Agenda and draft minutes

County Council Local Committee for Copeland - Wednesday, 20th July, 2022 10.15 am

Venue: Millom Network Centre, Unit 3, Devonshire Road Industrial Estate, Millom LA18 4JS

Contact: Lorraine Davis  Email: lorraine.davis@cumbria.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

14.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Ms E Williamson, Mr A Lamb, Mr G Roberts and Mr M Barbour.

 

15.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are invited to disclose any disclosable pecuniary interest they have in any item on the agenda which comprises:-

 

1          Details of any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

 

2          Details of any payment or provision of any other financial benefit (other than from the authority) made or provided within the relevant period in respect of any expenses incurred by you in carrying out duties as a member, or towards your election expenses.  (This includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

 

3          Details of any contract which is made between you (or a body in which you have a beneficial interest) and the authority

 

(a)       Under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed; and

 

            (b)       Which has not been fully discharged.

 

4          Details of any beneficial interest in land which is within the area of the authority. 

 

5          Details of any licence (alone or jointly with others) to occupy land in the area of the authority for a month or longer. 

 

6          Details of any tenancy where (to your knowledge)

 

            (a)       The landlord is the authority; and

 

(b)       The tenant is a body in which you have a beneficial interest.

 

7          Details of any beneficial interest in securities of a body where

 

(a)       That body (to your knowledge) has a place of business or land in the area of the authority; and

 

(b)       Either –

 

(i)      The total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or

 

(ii)     If that share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which the relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.

 

In addition, you must also disclose other non-pecuniary interests set out in the Code of Conduct where these have not already been registered.

 

Note

A “disclosable pecuniary interest” is an interest of a councillor or their partner (which means spouse or civil partner, a person with whom they are living as husband or wife, or a person with whom they are living as if they are civil partners).   

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest made at the meeting.

 

16.

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider whether the press and public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the press and public be not excluded from the meeting during consideration of any item on the agenda.

 

17.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There are no public questions, statements or petitions to be considered at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

There was no public participation received for this meeting.

 

18.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 204 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Local Committee held on 20 May 2022 (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED,that the minutes of the meeting held on 20 May 2022 be agreed as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

19.

Whitehaven Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plans pdf icon PDF 159 KB

To consider a report of the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

The purpose of this report is to seek approval of the Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) for Whitehaven.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report on the Whitehaven Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (2022 –2037) (LCWIP).  It was noted that the Cumbria Transport Infrastructure Plan (2022 – 2037) set out the strategy for Active Travel in Cumbria and the development of LCWIPs were a key part of this.  The draft Whitehaven LCWIP Plan was appended to the report and outlined the network of key cycling and walking routes in the district. The focus of the Whitehaven LCWIP was the improvement of routes used for everyday shorter journeys, such as to work, school or the shops. It aimed to identify good quality infrastructure that connects the places people need to get to, in a coherent, direct, safe and attractive way.

 

It was noted that the Whitehaven LCWIP was a not a funded plan however, having an LCWIP in place would put the Council in the best possible position to secure future funding for the delivery of improvements.  Public consultation on the draft LCWIP proposals had been undertaken.  If the Plan was approved at this meeting, it would then be submitted to Copeland Borough Council and Whitehaven Town Council for endorsement.

 

The Local Member for Egremont North and St Bees questioned why and expressed disappointment that the cycle route extending out to St Bees had been classed as a priority 2 route (delivery within 8 years, subject to funding) and not as priority 1 (delivery within 5 years, again subject to funding).  The Local Member asked if this could be reprioritised.  This request was supported by other members.  The Lead Officer, Infrastructure Planning explained that uncertainty and delayed decision making on the proposed West Cumbria Mine had affected the prioritisation of this route.  The Local Member asked for the prioritisation to be reviewed once a decision had been made by Secretary of State for Levelling up, Housing and Communities on the Mine.  The officer agreed there was scope for the Executive Director, after consultation with the Chair, Vice Chair and Local Member, to do this.

 

Government delays in decision making, the non-submission of a bid to the levelling up fund by Copeland Borough Council and the lack of a Copeland Local Plan and the effect of these on the LCWIP were discussed.  The officer outlined the partnership work that was taking place with the Borough Council on active travel schemes and reported on other possible funding sources that would be available.

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  the LCWIP for Whitehaven be approved;

 

(2)  authority be delegated to the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure in consultation with the Chair and Vice Chair of the Local Committee to make any necessary minor amendments to the Whitehaven LCWIP prior to its publication.

 

20.

Parking Services Presentation pdf icon PDF 445 KB

To receive a presentation on Parking Services (copy enclosed).

 

Minutes:

Members received a presentation from the Parking Manager which outlined the Council’s parking services structure, their aims and objectives and penalty charge notices issued in the Copeland area during 2021/22. 

