Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland - Monday, 13th September, 2021 10.15 am

Venue: Cleator Moor Civic Hall and Masonic Centre, Jacktrees Road, Cleator Moor, CA25 5AU

Contact: Lorraine Davis  Email: lorraine.davis@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Mr D Southward, Mr D Wilson and Mr A Wonnacott.

 

2.

Election of Chair

To elect a Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED, that Mr K Hitchen be elected Chair for the ensuing year.

 

3.

Election of Vice Chair

To elect a Vice Chair of the Local Committee for the ensuing year.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED, that Mr D Wilson be elected Vice Chair for the ensuing year.

 

4.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

Mr G Roberts declared a non-pecuniary interest in Agenda Item No 9 – Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan for Whitehaven and Agenda Item No 10 – Area Planning Report – as a member of Whitehaven Town Council.

 

Mr F Morgan declared a non-pecuniary interest in Agenda Item No 10 – Area Planning Report – as a Board Member of Phoenix Enterprise Centre.

 

Ms E Williamson declared a personal interest in Agenda Item No 10 – Area Planning Report – as an employee of Copeland Borough Council.

 

Mr M Hawkins declared a non-pecuniary interest in Agenda Item No 10 – Area Planning Report – as a member of Beck Bottom Garden Group and Healthy Hopes.

 

 

5.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

6.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There are no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements to be considered at the meeting.

 

7.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 435 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 2 March 2021 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the minutes of the meeting held on 2 March 2021 be agreed as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

8.

Presentation from Chair of RWM Copeland Working Group and Nuclear Issues pdf icon PDF 1 MB

To receive a presentation from Mark Cullinan, Chair of RWM Copeland Working Group and discuss any relevant nuclear issues (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

Members received a presentation from Mark Cullinan, Independent Chair of the Copeland Geological Disposal Facility (GDF) Working Group.  The presentation outlined how a GDF could provide a major long-term sustainable community opportunity and could provide for long-term management of higher activity radioactivity waste.  Mr Cullinan outlined Radioactive Waste Management’s (RWM) role in the process and stated that communities were at the heart of the siting process.  RWM would be working with local authorities and place leaders to build positive visions for the long-term future.

 

Members were informed of the membership of the Copeland GDF working group and the Group’s areas for consideration.  Members noted that the areas of consideration would be defined using Copeland Borough Council’s electoral ward boundaries, had the potential for development deep under the seabed but excluded the Lake District National Park area.  The tasks for the Working Group included identifying a search area or areas as well as engagement with the public locally and identifying initial membership for a Community Partnership.  Mr Cullinan outlined the Working Group’s events, activities and key milestones for 2021.

 

The local member for Egremont North and St Bees raised awareness of potential boundary changes and asked if the Working Group had taken these into account as well as the decision of the government on Local Government Reform (LGR).  The member reiterated the Local Committee’s desire to be involved in the Working Group and asked that, in the event of a formation of a Community Partnership, an invite be sent to the Local Committee for representation.  Mr Cullinan advised that the Working Group was following government policy, working with what was in place at present, but future anticipated changes would be taken into account.  It was confirmed that if a Community Partnership was formed, representatives from the existing and shadow authorities would be asked for representation.  In answer to a member’s question on collaboration with the Chair of Allerdale’s Working Group, the Committee were advised that they were two separate Groups.

 

The local member for Cleator Moor East and Frizington advised on potential extensions to the Lake District National Park boundaries and it was agreed that the Area Manager supply Mr Cullinan with this information.

 

The local member for Kells and Sandwith had attended an event organised by the Working Group and found it to be very informative.  As Chair of the Children and Young People’s Working Group, the local member highlighted the importance of giving children and young people a voice in the process and agreed to provide Mr Cullinan with contact details of local groups for engagement. 

 

In answer to a member’s question on the interests of the four independent parties serving on the Working Group, Mr Cullinan agreed to provide the details of these which were publically available.  The Chair asked about the involvement of non-government organisations in the process and Mr Cullinan confirmed that at the Community Partnership stage, local interest groups would be invited to have an input into the process.  It was noted that with  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) pdf icon PDF 399 KB

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

The purpose of this report is to inform of the progress on the production of a local cycling and walking infrastructure plan (LCWIP) for Whitehaven and to seek a contribution from Copeland Local Committee towards the programme.

 

Minutes:

Members received a report on the progress on the production of a local cycling and walking infrastructure plan (LCWIP) for Whitehaven and were requested to provide a contribution towards the programme.

