and the local PCSO was not in favour of the initiative. Members were asked to not progress the implementation of the Experimental TRO and instead address parking issues through the Penrith Traffic Regulation Order Review.

 

The Chair clarified that he had given his support to the initiative as the Local Member and school had been in support of it at the time of its inception. A member advised that the Local Member, although not present at the meeting, was in favour of the course of action being considered by the Committee.

 

A member asked why the school had been chosen as a potential site for the initiative and was keen to understand the number of both parents and residents that had objected. She thought there was a mismatch between what was desired by officers and the school and what would be practical at the location and how it would work in reality. The Traffic Management Team Leader (Eden) confirmed that funding for the initiative was Cumbria wide and if not used in Eden, would be used in another location.

 

It was suggested by the member that a number of lessons could be learned from this, such as were the locations practical and what the schemes would entail. The Traffic Management Team Leader (Eden) explained her intention to monitor how similar initiatives were working in other areas and explained how experimental TROs could be used at schools using a different budget for similar outcomes. One member highlighted a similar scheme presented to her a number of years ago which had also not been well received by residents.

 

The Chair proposed the recommendation as set out in the report. This was agreed by assent of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED that, the Local Committee, having taken into consideration the responses which have  ...  view the full minutes text for item 25.

26.

PARKING PERMIT PROTOCOL - PENRITH pdf icon PDF 494 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Penrith East, Penrith North and Penrith West]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

This report is to update and inform Members, following the recommendations set out in the Penrith Parking and Movement Study Report in relation to on street parking which highlighted the requirement for a protocol to be in place for the management of resident and visitor exemptions. It also seeks approval from Eden Local Committee to proceed to statutory advertisement and consultation on the inclusion of the proposed Protocol, which is attached as Appendix 1 of the report, into the Penrith Order referred to in paragraph 3.1 of the report.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Parking Permit Protocol in Penrith. The report updated and informed Members, following the recommendations set out in the Penrith Parking and Movement Study Report in relation to on street parking which highlighted the requirement for a protocol to be in place for the management of resident and visitor exemptions. The report also sought approval from Eden Local Committee to proceed to statutory advertisement and consultation on the inclusion of the proposed Protocol into the Penrith Order.

 

The Traffic Management Team Leader (Eden) explained that the protocol had been proposed because when permits were considered, there was no reasoning why they could or could not be given to the applicant. She expected to receive objections, particularly from residents who brought home a works van and wanted to park it outside their house. Work was underway with Eden District Council to identify alternative parking provision in these cases.

 

One member thought that the protocol would bring benefits to residents. She stated that where business premises were located on a road affected by Resident Only parking restrictions, it was not explicit if the occupier received the parking permit.

 

With regard to those residents with a garage at their property, a member highlighted that some residents used them for storage and the consultation may attract responses from them. The member queried how the total vehicle impact in Zone A had been calculated and wanted to understand how this would work in practice. She thought that if there wasn’t enough parking space on one road, there could be overspill onto another which could be in a different zone. The Traffic Management Team Leader (Eden) explained that this would be addressed at the design stage and could be remedied through a disc parking scheme.

 

A member asked for the map of the zones. The  Traffic Management Team Leader (Eden) undertook to provide this to the Committee.

 

A member awaited with interest, the response from Eden District Council regarding the use of their car parks. The member thought that vans could park in their car parks outside of office hours and therefore alleviate the demand for car parking spaces. It was noted that this had been drawn to the attention of Eden District Council officers.

 

The Chair proposed the recommendation as set out in the report. This was agreed by assent of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED that,

 

1             The Local Committee, having taken into consideration the matters contained in Section 122(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which are more specifically referred to at paragraph 7.2 of the Report, approves the draft Protocol for the Management and Operation of Residents Parking Exemption Scheme and Visitor Parking Permit Scheme (“the Protocol”) which is attached as Appendix 1 to the report, and give consent to Officers to progress to statutory consultation and advertisement of a variation to The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Penrith) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) Order 2021 (“the Penrith  ...  view the full minutes text for item 26.

27.

