Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for South Lakeland - Tuesday, 24th January, 2023 10.00 am

Venue: County Offices, Kendal

Contact: Anthony Farrar  Email: anthony.farrar@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

61.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr J Brook and Mr R Bingham.

 

 

62.

Public Participation

There were no questions, petitions or statements at the time of despatch of Agenda

Minutes:

There was no public participation received for this meeting.

 

63.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any items on the agenda.

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

64.

Disclosures of Interest

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be           executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

            (b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial                                                   interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the         area of the authority; and

 

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one       hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

 

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).

Minutes:

There were no disclosures of interest made at the meeting

 

65.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 252 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 24 November 2022 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that,    the minutes of the meetings held on 24 November 2022 be confirmed as circulated

 

 

A Minute's Silence was observed upon the death of Councillor Arthur Lamb

66.

Heart of the Lakes Active Travel Infrastructure Strategy pdf icon PDF 211 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure which considered the Heart of the Lakes Active Travel Infrastructure Strategy, and allowed the opportunity to provide feedback.

 

The Lead Officer – Cycling and Walking presented the report.  Cumbria County Council was working with partners including the Lake District National Park Authority, Sustrans, National Highways and Cumbria Tourism, and has committed to develop an Active Travel Infrastructure Strategy for each of the 5 strategic corridors set out within the Cumbria Transport Infrastructure Plan – the first of these is for the Heart of the Lakes strategic corridor.

 

A number of infrastructure improvement projects had been identified for the Heart of the Lakes Corridor within the active travel infrastructure strategy, to better connect and extend the existing active travel network. Three of these proposals had been developed further through the ‘See More Lake District Cycling’ project, and prioritised for early delivery.

 

The three projects that were put forward for funding from the Borderlands Inclusive Growth Deal via a business case which was currently in development. The projects were as follows:

 

·      Grasmere to Dunmail Raise

·      Thirlmere West Side

·      Keswick to Threlkeld Extension. 

 

The proposals (and the Strategy itself) fell across both the two new unitary authority areas of Cumberland Council and Westmorland and Furness Council. The Strategy was also considered by Allerdale Local Committee, and would transfer into both new unitary authorities. Partner endorsement of the Strategy was also sought. Further information on each scheme is provided within the Heart of the Lakes Active Travel Infrastructure Strategy. The Strategy would support the See More Lake District Cycling business case being submitted to Government. The delivery of further infrastructure proposals and aspirations outlined within the Strategy are dependent on the Councils and partners securing future design and delivery funding.

 

The Chair noted that the existing Keswick to Threlkeld section was rebuilt after Storm Desmond and the proposed extension would build on a success story.  The Thirlmere West section was alongside the reservoir and would hopefully become a circuit.  The Dunmail Raise section was a missing link and there was no safe route North – South and would offer an improved North South route.

 

The Local Member for Ulverston East enquired about the Morecambe Bay corridor.

 

The Lead Officer – Cycling and Walking noted that an active travel infrastructure strategy will be developed by the Cycling and Walking team for the Morecambe Bay corridor, and this will pick up potential future projects.

 

The Local Member for the Lakes commended the efforts made and the section on Dunmail Raise was very important and remarked that he had emailed the Senior Programme Manager Cycling and Walking.

 

The Lead Officer – Cycling and Walking noted that he had replied to the Local member on one query and would respond soon on his second query.

 

The Local Member for Grange commented on the Morecambe Bay section and if dialogue with Network Rail had begun about Arnside Viaduct.

 

The Lead Officer - Cycling and Walking would  ...  view the full minutes text for item 66.

67.

Area Planning pdf icon PDF 529 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services

 

This report provides information and offers recommendations to the Local Committee for approval from meetings of the Strategic Planning Working Group and the Children and Young Peoples Working Group. It also updates the Local Committee on previously agreed activity supported with the latest financial statement.

 

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Assistant Director - Customer and Community Services regarding Area Planning in South Lakeland. The report provided service information and offered recommendations to South Lakeland Local Committee for approval from the meetings of the following working groups: Strategic Planning Working Group held on 14 December 2022 and the Children and Young People’s Working Group held on 5 December 2022. The report also provided Local Committee with an update on activity against agreed priorities and provided an overview of the current budget position.