 

The Area Manager presented the report and advised that discussions had been held with Copeland Borough Council and Cumbria LEP to secure funding for the Whitehaven LCWIP.  It was noted that Cumbria LEP were providing £5,000 towards the cost and Copeland Borough Council were considering the request for funding.  The cost of the LCWIP to be produced by WSP was £30,830 and the Local Committee were requested to provide a £15,830 allocation to deliver the Plan.  An initial public consultation on the emerging cycling and walking network had taken place in July and August, the results of which would feed into the next phase of the LCWIP development and further consultation was planned for Winter 2021, prior to the completion of the Plan by Spring 2022.

 

In discussion, members were supportive of the scheme, recognising that the LCWIP could be used to support funding bids to central government, encouraged a healthy lifestyle and promoted Cumbria as an excellent place to cycle.  Members felt that partnership working with Copeland Borough Council was imperative and a formal request for their investment should be made as it tied in with their Climate Change strategy.  Other potential funding sources such as Whitehaven Town Council and Parish Councils were discussed.

 

RESOLVED,the sum of £15,830 be allocated from the general purpose budget to allow for the development of a Whitehaven LCWIP.

 

10.

2021/22 LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED HIGHWAYS BUDGET pdf icon PDF 370 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Devolved Budget Finance figures and includes an update on the Highways Revenue and Capital Programme for Copeland.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report presenting the Highways devolved budget finance figures and included an update on the Highways revenue and capital programme for Copeland, details of which were contained within the appendices to the report.

 

The Local Area Network Manager (the officer) advised that two schemes under the additionally funded Environment Fund and Control Outbreak Management Fund (COMF) had commenced – a rural footpath linking Haverigg to Poolside at Sandham Lane and the creation of a new footpath at Silecroft to improve links for visitors and local residents.

 

In discussion, the local member for Egremont North and St Bees advised of a drainage issue at Moor Row and suggested that the Borough Council and County Council work together to address this.  The officer was thanked for his attendance at a residents’ meeting in Kells and a walkabout at Corkickle.  An update on the Copeland Remainder TRO was given by the Traffic Management Team Leader and officers agreed to report back on the schedule for TRO reviews.  The Chair advised that Whitehaven Town Council had requested a meeting with those members whose divisions it included and officers on traffic and parking issues in Whitehaven and a date for this was awaited.

 

RESOLVED, that

 

(1)  the devolved revenue and capital budget allocations for 2021/22 and the commitments and expenditure recorded in the appendices to the report be agreed and kept under review;

 

(2)  the Highways revenue budget, currently forecasting a balanced budget be noted;

 

(3)  the Highways devolved capital budget, currently forecasting a a balanced budget be noted.

 

11.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 194 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides details of the meeting of the Highways Working Group held on 9 April 2021 and 29 June 2021 and presents recommendations for the Local Committee to consider.  

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report giving details of the outcome of the meetings of the Copeland Highways Working Group held on 9 April and 23 June 2021.  The minutes of the meetings were appended to the report.

 

An update on the Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (ETRO) for a School Streets project at St Patrick’s Primary School, Cleator Moor was given by the Traffic Management Team Leader.  Members noted that the trial scheme would commence after the October half term holidays and if successful, could be introduced in other areas.  The local member for Kells and Sandwith advised that immediate alternative action was needed to address road safety issues at schools in Kells.

 

In discussion of the A595, members expressed concerns that no schemes were readily available or being progressed.  A meeting had taken place with National Highways, the local MP and members to lobby for and advance viable schemes and that pressure needed to be maintained on National Highways to ensure this happened. It was suggested that the Chair of the Local Committee meet with other Local Committee Chairs on the whole A595 strategic corridor. 

 

The new HIAMS system was discussed and members highlighted the need for training on the new system.  The local member for Cleator Moor West reported that dropped kerb measures were needed in Distington to assist staff and residents of a local care home and the Local Area Network Manager agreed to look at this.  It was suggested that the Highways Working Group look at National Highways’ new strategy document and form a collective Copeland response to this.

 

RESOLVED,that the minutes of the meetings of the Copeland Highways Working Group held on 9 April and 23 June 2021 be noted.

 

12.

Leader Decision Records Update pdf icon PDF 388 KB

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report which updated on the five Leader Decision Records (LDR) taken on the Committee’s behalf since their meeting in March 2021.  It was noted that five LDRs had been agreed over the past three months.  Four signed LDRs were appended to the report and an update on the School Streets Initiative had been given in the previous agenda item.

 

RESOLVED,that the five Leader Decision Records taken be noted

13.