 

The Parking Manager highlighted the impact that Covid had on service delivery and the difficulties of delivering services in rural locations.  Members noted that partnership working took place with various internal and external organisations.  The number of visits undertaken by patrols in the Copeland area were outlined as well as a breakdown of penalty charge notices issued in specific locations. 

 

To conclude the Parking Manager advised members of countywide penalty notices for 2021/22, the production of the Annual Parking report 2021/22 and outlined future challenges faced by the services.

 

Members, in discussion, highlighted various locations where parking caused issues, specifically mentioning St Bees, Mirehouse and Cleator Moor.  Patrol attendance at school peak times was discussed.  The Parking Manager confirmed that a school patrol schedule was in place whilst acknowledging difficulties in patrolling rural schools.  The Parking Service Team Leader (West) reported that visibility of patrol cars was sometimes enough of a deterrent.  It was agreed that specific parking problems be raised and discussed at the Copeland Highways Working Group. 

 

It was noted that a review of the Whitehaven Traffic Regulation Order was due to commence later in the year providing opportunities for the Traffic Management Team to find solutions to resolve issues. 

 

The Local Member for Gosforth thanked the service for the work undertaken during the Covid period.  It was acknowledged that the cost of a PCN sometimes wasn’t a big enough deterrent.  The officer agreed to provide mapping for the Gosgorth-Levens Bridge area to the Local Member for Gosforth.

 

The Local Member for Cleator Moor West questioned the cost neutrality of the service and emphasised the need for targeted enforcement.  Local Government reform and the merging of parking services was discussed.

 

The officers were thanked for their informative presentation and the Chair requested attendance at a further meeting on progress made on the future challenges faced by the service.

 

21.

COPELAND HIGHWAYS WORKING GROUP pdf icon PDF 150 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report of the Executive Director – Economy and Infrastructure (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides details of the meeting of the Highways Working Group held on 22 June 2022 and presents recommendations for the Local Committee to consider.  

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report detailing the discussions and recommendations from the meeting of the Copeland Highways Working Group held on 22 June.  The minutes from the meeting were appended to the report.

 

The Local Area Network Manager confirmed that the highway budget top-slicing exercise had been completed and a highways budget report would be on the Local Committee’s agenda for the September meeting.   The officer also confirmed that the letter, requested at the last Local Committee meeting, had been sent to the Local MP for Copeland and to the Chairman of the House of Commons Transport Select Committee and the Chair was following up a response to that letter.  The timescale for implementation of the Copeland Remainder TRO was given.

 

The officer agreed to chase National Highways again for the planned date of the launch of National Highways’ public relations campaign to inform of the improvement work on Moresby Embankment.

 

RESOLVED,that the minutes of the meeting of the meeting of the Copeland Highways Working Group held on 22 June 2022 be noted.

 

22.

Consultation on potential change of age range to St Bees Village Primary School pdf icon PDF 181 KB

To consider a report of the Executive Director – People (copy enclosed).

 

This report provides background on the current formal consultation being undertaken by the county council on the proposed change of age range at St Bees Village Primary School from 4 to 11 years to a new range of 2 to 11 years.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A report was received providing the background of the recent formal consultation being undertaken by the council on the proposed change of age range at St Bees Village Primary School from 4 to 11 years to a new range of 2 to 11 years.

 

Members noted that St Bees Pre-school was a thriving Governor–led nursery which the Head and School Governors now wanted to integrate more fully into the primary school.  The extension of age range would allow the school to more effectively share its resources with the nursery without the children in the nursery noticing any changes to their day-to-day routine.  The school had recruited an additional fully qualified teacher for September 2022 to comply with the staffing requirements of the move to a maintained nursery.

 

It was noted that as St Bees Village Primary School was a community school and it was the responsibility of the Council’s Cabinet to make the decision on whether to publish notices following the consideration of responses received during the consultation process.  The consultation on the age range change started on 6 June 2022 and ran until 15 July 2022.  The consultation letter was attached as Appendix A to the report.

 

All members spoke in support of the proposal. A question was raised by the Local Member for Cleator Moor East about the impact in terms of Ofsted by this change.  The Area Manager agreed that an answer to the question would be sought and circulated to Committee members.

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  the report be noted;

 

(2)  that the Cabinet consider feedback from the consultation, including the response made at this meeting, before deciding on next steps.

 

23.

AREA PLANNING REPORT pdf icon PDF 260 KB

[Electoral Divisions: All Copeland]

 

To consider a report of the Assistant Director – Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

This report is to bring Members up to date with the activity across Copeland and any recent developments.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report that provided an update on the activity undertaken by the Community Team since the last meeting of the Committee. 