CUMBRIA COUNTY COUNCIL'S RESPONSE TO NATIONAL HIGHWAYS' STATUTORY CONSULTATION (PRE-DCO SUBMISSION) A66 NORTHERN TRANS PENNINE PROJECT pdf icon PDF 401 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Penrith Rural, Penrith West, Penrith East, Alston And East Fellside, Eden Lakes, Appleby, Kirkby Stephen]

 

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

 

This reportprovides Eden Local Committee with some background to the scheme and invites members of Eden Local Committee to raise comments to inform the Council’s response.

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding Cumbria County Council's response to National Highways' Statutory Consultation (Pre-Dco Submission) A66 Northern Trans Pennine Project. The report provided the Local Committee with background to the scheme and invited members to raise comments to inform the Council’s response.

 

The Senior Programme Lead presented the report and provided the background to the project. The public consultation process was explained and the contribution that the County Council and other local authorities’ (as host authorities) would have in the consultation process was reported. The planning process for the project was explained with it being noted that the Planning Inspectorate would determine the planning application in Spring 2022.  Members’ attention was drawn to the impacts identified so far. Members’ views would be added to these impacts, then presented to Cabinet. Officers would  produce a detailed technical report which would be issued as the County Council’s formal consultation response prior to the deadline of the 6th November 2021.

 

The Chair thanked the Senior Programme Lead for the help he had given to members and commented positively on the detailed briefings they had received.

 

A member commented on the importance of active travel to Eden Local Committee due to its positive impact on physical health and mental wellbeing. He considered that the project could provide a great opportunity for active travel across an East - West corridor by utilising de-trunked sections of the A66. The de-trunked sections could also be used to enhance connectivity for local residents to ensure their access to the road network was not compromised by the project. The member also highlighted that a number of diversion routes were in his division and these had been ignored by National Highways. He stressed the importance of this being addressed by National Highways. He considered it important that an audit be undertaken on the A685 from Brough to the M6 and that any improvements should be funded by National Highways before construction began.

 

A member asked how the project would address junction 40 capacity issues. She asked for assurance that this would be addressed and requested further detail about it. The member also referred to the consideration of a 50mph speed limit at Kemplay Bank. She wanted assurance that this would not impact negatively on the Fire Service and Police. The same member referred to local drainage/flooding issues, stating that residents at Skirsgill Lane suffered similar issues to those at Warcop. She asked what consideration had been given to residents living adjacent to the A66 particularly in relation to flooding. The member also referred to the Environment Agency’s flood defence work and asked what work had been undertaken to ensure that the A66 project did not impact on that.

 

The Senior Programme Lead explained what work the County Council, as Highways Authority, had undertaken in reviewing the plans. He reported on the proposed road configuration on the roundabout and surrounding roads and the modelling undertaken. National Highways had advised that  ...  view the full minutes text for item 27.

28.

Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Minutes pdf icon PDF 227 KB

To receive the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 5 July 2021

Minutes:

The Chair presented the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 5 July 2021.

 

RESOLVED that, the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 5 July 2021 be noted.

29.

UPDATE FROM REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies they attend on behalf of Eden Local Committee

Minutes:

An update was given on Outside Bodies.

 

Mr Connell reported that there had been a meeting of the Holehird Trust on 13 September 2021. A number of grants had been awarded. The Chair explained that there had been discussion about Leonard Cheshire.

 

Mr Dew advised on the business conducted at meetings of the MASCG held on 4 August 2021 and 27 September 2021. Appleby Horse Fair had taken place from 12 - 15 August 2021. Phases 1 and 3 had passed without significant incident. Due to a clash of date for the Fair in 2022 with the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, discussions would take place to fix a new date.

 

Mr Dew referred to the meeting of the Eden Health and Wellbeing Forum on 23 September 2021, details of which would be reported at the next meeting.

 

Mr Dew had attended the Eden Youth Council meeting on 5 August. It was noted that the officer who had attended Eden Local Committee earlier in the year had been seconded to Carlisle. The video made by young people would hopefully be shown later in the year.

30.

ACTION LOG pdf icon PDF 6 KB

To update Members on progress of Actions agreed from previous meetings.

Minutes:

There were no Actions to review on the Action Log considered at this meeting.

31.

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on 15 November 2021 at 10.30am

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Committee would be held on 15 November 2021 at 10.30am.