AREA PLANNING REPORT pdf icon PDF 585 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides an update on the activity undertaken by the Communities Team since its last briefing and also advises on the current budget position.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report from the Area Manager with an update of activity undertaken by the Community Team since their last meeting of the Local Committee.  Members were also advised on their current budget position.  The report made reference to the current Covid 19 response and recovery activities.

 

Members heard how the Community Development Team had provided support as part of the multi-agency response to the reported landslip at Parton.  St Bridget’s school remained in a cordon zone with a temporary building accommodating the pupils being planned.  The Area Manager advised the Committee that the Team were continuing to support projects which emerged as a response to Covid 19 recovery and support member champions.  The Team had also supported the work being undertaken regarding flooding in Millom and Haverigg by engaging with local stakeholders and arranging information sessions for local residents.

 

Members noted the current Local Committee budget for 2021/22 which was attached at Appendix 1 to the report and that the Money Advice Contract of £57,060 had been awarded to Citizen’s Advice Bureau through a Leader’s Decision.

 

Members were asked to agree the annual 2021/22 school crossing patrol service level agreement with Orian Limited which was appended to the report at Appendix 3.  It was noted that due to an underspend in the school crossing patrol budget last year, £7,550 had been carried forward.  Members were asked to vire £4,500 from the 2021/22 0-19 budget line to cover the budget gap.

 

Members were asked to agree the allocation of the budget provision of £86,307 to the Community Development Team for continuation of their work.  Members were also requested to allocate the 0-19 budget of £55,667 and the virement of the 11-19 budget to the Children and Young People’s Partnership for distribution.  Members noted that in addition to the grant provisions, additional funding including the Control Outbreak Management Fund and the Environment Fund, had been made available and the summary of the agreed projects were listed in the report.  Members were asked to identify and put forward any groups eligible for grants. 

 

The Area Manager updated members on library services.  Suggestions for additional services such as “borrow a person” and a clothing library were made.  A short discussion took place around Whitehaven and Millom libraries. 

 

The Public Health Locality Manager gave a public health update which included the latest Covid figures, the Covid vaccination programme, highlighted the importance of flu vaccinations and listed public health events that had and were due to take place.  Both the Public Health Locality Manager and the Health Champion highlighted the immense pressures faced by both the NHS and Social Care system and the serious risk of hospitals been overwhelmed.  The Health Champion discussed World Suicide Prevention Day and the Area Manager reported that a presentation from Every Life Matters would be on the next Local Committee’s agenda.  Members noted that the next meeting of the Copeland Health and Wellbeing Forum would be held on 8 October.

 

RESOLVED, that

 

(1)  the current budget position outlined  ...  view the full minutes text for item 13.

14.

COPELAND CHAMPIONS UPDATE

To receive updates from the following Copeland Champions:-

 

Armed Forces Champion

Autism Champion

Children’s Champion

Dementia Champion

Fire Champion

Health Champion

 

Minutes:

Children’s Champion

 

The Children’s Champion updated members on work undertaken by South Whitehaven Youth Partnership for the summer Fit Fun Fed programme.  Members were also informed that the University of Cumbria had been commissioned to undertake a survey of 11-18 years to engage and give a voice to young people.  The results of the survey would be looked at in detail by the Children and Young People’s Working Group. 

 

Autism Champion

 

The Autism Champion reported that the Cumbria Autism Champions Group had developed a work plan for the year and new terms of reference for this Group had been agreed.  Members noted that the Autism Champion was now a board member of the Copeland and Allerdale Support Group and his main parental contacts involved transport provision.  The Autism Champion had made the relevant Cabinet Member aware of how unsettling changes were for people with autism and requested this be taken into account when renewing transport provision contracts.  To conclude the Autism Champion advised members that Whitehaven Town Council were linking up with Day Services in Hensingham.

 

Dementia Champion

 

The Dementia Champion advised members that the Copeland Dementia Friends Group had prioritised development of a booklet for those newly diagnosed with dementia.  The Dementia Champion outlined the work and events organised by Dignity in Dementia.

 

The Chair informed the Committee of the work being undertaken with the Copeland Citizen Panel to establish a member champion to support their work on Climate and the Environment.  Information on this was available to members on Copeland Borough Council’s website.

 

The Community Team were thanked for their help and support for the work undertaken.

 

15.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members serving on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee.

 

Minutes:

There were no updates given at the meeting.

 

16.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting of Copeland Local Committee will be held on 16 November 2021.

 

Minutes:

It was noted that the next meeting of the Local Committee will be held on 16 November 2021 at 10.15 am at Cleator Moor Civic Hall.