Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland - Tuesday, 16th November, 2021 10.15 am

Venue: Cleator Moor Civic Hall

Contact: Lorraine Davis  Email: lorraine.davis@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

17.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

An apology for absence was received from Mr M Barbour.

 

18.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

Mr G Roberts declared a non-pecuniary interest in Agenda Item No 7 – 2021/22 Local Committee Devolved Highways Budget - as a member of Whitehaven Town Council.

 

19.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

20.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There are no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

There were no questions, petitions or statements to be considered at the meeting.

 

21.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 311 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 13 September 2021 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the minutes of the meeting held on 13 September 2021 be agreed as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

Further to Minute 8, it was agreed a further request be made to the Independent Chair of the RWM Working Group to provide the publically available details of the interests of the four independent parties serving on the Working Group.

 

22.

Family Action Local Committee Update pdf icon PDF 802 KB

To receive a presentation from Family Action (to follow).

 

Minutes:

Members received a presentation from the Assistant Director and the Service Manager of Family Action, 0 – 19 Child and Family Support Service.  It was reported that Family Action was a national charity and had been in Cumbria since 1 January 2020.  The Assistant Director advised that Family Action had won the award of Charity of the Year 2021 at the Third Sector Awards and informed members of the numbers of families that the charity was supporting nationally.  The Committee was informed of some of the national services on offer which included a dedicated telephone line service and a schools’ breakfast programme.  It was agreed that the links to these services be circulated to members for dissemination. 

 

The Assistant Director advised on adaptions that had been made in service delivery during the pandemic, family action activities in the Copeland area during the second quarter of 21/22 and the next steps for Copeland services.  To conclude the Assistant Director informed the Committee of some positive feedback that their services had received from families.

 

The Local Member for Mirehouse requested information on SEND services and how this could be tailored and done in partnership with existing support groups.  The Senior Manager agreed to send the relevant links and liaise with the Local Member outside of the meeting. 

 

The Local Member for Cleator Moor East and Frizington asked about core service delivery and where the scope was to ensure local needs were met.  The Assistant Director replied that all opportunities needed to be maximised and national resources utilised.

 

The Local Member for Kells and Sandwith praised the work of the staff and highlighted the tremendous work that had taken place with partners to distribute digital devices during the pandemic.  The Local Member felt that more services needed to be tailored to meet the needs of the older end of the age range.  The Senior Manager outlined some projects that were taking place but recognised that more were needed to be developed and confirmed that this was on Family Action’s agenda. 

 

The Local Member for Egremont North and St Bees discussed the positive opportunities of remote communication that had arisen from the pandemic.  The Assistant Director confirmed that they continued to offer a flexible approach in the delivery of their services. 

 

The Local Member for Bransty asked about the main changes in service delivery.  The Assistant Director explained the extended age range, the larger offer of a range of services and having access to the charity’s national resources.  The Assistant Director said that families were at the heart of their work and confirmed their commitment of partnership working. 

 

In discussion of Local Government Reform, the Assistant Director requested involvement in this wherever possible.

 

Members thanked the officers for their attendance and very informative presentation.

 

RESOLVED, that the presentation be noted.

 

23.

2021/22 LOCAL COMMITTEE DEVOLVED HIGHWAYS BUDGET pdf icon PDF 372 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report presents the Highways Devolved Budget Finance figures and includes an update on the Highways Revenue and Capital Programme for Copeland.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report presenting the Highways revenue and capital programme for Copeland, details of which were contained within the appendices to the report.

 

Members were informed that top slicing had now been applied to the Highways Revenue budget, which was now predicting an overspend of £131,446.  It was noted however the that top slicing had yet to be applied to the Devolved Capital budget and adjustments were still being made to the figures.  An updated report would be submitted to the next meeting of the Local Committee.  The Local Area Network Manager estimated that the overspend in the revenue budget would be reduced significantly once these adjustments had been completed.

 

The team’s staffing levels and recruitment was discussed.  The Vice Chair thanked officers for the excellent work undertaken on the Haverigg to Poolside footpath.  The Local Area Network Manager updated the Local Member for Kells and Sandwith on a local ivy problem and advised that letters had been sent out to the concerned properties.  The Local Area Network Manager agreed to report back to members who had responsibility for the maintenance of the Viking Way cycle path.  The Traffic Management Team Leader advised the Committee on the current position of the Copeland Remainder TRO review and further advised that the Copeland TRO review would commence in April 2022.

