Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland
Tuesday, 24th November, 2020 10.15 am

Venue: via Teams

Contact: Lorraine Davis  Email: lorraine.davis@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

30.

ROLL CALL AND APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To carry out a roll call of members and officers and receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

All of the above members and officers were present at the meeting.  There were no apologies for absence received for the meeting.

 

31.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

Mr G Roberts declared a non pecuniary interest in Agenda Item No 4 – Public Participation as he is a member of Whitehaven Town Council.

 

Mr A Lamb declared a personal interest in Agenda Item No 13 – Copeland Champions Update - as an employee of North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust.

 

32.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

33.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There are no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed a statement from Mr Gracey, read out by the Local Member for Bransty.

 

“This email was sent by Mr Gracey on 9 September this year

 

Dear Mr Boyce (that is the solicitor at Copeland Borough Council)

 

In reply to your enclosed email could you give me a copy of the report back from the consultant, especially regarding the matter of the road starting at Harras Moor leading down to Wellington Row.

 

When I ask about a safety audit for this stretch of road I’m told that there has been two safety audits but surly that is “a play on words”. The “first” was compiled by WYG who were representing the applicant, the second by Arup, which as you state was a methodology exercise, neither was Independent.  Is it not also a fact that CCC Highways take these surveys as best practice, and refer to the survey as a Traffic Survey not a safety audit. Has there been any safety audits done and if they have can I have a copy. 

 

You will remember I sent you a series of photos highlighting serious safety issues with the road, were these discussed with the consultant? and once again is there documentation of his response?

 

Yours in anticipation Mike Gracey.

 

Now the reply back from Mr Boyce sent on 9 October 2020

 

“Thank you for your email. My apologies for the delay in replying.

 

In respect of Harras Moor no safety audit has been undertaken. County Highways, the applicant’s highway engineers and the Council’s independent highway engineer all conclude that there are no highway issues of concern which warrant the application being refused. Safety audits of course come later and the ARUP report does note that at an appropriate point in the design of highway connections and any approved mitigation schemes that ‘an independent Road Safety Audit should be undertaken at the earliest opportunity to ensure you that the designs adequately consider all safety issues’.

 
With regard to the photos you sent in I confirm that these areas – along Harras Road and beneath the bride area were inspected by the Council’s consultants with comments in section 4.3 of their report.

  
Signed Clinton Boyce, Copeland Borough Council

 

The Chair thanked Mr Gracey and gave the following response:-

 

Can I thank Mr Gracey for sharing the detail of your response from Copeland Borough Council which has duly been recorded. The planning application I believe Mr Gracey is referring to is currently being reviewed by the developer.

 

Mr Gracey will also recall this matter was discussed in length at Copeland Highways Working Group in February where it was resolved and I quote “that given Copeland Borough Council were working on the Local Plan, which we would continue to support, in particular a Transport Improvement Study as part of the evidence base, It was subsequently agreed not to commission an independent safety audit report as it could potentially undermine this work. 

 

34.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 74 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 14 September 2020 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

An addition to Minute 28 – Nuclear Issues – to include “and be referred to Cabinet” in the third sentence of the second paragraph was agreed.

 

RESOLVED,that, subject to the inclusion of the above, the minutes of the meeting held on 14 September 2020 be agreed as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

35.

Highways Asset Management Strategy 2020 - 2025 pdf icon PDF 83 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update on the Cumbria Highways Asset Management Strategy which was approved by Cabinet in July 2020.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure presented a report which provided an update on the Cumbria Highways Asset Management Strategy that had been approved by Cabinet in July 2020.  The Strategy had been developed to improve the management of the Council’s highways assets and allowed for longer term planning taking into consideration customer needs, local priorities and asset condition whilst making the best use of the available resource.  Members noted the Strategy set out how the Council would deliver a Highways Services over the next five years and would drive decisions about investment in the highway network and the direction for future models of service delivery.  The Strategy, together Cumbria Highways Delivery Plan, was appended to the report.

 

It was highlighted to members that to maximise funding opportunities the Council would need to continue to demonstrate it was following good asset management practice, efficiency measures and continuous improvement across all aspects of the Highway Service.  The Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure informed members that the Strategy was aligned to the Council Plan and outlined the new ways of working.  The objectives included improving customer access to information, working alongside members, community groups, parish and town councils and District Councils to deliver outcomes for the benefits of communities, using innovation such as plastic roads, reducing the impact of climate change/carbonisation, adopting a preventative approach to address road condition and investing in digital solutions. 

 

In conclusion, Members heard that engagement with members through Highways Working Groups and Local Committees would continue throughout the implementation of the Strategy and would in particular seek their input in reviewing service standards and priorities which were contained within the Highways Asset Management Delivery Plan, developed alongside the Highways Asset Management Strategy.