The Area Manager presented the report. She drew members’ attention to the Kendal Youth Hub and that the grant was £7,020 and not £7,060.  She also drew members’ attention to the Environment Fund and COMF schemes in Appendix D, which were being delivered and within budget and the £31,530 additional funding from Department of Work & Pensions.  The Local Area Team were currently working with communities to understand  what additional support was needed for Food Hubs and Warm Spots.

 

The Chair gave a massive thanks to the Area Manager and the Team.  The Environment Fund and COMF schemes had been a huge piece of work for the team and it was likely the schemes would be completed.

 

The Local Member for Kendal Nether praised David Benson for his work and drew the members’ attention to the Children and Young People’s Working Group and noted that there had been very good reports from the Youth Parliament and a very good update from Public Health especially on the suicide safe schools programme.

 

The Local Member for Grange noted that it was important to consider that rural areas required funding as much as urban areas.  He commented on the funds and how much was unallocated so that communities can receive the maximum benefit.

 

The Area Manager remarked that it was approximately £100,000 broken down into £30,000 general provision, economic initiatives & School Crossing Patrols, £48,000 Community & Resilience Grants, £35,000 additional Cost of Living funds recently received.  She noted that while the Local Committee had been retaining funds to ensure there was enough to support communities throughout the year, and particularly through the winter months, the Local Committee had received large additional sums during the year contributing to the current surplus.  It is important to ensure these funds are targeted appropriately and to best effect such as our Food Hubs, Warm Spots and also considering  schools which have a high pupil premium percentage, which would ensure an appropriate spread across the communities of the South Lakeland area.

 

The Local Member for Ulverston West requested an update on the pollinators scheme and could the School Crossing Patrol money be used in other areas.

 

The Area Manager noted there was no update as a proposal was currently being worked up  and the school patrol underspend  could be pooled into other budgets.

 

The Local Member for High Furness commented on flashing beacons and had the upgrade work been completed.

 

The Area Manager noted that work was in progress, which was confirmed  ...  view the full minutes text for item 67.

68.

Highways Devolved Revenue and Capital Update Report pdf icon PDF 183 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

This report provides details of the Local Committee’s Highways Revenue and Capital and Non-Devolved Capital Budgets.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the 2022/23 Highways Devolved Revenue and Capital Update Report.  The report presented the Highways Devolved Revenue and Devolved Capital and Non-Devolved Capital Budget finance reports and updated members as to current progress on those budget lines as detailed in the appendices attached to the report.

The Local Area Network Manager South Lakeland presented the report and drew out the key messages for members.

 

The Chair commented that there was underspend on cleansing an overspend on Pot Holes and queried if they were linked. He noted that there was spend on Workington Safer Streets and Whitehaven Safer Streets.

 

The Local Area Network Manager South Lakeland remarked that the cleansing budget had been based on historical spend and contractor resource had been obtained to resolve this issue.  The Local Area Network Manager South Lakeland would investigate on Safer Streets and respond.

 

The Local Member for Kent Estuary noted that there was no detail in Appendix 2 and commented that it would be helpful for detail so that members can see what work is happening in their division.

 

The Local Area Network Manager South Lakeland commented that members works were agreed with the relevant members and Appendix 2 is just an overview.  He noted that the Westmorland & Furness Cabinet Member for Highways and Assets was looking at the next year programme of works.

 

The Local Member for Kendal Strickland and Fell noted that Highways were looking at the plan for next year and the Highways Strategic Board would look at the plan for approval and that there was an ambition for the public to be able to view online what work is planned in their area.

 

Mr Hallatsch commented on cleaning of gullies and waste pipes.

 

The Local Area Network Manager South Lakeland remarked that Cumbria County Council would only empty the surface water gullies as they do not have the certification for foul water systems which remained with United Utilities.

 

The Local Member for Upper Kent commented on street lighting and the importance of knowing who had the responsibility for which lights.  He also noted that the Streetworks Management team was very important and that it was crucial to have a strong Streetworks Management team to ensure that roads were repaired properly because no council should subsidise utility company work.

 

The Local Member for Kendal Strickland and Fell noted the comments and remarked that when Streetworks do report reinstatement work it is followed up.  He sought clarification on the verge maintenance spend.

