Agenda and minutes

County Council Local Committee for Eden - Thursday, 31st March, 2022 10.30 am

Venue: The LEP, Redhills, Penrith, CA11 0DT

Contact: Nicola Harrison  Email: nicola.harrison@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

57.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Ms C Driver, Ms H Fearon and Mr T Wentworth Waites.

 

58.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for            profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                                         interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the    area of the authority; and

 

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one            hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

Mr N Hughes declared a personal interest in Agenda item 6 - Area Planning Report as he was a Director of a number of Housing Associations in the Eden area.

 

59.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda

Minutes:

RESOLVED,   that, the press and public not be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items of business on the Agenda.

 

60.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch of Agenda

 

 

Minutes:

There was no public participation at this meeting.

 

61.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 229 KB

To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 31 January 2022.

 

Minutes:

Correction:

 

Page 10, Minute 49, Borderlands Place Programme for Penrith, 1st line. Remove ‘Acting’.

 

RESOLVED,   that subject to the correction above, the minutes of the meeting held on 31 January 2022 be agreed as a correct record.

 

62.

Area Planning in Eden pdf icon PDF 419 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services

This report provides Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlights current issues and provides an overview of the budget position

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding Area Planning in Eden which brought together information from across the community teams including community development and services as well as public health.  The report provided Local Committee with an update on the work of each area, identified activity against priorities, highlighted current issues and provided an overview of the budget position.

 

The Area Manager presented the report.  He drew members attention to the decisions to be made and reported on the budget position on a number of budget lines. The Area Planning Budget underspend would be carried over to the next financial year. The Children and Young People Working Group was thanked for its support in fully committing budgets for youth provision.  The COMF budget was fully committed to third sector projects and this had been a significant task.  The Environment Fund was fully committed. Funding allocations for the ensuing financial year would be considered at a member workshop. Officers were now working with community groups on cost of living schemes to promote support available and encourage people to access it.  The virement of money from School Crossing Patrols to the Area Planning budget was highlighted.

 

A member referred to a development at Portland Place which had been welcomed by residents but highlighted their concerns about the road width.  The member also wanted to understand the Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan timetable.  The member reported on a meeting with partner organisations which was looking to identify the gaps in provision and the issues relating to the availability of facilities available for young people in Penrith.  The Area Manager talked about the sharing of information which would take place on youth provision following the development of the Eden Youth Hub.  It was noted that the cost of living was becoming a big issue for residents.  The member asked that the Town and District Councils share information with the County Council so that residents could be provided with information on where they could go for help on that matter. The Chair commented on how the Community Team would be working on a response to the cost of living crisis.

 

The same member was concerned about the safety of the Lollipop Lady at Bell Lane pedestrian crossing. Discussion ensued on the lack of information given to her on roadworks in the area, on the Health and Safety issues arising from them and bad driving behaviour in the area.  The member urged that the issues be addressed before the start of the Summer school term.  The Traffic Management Team Leader - Eden undertook to review the placement of the pedestrian crossing and advised that associated traffic issues would be raised at the Eden CRASH Group.  The Vice Chair undertook to draw the matter to the attention of the Police and Crime Commissioner.  The Area Manager undertook to raise the issue with Orian regarding the Health and Safety Issues.  The same member asked that the tree planting scheme at Carleton  ...  view the full minutes text for item 62.

63.

Devolved Communities Budget pdf icon PDF 403 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services

This report outlines proposals, following a Local Committee workshop on 8 March 2022, to allocate the communities budget during the year 2022/23.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Local Committee’s Devolved Communities budget 2022/2023 proposed allocations.  It also outlined proposals, following a Local Committee workshop on 8 March 2022, to allocate the Communities Budget during the year 2022/23.

 

The Area Manager presented the report. He advised that the proposed budget had been established at the Committee’s March 2022 workshop. It was a starting point and money could be vired across budget lines throughout the year if required.

 

A member expressed his concern for the lack of youth service delivery in Shap. Whether the 0-19 budget and/or other funding could be used in Shap was discussed. The member sought assurance that the budgets would be fully spent in the ensuing year.

 

Members turned to the matter of Local Government Review.  A couple of members stressed the importance of it being known that until vesting day 2023, County Council members were the decision makers and represented their electoral divisions.  The sharing of information and raising awareness of local issues with the new Westmorland and Furness members was considered to be a positive way of handing over to the new authority.  Welcoming new members to the Area Planning Group was considered. Clarity of message and communication to the public that the incumbent members were the decision makers was considered to be essential.

 

A member suggested that Christians Against Poverty could play a positive part in supporting the work for the cost of living crisis.

 

Following a member question on the accuracy of population figures contained within the report given the number of new houses being built in Eden, the Area Manager commented that the data related to 2020 figures.