 

The Local Member for Egremont North and St Bees highlighted the need for improvements on the A595 to meet the Strategy’s objectives and felt like a full system review of this strategic corridor was necessary. In order to progress this the Local Member suggested a seminar be arranged for all members, Highways England and interested parties to look at the whole route and the establishment of a joint local committee working group designed to address specific local issues on the none trunked section of the road.  The Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure agreed to take these forward through the Area Manager.  The Senior Manager - Highways Assets and Strategy identified further funding opportunities that would be available from the Department for Transport (DfT), supported by Transport for the North.

 

The Local Member for Cleator Moor West raised the issue of adverse weather events, the protection of highway assets and asked about joint working with partners on this.  The Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure advised on joint working with the Environment Agency, United Utilities and District Councils in the Council’s role of Lead Local Flood Authority   The Senior Manager – Highways Assets and Strategy outlined funding that had been received to assist with resilience and bridge repairs.  A member highlighted  ...  view the full minutes text for item 35.

36.

Copeland Transport Improvements Study pdf icon PDF 121 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report seeks the Local Committee endorsement of the Highways Working Group’s recommendation to the Committee that the proposed Copeland Transport Improvements Study is commissioned and that a contribution of £30,000 to the cost of the Study (being £60,000) is provided.

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Programme Lead, Infrastructure Planning (the officer) , seeking endorsement of the Highways Working Group’s recommendation that the proposed Copeland Transport Improvements Study was commissioned and that a contribution of £30,000 to the cost of the Study, which was £60,000, was provided.  Members noted that Copeland Borough Council had confirmed that they had allocated and committed match funding of £30,000 for the Study.

 

Members were informed of the purpose of the Study, which was to identify the highways and transport infrastructure necessary to facilitate the delivery of the development sites proposed in the draft Copeland Local Plan and to set out indicative costs for these.  The officer reported that it was anticipated that the proposed improvements would include junction improvements, together with new walking and cycling links.  Once completed, members noted that the Study would be used to inform the preparation of an Infrastructure Delivery Plan to evidence requests for developer contributions and to support funding applications for infrastructure improvements.

 

In response to questions, the officer confirmed that the County Council would appoint the consultants and the Study would be aligned to existing pieces of work to avoid duplication. 

 

RESOLVED,that the contribution of £30,000 to the cost of the Transport Improvements Study be agreed.

37.

2020/21 LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED HIGHWAYS BUDGET pdf icon PDF 103 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Devolved Budget Finance figures and includes an update on the Highways Revenue and Capital Programme for Copeland.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Local Area Network Manager presenting the highways devolved budget finance figures and an update on the highways revenue and capital programme for Copeland. 

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  the devolved revenue and capital budget allocations for 2020/21 and the commitments and expenditure recorded in the appendices to the report be agreed and kept under review;

 

(2)  the highways revenue budget, currently forecasting a £16,416 overspend, be noted;

 

(3)  the highways devolved capital budget, forecasting a £2,033 underspend, be noted.

 

38.

2021/2022 Devolved Highways Capital Budget pdf icon PDF 109 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report contains proposals for the devolved Capital programme for 2020/21 based on assumed funding allocation of £2,049,665.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Local Area Network Manager presented a report on the devolved capital programme for 2020/21 based on assumed funding allocation of £2,049,665.  Members noted that the provisional programme was tabled at Copeland Highways Working Group on 13 October for information.  Following discussion at the Working Group, the officer informed members that confirmation of the devolved highways budget allocations for 2021/22 were attached at Appendix 1 to the report.

 

The CALC representative raised issues of surface water and drainage issues on the main street in Ravenglass.  The Local Area Network Manager agreed to investigate this and liaise directly with the Chair and CALC representative on this.

 

RESOLVED,that the proposed devolved capital programme of works for 2021/22, in the attached appendix to the report, subject to Cabinet’s confirmation of the allocations for 2021/22, be agreed.

 

39.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 97 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides details of the meeting of the Highways Working Group held on 13 October 2020 and presents recommendations for the Local Committee to consider.  

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report giving details of the outcome of the meeting of the Copeland Highways Working Group held on 13 October 2020.  The minutes from that meeting were appended to the report.

 

The Local Area Network Manager informed members that the initial meeting to assess options to improve the operation of traffic around Whitehaven Campus had been postponed but was rescheduled for 30 November.

 

RESOLVED,that the minutes of the meeting of the Highways Working Group held on 13 October 2020, appended to the report, be noted.

 

40.

AREA PLANNING REPORT pdf icon PDF 177 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update of activity undertaken by the Communities Team since its last meeting. It is also to advise Members on their current budget position. This report makes reference to the current COVID 19 Response and recovery activities.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Area Manager with an update of activity undertaken by the Communities Team since the last meeting of the Local Committee.  Members were also advised on their current budget position.  The report made reference to the current Covid 19 response and recovery activities.