 

The Local Area Network Manager South Lakeland noted there had been an incorrect coding to verge maintenance that should have been charged to COMF fund.

 

 

RESOLVED that, Local Committee notes the revenue and capital budget allocations for 2022/23 and the commitments and expenditure recorded to the end of November 2022 and shown in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report.

 

69.

Highways and Transportation Working Group pdf icon PDF 197 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

This report presents the minutes of the meeting of the Highways and Transportation Working Group held on 7 December 2022 and brings forward recommendations for consideration by the Local Committee.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Highways and Transportation Working Group meeting held on 7 December 2022. The report provided the notes and included recommendations for consideration by the Local Committee.

The Chair of the Highways and Transportation Working Group presented the report and moved the recommendations as set out in the report.

The Chair of the South Lakeland Local Committee noted that in the last paragraph on page 110 it should read “work undertaken at Rannoch Moor” not work undertaken at Rannet Moor”.

The Local Member for Grange commented on the good news on the scheme at Windermere Road.

Mr Hallatsch requested information regarding the Orrest Farm development at Windermere. The Local Area Network Manager South Lakeland agreed to arrange for colleagues in the Flood and Development Control Team to contact Mr Hallatsch.

The Chair of the Highways and Transportation Working Group remarked that training should be provided for members so that they can understand the impact development has on infrastructure.

The Chair presented the recommendations to the Local Committee. These were agreed by assent of the Committee.

RESOLVED that,

1             Local Committee noted the Minutes of the Working Group meeting of 7 December 2022 which are attached as Appendix 1 to the report

 

2             Local Committee noted the details provided in appendices 1 and 3 of the Working Group report from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (attached as appendix 2 of the report) which gave a Flood and Development Management Update and the Local Committee notes that there are no additional comments in the Appendices to bring to the attention of Local Members. Any significant comments, changes and/or amendments will be highlighted in subsequent and future reports to the Highway and Transportation Working Group.

 

 

 

70.

Consolidation of existing Traffic Regulation Order - Ambleside pdf icon PDF 210 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Ambleside Traffic Regulation Order and sought approval from South Lakeland Local Committee to consolidate the Traffic Regulation Orders referred to in the Recommendation.

 

 

RESOLVED that,     the Local Committee agreed that The County Council (Various Roads, Ambleside) (Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) Order 2023 (“the Consolidation Order”), be brought into operation, the effect of which will be to consolidate the restrictions and provisions of the following Orders, without any change of substance: -

 

i) The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Ambleside) (Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) Order 2003;

 

ii) The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Ambleside) (Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) Order 2003 Variation Order 2007;

 

iii) The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Ambleside) (Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) (Order 2003) Variation (No. 2) Order 2012;

 

iv) The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Ambleside) (Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) (Order 2003) Variation (No. 3) Order 2018;

 

v) The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Ambleside) (Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) (Order 2003) Variation (No. 4) Order 2019;

 

vi) The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Ambleside) (Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) (Order 2003) Variation (No. 5) Order 2022.

 

 

71.

Consolidation of existing Traffic Regulation Order -Grasmere pdf icon PDF 208 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the Grasmere Traffic Regulation Order and sought approval from South Lakeland Local Committee to consolidate the Traffic Regulation Orders referred to in the Recommendation..

 

RESOLVED that, the Local Committee agreed that The County Council (Various Roads, Grasmere) (Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) Order 2023 (“the Consolidation Order”), be brought into operation, the effect of which will be to consolidate the restrictions and provisions of the following Orders , without any change of substance: -

 

i)             The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Grasmere) (Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) Order 2018; and

ii)            The County of Cumbria (Various Roads, Grasmere)(Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) (Order 2018)

Variation (No. 1) 2018.

72.

Consolidation of existing Traffic Regulation Order -South Lakeland Area pdf icon PDF 209 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the South Lakeland Area Traffic Regulation Order and sought approval from South Lakeland Local Committee to consolidate the Traffic Regulation Orders referred to in Appendix 1 of the report.

 

RESOLVED that,     the Local Committee agreed that The County Council (Various Roads, South Lakeland Area) (Consolidation of Traffic Regulations) Order 2023 (“the Consolidation Order”), be brought into operation, the effect of which will be to consolidate the restrictions and provisions of the Orders listed in Appendix 1 to this report, without any change of substance.