 

The Chair proposed the recommendations as set out in the report.  These were agreed by assent of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED,   that

 

                          (1)          £24,750 be allocated to Area Planning from the Local Committee base budget;

 

                          (2)          £18,000 be allocated to Community Grants from the Local Committee base budget;

 

                          (3)          £29,569 be allocated to the 0-19 Grants from the Local Committee base budget;

 

                          (4)          £10,000 be allocated to 0-19 Strategic Development from the Local Committee base budget;

 

                          (5)          £9,696 be allocated to the School Crossing Patrol Service from the Local Committee base budget;

 

                          (6)          £17,016 be allocated towards 11-19 Universal Services from the Local Committee base budget under the allocations described in paragraph 4.14 of the report;

 

                          (7)          the decision by Council to allocate an amount of £34,870 towards the Money Advice Service from the Local Committee base budget be noted;

 

                          (8)          the allocation of an Environment Fund of £200,000, which is a one-off allocation for 2022/23 only, be noted.

 

64.

HIGHWAYS DEVOLVED CAPITAL PROGRAMME FOR EDEN 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 414 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

This report sets out the proposed draft programme of works which it is anticipated can be delivered through the devolved Highways Capital funding available for 2022/23.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Highways Devolved Capital Programme for Eden 2022/23.  The report set out the proposed draft programme of works which it was anticipated could be delivered through the Devolved Highways Capital funding available for 2022/23.

 

The Local Area Network Manager presented the report. He provided updates on the Draft Carriageway Surface Treatment Programme and on the Draft Assessed Carriageway and Drainage Schemes 2022/23.  Members were informed that the Carelton Road works would be undertaken to avoid conflict with Northern Gas Network works in the area.

 

Discussion ensued on the clearance of drains.  A member commented on the extremely tight programme, that Parish Councils frequently complained about blocked drains and that there were no extra resources available for drainage.  The Local Area Network Manager undertook to provide the local Member with the progress made at Winter Tarn and the date for surface dressing at Haweswater.  The local Member requested works at Haweswater take place outside Tourist Season.  The Local Area Network Manager explained this was not possible as surface dressing was seasonal and the Council was tied to the contractors programme dates to carry out works in the Eden area.

 

The local Member asked that all works between Bampton and Shap take place outside of the tourist season.

 

The Local Area Network Manager explained the cyclical function of drainage works, how it was funded and what services were provided using the funding.  He confirmed that data was being compiled which would identify where the worst gullies were. A member raised that residents were unhappy with the number of flooding events.

 

Another member referred to the reduction in highway funding over the years and talked about how things may be done differently in future, particularly in relation to communications with the public so they were fully briefed on highways policy and how funding was spent.  A suggestion was made that the HIAMs system and the Highways Communications Officer could aid in advising the public on drain clearance and that there was a programme in place.

 

Following a member question on how it was handled, the Local Area Network Manager talked to members about the regulations for dealing with water run-off from private land. 

 

Mr Connell proposed that the recommendations as set out in the report be agreed.  These were agreed by assent of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED,   that

 

                          (1)          the apportionment of the Devolved Draft Highways Capital budget for 2022/23 be approved (as detailed in paragraph 4.3.1 of the report);

 

                          (2)          the list of named schemes (detailed in Appendices 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the report) be approved as a Draft Devolved Highways Capital Programme for 2022/23.

 

65.

HIGHWAYS NON- DEVOLVED CAPITAL PROGRAMME EDEN 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 379 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

This report is for information only and advises members of the County Council’s Draft Highways Non-Devolved Capital programme in Eden for 2022/23.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Highways Non-Devolved Capital Programme in Eden for 2022/23.  Members noted this was for information only and advised members of the County Council’s Draft Highways Non-Devolved Capital programme in Eden for 2022/23.

 

The Local Area Network Manager presented the report.  He advised that an additional scheme at Langwathby bridge had received central funding and the Local Member was in support of the scheme.

 

An update was given on the scheme planned at King Street.  This was unlikely to be completed in this financial year due to utilities work.

 

The local Member queried the surfacing scheme at Clifton South.  The Local Area Network Manager undertook to provide the provisional programme date to him.

 

The Chair proposed that the recommendation as set out in the report be agreed. This was agreed by assent of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED,   that the Draft Highways Non-Devolved Capital Programme in Eden for 2022/23 (as detailed in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report) be noted.

 

66.

EDEN HIGHWAYS REVENUE BUDGET 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 389 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

This reportrequests members to determine the distribution of resources among the budget heads within the highway maintenance revenue budget.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Eden Highways Revenue Budget 2022/23 which requested members to determine the distribution of resources among the budget heads within the Highway Maintenance Revenue budget.