 

A discussion took place on training for members on the HIAMS system.  Members requested formal training, the production of a step by step guide and training to be arranged for Parish/Town Councils.  The Area Manager encouraged members to use the reporting system as it would attract more funding.  The Local Member for Cleator Moor East and Frizington agreed to raise the request for training at the Members’ Development Group.

 

RESOLVED, that

 

(1)  the devolved revenue and capital budget allocations for 2021/22 and the commitments and expenditure recorded in Appendices 1 and 2 be agreed and kept under review;

 

(2)  the Highways Revenue budget currently forecasting an overspend of £131,446 be noted;

 

(3)  the Highways Devolved Capital Budget forecasting an overspend of £31,838 be noted.

 

24.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 192 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides details of the meeting of the Highways Working Group held on 13 October 2021 and presents recommendations for the Local Committee to consider.  

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was given to members detailing the discussions and recommendations of the Copeland Highways Working Group which met on the 13 October 2021.The minutes from the meeting were appended to the report.  The Local Area Network Manager advised the Committee on the progress of the COMF schemes since the meeting of the Highways Working Group. 

 

The Local Member for Egremont North and St Bees thanked officers for the footpath work undertaken at Outrigg, St Bees and requested assistance on street lighting issues in St Bees.  The Local Member also suggested dialogue take place with National Highways following recent flooding on the A595.  The Local Member for Cleator Moor highlighted the lack of a street sweeping programme which exacerbated the problem.  It was noted that the Borough Council only undertook street sweeping when requested so members were asked to identify areas of concern and submit these to the Borough Council.

 

The Traffic Team Leader agreed to provide an update to members on the St Patrick’s School Streets Initiative. 

 

The Local Member for Cleator Moor West reported that, at the November Council meeting, he had made a request for information on the commitments of Section 278 and 106  agreements over the past 5 years.  The Local Member felt it was imperative for these contributions to be received so that vital improvement work to the public highway could be made.

 

RESOLVED,that the minutes of the Copeland Highways Working Group held on 13 October 2021 be noted.

 

25.

AREA PLANNING REPORT pdf icon PDF 455 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report by the Executive Director – Corporate, Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides Local Committee with an update on the activity undertaken by the Communities Team since its last meeting.  It is also to advise Members on their current budget position.  This report also includes an update on the ongoing COVID 19 response and recovery activities.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Area Manager presented a report that gave an update on the activity undertaken by the Communities Team since the last Local Committee meeting. The report also advised Members on their current budget position and an update on the ongoing COVID 19 response and recovery activities.

 

Members noted the work of the Community Development Team which included flood related work in Millom and Haverigg, partnership work with the NHS to promote and raise awareness of a vaccine drop in clinic and response to and recovery from the impacts of Covid. 

 

The Area Manager informed the Committee that to assist the work of the Team, a temporary Community Development Assistant had been appointed allowing the current Community Development Assistant to deal with COMF projects.  During a discussion on COMF funding, the Area Manager agreed to circulate the criteria for funding to members.  Various projects that could benefit from COMF funding were raised at the meeting.

 

The Area Manager informed members that the Millom hub project was progressing to the next stage of development following a grant award from Sellafield Sites of £250,000.

 

The Copeland Children and Young People’s partnership had met in October and identified projects and suggested that the remainder of the 0-19 universal services budget be ring fenced to support these projects.  Members were asked to note grant funding and endorse projects exceeding £5,000 .  Members were also asked to note a change of use to previously recommended funding, details of which were listed in the report. 

 

The Local Member for Egremont North and St Bees asked that advanced work take place for the Egremont Crab Fair and other organised local events. 

 

Following a question from the Local Member for Bransty, the Local Member for Kells and Sandwith updated members on the work that was taking place around the emerging public health issue of gambling.

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  the current budget position outlined in Appendix 1 to the report be noted;

 

(2)  the ring fencing of £40,000 of the 0-19 Universal Services in support of projects emerging from the Copeland Youth Consultation report be approved;

 

(3)  an allocation of £12,000 from the COMF Harnessing Local Capacity to South Copeland Partnership to provide community based support to those disproportionally impacted by Covid 19 be agreed;

 

(4)  an allocation of £25,000 from COMF Harnessing Local Capacity for Women Out West to deliver additional services to this vulnerable group dealing with the significant impacts endured during the pandemic be agreed.