 

 

73.

Consolidation of existing Traffic Regulation Order- Speed Limits pdf icon PDF 212 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure

 

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure regarding the South Lakeland Area Speed Limits Traffic Regulation Order and sought approval from South Lakeland Local Committee to consolidate the Traffic Regulation Orders referred to in the Recommendation.

 

RESOLVED that,     That the Local Committee agreed that The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the district of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provisions of Speed Limits) Order 2023 (“the Consolidation Order”), be brought into operation, the effect of which will be to consolidate the restrictions and provisions of the following Orders, without any change of substance: -

 

i.              The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the District of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) (Order 2018) Variations Order (No.1) 2018

 

ii.            The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the District of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) (Order 2018) Variations Order (No.2) 2019

 

iii.           The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the District of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) (Order 2018) Variations Order (No.3) 2019

 

iv.           The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the District of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) (Order 2018) Variations Order (No.4) 2021

 

v.            The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the District of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) (Order 2018) Variations Order (No.5) 2021

 

vi.        The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the District of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) (Order 2018) Variations Order (No.6) 2021

 

vii.       The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the District of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) (Order 2018) Variations Order (No.7) 2022

 

viii.      The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the District of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) (Order 2018) Variations Order (No.8) 2022

 

ix.        The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the District of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) (Order 2018) Variations Order (No.9) 2023

 

x.         The County of Cumbria (Various Roads in the District of South Lakeland) (Consolidation and Provision of Speed Limits) (Order 2018) Variations Order (No.10) (Staveley) 2022

 

74.

Community Development and Public Health Activity - Update pdf icon PDF 1 MB

[Electoral Divisions: All South Lakeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director - Corporate, Customer and Community Services

 

This report details the Public Health Activity undertaken by the South Lakeland Area Support Team and Locality Public Health Manager

 

Minutes:

A report was considered from the Assistant Director - Customer and Community Services regarding a Community Development and Public Health Activity update. The report drew attention to key Community Development and Public Health Activity undertaken by the South Lakeland Area Support Team and the Locality Public Health Manager.   

The Public Health Locality Manager presented the report. He drew members’ attention to the work done from 2017 and the significant investment in community groups and the high level of take-up for the Covid vaccine in South Lakeland and the high number of community groups in South Lakeland.

 

The Local Member for Kendal Nether noted that it was important to continue to support the community groups as they reach where statutory services cannot.

 

The Local Member for Kendal Castle commented on young men’s mental health and work done by Westmorland FA and he remarked on Andy’s Man Club which has recently started in South Lakeland.

 

The Local Member for Grange remarked that in every South Lakeland Cumbria County Council division voluntary groups have stepped up to help.

 

The Chair thanked the Public Health Locality Manager for his update and the way he brought the figures to life.

 

75.

Partner Organisations

75a

Outside Bodies

To receive feedback from members on the outside bodies that they serve, and from the Local Member Champions.

Minutes:

There were no reports made to this meeting on Outside Bodies

 

75b

Children's Champion

Update by the Children’s Champion.

Minutes:

Mrs Evans presented her report as the Committee’s Children’s Champion. She remarked on the Corporate Parenting Board on 15 December where a care leaver demonstrated her emotion cards.  The cards were used to help express feelings.  They had been nominated for a national competition and had achieved runner-up.  56 hampers had been delivered in the South Lakeland area, the snoodie and Morrisons gift cards were particularly appreciated.  The children and young people requested that they were recognised as unique individuals and to celebrate their differences and to change the term Care Leavers to Care Experienced.

 

The Local Member for Ulverston East had raised the issue of child exploitation at the Children and Young People’s Working Group and Mrs Evans was pleased that a Complex Safeguarding Team was being set up and would be led by Jon Taylor in Westmorland & Furness. She commented that the pandemic had made matters worse and it was very important to encourage this work.

 

The Chair remarked that Westmorland & Furness Council will be very pleased to have Mrs Evans’ experience.

 

The Local Member for Lyth Valley thanked Mrs Evans for all her work and how she kept South Lakeland Local Committee informed.

76.

Date of Next meeting

The next meeting will be held on 21 March 2023 at 10.00am at County Offices, Kendal.

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Local Committee would be held on 21 March 2023 at 10.00am