 

The Area Manager outlined the work of the Copeland Community Resilience Group/Thriving Communities Groups which comprised a wide range of local groups that had been meeting and developing action plans for programmes to support recovery under a number of themes.  Members noted the summary of the spending and earmarked allocations for Food and Essential Services.  Members were requested to agree a recommendation to allocate £20,000 from the 0-19 Universal Service budget to commission a Positive Role Models programme for young men in Copeland.

 

The report also covered half term/school holiday support, an update on Town Deals, Digital Services, Seascale (Fairways) Flood Alleviation and Phunky Foods.  Members were informed on the successful application made by the Copeland Libraries Team on securing digital equipment loaded with data for distribution to residents.

 

The Public Health Locality Manager updated members on local public health matters including the new approach to health promotions projects taken by the Millom ICC, a Covid update and feedback from the Copeland Health and Wellbeing Forum.  The report also included an update from Active Cumbria.

 

The Local Area Manager gave an update on the libraries and archives services.  Members noted that some libraries were operating a click and collect service.  A discussion took place around the distribution of the digital equipment obtained by the Team.

 

During the discussion that followed, a request for information on support that would be available for residents over the festive period was made.  The Area Manager agreed to provide a briefing to members on accessing Ways to Welfare.  Members discussed the proposed increase in Covid testing and arrangements for care homes and discharges from hospitals.  The Area Manager and Public Health Locality Manager outlined the ongoing work around care homes and hospital discharge pathways. 

 

A member welcomed the appointment of a Family Court Support Officer and  McKenzie Friend.  The importance of financial support guidance being made widely available for residents was highlighted.  The Area Manager advised on funding that had been made available to a number of organisations to assist with this and a flyer for residents was currently in development.  The Development Officer, Active Cumbria advised members on the active grant scheme.  It was hoped that further funding would be made available. 

 

Members thanked the Team for all the work they were undertaking at this time.

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  the current budget position, outlined in Appendix 1 to the report, be noted;

 

(2)  the use of £20,000 from the 0-19 Universal Services budget towards a commissioned youth project, outlined in paragraph 4.10 of the report, be approved.

 

41.

Local Committee Chairs and Leadership pdf icon PDF 89 KB

To note the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 14 September 2020 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,   that the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 14 September 2020 be noted.

 

42.

COPELAND CHAMPIONS UPDATE

To receive updates from the following Copeland Champions:-

 

Armed Forces Champion

Autism Champion

Children’s Champion

Dementia Champion

Fire Champion

Health Champion

 

Minutes:

Health Champion

 

The Health Champion updated members on the two special meetings of the West Cumbria Community Forum that were held on the issue of the One Stop Breast Clinic at West Cumbria Hospital.  It was noted that progress had been made in recruitment but there were still problems in restarting the service.  The Health Champion would keep members informed of progress

 

Childrens Champion

 

The Children’s Champion gave a brief update to members on work being undertaken by the Childrens Locality Group on domestic violence and perpetrators and looking to convey the message of positive relationships through sports and help that was available.   The Champion outlined work ongoing by Family Action to assist families through the festive period.

 

Armed Forces Champion

 

The Armed Forces Champion informed members that a meeting of the Armed Forces Covenant would be held in the near future.  It was recognised that Remembrance Sunday this year had been very different but people had organised their own way of remembering.

 

Fire Champion

 

The Fire Champion informed members of the question he had raised at full council on the Fire Services’ RRVs pilot scheme.  A response to the question was anticipated. 

 

Autism Champion

 

The Autism Champion updated members on two meetings he had attended with Partner agencies and individuals  focussing on what services are being provided in Copeland for people living with dementia and their carers.

Members heard that the Memory Team were now providing urgent help and were not doing their 6 or 12 monthly reviews.  They feel if people could access the internet it would really help.  Organisations were asking people during phone calls about digital access and signposting those who needed help to the Council’s Community & Learning Skills digital courses, Dignity in Dementia, Ability Net and volunteers trained with digital skills.

It was noted that the Alzheimer’s Society had a Singing for the Brain Virtual Session and was looking to start a Cumbria-wide Virtual Café.  CASS would also be delivering a Copeland Singing for the Brain imminently.

 

The Chair thanked the Champions for their updates.

 

43.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members serving on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee.

 

Minutes:

There were no updates given at the meeting.

 

44.

NUCLEAR ISSUES

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues.

 

Minutes:

Cllr D Southward, the Cabinet Member for Economic Development and Property updated the Committee on nuclear issues.  The update focussed on the anticipated Government’s Energy White Paper, Advanced Modular Reactors  (AMRs), nuclear sites and the Government’s intention for financing the projects.  It was hoped that the White Paper would offer clarity on the nuclear agenda.

 

Following the update, it was proposed and agreed that Copeland Local Committee write directly to RWM expressing representative interest on the Working Group to ensure all tiers of local government were represented.

 

The Chair thanked the Cabinet Member for his update.

 

45.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting of Copeland Local Committee will be held on 18 January 2021 at 10.15 am.

 

Minutes:

It was noted that the next meeting of the Local Committee will be held on 18 January 2021 at 10.15 am.