 

The Local Area Network Manager presented the report.  There were no questions or discussion on this item.  The recommendation was agreed by assent of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED,   that the distribution of the Devolved Highways Maintenance Revenue budget for 2022/23 (as proposed in paragraph 4.3 and Appendix 1 of the report) be agreed.

 

67.

APPLEBY NEW FAIR TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER 2022 pdf icon PDF 476 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Appleby]

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

This reportseeks approval from Eden Local Committee to bring into force the proposed changes to the existing Traffic Regulation Order relating to Appleby Horse Fair.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding Appleby New Fair Traffic Regulation Order 2022.  The report sought approval from Eden Local Committee to bring into force the proposed changes to the existing Traffic Regulation Order relating to Appleby Horse Fair by the introduction of The County of Cumbria (Various Roads Eden Area) (Appleby Horse Fair) (Consolidation and Provisions Traffic Regulations) Order 20>< referred to in the recommendation in the report.

 

The Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden presented the report.  The Local Member gave his support to the Order and drew attention to the fact that the restrictions would only be in operation and enforceable as and when the relevant signs were displayed.  The Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden concurred and talked about the number of objections received during the 2021 consultation.  These had now been reduced to 0.  She believed that this was because emphasis had been made in relation to the operational information of the Order and because it was reactive.

 

The Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden and her team were congratulated for their excellent work. The Chair advised that the Order had been discussed at the MASCG.

 

The recommendation was agreed by assent of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED,   that the Local Committee agrees that The County of Cumbria (Various Roads Eden Area (Appleby Horse Fair) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) Order 20>< (“the Order”) be brought into operation, as advertised, providing no unresolved objections are received following the expiry of the statutory consultation period on 26 March 2022, whereupon a further report will be brought back to Local Committee in order that the unresolved objections can be considered.

 

68.

Eden Traffic Regulation Order Review pdf icon PDF 506 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All]

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

This report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Eden Traffic Regulation Order Review.  The report updated and informed members of the representations received during the informal consultation of the proposed changes to the current Eden Traffic Regulation Order and sought approval to proceed to statutory consultation and advertisement of the Order and proposals (as set out in paragraph 3.1 of the report).

 

The Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden presented the report.  She advised that the review should have been undertaken in 2021 but hadn’t due to the impact of the COVID pandemic and resourcing issues.  Members were informed about the responses to the consultation and that the major causes of residents’ concern in the Kirkby Stephen related to parking restrictions and residents’ parking. Concerns at Glendridding which related to resident and guest house visitors parking arrangements were explained.

 

The Chair thanked the Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden and her team for their work on this Order which was contentious in some places.

 

The Chair proposed that the recommendation as set out in the report be agreed.  This was agreed by assent of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED,   that Eden Local Committee, having taken into consideration the representations received through informal consultation, agrees for officers to progress to Statutory Consultation and advertisement of the proposals (shown on the plans attached as Appendices 1, 2a, 3, 4, 5a, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10a, 11a, 12, 13, 14, 15a, 16, 17, 18 and 19 of the report), by way of a consolidation and variation of The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, District of Eden) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations Order 2021 (as varied by The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, District of Eden) (Consolidation and Provision of Traffic Regulations) (Order 2021) Variation (No. 1) Order 2022 (“the Order”).

 

69.

Howtown Road 24hr Rural Clearway Update pdf icon PDF 390 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Eden Lakes]

To consider a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

This report is to update Members in relation to the Experimental 24 hr Rural Clearway and supporting No Stopping on Verge restriction Traffic Order, which was introduced in August 2021 along that section of highway in the Eden District known as ‘Howtown Road, Pooley Bridge’.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This item is recorded at minute 73.

 

70.

UPDATE FROM REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES

To receive a verbal update from members on any outside bodies they attend on behalf of Eden Local Committee

Minutes:

Mr Dew gave an update on the following:

 

He had attended the MASCG meeting on 28 March 2022.  He gave a short briefing on the business conducted there which included discussions about the overlap of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations and the Appleby Horse Fair.

 

He had attended the Holehird Trust meeting on 3 March 2022 where letting of the Mansion had been discussed and £11,000 of grants had been awarded.

 

71.

PRESENTATION: CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAU - CARLISLE AND EDEN pdf icon PDF 536 KB

To receive a presentation from the  Citizens Advice Bureau - Carlisle and Eden

Minutes:

Mr Auld from the Citizens Advice - Carlisle and Eden referred to his presentation on the Citizens Advice - Carlisle and Eden (CACE) which had been included in the Agenda.

 

He talked to member about what the CACE would be doing in 2022 and 2023 and how it would be responding to future challenges.  He talked about why giving advice was effective and how a follow up exercise had been undertaken nationally by the CACE on client satisfaction and how they had been helped by the CACE. A number of statistics were reported pertaining to this exercise.