 

The Area Manager reported on the Millom and Cleator Moor Town Deals and updated members on Borderlands - Egremont.  The report presented set out that Copeland Borough Council had approached the Council to provide a letter in support of their Levelling Up Fund application and that this letter was in development.  It was noted that funding had been secured for a Digital Inclusion Project in Allerdale and Copeland which was a collaborative project with the library service and external partners to increase digital skills across the two districts.  The Community Team had launched the Copeland Community Development Facebook page in March and had been building their following, the content relating to events and themes which link to local priorities including sharing posts from other organisations.

 

It was noted that the Allerdale and Copeland teams had promoted Dementia Awareness Week, advertising the Millom Hub engagement event and a shared Citizens Advice Bureau post on how to access grants and benefits.  An update on Street Tag was outlined in the report.  The Cumbria Youth Alliance, the Positive Role Model support service piloted in Copeland had now been reported on and will now be taken Countywide.

 

The Library & Customer Manager (Copeland) gave a Library service update which included the beginning of the summer reading challenge and the full reopening of Egremont library following lockdown.  A short discussion took place around Borrowbox.  The Public Health Locality Manager advised the latest county and national Covid figures and urged the take up of covid and flu vaccinations.

 

Members were introduced to Emma Routledge, the new Adult Learning Manager, Copeland who gave an Adult Learning update.  The Local Member for Mirehouse requested digital support at Mirehouse Community Centre and the officer agreed to look into this.

 

To conclude, the Area Manager informed members of new funding streams available, one to support residents with the rise of living costs and the other for refugees and their hosts. 

 

RESOLVED,that the report be noted.

 

24.

Invest in Our Communities pdf icon PDF 228 KB

To consider a report of the Assistant Director – Customer and Community Services (copy enclosed).

 

The report presents grant applications in excess of £5,000 for consideration and approval from the 2022-23 budget.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members received a report that presented grant applications in excess of £5,000 for consideration and approval from the 2022-23 budget.  The grant applications under £5,000 were also included for information where funding has previously been awarded to the applying organisation which would take the full amount applied for over £5,000.  The report also presented any proposals from the Environment Fund, regardless of the amount and the current budget position as at 30 June 2022 at Appendix 1.

 

It was reported that that at the grants panel in March, Members recommended the award of a grant of £12,390 to Handpicked Productions CIC to run a series of Art Gyms in Copeland.  The Art Gym would begin from September and would operate in three areas (Cleator Moor, Egremont and Seascale) culminating in exhibitions at The Beacon and Florence Arts Centre.

 

The grant amendments, outlined in the report, were noted.

 

RESOLVED,that

 

(1)  the report be noted;

 

(2)   the award of the grant of £12,390 to Handpicked Productions CIC be ratified.

 

25.

COPELAND CHAMPIONS UPDATE

To receive updates from the following Copeland Champions:-

 

Armed Forces Champion

Autism Champion

Children’s Champion

Dementia Champion

Fire Champion

Health Champion

 

Minutes:

Autism Champion

 

The Autism Champion outlined work taking place to promote and encourage adoption, by the new Cumberland Authority, of the Champion roles.

 

Health Champion

 

The Health Champion reported on items discussed at the Health and Wellbeing Forum and also advised that the Cumbria Health Scrutiny Committee, at its next meeting, would be considering NHS dentistry and undertaking a review of mental health services.

 

The Health Champion reiterated the need for the take up of covid and flu vaccinations, emphasising the offer would be extended to the over 50s.

 

Fire Champion

 

The Fire Champion reported on the Fire Services pay increase, preparation work on combatting wildfires and concerns expressed over the potential administration changes to the Fire Services.

 

Dementia Champion

 

The Chair supported the work being undertaken by the Autism Champion.

 

The Chair informed members of a very good and interesting training course he had attended, “Lets Talk Bereavement.  It was agreed to circulate the link to this course to members. 

 

The Champions were thanked for their updates.

 

26.

VERBAL UPDATE FROM MEMBERS ON OUTSIDE BODIES/EXTERNAL COMMITTEES

To receive a verbal update from members serving on any outside bodies/external committees they attend on behalf of Copeland Local Committee.

 

Minutes:

There were no updates for the meeting.

 

27.

NUCLEAR ISSUES

To discuss any relevant nuclear issues.

 

Minutes:

Mr D Southward, the Cabinet Member for Economic Development and Property updated the Committee on nuclear issues.  The Cabinet Member advised on small modular reactors (SMRs), discussed Fusion power, the STEP project and concluded on the geological disposal facility (GDF).  It was hoped that the newly formed Shadow Authority would have officers with specific knowledge of the nuclear industry.

 

The Chair advised that he was now the CALC representative on the Mid Copeland Community Partnership.

 

28.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting of Copeland Local Committee will be held on 12 September 2022 at 10.15 am at Cleator Moor Civic Hall.

 

Minutes:

It was noted that the next meeting of the Committee will be held on 12 September 2022 at 10.15 am at Cleator Moor Civic Hall.