 

26.

Local Committee Revised Terms of Reference pdf icon PDF 354 KB

To note the revised Local Committees’ Terms of Reference (copy enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report which advised of the revised Terms of Reference for Local Committees.  It was noted that the proposed draft Terms of Reference were considered by the Constitution Review Group on 28 July 2021 and then reviewed and approved by Council on 7 September and now replaced the previous Terms of Reference as Part 2D of the Council’s Constitution.

 

RESOLVED,that the revised Terms of Reference for Local Committees be noted.

 

27.

Local Committee Chairs and Leadership Meeting pdf icon PDF 433 KB

To note the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee and Leadership meeting held on 27 September 2021 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

The Committee received the minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 27 September 2021.

 

RESOLVED,that minutes of the Local Committee Chairs and Leadership meeting held on 27 September 2021 be noted.

 

28.

COPELAND CHAMPIONS UPDATE

To receive updates from the following Copeland Champions:-

 

Armed Forces Champion

Autism Champion

Children’s Champion

Dementia Champion

Fire Champion

Health Champion

 

Minutes:

Health Champion

 

The Health Champion advised the Committee on training events being organised on Vaccine Hesitancy and reported the latest Covid death figures.  The Committee heard that how the hospitals and the NHS remained under pressure and members were urged to promote the take up of Covid and flu jabs.

 

Armed Forces Champion

 

The Armed Forces Champion advised the Committee of the fantastic Remembrance Day Service.

 

Children’s Champion

 

The Children’s Champion advised members that Whitehaven South Partnership had been successful in a funding bid that would enable Phoenix Enterprise to supply children with bags of food/activities. 

 

Dementia Champion

 

The Dementia Champion updated members on progress of the production of a leaflet that was to be circulated to GP surgeries offering support to carers and people newly diagnosed with dementia.

 

The Champions were thanked for their updates.

 

29.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members serving on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee.

 

Minutes:

There were no updates given at the meeting.

 

30.

NUCLEAR ISSUES

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues.

 

Minutes:

Mr D Southward, the Cabinet Member for Economic Development and Property updated the Committee on nuclear issues.  The Cabinet Member advised that Rolls Royce been awarded the contract for production of small modular reactors (SMRs), discussed Fusion power and concluded on the geological disposal facility (GDF) proposals.

 

A lengthy discussion took place around GDF, the RWM Working Group and representation on the newly formed Mid Community Partnership and soon to be formed South Copeland Community Partnership.  The Local Member for Cleator Moor West expressed concerns on the interests of the independent parties serving on the Working Group.  Other members spoke in support of representation so that transparency and influence could be applied. 

 

The Local Member for Cleator Moor East and Frizington made two proposals, the first that a referral be made to Cabinet that the Local Committee wished the County Council to be represented on the recently formed Mid Copeland Community Partnership and the South Copeland Community Partnership when formed.  On being put to the vote, this was agreed (8 members in favour and 2 abstentions).  The second proposal was that the Local Committee regret the action of the Leader and his comments at the November Council meeting that invitations to join the Working Group be dismissed as a vexatious complainant and request the Leader write a letter of apology to the Independent Chair for these comments.  On being to the vote, this was agreed (7 members in favour and 3 against).

 

The Local Member for Gosforth then made a proposal that a letter be sent on behalf of the Local Committee to the Independent Chair to ask that the Partnership consider taking a representative from the Local Committee as a Community Member.  It was agreed that if appropriate, following legal advice, that the Chair of the Local Committee write this letter.

 

RESOLVED, that

 

(1)  a referral be made to Cabinet that it is the Local Committee’s wish for the County Council to be represented on the recently formed Mid Copeland Community Partnership and the South Copeland Community Partnership when formed;

 

(2)  that the Local Committee regret the action of the Leader and his comments at the November Council meeting that invitations to join the Working Group be dismissed as a vexatious complainant and request the Leader to write a letter of apology to the Independent Chair for these comments;

 

(3)  if appropriate, following legal advice, the Chair on behalf of the Local Committee write a letter to the Independent Chair to ask that the Partnership consider taking a representative from the Local Committee as a Community Member.

 

31.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting of Copeland Local Committee will be held on 18 January 2022 at 10.15 am at Cleator Moor Civic Hall.

 

Minutes:

It was noted that the next meeting would be held on 18 January 2022 at 10.15 am at Cleator Moor Civic Hall.