 

Members were informed about how the CACE had responded to clients during the pandemic. It was noted that officers had worked remotely but would be returning to face to face interviews as required. Statistics were reported on how many people had been helped by the CACE on Eden in 2021 and it was reported that the CACE had helped residents increase their income and helped with poverty related issues.

 

The Local Committee was thanked for its support to the CACE.  An example of a client who was suffering from energy related poverty was detailed for members.  How they were helped and the positive outcomes achieved were reported.  The successes of this case showed the importance of quality and timely advice provided by the CACE.  Another example was provided relating to the support of a refugee who had been resettled in Eden.

 

Mr Auld talked about the difficulties that households would be facing  due to the rise in living costs and incomes not keeping up with inflation, as well as  CACE’s increasing support for people with mental health issues.  How the CACE was staffed and how clients were supported online was noted.  Members were informed about the joint working taking place with the NHS on supporting people with long COVID and on the specialist employment support for residents in Cumbria being undertaken in conjunction with the Director of Public Health.

 

After thanking Mr Auld for attending the meeting and praising the work of staff and volunteers, the Chair was pleased to note that the Local Committee helped to fund the CACE.

 

Following a member question on the return to face to face meetings, Mr Auld talked members through how successful remote working had been and that face to face meetings were limited to complex cases or for vulnerable people.

 

A member asked how issues such as the cost of living, particularly the increase in energy prices were affecting people’s lives.  Mr Auld talked about the work supporting people on these matters, particularly in relation to budgeting  and energy debt.

 

Volunteers and the appropriateness of their life skills and how they supported clients was briefly discussed.

 

Following a member question on how easy it was to attract volunteers, Mr Auld reported on the expected number of new volunteers the CACE had each year and how many dropped out after the first couple of months.  This was mainly due to changes in their circumstances.

 

The  ...  view the full minutes text for item 71.

72.

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on 27 May 2022 at 10.30 at the LEP, Penrith, Cumbria

Minutes:

It was noted that the next meeting of Eden Local Committee would be held on 27 May 2022 at 10.30 am at the LEP, Penrith, Cumbria.

 

73.

Howtown Road 24hr Rural Clearway Update REVISED REPORT pdf icon PDF 389 KB

[Electoral Divisions: Eden Lakes]

To consider a REVISED report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure.

This report is to update Members in relation to the Experimental 24 hr Rural Clearway and supporting No Stopping on Verge restriction Traffic Order, which was introduced in August 2021 along that section of highway in the Eden District known as ‘Howtown Road, Pooley Bridge’.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Howtown Road 24hr Rural Clearway update.  The report updated members in relation to the Experimental 24 hr Rural Clearway and supported No Stopping on Verge Restriction Traffic Order (ETRO), which was introduced in August 2021 along that section of highway in the Eden District known as ‘Howtown Road, Pooley Bridge’.

 

The Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden presented the report.  The ETRO was explained and a synopsis was provided of the consultation responses.  It was noted that the main issues of concern was signage clutter caused by the restriction, the need for regular enforcement and exemptions relating to form traffic.  It was highlighted that signage in the Parish of Martindale had been raised as a particular issue so the Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden would be meeting with the Martindale Traffic Group to discuss the proposals. She would also be seeking advice from a legal officer regarding the words relating to farm traffic. exemption of the ETRO and requesting additional support in relation to enforcement.

 

A short discussion took place on whether to consider the TRO again at the Committee’s September or November meeting for consideration.  Members decided on November 2022 to ensure the effects of late August bank holiday could be included as part of the report.

 

In supporting the need for the restrictions on safety grounds, a member expressed that rogue parking needed to be addressed.  He commented on residents’ hopes for the enforcement of restrictions and he thought that visitors to the area who had responded shouldn’t have been included in the consultation. He talked about the concerns of Parish Councils of potential vehicle displacement into other areas following the implementation of restrictions.  He considered that if the landowner expanded the car park at the foot of Hawse it could ease parking problems.  The Traffic Management Team Leader – Eden undertook to raise this with the landowner.

 

Officers were encouraged to let residents know that the Committee had considered all of the responses to the Consultation.

 

The recommendation as set out in the report was agreed by assent of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED,   that Local Committee agrees to The County Council of Cumbria (C3042 Pooley Bridge) (Known locally as Howtown Road) (Main Carriageway Clearway and Prohibition of Stopping on Verge) Experimental Order 2021 (the ETRO) remaining in place over the Spring/Summer months thus enabling the restriction to be in place during the tourist season and providing a true reflection of the benefits/impacts in the area and then review the restriction for a final time at the November Eden Local Committee making the decision as to whether the restriction is made permanent after its 18 months or not.